BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Been contemplating going with a more modern optic lately on this guy. Was thinking along the lines of the sniper comp mk12 but then came across the x50 Nightforce last night and that would probably be the way I went. Huge internal conflict on getting rid of the 36 s-ex, but I also hate the M1 turrets on my mk4.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By revottuneda4:
Been contemplating going with a more modern optic lately on this guy. Was thinking along the lines of the sniper comp mk12 but then came across the x50 Nightforce last night and that would probably be the way I went. Huge internal conflict on getting rid of the 36 s-ex, but I also hate the M1 turrets on my mk4.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/181541/IMG_1129_jpeg-3166231.JPG
View Quote

@revottuneda4 shhhh... Just send the #36 my way
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:22:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: revottuneda4] [#3]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

View Quote

As they say…everything has a price. But this thing was a unicorn, so it’s a tough one to let go. Somehow got a 38 then a 36 in about the span of a year.

I’d like opinions on the NXS 3.5-15 if anyone has experience with them. Optics Planet has the second focal plane version for sale right now. Or would I be better off with a Leupold set up?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:15:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: teamjawbox] [#4]

As they say…everything has a price. But this thing was a unicorn, so it’s a tough one to let go. Somehow got a 38 then a 36 in about the span of a year.

I’d like opinions on the NXS 3.5-15 if anyone has experience with them. Optics Planet has the second focal plane version for sale right now. Or would I be better off with a Leupold set up?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

A few have done the NF x50.  Didn’t @Shlouf do one?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Once upon a time. Liked it alot

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:37:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: revottuneda4] [#6]
Originally Posted By Shlouf:
Once upon a time. Liked it alot

https://i.imgur.com/iSfQdEg.jpg
View Quote

Yeahhhhhh that’s the look right there. Looks so good with the sopmod too. What other scopes did you run and how did it compare?

ETA: @Shlouf, just saw your for sale thread of the 36. I wish you luck in selling that for every penny in case I go to sell mine too lol.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s #2 behind the 2.5-10x24 for me.

I hope no one buys it, that’s why I put such a high price . I mainly want to trade it for a 38 rail for a mod0
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn, I hope one day I can afford that scope!
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Never intended as a clone, but period correct.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Wish ARMS would make a run of them..
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BravoSierra:

Wish ARMS would make a run of them..
View Quote
Eventually imma machine my own 36 s-ex on the mill
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
Eventually imma machine my own 36 s-ex on the mill
View Quote

Make sure you make extra!
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll donate to the cause, S-EX rocks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:52:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#14]
Lots of SEX talk going on here lately....

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#15]
What barrel would you guys recommend since CLE is out of business?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Super_Trouper:
What barrel would you guys recommend since CLE is out of business?
View Quote

WOA
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:42:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bmmc] [#17]
Interestingly I had emailed CLE a week or so ago and they said they'd email me an invoice for a SAM-R barrel order. Today I get the generic reply that they aren't taking new orders.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Pondering the forbidden clones

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84711/IMG_20200522_074840-2880185.jpg
View Quote

Oh, we like S-EX pictures, dirty us up like that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bmmc:
Interestingly I had emailed CLE a week or so ago and they said they'd email me an invoice for a SAM-R barrel order. Today I get the generic reply that they aren't taking new orders.

View Quote

They've stopped doing civilian orders.

You can find the post on their facebook page.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#21]
Originally Posted By thatARMSguy:
Pondering the forbidden clones

https://i.imgur.com/WLBFW7G.jpeg
View Quote

What PRI handguard is the one in the middle using?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:

What PRI handguard is the one in the middle using?
View Quote

Aluminum prototype that didn't go anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#23]
So, I had a fine, clone correct MK12 Mod 1 years ago and sold it because I had no place to stretch its legs. Now I have plenty and have been itching for one but the cost of parts now have been prohibitive.

Well, I picked this up from an older fella Saturday who wanted to buy a newer scope with higher magnification. For $375!

It was painted, I stripped it down with citristrip and a toothbrush and to my surprise it cleaned up pretty nicely. Only a few blemishes in the anodizing that could be touched up. Not sure of the laser etching below the Leupold text, unless maybe this was a surplused optic. Suffix dates it to 2003.

Then, Saturday evening one of the guys on here offered me a NIB KAC rail for a smoking deal, so here I am.

I still had a front sight, scope caps, brake and collar and can sitting in a box in the closet. Ordered a barrel, rings, and gas buster so hopefully I'll get the upper slapped together by the weekend.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:46:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTM20] [#24]
So, I had a fine, clone correct MK12 Mod 1 years ago and sold it because I had no place to stretch its legs. Now I have plenty and have been itching for one but the cost of parts now have been prohibitive.

Well, I picked this up from an older fella Saturday who wanted to buy a newer scope with higher magnification. For $375!

It was painted, I stripped it down with citristrip and a toothbrush and to my surprise it cleaned up pretty nicely. Only a few blemishes in the anodizing that could be touched up. Not sure of the laser etching below the Leupold text, unless maybe this was a surplused optic. Suffix dates it to 2003.

Then, Saturday evening one of the guys on here offered me a NIB KAC rail for a smoking deal, so here I am.

I still had a front sight, scope caps, brake and collar and can sitting in a box in the closet. Ordered a barrel, rings, and gas buster so hopefully I'll get the upper slapped together by the weekend.

https://imgur.com/525eGmU.jpg
https://imgur.com/EJM6XbQ.jpg

View Quote

Nice pickup. That’s a surplus TS-30A2 that was refurbished by Leupold and updated with a new illumination housing. I can just make out the lasered out “TS-30 A2” text under the Leupold logo.

Is it 2.5-8 or 3-9?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:51:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Super_Trouper] [#25]
Originally Posted By JTM20:

Nice pickup. That’s a surplus TS-30A2 that was refurbished by Leupold and updated with a new illumination housing. I can just make out the lasered out “TS-30 A2” text under the Leupold logo.

Is it 2.5-8 or 3-9?
View Quote

2.5-8

I can’t see it with my naked eye but now that you mention it I can see the remnants of the text in the photo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTM20] [#26]

2.5-8

I can’t see it with my naked eye but now that you mention it I can see it in the photo.
View Quote

Yep it’s hard to see but it’s there.

Here’s a picture of a similar scope on an M38 when they were testing some alternative suppressors. Note the same box under the Leupold logo.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:31:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Super_Trouper] [#27]

Here’s a picture of a similar scope on an M38 when they were testing some alternative suppressors. Note the same box under the Leupold logo.

https://i.imgur.com/uqfSIrw.jpeg
View Quote

That's cool. Any idea why they lasered off the TS-30 A2 markings? To identify them as a factory refurb or some other reason?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

You should be reported for elder abuse.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#29]

That's cool. Any idea why they lasered off the TS-30 A2 markings? To identify them as a factory refurb or some other reason?
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/uqfSIrw.jpeg

Probably so they don't look like "lost" items from the .mil.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

You should be reported for elder abuse.
View Quote

LMAO, I was willing and expecting to pay more. He made the price!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Are there any cheaper scopes that at least look like they could live on a Mod 0? Unless I just get lucky, the way my work and finances are going it might be a minute before I can get an appropriate scope for my Mod ) project. It would be nice if I could shoot it this year.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

I hate you!  KD, congrats, that is a super find, very jelly!

On another note, does anyone remember what page the MK262 ammo can stencil was on?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Last time I saw someone post a TS-30 near me, they wanted double the going rate at the time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Who is currently making correct MK12 MOD1 "cutout-Foam" for Pelican-1700s cases (?).......and contact information if available.
TIA.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Modern Arm Resources is the only one doing it the correct way, bought one set from him, met the guy and he went to a lot of research and nailed it. Avoid at any cost Cobra foam.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84711/IMG_20200522_074840-2880185.jpg
View Quote

So many cool parts in one cropped pic. Down to the last detail.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Is it 2.5-8 or 3-9?
View Quote

So its a.. mutant scope? Neat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#38]
With CLE gone, who else does MK12 Mod 1 barrels with Douglas blanks?

Would the PRI ones work even though they're, "designed and profiled for the Mark 12 Mod 0?"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:38:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hydrostatic_cling] [#39]
Originally Posted By JimJardashian:

Would the PRI ones work even though they're, "designed and profiled for the Mark 12 Mod 0?"
View Quote

HighCaliberSales has been doing them if you require very close to cloning requirements. The PRI does not mention cuts for the Mod 0 FSB sight, which would be the main difference, and even if it was present it would be perfectly fine with a real Mod 1 gas block.

Granted I believe WOA to be a better value in general if you are spray painting to cover the stainless finish. They are even substantially marked down for the Talk Like a Pirate day sale every year. The new SOLGW precision barrels also seem to be excellent, however there is no mention of collar profiling beyond "SPR profile". Those have a very neat 5/8x24 muzzle thread, which is superior to 1/2x28 but so rarely used by anyone. The one company harping on it was the arperformancebarrels shop, but they seem to have been bought out and re-branded.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Leupold seems to have done this to a few legit scopes. Hurts my heart to see that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JimJardashian:

View Quote

contact douglas for the barrel and adco or d wilson can profile it. The whole CLE things sucks. SAM-R barrels are pretty much gone with them. They offered all the good quality barrels and Frank has done more than a few one off type barrels for me not to mention several SAM-R barrels. I would consider them the absolute best at AR type barrels. A true loss and huge hit to the clone community for sure.
There were also a ton of douglas surplus barrels that got out a few years ago. I would bet someone has one laying around. I see them used in a lot of builds.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:19:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JimJardashian] [#42]
Originally Posted By hydrostatic_cling:

HighCaliberSales has been doing them if you require very close to cloning requirements. The PRI does not mention cuts for the Mod 0 FSB sight, which would be the main difference, and even if it was present it would be perfectly fine with a real Mod 1 gas block.

Granted I believe WOA to be a better value in general if you are spray painting to cover the stainless finish. They are even substantially marked down for the Talk Like a Pirate day sale every year. The new SOLGW precision barrels also seem to be excellent, however there is no mention of collar profiling beyond "SPR profile". Those have a very neat 5/8x24 muzzle thread, which is superior to 1/2x28 but so rarely used by anyone. The one company harping on it was the arperformancebarrels shop, but they seem to have been bought out and re-branded.
View Quote

I reached out to HCS this morning and they have theirs in stock. Way clone correct, to include the gunkote finish. I'm just seeing if there were other Douglas options.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:

contact douglas for the barrel and adco or d wilson can profile it. The whole CLE things sucks. SAM-R barrels are pretty much gone with them. They offered all the good quality barrels and Frank has done more than a few one off type barrels for me not to mention several SAM-R barrels. I would consider them the absolute best at AR type barrels. A true loss and huge hit to the clone community for sure.
There were also a ton of douglas surplus barrels that got out a few years ago. I would bet someone has one laying around. I see them used in a lot of builds.
View Quote

Thanks! I'll take a look. HCS was my other option.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

Wow these went up in price.
View Quote

$765 from Thoroughbred Armament AEM5 Knurled
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:43:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HotLead] [#45]
Doubletapped on an old post.

Anyone have pics of a genuine MK262 ammo can?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By HotLead:

View All Quotes

Yeah..but made in Utah
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Toothpicksandkatchup:

Yeah..but made in Utah
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Toothpicksandkatchup:

Yeah..but made in Utah

Doesn't matter, its still not an Ops Inc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote
DangerDan, ur back?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Not to split hairs, but Ron has been the constant factor. From Ops to AE, and even the brains/support behind Trajectory taking these on. Sure the name on the cans is changing, but not really the cans themselves. At least not enough to matter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Might be wrong but haven’t seen this ITW pic posted before. Figured I’d toss it in for discussion. PEQ16 and Gripod
Attachment Attached File
Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top