Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2009 3:43:37 PM EDT
I know what they say about opinions but I'm going to ask for some anyway. For those of you that use an AR for hunting coyotes, what barrel length do you prefer and why?
I simply cannot make up my mind between a 20" and a 16" middy. I plan on running a free float of some sort and an H-bar profile. Not looking for a varmint profile. If I didn't have a lower already built I would probably buy a Remington with the 18" barrel and be done with it. Also, I am looking for a complete upper. I guess I could solve all my problems by just building the upper but I really don't want to go that way for some reason.

Thanks

p.s. Pics would be nice too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
R-15
18 inch barrel

1:9 twist

I like the 18 inch because easier to maneuver and handle than say a 20 or longer. And still plenty accurate. I don't shoot coyotes no further than 150 at the very very most. No need for a super long heavy stainless barrel. A 16 inch would be just fine too.

Link Posted: 12/7/2009 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
For coyotes it doesn't really matter, just preference

I had been using my 243 for coyotes till I built my lastest AR and put a 1-4x powered scope on it.

it will be my new weapon of choice for hunting yotes  I've got some 45 grain Vmaxes and alot of
federal bulk pack HP 55gr that I'm wanting to go shoot.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
LaRue Stealth would probably make a nice Coyote rifle
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
any 16inch upper with a red dot or a 1x4 power scope will work fine. Its not precision or long range work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Damn somebody needs to call the UN....i smell a Genocide!  Nice shooting pal, app. you are waging a flat-out war of attrition

I love any 16" typical 1/7 or 1/9 CL barrel with a really nice light and 3-9 optic.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Really anything in a small to med caliber works. I have used 22LR .223, .243, 22-250, 308 and 25-06 for coyote, crow and prairie dogs.

I have a SPR w/ 20" barell and 4-14x40 scope that is my current blaster. Having used my shorter A-2 carbine and the 20"SPR and HBAR I would make my next AR a 18" Noveske or Larue Stealth for varmints.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the country you hunt should dictate your barrel choice. For thicker cover 16'to 18" for fast handling would be the obvious choice.
But for the wide open spaces of the plains and the West where the wind and longer ranges are a factor the slight velocity bump and extra stability of 20" to 24' tubes is worth consideration.
I chose a 22" barrel and 3x12x scope to hunt my area, and the combo is working out well, even though my last 'yote was shot @ 30yds.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been hunting coyotes all of my adult life. My progression has been to go shorter and shorter. 99% of my shots are inside 100 yards. The handier the rifle the better. After giving up my bolt guns, I went from a 20" Bushy Predator to a 16" middy and I am know using my 14.5" carbine. Between the two you mentioned, no queston, go with the 16" middy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Typically when I think of coyote hunting I think of this but I think this is you . I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
R-15
18 inch barrel
1:9 twist
[div]I like the 18 inch because easier to maneuver and handle than say a 20 or longer. And still plenty accurate. I don't shoot coyotes no further than 150 at the very very most. No need for a super long heavy stainless barrel. A 16 inch would be just fine too.
[div]

Man, there are a some mangy-assed dogs in OK. That is quite the pile of yotes though. Good on ya.

I certainly understand the light and handy idea in a coyote rifle. My current set up is a Rem Model 7 bolt gun w/ a 20" barrel. I guess thats why I had the idea of a 20" barrel stuck in my head. A16" makes a lot more sense for what I'm looking for. I'm also intrigued by the number of you that are using red dots, etc. on your coyote rigs. I always thought that made a lot of sense. I already have a 3x9 scope for this rifle but it just might have a Burris Fastfire on it now too. Thanks for the replies.

Link Posted: 12/7/2009 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the 16", it's lighter and easier to get in and out of a vehicle.
This one is a DTI upper w/ RRA middy tube and light varmint gas block.

Link Posted: 12/7/2009 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I hunt in mostly 150yd or less type thick juniper areas.

my 16" 1/9 barrel is perfect. I mostly use 50gr nosler BTs, which keep comfortably under 1" at 100yds, and it does the job.

IMO.. the barrel length truly doesn't mean a ton, because you aren't running the coyotes down, for the most part you'll be sitting in an area calling them, waiting for them to come in. But my 16" + a2 stock is a pretty handy beater rifle.

Regarding your scope choice, you can definitely get away with a 3-9x scope, but I've had a few times calling where a coyote or a fox has "appeared" on me at 15-25yds and even through 3-4x all I see is fur if I need to make a quick shot.

I've gone to a 1-4x scope now, and that has worked out great for me so far. If it's thick, just leave the scope on 1x and you'll be able get a shot off quicker, and for some of the longer shots (out to 150ish yds) you'll still be okay because you'll have a couple seconds to adjust the scope or just wing it at stick with 1x.

My longest shot with my 1-4x scope was at 154yds, and it was most likely luck , but I've blown more shots with my AR inside 50yds than I have at 100+ yards, but that could just be my hunting area.

ETA: Don't make my same mistake and get a fancy muzzle brake. I thought I'd try a Miculek brake just for shits, and even though it was a dream to shoot, it completely rapes your ear drums and your head without earpro. Stick with a regular flash hider if anything, your ears will thank you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I built my AR just to hunt coyotes.  20" heavy stainless barrel with 1-8" twist.  It is a little heavy walking, but the extra weight comes in handy when settling in on a shot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#14]
[

Man, there are a some mangy-assed dogs in OK. That is quite the pile of yotes though. Good on ya.

[/div]

yes –––– you probably put those guys out of their misery.   I almost feel sorry for them when i see them stricken with mange that bad
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:33:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I use a DPMS  "Sport/Tactical" rifle for this purpose (and similar things)  –––– its a really basic no-frills upper receiver, flat top, with a 16" lightweight barrel –––– Feels like a feather with Magpul flip ups on it,  and is still pretty light with the scope –– shoots 1.5" 100 yard groups .  very nice rifle for the price and for the intended purpose

Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd126/pals96jl/PREDDT.jpg

I really like that setup, I think I may setup my RRA upper like that. Or maybe just build another. If I decide to swap receivers on my RRA middy this is what I am doing. Not sure if the CL, LW barrel would be the best choice tho.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#17]
If your coyote hunting is anything like mine, there's alot of walking involved. I sit and call for no more than 15-20 minutes and then try a new spot. I like a reasonably lightweight carbine with a 16" barrel for that reason. Anything longer is not really an advantage in my opinion. I think a fast optic is a necessity too. Coyotes tend to come in from a wide variety of ranges, and seem to always be running. Here's my set-up that I grab heading out the door to do most anything.

Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#18]
What kind of gas block is that? I like the bayo lug....looks like a coyote gun is in the works now. I don't "need" one, but I need an excuse to continue my BRD.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#19]
if you are steadily shooting less than 200 ... i can;t see why a 16" would not be your best bet. lighter, quicker, and accurate to that range easily. i would probably just shoot using irons at 100 or so.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#20]
if you are steadily shooting less than 200 ... i can;t see why a 16" would not be your best bet. lighter, quicker, and accurate to that range easily. i would probably just shoot using irons at 100 or so.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What kind of gas block is that? I like the bayo lug....looks like a coyote gun is in the works now. I don't "need" one, but I need an excuse to continue my BRD.

I'm not sure if you're talking about mine or not. If so, it's a Yankee Hill Machine. They are priced reasonable and it hasn't budged since the install.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If your coyote hunting is anything like mine, there's alot of walking involved. I sit and call for no more than 15-20 minutes and then try a new spot. I like a reasonably lightweight carbine with a 16" barrel for that reason. Anything longer is not really an advantage in my opinion. I think a fast optic is a necessity too. Coyotes tend to come in from a wide variety of ranges, and seem to always be running. Here's my set-up that I grab heading out the door to do most anything.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/poopile/100_1234.jpg

That's a nice setup.  You could always switch to a CavArms lower and drop another pound off the rifle weight...
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/poopile/100_1234.jpg

That's a nice setup.  You could always switch to a CavArms lower and drop another pound off the rifle weight...

Thank you. It's about 8.5 lbs. loaded now. That's pretty nice for off-hand shots. Swings pretty nice. I wouldn't want it much lighter really.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#24]
CMMG 16'' M4 upper gov profile 1/7
DD Omega free float
old Leapers Accushot 6X optic
JP reduced power trigger springs with polish job

I agree with everyone about going with the 16" middy although I would run a standard or even a light profile bbl. Weight savings WILL become addictive!!!  Esp when it comes to coyote hunting.. walking, hiking from stand to stand. I have an SBR stamp pending and when it comes through I might start running my LMT 10.5,  It will ride nice on my dirt bike. Now I wanna go hunting!!

100yds, 5.56 cases, 25.0 grns of Varget, 50Gr Barnes Varmint Grenade Bullets, 2.250 OAL, WSRP

35 Yds

Link Posted: 12/8/2009 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nice... What kinda optic?
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I second that question.  What is that?

OOps - Leapers, I saw it in his post
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks like a burris fullfield II
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#28]
i like the 16 in. just get it put together and go kill those calf eating basturds.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the info and pics. It really helped. Now I just need to find an upper and get it ordered.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks like a burris fullfield II

Yes, it is a 3-9x40 Burris FF II, best scope for the money as far as i'm concerned. Clear bright glass and i really like the balistic-plex reticle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#31]
You will have a hard time finding a complete upper in a mid-length with a FF tube. Rails are easy to come by but RRA and JP are a couple of the few that make a middy tube. That's why I ended up with a standard middy upper and swapped out the HG for a RRA tube. If you like rails, a Del-Ton custom upper with a handguard and gas block upgrade would be an affordable way to go. If your not apposed to a carbine you can do a DPMS FF tube upgrade, then upgrade the FSB to a railed gas block and you GTG. If you haven't checked these out you need to.

Del-Ton Custom Mid upper

Del-Ton Custom CAR Upper
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow those are cheap. I may just get one of those instead of going threw the hassle of converting my A2 RRA upper to a flat top.

I may just try to sell my RRA upper and grab one of those 20'' del-ton uppers with a free float tube and railed gas block.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#33]
You all using FMJ or HP's?  Also, what do you do with the bodies?
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I use ballistic tips because I don't like to track down bodies.  I skin them and sell the hides.

Or, as another member here put it "throw them at gay people and hybrid cars"
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#35]
But what do you guys do with the coyotes afterwards?? Still waiting to see an answer to this question lol
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

But what do you guys do with the coyotes afterwards?? Still waiting to see an answer to this question lol

Make a pile and take a picture.

Link Posted: 12/9/2009 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Sabre midlength barrel, RRA and CMT parts, RRA NM Trigger.

It now wears an ACOG though.

Link Posted: 12/9/2009 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Throw the skinned bodies in one of your honey holes and hunt it the next day
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I use a few

a colt CR6724

sometimes I just add bipods to my Colt 6700/ A4

but mainly this

this past weekend

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Throw the skinned bodies in one of your honey holes and hunt it the next day

No.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top