Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo180/CopperAndBlack/444f91c9.jpg

This is how, pin gages, find the one that fits perfectly and dial in from that.

Would I do it differently? Yes, I would use the pin gage technique since I didn't think of it at the time. Having thought the ID chamfer was completely concentric with the bore, I essentially thought I was doing the same thing when using the ID chamfer as reference before cutting. So I thank Bigbore and the others for showing me that. But other then that I feel I planed this threading out pretty well.

Can you expain what the ID chamfer is and how it's different that the pin gage method?

Your work looks very good to me.  I always thought that being a machinist would be a good trade to know.

Think of the chamfer as the crown, or the angled cut where the bore ends.  That cut may have been made while being centered off the outside diameter (outside of barrel, which likely the bore is not perfectly centered in).  So, by indicating off a pin in the bore, you can find the true center of the bore.  Then you set up the machine to cut with it's zero set to the middle of the bore.

"May had" nothing, I know what I did.
So now I'm a liar as well?

Easy there!  I was answering a general question that was unrelated to you.  Just making clear that the chamfer (or crown) is not always centered around the bore.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you just suck horribly at reading comprehension, and you have a hard time taking criticism, constructive or otherwise...
He wasn't saying YOU may have, he was talking about the barrel manufacturer...

"Think of the chamfer as the crown, or the angled cut where the bore ends. (End of sentence) That cut (Sounds like he is referring to the cut I made and not any chamfer) may have been made while being centered off the outside diameter."
My reading comprehension is just fine, thank you.

Sorry, but you read it wrong and you're getting huffy and defensive over a statement that wasn't even referring to your work...

ETA: see the above post.

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, you just suck horribly at reading comprehension, and you have a hard time taking criticism, constructive or otherwise...

"Think of the chamfer as the crown, or the angled cut where the bore ends. (End of sentence) That cut (Sounds like he is referring to the cut I made and not any chamfer) may have been made while being centered off the outside diameter."

Sorry, but you read it wrong and you're getting huffy and defensive over a statement that wasn't even referring to your work...

Well crap man I'm sorry if I read it wrong, but that's what it sounded like. All I wanted to do was show my first barrel threading get some pointers, tips and constructive criticism. Not to be told to thrash my thread out of shame, or blatantly told I have no idea what I am doing, when in fact I do. Or have to state time and time again that the picture with the dial was the first one I took in the chuck, and it was the ID was what was used as reference.
Again I'm sorry for reading it wrong, it's just that if there is one thing I won't be called is a Liar, especially not when it comes to my work, so it got me a little worked up that's all...
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well crap man I'm sorry if I read it wrong, but that's what it sounded like. All I wanted to do was show my first barrel threading get some pointers, tips and constructive criticism. Not to be told to thrash my thread out of shame, or blatantly told I have no idea what I am doing, when in fact I do. Or have to state time and time again that the picture with the dial was the first one I took in the chuck, and it was the ID was what was used as reference.
Again I'm sorry for reading it wrong, it's just that if there is one thing I won't be called is a Liar, especially not when it comes to my work, so it got me a little worked up that's all...

Don't worry about it.  Hopefully a lot of people learned some things here (not talking about you alone).  Let us know when you do some more barrel work, so we can pick the shit out of it.
That last part was a joke.

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well crap man I'm sorry if I read it wrong, but that's what it sounded like. All I wanted to do was show my first barrel threading get some pointers, tips and constructive criticism. Not to be told to thrash my thread out of shame, or blatantly told I have no idea what I am doing, when in fact I do. Or have to state time and time again that the picture with the dial was the first one I took in the chuck, and the ID was what was used as reference.

Ok ok.... here's what's happening.

Nobody is questioning your machining ability, the threads and shoulder, etc. that you showed is very well done.

It seems that what has happened is that you did not entirely understand the manufacturing processes involved in a factory rifle barrel by mass manufacturers.

Because of this, you had a couple people jump on you because if your customer planned to use this barrel with a suppressor, the possibility existed that your perfect threading job could result in a ruined $1000 suppressor.  Granted, they may have been a little harsh, but they know what they're talking about...

All in all, you learned something for future reference.  If your customer does plan to run a suppressor, I would find a way to check concentricity of the baffles with the bore before actually firing it with the suppressor attached.  If it's very close, then great.  If it's not, at least he won't end up with a $1000 paperweight.  Also, every little bit of eccentricity with the bore will cause a greater POI shift with the suppressor attached.

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't worry about.  Hopefully a lot of people learned some things here (not talking about you).  Let us know when you do some more barrel work, so we can pick the shit out of it.
That last part was a joke.

LOL I be sure to place the dial indicator on the gas block or the forearm for the pictures. Haha
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]
wow...and some of you wonder why this forum sucks. someone can't post something without the turds coming out and slamming the guys work. if the owner plans on mounting a can, then maybe he should of sent it to ADCO to have the work done. if not, then the work this guy did is just fine and looks damn good. all you self proclaimed "experts" need to go find something else to do with your time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, do you know you're supposed to center off the the bore, not the OD?  
LOL
Just kidding man.  That shit is for hacks and noobs, anyway.  Here is what I use to do my own threading:

That tool, and a calibrated eyeball is all you need!  Here's a picture of a wicked barrel fluting job I did with the tool above.  It's the tits, no?  

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

wow...and some of you wonder why this forum sucks. someone can't post something without the turds coming out and slamming the guys work. if the owner plans on mounting a can, then maybe he should of sent it to ADCO to have the work done. if not, then the work this guy did is just fine and looks damn good. all you self proclaimed "experts" need to go find something else to do with your time.

The flash hider shown in the photos is a suppressor mount, so the customer probably has intentions of mounting a suppressor at some time.

And BigBore was the toughest one in this group, and he works for ADCO...

But yeah, anybody that is not a machinist or has little or no experience in barrel work should just sit back and learn...

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

LOL

Just kidding man.  That shit is for hacks and noobs, anyway.  Here is what I use to do my own threading:

http://www.248am.com/images/dremel300.jpg

That tool, and a calibrated eyeball is all you need!  Here's a picture of a wicked barrel fluting job I did with the tool above.  It's the tits, no?  

http://i55.tinypic.com/qn4ihj.jpg

Love the work man! CLEAN clean work! More importantly I love your blanket!  

LOL I've got a fuzzy blanket gun pic also, it's my girls blanket though...

My Kahr P9 EDC I built from parts, she has night sights now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, this thread got ugly.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This thread got a little tense, but frankly, it's the best thread I've read all day.  Very informative to us non-machinist types.

OP's work looks great and he obviously takes a lot of pride in his work.  I have a feeling, the next barrell he does will be perfect without any doubt.  This was probably the first of many.  

OP, that's one shinny ass Kahr

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Everyone keeps talking about a suppressor. That is either a super old AAC FH or its the Sig FH. If its the Sig FH, AAC has said NOT TO USE THAT FOR THEIR SUPPRESSORS.

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

amen brotha

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#16]
One of the better threads in quite a while.  

Sure beats 'what coating on BCG'  that appears about weekly.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I've never seen photos of it in process. Those were pretty cool. Even if some think you did it wrong. I have no idea if you did or not.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 2:55:21 AM EDT
[#18]
This thread made me laugh.

This comment is not directed at everyone in this thread but while reading some of the opinions I had to wonder how many of the posters could do a basic job like remove and install a flash hider.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This comment is not directed at everyone in this thread but while reading some of the opinions I had to wonder how many of the posters could do a basic job like remove and install a flash hider.

" You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?"

It's a movie quote for those that don't know.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Everyone keeps talking about a suppressor. That is either a super old AAC FH or its the Sig FH. If its the Sig FH, AAC has said NOT TO USE THAT FOR THEIR SUPPRESSORS.

That's an AAC A1 18 tooth flash suppressor mount from the older M4-2000.  Wish they still made them.  

That said, the OP never mentioned anything about the customer using it with a can, just that the customer had the flash suppressor laying around and wanted to use that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Youre a funny guy.

Quoted:
Quoted:

" You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?"

It's a movie quote for those that don't know.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL

http://www.248am.com/images/dremel300.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/qn4ihj.jpg

Thank goodness for the comic relief this thread needed.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 6:19:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I understand how the OP got a little testy.

There are machinists, and there are machinists that build stuff that spins at 38,000RPM, where an imbalance equal to that of a postage stamp destroys a 5 million dollar engine, and a bad job not only ends up in a ruined career, but dead people as well. Aerospace machinists are in the latter group.

The first post from ADCO, to me, seemed like a little bit of a gotcha. Most people ask about using the correct technique when being constructive, not the incorrect technique. Perhaps an IM would have been a little more appropriate when referencing a possibly incorrect procedure rather than throw it out there in public.

That being said, the thread has been very informative.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 6:30:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

There are machinists, and there are machinists that build stuff that spins at 38,000RPM, where an imbalance equal to that of a postage stamp destroys a 5 million dollar engine, and a bad job not only ends up in a ruined career, but dead people as well. Aerospace machinists are in the latter group.

A 5.56 projectile at 3000fps out of a 1/7 barrel is spinning about 309000 rpm

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 6:38:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Math is not your strong point is it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3000FPS x 60sec/min x 12in/ft = 2,160,000 inches/minute

With a 1/7 twist barrel that's one full revolution every seven inches.

So 2,160,000/7 = 308,571 RPM

I'm pretty darn good at math actually.  How else do you get a mechanical engineering degree?

(ETA: you wasted post 223 on being wrong...)

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The first post from ADCO, to me, seemed like a little bit of a gotcha. Most people ask about using the correct technique when being constructive, not the incorrect technique. Perhaps an IM would have been a little more appropriate when referencing a possibly incorrect procedure rather than throw it out there in public.

That being said, the thread has been very informative.

Thanks K80
Just for clarity, it's actually ground turbines that my shop works on. Some smaller models are actually very similar to the turbines on an aircraft, one model we repair parts for actually used to be on 747's, but they have been converted to ground use for power generation. The bigger models like GE LM series have been designed strictly for ground power so they don't have the size and weight restrictions the flight turbines have. We do a lot of work for Royal Caribbean's GE LM turbines, PSE&G Pratt turbines, and other ground turbine shops that send us the parts for repair. We do Plasma spray restorations, Welding shop, Machining, Coatings, Media blasting, Heat treating/Annealing etc etc. We pretty much do everything, the only thing we send out for are plating services.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Keep your chin up OP.  There are quite a few "experts" here on ARFCOM.  They're easily identifiable by their large post counts which generally pale in comparison to their egos.  Looks like you guys do fine work.

To the people who seemed to be turned off by the first several rounds of comments from ADCO;  please don't let bigbore's big ego / mouth dissuade you from doing business with them.  They do excellent work and stand behind their product.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Id just like to apologize if we came off a little harsh, we didnt mean it that way. As the guy who does the machine work for ADCO, you did a good job.

Thanks Green
Don't worry about it, I've got thick skin. I appreciate the comment on my work as well.

Quoted:
Keep your chin up OP.  There are quite a few "experts" here on ARFCOM.  They're easily identifiable by their large post counts which generally pale in comparison to their egos.  Looks like you guys do fine work.

It's as high as it's always been Trock Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

To the people who seemed to be turned off by the first several rounds of comments from ADCO;  please don't let bigbore's big ego / mouth dissuade you from doing business with them.  They do excellent work and stand behind their product.

+1.

My dad used to work in a machine shop down south. He is always telling me about the things he did and what not. Machine work really is fascinating. I'd love it if I could spend a day or more in a machine shop.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Can't this be settled with a range report?
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#33]
I worked in a machine shop years ago, not as a machinist, but as a constuction contractor, and this article was posted in the shop.......great article...by Jay Leno
http://www.kanabco.com/vms/callingallmachinists.html
and this was a serious shop a division of one of the biggest Companies in the US.....read it....
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I worked in a machine shop years ago, not as a machinist, but as a constuction contractor, and this article was posted in the shop.......great article...by Jay Leno
and this was a serious shop a division of one of the biggest Companies in the US.....read it....

Damn fine read.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Personally I feel like some others, this is great thread and much more informative than most.

My observations so far:

The OP getting upset was understandable, he's human and obviously takes immense pride in his work and also takes it personally. (I can relate and do the same)

ADCO certainly knows their stuff about barrels and are not neccessarily "experts" with tip toeing around with their opinions (I can also relate, BTDT many times)

The main thing I learned for sure, is I probably shouldn't attempt this procedure using my 1948 South Bend Model 9 (B) 48" lathe...and even if it could, I certainly shouldn't :-)
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Great Article,
I love Jay Leno, I'm actually a big time Car/motorcycle guy. I'm just about to finish up a fully custom Yukon, shaved door handles, one off interior, two tone paint and I'm in the process of assembling a custom 6.0L w/  a supercharger to drop in and replace the 5.3 all done by me personally over the course of the last yr or so. Wiring, upholstery, painting etc.  

The Machinest guys might like this...

The truck it goes in...

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Make sure there is a custom AR rack in that yukon
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Got room for THESE in that Yukon?  
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

3000FPS x 60sec/min x 12in/ft = 2,160,000 inches/minute  

With a 1/7 twist barrel that's one full revolution every seven inches.

So 2,160,000/7 = 308,571 RPM

I'm pretty darn good at math actually.  How else do you get a mechanical engineering degree?

(ETA: you wasted post 223 on being wrong...)

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great Article,
I love Jay Leno, I'm actually a big time Car/motorcycle guy. I'm just about to finish up a fully custom Yukon, shaved door handles, one off interior, two tone paint and I'm in the process of assembling a custom 6.0L w/  a supercharger to drop in and replace the 5.3 all done by me personally over the course of the last yr or so. Wiring, upholstery, painting etc.  

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo180/CopperAndBlack/22728449.jpg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo180/CopperAndBlack/355ab9df.jpg

The truck it goes in...

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo180/CopperAndBlack/1-3.jpg

Dang dude, we have a lot in common..I have been known to design/fabricate/sell a SuperCharger system or 2, among other go fast stuff (still do) :-)

We better not get started on that kind of stuff here, they might ban us, or worse..send us to GD where the real crazies and Zombies are.. LOL

Edit: Here is a pic link for ya, Pic Link thought it might be safer than posting the pic, I'm scared of those Ban sticks, they hurt!!!

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great Article,

The truck it goes in...

Dang dude, we have a lot in common..I have been known to design/fabricate/sell a SuperCharger system or 2, among other go fast stuff (still do) :-)

We better not get started on that kind of stuff here, they might ban us, or worse..send us to GD where the real crazies and Zombies are.. LOL

Edit: Here is a pic link for ya, Pic Link thought it might be safer than posting the pic, I'm scared of those Ban sticks, they hurt!!!

I had no idea I could get baned for posting a few pics. Sorry admins, won't happen again.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great Article,

The truck it goes in...

928?

ETA: And the bronze/black looks good.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
928?
That's what the brace and blower say...

928 Specialists.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

928?
That's what the brace says...  

I first though 944

I didn't even see that until you mentioned it. Duh.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I had no idea I could get baned for posting a few pics. Sorry admins, won't happen again.

Sorry man, that was tongue and check, but typically Mods don't like people getting off topic on thread subjects, they like it even less when people get completely out of the realm of the forum area, i.e Cars on Technical Gun Forums.

Edit: Yes, 928, that one is an old 1985 model, BTW NO 944's...being an ole NC redneck, it's gotta have a V-8 for me to have anything to do with it :-)
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And a rock dropped from a bridge will reach a velocity in the neighborhood of 200mph, but I'm not impressed with the level of engineering found in the rock, or it's ability to accelerate to 200 mph without being acted upon by some outside force.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#47]
As a man with a little knowledge of aerospace superalloys, I can appreciate your experience in the machining of turbine parts .  Hell, most on here don't know the difference between 4140 and 4150 let alone anything about Ni & Co based alloys (Rene, GTD, Inconel, Stellite, Mar M, PWA, nimonic, etc) that go in turbines.  Good job on the barrel.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Seriously, this thread has it all.   Proud OP, testy poster, butt hurt OP, excelent machining info, some questionable math backed up by some serious math, an Oprahish apology from testy poster's co-worker, cars and Jay Leno.  Have I missed anything?    
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#49]
~ Deleted by moderator. Do that again, and you're gone. ~
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics show indicating off the OD.  Bigbore did the proper thing to advise against the wrong method that was shown in the pics by the OP.  I used to machine flight safety and flight critical parts for the aerospace industry, so I have a basic knowledge about machining.

I guess some people like learning the hard way.

I give up, it's like talking to 5 yr olds.......for the 4 or 5th time now.....I went off of the ID chamfer.

Unfortunately that is NOT what you wrote on page 1.

You clearly stated you cut the threads centered off the OD.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you cut the threads centered off the OD?

Yes sir, then I doubled checked it to the Id chamfer.

You then imply it was only AFTER the threads were cut, that you checked the ID.

So before you call people 5 yos, perhaps you should checkwhat you wrote.

Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top