Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/3/2010 3:51:17 PM EDT
http://livemusicphotography.info/wp-content//2010/10/img_5989-20101024-bcm-145-inch-mid-length-ar-15-21.jpg

Just completed my first build with parts I’ve been collecting for the past 7 months… it was easier than I thought for the most part. I went with a complete upper from Bravo Company and built the lower using a stripped receiver I purchased from the Outpost Armory in TN. I got a great deal on a VLTOR stock and completed the stock assembly with BCM parts. I’ve read numerous accounts that an H3 buffer is incredible on this particular upper so I will give it a try and report my results.

I've yet to decide on a rear site option but will use a cheap red dot for now. I may get one of the primary arms dots.

The Magpul mid-length guards have been out of stock since I started looking 7 months ago and I didn't really want to spend the money on a nice quad rail… luckily, the MOE guards became available a few weeks ago and I could not be happier with them. They feel great and look much better than I anticipated.

The Parts:

* BCM 14.5″ upper with perm. flash hider, 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel
   * BCM Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle
   * YHM Stripped Lower
   * DPMS Lower Parts Kit
   * Magpul MOE Mid-Length Handguard
   * VLTOR Modstock
   * BCM Mil-Spec Extension Tube Kit with H3 Buffer[/*]

I followed the tutorials at Brownells and here at AR15.com… very helpful! I didn’t have all of the “recommended” tools but I did just fine with a brass hammer and some punches. I should have taped a bit more to avoid some scratches but I’m overall pretty satisfied for my first lower build. I wish that I would have considered the color and smooth finish of the BCM upper when I purchased my lower, but it didn't enter my mind until I got home with it. It doesn't bother me as much as I feared it would but I will keep that in mind if I build another.

I will be getting the pad that goes on the VLTOR stock. I will probably tweak some accessories in the near future such as the grip and trigger guard.

I managed to get it to the range Monday for 40 rounds and it shot flawlessly!  Very little recoil... this 14.5" midlength with the H3 is extremely soft shooting and seems reliable with Monarch 55gr, although I'm ready to step the buffer down if need be.  Love the MOE guards,  they feel great while shooting.... overall I couldn't be happier!   I managed to keep the costs down and still built an amazing rifle!

UPDATE: The rifle is nicely balanced and shoots fantastic! The magpul rear BUIS and the Aimpoint Comp C3 2 moa complete the package and give a perfect lower 1/3 co-witness.  I’m very impressed with the Larue Tactical LT-150 mount, it seems incredibly sturdy.  I had realized in the first set of photos that my castle nut was on backwards, easy fix.  I also swapped the stock trigger guard that came with the parts kit for the Magpul MOE version.  I’ve got 220 rounds of cheap russian ammo through the rifle and zero problems so far.  It’s amazing how smooth this rifle shoots!

Added Parts:

* Aimpoint Comp C3 2 MOA
   * Magpul Rear Flip-Up BUIS
   * Larue Tactical LT-150 Aimpoint Mount
   * Magpul MOE Trigger Guard

http://livemusicphotography.info/wp-content//2010/10/bcm-145-mid-length-aimpoint-comp-c3-magpul-buis-02.jpg

http://livemusicphotography.info/wp-content//2010/10/bcm-145-mid-length-aimpoint-comp-c3-magpul-buis-05.jpg

http://livemusicphotography.info/wp-content//2010/10/bcm-145-mid-length-aimpoint-comp-c3-magpul-buis-09.jpg

http://livemusicphotography.info/wp-content//2010/10/bcm-145-mid-length-aimpoint-comp-c3-magpul-buis-11.jpg

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
That is gorgeous.  (can I even use that word here?)

I've been spec'ing out that exact configuration.  I love it even more now that I see it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
PLEASE put a rear sight on it, I going crazy trying to figure out how you aim this gun:)
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
PLEASE put a rear sight on it, I going crazy trying to figure out how you aim this gun:)

Got a cheap red dot on it it til I decide on something more permanent.  Didn't want to have the temp scope in the pics.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Get some a decent folder... even a magpul polymer and shoot it that way and wait on the optics and get a good red dot.  You have a great rifle there... dont WIMPOUT on it now....
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I love the look of that mid-length magpul MOE handguard. When they comin out in Coyote Tan?
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get some a decent folder... even a magpul polymer and shoot it that way and wait on the optics and get a good red dot.  You have a great rifle there... dont WIMPOUT on it now....

I have no idea what this means. The VLTOR is a great stock.

I think he's talking about putting a cheap RDS on a rifle that nice. Folder meaning folding BUIS.

ETA: OP- That rifle is gorgeous.
I'm planning on getting one of those 14.5" mid-lengths with an MOE handguard one of these days.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks good !  
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats damn near a copy of my newest build in progress except I went with a clubfoot instead of the standard carbine vltor.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#11]
You guys like the VLTOR over the Magpul ACS?
I was waiting on the Mid length in FDE to come out but I might go with black instead.
Very nice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#12]
It looks great.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:33:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn nice rifle. My vote would be for a Troy back up; you'll not find better in regards to toughness.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice build, and good choice in uppers. I love the MOE hand guard myself. I got one for my carbine length, and liked it so much that I took off my YHM rail on my mid, and put an MOE on that. Made a big difference in weight, plus you can still mount anything you want on it too. I saw no difference in grouping after I removed the free float YHM. Glad I made the move to the lighter weight MOE's.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Damn nice rifle. My vote would be for a Troy back up; you'll not find better in regards to toughness.

I agree with you as far as folders go but I would also recommend the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed sight.  Pretty good price and very tough.  

Very nice rifle.  Simple and functional without too many extras.  If your looking to add anything else I would say a Magpul MVG and a Daniel Defense offset light mount on a MOE rail section would work out great.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you as far as folders go but I would also recommend the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed sight.  Pretty good price and very tough.  

Very nice rifle.  Simple and functional without too many extras.  If your looking to add anything else I would say a Magpul MVG and a Daniel Defense offset light mount on a MOE rail section would work out great.

My 14.5'' BCM m4 used to have a Magpul mbus, but I didn't really like it. It worked, but it was to bulky. Since I am running a ML3 with a lt150 I decided to run a DDA1.5 and I love it. Always ready to rock and roll and I trust it has a primary sighting system a lot more than the mbus.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 14.5'' BCM m4 used to have a Magpul mbus, but I didn't really like it. It worked, but it was to bulky. Since I am running a ML3 with a lt150 I decided to run a DDA1.5 and I love it. Always ready to rock and roll and I trust it has a primary sighting system a lot more than the mbus.

Yeah I just replaced my MBUS on my 14.5" BCM m4 w/ the DD A1.5.  I run an EoTech XPS though and am still getting used to the absolute cowitness.  I like it so far, just need more practice.

I have no complaints with the sight though.  Very solid and would definately make the purchase again.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was checking out the DD fixed sight last night... looks like it could be my sight!  Im likely going to save for an entry level aimpoint.  Put another 40 rounds downrange yesterday before work ... this is definitely the most fun piece of machinery I have ever had in my hands.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#20]
awesome rifle and photography skills!
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Decided on selling a few items... gonna get an aimpoint c3 and troy folding rear sight.  Just wish ammo was cheaper!
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Your receiver extension nut is on backwards
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Great build a and fantastic pics. Whats your technique, if you don't mind?
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Your receiver extension nut is on backwards

Realized that when I went to tighten it with the wrench.. good eye!
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Great build a and fantastic pics. Whats your technique, if you don't mind?

External flashes... no substitute!
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Sweet!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd put a polymer Magpul rear sight on now and add the RD when you get around to it. The rear sight becomes a fold down back up.
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I went with an Aimpoint Comp C3 and a Magpul rear backup.  Added new pics!
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Awesome rifle!
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#30]
This has turned out as a very nice build.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Very nice Semi-KISS setup; been thinking of replacing my RRA CAR-A4 upper with a BCM MIddy with a LaRue 12" forend. I might just do it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top