Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/10/2010 4:03:50 PM EDT
I found this the other day. I would never do this to my AR-15, but I have some new found faith in its reliability in extremem conditions.
http://www.minutemanreview.com/2010/01/testing-legendary-reliability-of-ak.html
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe if they would put the safety on before they buried they wouldn't have such catastrophic failure.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as we're on the topic of reliability, have you seen this video?
Colt M4 vs HK M416

I'd be interested in seeing how the AK would perform in these tests.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Colt M4 vs HK M416

Have we seen the HK video that shows the HK compared favorably to the M4? Yeah, we've all seen it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Colt M4 vs HK M416

Im not going to get involved in this, but I will call out the kid that thinks its:

1. Cheaper than the M4/M16/AR
2. "Better", almost as biased as the video itself
3. Last and not least, in his own words, "conversion from one weapon type to another is much easier than the M4/M16"
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Colt M4 vs HK M416

That video is filled with
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
intresting.... I am an AR guy all the way... dont get me wrong.. how ever i do own a few AKS as well... main reason being there reliability... they should have done a side by side same test. with an AR, bolt back with the dust cover open..... im pretty sure all of the sudden the AK would seem better  The AKs reliability may have got exaggerated over the years, how ever poppin off a dust cover, given her a little shake, maybe a qiuck blow and she WILL fire... and I hate to be this guy but if you have an opinion, or want to prove something thing, you can alter the experiment to make the results in your favor..  I got a feeling this will cause a shit storm, being this is the AR forum and all but, if i had to to choose witch one of my weapons to take to an extream environment it would be the AK....  (then again I may get take a round or two from someone with an AR at 600 yds, while my AK just sprays ands prays ).. maybe ill take both....
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe if they would put the safety on before they buried they wouldn't have such catastrophic failure.

yeah, at one point in the video you can see dirt sinking into the receiver of the AK. If they kept the safety on (which I'm sure its usually kept on in duty use), the AK would have functioned ~100%.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
intresting.... I am an AR guy all the way... dont get me wrong.. how ever i do own a few AKS as well... main reason being there reliability... they should have done a side by side same test. with an AR, bolt back with the dust cover open..... im pretty sure all of the sudden the AK would seem better  The AKs reliability may have got exaggerated over the years, how ever poppin off a dust cover, given her a little shake, maybe a qiuck blow and she WILL fire... and I hate to be this guy but if you have an opinion, or want to prove something thing, you can alter the experiment to make the results in your favor..  I got a feeling this will cause a shit storm, being this is the AR forum and all but, if i had to to choose witch one of my weapons to take to an extream environment it would be the AK....  (then again I may get take a round or two from someone with an AR at 600 yds, while my AK just sprays ands prays ).. maybe ill take both....

I trust my AR's but you will hear no argument from me on this one. Ever see what replacement parts someone keeps for an AK? I too would take my AK for a crappy environment where I didn't have time or eqipment to keep a rifle clean and lubed.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I trust my AR's but you will hear no argument from me on this one. Ever see what replacement parts someone keeps for an AK? I too would take my AK for a crappy environment where I didn't have time or eqipment to keep a rifle clean and lubed.

My point exaclty... AKS to me are a throwaway/truck gun.. but damn those things will put up with abuse... hands down my ARs are my fav... but the AKS there like a beater truck, you aint afraid to get them dirty, you know they will be there when it matters, and parts are cheap, hell i could sell one of my ARs and buy atleast 3 if not 4 aks. :) the whole AK vrs AR arguement can be solved by just buying both :)

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool video.  The AK even with all that dirt only needs a little lube & you could run it more . The AR after that I don't see it running that long.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Did anyone notice that he racked the AK's bolt twice to "clear" it WHILE THE MAGAZINE WAS IN!  That video is full of
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Those noobs forgot a huge rule of firearms when not shooting safety should be on.  Any weapon that gets rock in the receiver is going to have problems.  From what I know about Vietnam the VC and NVA never put rocks in their receiver.  Granted they did bury them and they got full of mud but mud can run out and form but rocks yeah stupid test.  Sure any weapon the gets rocks in the fire control is not going to function hence why the AR did fine it get sand on the bolt carrier and that is all.  Get send in the receiver and lights out on the AR I can testify to that I have fought with an M4 and M16 both and once sand gets down in the receiver you will start getting problems.  I have also carried and AK and yeah it can fail I had one that loved to stovepipe but sand, mud, rain, snow, or no lube it kept going.

FYI I have 3 AR's 4 AK's I love both platforms each has his advantage and disadvantage.  This topic has been beat to death.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did anyone notice that he racked the AK's bolt twice to "clear" it WHILE THE MAGAZINE WAS IN!  That video is full of

whos to say there wernt some handloads in the mags too that werent up to par??? like i said, when you have an agenda you wanna push there are ways to make the results in your favor
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I dont understand why you would have the AR's bolt back? Who keeps the bolt back on their AR, also why not have the AK's bolt back.

I do believe the AK is more reliable in that it seems any ammo, and and any mag works in mine, no lube required! AR's can be picky.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont understand why you would have the AR's bolt back? Who keeps the bolt back on their AR, also why not have the AK's bolt back.

I do believe the AK is more reliable in that it seems any ammo, and and any mag works in mine, no lube required! AR's can be picky.

good catch.. at first glance i though he had left the bolt open on the ak... however to get the sand down into the "guts" of the Ar it would have to be back. then again this is a +1 for the AR in the fact that it is a closed system., unlike the AK, were even when the bolt is closed sand or what not can end up in the triggers parts... i still stand by my statement... an AR would function worse under these conditions.. dont matter this argument had been beaten to death, hence why i own both... :) once again good catch..

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't think I understand what you're getting at? Are you saying if you were to dump a good amount of sand (say about 1 cup)
through the ejection port of an AK with the bolt back that the bolt would still close?
Ya put enough sand in front of the bolt of any firearm it's not gonna close...
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Hand loads? It is WOLF he is shooting. Look at the cases, Poly coated steel.
The dust cover is open on the AR, the bolt is forward on the AK so what is the problem? They both have about the only place for crap to enter the action equally exposed, the AK choked and the AR didn't. Gonna attribute the reliability to the Costa magic/force in the Pmags for the AR's bettering the AK?
Using your logic they should have hermetically sealed the AK rifle and then buried it
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#21]
very cool, yea i have many dipshits quote the sand in the ak bullshit story, thanks for the thread.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The dust cover is open on the AR, the bolt is forward on the AK so what is the problem? They both have about the only place for crap to enter the action equally exposed, the AK choked and the AR didn't. Gonna attribute the reliability to the Costa magic/force in the Pmags for the AR's bettering the AK?
Using your logic they should have hermetically sealed the AK rifle and then buried it

yo skooter, with the bolt forward on an AK there is way more shit entering the reciever than an AR... like i said i that other dude pointed out that the bolt was foward on the ak i was wrong, and i owned up to it, i didnt really pay that close attention to it, nor did i even bother to watch the AR part..this was obvisouly done by some one who wanted to push the hole AR is better then an AK agenda hence why i didnt even bother to watch the AR part... Of Course the AR performed better that was there point... do you own an AK???? do you not see how much more is exposed when the bolt is foward??? of course more shit will get in... yes with the bolt closed on both guns the AK is gonna get more shit inside and perform worse... i did not need a video to show me that... how ever, you get sand, water anything into the gas system of an AR your done with (witch is probably why MR. Stoner included a dust cover and minimized way for shit to get in. where as the MR. Kalashnikov said who gives a fuck if dust gets in turn it upside down shake it she will go)... I love my ARs I have several, none have faild me yet, but i clean them twice as often as the AKs... and as far as hand loads go, you can shove a bullet in a spent wolf caseing,, guess what happens it dont work witch was my point...
FYI i have seen wolf reloads.. ive shot them... wouldnt do it my self.. but if you wanted to have a round that would fail in a test... guess what.. you relaod wolf :)
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn I look good
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#24]
How about a more appropriate comparison an AR thats piston run in a larger caliber like 6.5 or 6.8 or just run an AK against an M14..larger caliber piston driven like an AK.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#25]
How about this......

All guns fail sometime, no matter what the design. Quit pissing in the wind. AK and AR are opposites in design, manufacture, and capabilty. Like other posts have said buy both, hell I did. The main point of this video series, is don't BURY your rifle in a heap of sand. When in extreme environments use muzzle covers, and keep dust covers closed until it time for trigger pulling.

This argument keeps popping up every where, in gun rags, forums, BS sessions in gun stores, etc...

So, AK vs AR, which is better.....IT DEPENDS.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, at one point in the video you can see dirt sinking into the receiver of the AK. If they kept the safety on (which I'm sure its usually kept on in duty use), the AK would have functioned ~100%.

The weapons are buried in a "ready to fire" condition.... safeties off.  One of the points is that if you're moving through sandy/rocky material with the weapon on "fire" (not unreasonable given the AK's crappy selector design), the big-ass gap in the side of the weapon is a potential liability.

Having said that, most of these "realibility" type videos are contrived nonsense intended to prove what the "tester" already believed anyway.

Both the AR and the AK are very reliable platforms.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Those video's created a shit storm in the AK forum awhile back. He made those video's with just an AR first....then all the AK guys talked crap because his dust cover was closed. So after new video's of him doing the same thing with the dust cover opened, everyone in the AK forum said an AK would do it easily. So he made those videos. First the excuse was the SAR3 is a POS try it with a 5.45 or 7.62 gun....so he did.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I agree with everybody who says "BOTH". If you turn comparing apples to oranges into a dick measuring contest, you might as well be beating your head against the wall. For me the bottom line is, I'm not throwing any of my weapons down the driveway. Nor am I going to pour gravel in the action or run them over with anything. Even if I had so many guns that I was wiping my butt with them and flushing them. Don't get me wrong here, I think If you want to do that with your weapons that's your buisness. Just not my kinda party. Just thinkin out loud.  BD
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I think these videos are at the very least, interesting.

While most people would agree that if you actually put the same amount of debris (say a tablespoon full of sand) into an AK and an AR, the AK would probably be more reliable, I think this test shows that in some scenarios the AK is much more likely to get debris into it than the AR is.

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yo skooter, with the bolt forward on an AK there is way more shit entering the reciever than an AR... like i said i that other dude pointed out that the bolt was foward on the ak i was wrong, and i owned up to it, i didnt really pay that close attention to it, nor did i even bother to watch the AR part..this was obvisouly done by some one who wanted to push the hole AR is better then an AK agenda hence why i didnt even bother to watch the AR part... Of Course the AR performed better that was there point... do you own an AK???? do you not see how much more is exposed when the bolt is foward??? of course more shit will get in... yes with the bolt closed on both guns the AK is gonna get more shit inside and perform worse... i did not need a video to show me that... how ever, you get sand, water anything into the gas system of an AR your done with (witch is probably why MR. Stoner included a dust cover and minimized way for shit to get in. where as the MR. Kalashnikov said who gives a fuck if dust gets in turn it upside down shake it she will go)... I love my ARs I have several, none have faild me yet, but i clean them twice as often as the AKs... and as far as hand loads go, you can shove a bullet in a spent wolf caseing,, guess what happens it dont work witch was my point...
FYI i have seen wolf reloads.. ive shot them... wouldnt do it my self.. but if you wanted to have a round that would fail in a test... guess what.. you relaod wolf :)

As long as he admits it.
But they tried that... it didn't work.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as he admits it.
But they tried that... it didn't work.

I have no problem being wrong, or admitting when im wrong, I couldnt really make up my mind on witch was the best out of the two so I bought both, each has its own flaws, im sure there ar ARs out there that will out perform some of my AKs.. the fact is you cant really compare the two, yea there both assult rifles, but still its like comparing a mustang and a windstar, both made by ford, but lets face it taken you kids and 5 of there freinds to soccer practice aint really practical in a mustange, then again trying to race your buddys in a mini van is just wrong.. :) this has been argued to death over the years.. this being the AR forum of course the AR is gonna come out smelling like a rose
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#32]
The fact is that if you're fighting somewhere and your gun gets knocked/blown out of your hands into some dirt or sand while you were engaging the enemy, the AR has a better chance of functioning afterwords.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The fact is that if you're fighting somewhere and your gun gets knocked/blown out of your hands into some dirt or sand while you were engaging the enemy, the AR has a better chance of functioning afterwords.

Not if the AR lands mag first.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

or if it lands in water.....  i think one thing that needs to be shown is how easy it would be to clean out an ak and get her running vrs the AR... anyone who owns both know just how easy it is to clean out an AK, and you really dont have to get to anal with it... if the guy in the vid had gotten as much sand in the lower of the AR as the AK what do u think would happen???
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or if it lands in water.....  i think one thing that needs to be shown is how easy it would be to clean out an ak and get her running vrs the AR... anyone who owns both know just how easy it is to clean out an AK, and you really dont have to get to anal with it... if the guy in the vid had gotten as much sand in the lower of the AR as the AK what do u think would happen???

The whole point behind it all is that the AR is less prone to getting sand in the lower than the AK.  Your AK will be up and running quickly, but will be down more often.  It all depends on the situation, really.  As stated before.

This is enough splashing in the water for me to be satisfied.  Maybe not a thorough test, but hey...  it accounts for something.
AR15 in the water
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

or if it lands in water..... i think one thing that needs to be shown is how easy it would be to clean out an ak and get her running vrs the AR... anyone who owns both know just how easy it is to clean out an AK, and you really dont have to get to anal with it... if the guy in the vid had gotten as much sand in the lower of the AR as the AK what do u think would happen???

Seriously? Drop the mag, pull the rear takedown pin, turn it over and shake it out.

Reverse the procedure, charge and fire.

Nick

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Yeah... I don't get it.  The AR is dead easy to field strip and get any gunk out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or if it lands in water..... i think one thing that needs to be shown is how easy it would be to clean out an ak and get her running vrs the AR... anyone who owns both know just how easy it is to clean out an AK, and you really dont have to get to anal with it... if the guy in the vid had gotten as much sand in the lower of the AR as the AK what do u think would happen???

Seriously? Drop the mag, pull the rear takedown pin, turn it over and shake it out.
Reverse the procedure, charge and fire.

Nick

This is like talkin about religion in a bar haha everyone has an opinion, and wants to pipe in at some point :)  common sense would say the gun with the least amount of moving parts, and the looser fitting parts, would not only be easier to clean, but quicker..and be less likely to fail.. you cant argure with common sense, well you can i just dont see the point... why do u think the military is lookin to replace the AR-15  type platform with something that has a gas piston system??? I love my ARs, they are my fav weapon platform, but i also know there limitaions.. look at the german luger same issues.. extreamly accurate, tight tolerances, very well made, how ever any dirt or sand in the action, your dead in the water... The fact that the AK has been used for over 60 yrs, and still the standard issue in many countries, and that the U.S. millitary is lookin to replace the AR type weapons for somthing with a gas piston system ( like the AKS) should tell you something.. But yes in the test the Ak was beat, by our good freind the AR
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I found this the other day. I would never do this to my AR-15, but I have some new found faith in its reliability in extremem conditions.

Those look like the ADCO videos that were orginally posted here.
I have never seen the ADCO videos, but that is me and a friend, and we are not affiliated with ADCO.

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're referring to the HK416 vs M4 video that was made by HK. It is a marketing videos that had a lot of edits to benefit HK products. It's not something I would relied on for an honest truth. Pure marketing.

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#43]
So which weapon has a better shot at hitting a torso at 200 yards, before or after this test?

If you don't know the answer, well, we can't help you here.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So which weapon has a better shot at hitting a torso at 200 yards, before or after this test?

If you don't know the answer, well, we can't help you here.

My super blamo 100 airsoft gun!
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those look like the ADCO videos that were orginally posted here.
I have never seen the ADCO videos, but that is me and a friend, and we are not affiliated with ADCO.  

My mistake, for some reason I thought it was one of the Adco guys.

The ADCO guys must be some handsome fellas

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sure it does.

Almost every loaded M4 mag jammed in a test conducted by the Army Test and Evaluation Command at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure it does.

Almost every loaded M4 mag jammed in a test conducted by the Army Test and Evaluation Command at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md

Some people will believe anything.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure it does.

my turn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LpHkf2r_dk
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 3:59:49 AM EDT
[#49]
That was a good video.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Just one question.

Who won the Cold War?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top