Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2010 10:20:31 PM EDT
This will be for Target shooting/hunting/ranch defense/all around fun gun. I am new to AR's and just want something fun to shoot with. I will probably add a SS 3-9 and Surefire Light. Which would you choose?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I think both are fine weapons that won't dissappoint you.
I have a 15T and think it's GTG.
However, I have no 1st hand experience with the Ruger.
Either choice you make will be a good one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:45:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the 15T is a few bucks cheaper.  It was my first AR and I like it.  Was a little funky with Rem ammo at the beginning (green/white box, I've heard this with other AR's too)  but now I can't get it to quit.  Know my bias though, I think pistons are pretty unnecessary in AR's.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate ruger....
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:14:07 AM EDT
[#4]
My S&W has never given me any problems. I bought an SR556  and had the trigger pin walk out while shooting the 1st 30 round magazine through it. Took it back to Cabela's where I'd purchased it and as it'd only been 4 hours since the purchase they swapped it for me immediately. Took it back to the farm, put 60 rounds through it and the trigger pin was visibly walking out again but hadn't slipped completely out as had happened the first time. I tapped it back in and traded the rifle in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a 15T that I used as my duty rifle for two years. Sold it last year to a friend of mine and bought a 15X.

Both 15s are excellent rifles. My buddy mounted an ACOG on the 15T and it is fricken sweet. My 15X now has 1,300+ rounds through with zero malfunctions, and half of those 1,300 rounds have been steel case ammo of one flavor or another.

I have no experience with the Ruger SR556. Keep in mind it's a piston system, versus the DI of the M&P15.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#6]
If I was buying one I would buy the M&P15T
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Between the two I'd go with the smith and wesson just because of the option of getting parts. The ruger's piston setup will be harder to get parts for then the smith and wessons di system. The gun is also more proven.

I personally have a m&p15t with over 5k rounds through it that has run great. I've seen the rugers and they do look like pretty good guns though. Really either of them should be gtg.

Quoted:
My S&W has never given me any problems. I bought an SR556  and had the trigger pin walk out while shooting the 1st 30 round magazine through it. Took it back to Cabela's where I'd purchased it and as it'd only been 4 hours since the purchase they swapped it for me immediately. Took it back to the farm, put 60 rounds through it and the trigger pin was visibly walking out again but hadn't slipped completely out as had happened the first time. I tapped it back in and traded the rifle in.

I would have just added antiwalk pins in it if everything else seemed fine. I mean I know you shouldn't need to add parts to a new gun but a 30 dollar fix isn't that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Honestly between the two choice I would get the S&W.  But the price it carries vs say a Spikes Tactical ST-15 M4 LE with the upgrades would be better and better price.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I sold my first AR more than 20 years ago and regretted doing so since. Last year I finally decided to buy another and started with the Ruger and the M&P15T in mind. After a bit of reading I came to the conclusion that the M&P15T was the better choice for me, if for no other reason than parts are widely available for a standard DI gun. I've put ~2,000 rounds through my 15T to date and it has performed flawlessly. I definitely like my M&P15T better than the Colt HBAR I sold so many years back. I also prefer it to any AR I've had the opportunity to shoot to date. Mine has proven itself consistently capable of sub-1MOA accuracy (with the shooter being the weak link :D). The factory trigger is fantastic for a std. combat trigger - ~7lbs, no creep, breaks crisply. I'm shooting well enough with the stock trigger that I'm not even considering any trigger work.

I agree that either of these AR's would be a fine choice based on what I have read. I have no personal experience with the Ruger though.

I have owned other Smith & Wesson firearms over the years and all have been solid, reliable, and accurate. Aside from the M&P15T I also currently own a S&W 4506 single stack SA/DA 45ACP (with some trigger work). My favorite of any of the .45's I've owned over the years (grew up on 1911's). I definitely have a heavy S&W bias!

Photo op! My M&P15T:

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Whats your price range?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#11]
S&W M&P15 all the way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I sold my first AR more than 20 years ago and regretted doing so since. Last year I finally decided to buy another and started with the Ruger and the M&P15T in mind. After a bit of reading I came to the conclusion that the M&P15T was the better choice for me, if for no other reason than parts are widely available for a standard DI gun. I've put ~2,000 rounds through my 15T to date and it has performed flawlessly. I definitely like my M&P15T better than the Colt HBAR I sold so many years back. I also prefer it to any AR I've had the opportunity to shoot to date. Mine has proven itself consistently capable of sub-1MOA accuracy (with the shooter being the weak link :D). The factory trigger is fantastic for a std. combat trigger - ~7lbs, no creep, breaks crisply. I'm shooting well enough with the stock trigger that I'm not even considering any trigger work.

I agree that either of these AR's would be a fine choice based on what I have read. I have no personal experience with the Ruger though.

I have owned other Smith & Wesson firearms over the years and all have been solid, reliable, and accurate. Aside from the M&P15T I also currently own a S&W 4506 single stack SA/DA 45ACP (with some trigger work). My favorite of any of the .45's I've owned over the years (grew up on 1911's). I definitely have a heavy S&W bias!

Photo op! My M&P15T:
http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/MP15T-301.jpg
http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/MP15T-305.jpg

That is a great looking rifle. The choice seems clear.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the SW MP 15 so I cannot comment on how the Ruger is. However, for what's it's worth, I absolutely love my Smith. Never doubted my purchase since the day I got it. Have run close to 2k rounds through it (mostly Federal XM193) and haven't had any malfunctions (save for 2 accounts of user error, both of which were newbies to firearms in general).
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#14]
M&P15T - lighter, cheaper, better brand/manuf., better looking & better accuracy
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:33:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I really hate Ruger.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:40:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Get the smith with the Troy TRX it will be be about the same money as the ruger but really light
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:53:47 AM EDT
[#17]

not a piston fan in general, if i was it wouldn't be a Ruger.

get the Smith.

my .02
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I really hate Ruger.

I always thought the Ruger was overpriced.  Ruger has really disappointed me lately.  New 10/22s jam every few rounds, are not as accurate as older versions, the coated receiver peels the 10th time you clean it, and the stainless model is brushed and not really all that stainless.  I can only hope they are putting more effort into the 556....at least it looks good right??????
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Why are these your only two options? There quite a few companies in that price range that I would at least consider before making the purchase (BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, Spikes, etc). Of the two you mentioned I would go with the S&W though. I'm not a big fan of the piston system in an AR, especially not for someone's first.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why are these your only two options? There quite a few companies in that price range that I would at least consider before making the purchase (BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, Spikes, etc). Of the two you mentioned I would go with the S&W though. I'm not a big fan of the piston system in an AR, especially not for someone's first.

Ok, well lets say in the $1500 price range before accessories.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:05:42 AM EDT
[#21]
S&W is GTG.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#22]
What made you eliminate Rock River. The RR trigger is better OTB than either of the other two. Of the
two, I'd go S&W.
Enjoy your quest
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Gotta go against the grain here and recommend the Ruger 556.  The piston system runs clean and cool and although Ruger is relatively new to the AR market (S&W is too) they have thorough testing behind the 556.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Gotta go against the grain here and recommend the Ruger 556.  The piston system runs clean and cool and although Ruger is relatively new to the AR market (S&W is too) they have thorough testing behind the 556.

I gotta to agree with this assessment also. Running a piston AR is much nicer all around too with the far less fouling in the receiver that goes with it and amount of lube it uses over time. Though you're overlooking that you could also buy a S&W M&P15 piston AR built with an Adams Arms licensed system OP. There are lots of Adams users out there and parts availability for the system is very good where as Ruger isn't selling spares from what I know and doesn't even want you to disassemble the system completely.

There doing 2 models right now. One with Troy railed handguard and one with standard carbine polymer handguards.

M&P15 PSX

Adams Arms

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd go with the S&W also. If the Ruger AR's are anything like their autoloading pistols, the triggers will be crap.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I went with the 15T.

Havn't had any regrets since.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's the case then you're looking at the wrong guns. Although they are both good quality and you'll most likely be happy with either, there are definitely better options in that price range. Here are most of them in no particular order:

Colt 6920 ($1150) or 6940 ($1350): The standard by which all other are judged. Great quality, name recognition, most military contracts

BCM ($1000+ depending on configuration): Colt quality, great customer service, lifetime warranty. Pat Rogers (highly respected instructor) has one with 30,000 rounds
downrange

Daniel Defense ($1000-$1300): Same quality as above

Noveske ($1350 for the base model): similar quality to above but arguably has the most accurate chrome-lined barrel in the business.

LaRue: (About $1500 for complete gun): extremely accurate

Spikes ($760): Great quality and the best deal in the industry by far. I'm in the process of testing one and have been extremely impressed after putting a little more than 400rds through it a couple days ago.

LMT ($1100): In full disclosure I had a bad experience with them but the vast majority of people absolutely love them. They have a couple military contracts as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's the case then you're looking at the wrong guns. Although they are both good quality and you'll most likely be happy with either, there are definitely better options in that price range. Here are most of them in no particular order:

Colt 6920 ($1150) or 6940 ($1350): The standard by which all other are judged. Great quality, name recognition, most military contracts

BCM ($1000+ depending on configuration): Colt quality, great customer service, lifetime warranty. Pat Rogers (highly respected instructor) has one with 30,000 rounds
downrange

Daniel Defense ($1000-$1300): Same quality as above

Noveske ($1350 for the base model): similar quality to above but arguably has the most accurate chrome-lined barrel in the business.

LaRue: (About $1500 for complete gun): extremely accurate

Spikes ($760): Great quality and the best deal in the industry by far. I'm in the process of testing one and have been extremely impressed after putting a little more than 400rds through it a couple days ago.

LMT ($1100): In full disclosure I had a bad experience with them but the vast majority of people absolutely love them. They have a couple military contracts as well.

Where is it possible to get a Complete LaRue for $1,500?
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I bet if u post the same thread in the piston forum,u will get the opposite answer :)
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#30]
the trigger in the ruger is horrible its by far the worst tigger i have ever delt with on a rifle and thats civlian or mil check out the noveske basic if not interested in that get the S & W they are great rifles

the M&P15TS is my favorite right now its got some great options retail is like 1700 but im seeing them around for about 1400 on gun broker and at online retailers
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#31]
While Ruger has been good on service (they handled the LCP recall very well), Smith's customer service is second to none.  Get the Smith.
Moon
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Go with the Ruger, i have both and for some reason the Ruger just feels "smoother"
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really hate Ruger.

I always thought the Ruger was overpriced.  Ruger has really disappointed me lately.  New 10/22s jam every few rounds, are not as accurate as older versions, the coated receiver peels the 10th time you clean it, and the stainless model is brushed and not really all that stainless.  I can only hope they are putting more effort into the 556....at least it looks good right??????

No shit, I never imagined they could fuck up a 10/22, but they have...fucking idiots cutting cost with echeap plastic shit and crappy recievers.LOL!!!Fuck ruger products.

OP go with the M&P 15, I have one and fucking love it!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I couldn't recommend my M&P-15 more, it's been such a reliable weapon I'd be looking for a second one if I had the cash to do it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top