Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2011 6:46:51 PM EDT
I've got a 16"  and am wresting with getting a vert foregrip but not sure.  My buddy has a Sig 556 and the piston model with the foregrip makes it extremely unbalanced and front heavy.  The DI I've got is more balanced...

So, what are your thoughts on foregrips?  Do you see an accuracy advantage?  What are reasons to not get one outside of weight and maybe cost?  They seem standard issue for a SOCOM kit...
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a cheap one, see if you like it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep. Try the magpul rvg or a used knights grip. I tried everything and wound up liking the stubby very grips.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If there isn't a specific reason you need an accessory on your gun, leave it off. Otherwise you end up with a tacticluttered heavy gun. You can't think of why you NEED one, don't put it on.

A vertical foregrip is good for CQB where it helps with faster pointing of the weapon. It can also be used as a handstop, but you can get minimalist, light handstops that will probably work better for that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't see any need for one unless you have all the military items up front like laser designator that block off your normal handguards. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I have a TD stubby use it for a hand stop. It doesn't add any noticable weight. I like it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have FUG's on mine w/ the small attachment, and I honestly just use them as hand-stops. I'm gonna test out some "actual" hand-stops to see what works best.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Agreed that if you get one get a cheap one first.

I started with a big ass GG&G one a long time ago but I was a poor college student and didn't shoot it much. Fast forward to a few years ago when I started have money to spend on bullets and started to compete in tactical matches. I used it but discovered how much it got in the way. So on my newer rifle I put on a Magpul stubby and though it was better then the GG&G it still got in the way. So now all my AR's are without a VFG of any kind. I would entertain a handstop but really and aggressive thumb over the top and straight arm works better for driving the gun and controlling recoil IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I started with a Tango Down stubby and over time changed to a Magpul AFG,  I felt led to a more natural position for my support hand.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So, what are your thoughts on foregrips?  Do you see an accuracy advantage?  What are reasons to not get one outside of weight and maybe cost?  They seem standard issue for a SOCOM kit...

They are standard on SOCOM kits because the military crams so much mission essential equipment onto a 7" rail that there is no longer space for their hand.

However, if you do not share that burden then a vertical foregrip is likely unnecessary.

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a VFG because I find it helps me activate the tailcap on my light better. However when I'm not using the light, I prefer to run without the VFG too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 4:02:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got a 16"  and am wresting with getting a vert foregrip but not sure.  My buddy has a Sig 556 and the piston model with the foregrip makes it extremely unbalanced and front heavy.  The DI I've got is more balanced...

The reason your friend's Sig is unbalanced and front heavy......is because it is an unbalanced and front heavy weapon already.  The VFG isn't doing that.  Get a Magpul grip.  It's cheap and light.  When using it, remember not to grab it like a broom handle.  

It's not a difference b/w "tacticool" vs. "Fudds" and stupid shit like that should be left out of the responses.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 5:21:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I resisted the VFG for a while thinking it was unnecessary.

Bought a used KAC VFG at a gun show for $12 just to give it a try on my LMT 16". I liked it at first but after a while went back to thinking it was unnecessary and removed it.

Give one a try, you might like it. I didn't really use it as a grip but more as a hand stop when shooting and as a grab handle when not.

Link Posted: 11/28/2011 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I went the route of an AFG after using the verticle ones forever.  I was able to get more tension back and I can keep on target in fast firing sessions better with a higher front grip.  It also feels more natural.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I use one on a couple short rails and don't on a couple long rails.  As has been said, they are cheap to try out.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a lightweight one.  I also like the shorter ones.  I run a Magpul on mine.  It works well.  Go give one a shot.  They aren't that expensive and if you don't like it you can sell it as a like new item to recoup the cost.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a Tango Down foregrip, and decided for the way I use my AR it was just unnecessary weight. I traded it for something I would use more often - a LMT rear sight.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I like using a TD stubby on my carbine. I too use it as an index point / handstop, not like a broomstick. But it does help me activate my light easier - the light is my only accessory on the handguards. Now that I've been using one a while it just feels normal and natural to me. That said, a carbine without one is equally effective and I handle one fine, I just like the VFG.

-JC
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#18]
They are not for me, but try it to see if it works for you.  I find the stubbier ones the least obtrusive and function like a handstop
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 5:13:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I use mine as more of a hand stop.  I went with the Larue with the quick detatch.  I actually like it ALOT.  good quality.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Get a Magpul RVG. About ~$20 and does everything you need a foregrip to do.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Had the vert grips on several ARs back in the day. Then caught the "minimalist" bug (simple and robust) and starting to analyze what I had on my rifles and what I actually used.

Found when running and gunning, especially CQB distances, my hand naturally slid back to grip the mag well, not the vert grip. Ended up taking one vert grip off, then another...now only the wife's AR has one...

They do look tacti-cool, but I have little use for them...YMMV.

Cheers,

Link Posted: 11/29/2011 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I wanted to like them, but now I just use scar panels.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I was wondering the same thing you were a while back. I bought one of the KAC VFG to get an idea but it was just too long for what I wanted so I cut it down to about 21/2”. Like some of the others I was using it more so for a hand stop.

Well that got me thinking I should just try hand stops so I went out in the shop and made some actual hand stops out of Delrin. Yeah I know I’m one of those guys that will spend 3 hours in the shop rather than spend $25 bucks on a hand stop. Plus no one makes a hand stop that can go on a round Non-railed free float tube.

I say try it all, see what fits your needs and the purpose or your shooting. Get some inexpensive stuff and try it first before you spend big bucks on the next best thing. Heck I had 2 Magpul AFG that I just had to have that I ended up giving away.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Like what the others said. Get the Mapul grip, cheap, small, tough. I use mine as a hand stop/ reference point, with the "thumb break" hold. Also, I've used as a unipod. And it works good for that when shooting off a bench.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Like what the others said. Get the Mapul grip, cheap, small, tough. I use mine as a hand stop/ reference point, with the "thumb break" hold. Also, I've used as a unipod. And it works good for that when shooting off a bench.[/span]

+1 Same ways I use mine on my MOE handgaurd.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top