Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 13
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Just because they are PJs doesn't mean they are gun guys. More than likely whoever put that NCStar rail on that rifle doesn't know shit about what's good and bad and just thought it looked cool. Don't try overthinking it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ek_cruiser_316:

No military background here and very intrigued that PJs would be using NCStar shit. What exactly denotes these are real deal PJs? In no way am I saying they aren't just how can one know 100%?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Originally Posted By sdrake100:
Originally Posted By methical20:
There are some new AFSOC photos that show a NC Star MLOK extended FSP hand guard being used along with some BCM furniture (stock, pistol grip). Does anyone have experience with the NC Star rail? It doesn't look very robust, and I'd be shocked if it could hold a zero with a laser if it was pushed up against a barricade. I'd like to learn more if anyone has experience with it.

Pics?

http://i.imgur.com/SBVOwhx.jpg

No military background here and very intrigued that PJs would be using NCStar shit. What exactly denotes these are real deal PJs? In no way am I saying they aren't just how can one know 100%?

I was involved in part of the work to transition PJ training from 19th Air Force to 2nd Air Force, so I had "a little experience" with PJs overall.  Those guys sure look legit to me.  What I don't understand is why they have a white truck with a DOT # that crosses to Enterprise rental in Birmingham, Alabama...

NcStar has a CAGE Code (6PES7), which means they're "in the system," so I think these parts would be relatively simple to get through standard supply channels.  Also, in many cases Air Force units don't get much leeway in how far individual Airmen can "customize" their weapons, and PJs are no exception.  Those rails are "drop in" units, which means the unit armorer didn't have to change barrel nuts (you'd have to do that with the Geissele rail, but not with a Knights RIS), so they didn't require any special permission, either.

If you look carefully, you can see that the guy in the background on the left has the same rail on his rifle.  I'm thinking the unit may have had to set up some weapons that they didn't have "better respected" rails for, maybe just to participate in this clearly staged publicity picture.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

I was involved in part of the work to transition PJ training from 19th Air Force to 2nd Air Force, so I had "a little experience" with PJs overall.  Those guys sure look legit to me.  What I don't understand is why they have a white truck with a DOT # that crosses to Enterprise rental in Birmingham, Alabama...

NcStar has a CAGE Code (6PES7), which means they're "in the system," so I think these parts would be relatively simple to get through standard supply channels.  Also, in many cases Air Force units don't get much leeway in how far individual Airmen can "customize" their weapons, and PJs are no exception.  Those rails are "drop in" units, which means the unit armorer didn't have to change barrel nuts (you'd have to do that with the Geissele rail, but not with a Knights RIS), so they didn't require any special permission, either.

If you look carefully, you can see that the guy in the background on the left has the same rail on his rifle.  I'm thinking the unit may have had to set up some weapons that they didn't have "better respected" rails for, maybe just to participate in this clearly staged publicity picture.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Originally Posted By sdrake100:
Originally Posted By methical20:
There are some new AFSOC photos that show a NC Star MLOK extended FSP hand guard being used along with some BCM furniture (stock, pistol grip). Does anyone have experience with the NC Star rail? It doesn't look very robust, and I'd be shocked if it could hold a zero with a laser if it was pushed up against a barricade. I'd like to learn more if anyone has experience with it.

Pics?

http://i.imgur.com/SBVOwhx.jpg

I bet that is a rental vehicle because they are away from their home base, training. It's been known it to happen, to use civilian vehicles in training. It even happens in real missions.

Again, no need to over think things.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:17:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hcdrughunter] [#4]
Could be a private class.  I went to a select fire class back in 2006 in Florence, Alabama   and there were a few PJs in it.  Had the M4s and M9s locked up in pelican cases on a g ride. They were running M4 with aimpoints gooseneck and rails attached to the hand guards, not even RAS.   I remember because one of them was was the size of an ogre and broke the bottom hand guard off during a run.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Started back up the clone. Need to order a Colt 14.5 upper. Still deciding if I want to order a GG&G MAD rear sight or go with the Matech. I might even just use a KAC micro 300M.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

It is very common to rent vehicles when TDY and use them as needed .  Don't read too much into the cage code thing- anyone can get a code. It doesn't mean you do/did business with the government, just that you've taken one step toward the process
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Metro6:
Don't read too much into the cage code thing- anyone can get a code. It doesn't mean you do/did business with the government, just that you've taken one step toward the process
View Quote

Good point.  I was just trying to make sense of this particular choice.  I have this thing about me - weird stuff needs some sort of explanation...  It makes things harder for me sometimes.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:40:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BravoSierra] [#9]

Great thread, one of the more interesting ones.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread needs some love.

Here is my attempt.

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tonyxcom:
This thread needs some love.

Here is my attempt.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4481604/forum-pics/pj-ar.jpg
View Quote
Where did you get the FDE Omega rail?
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Time for a bump. 

From teh google:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Door gunner's tan flight suit makes him look like he's dropping a deuce behind our intrepid PJ
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
We can't let this thread die:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Should builds like this have government profile barrels or Socom? 
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:32:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12345678] [#18]
Originally Posted By Augee:
Not sure if this one's been in this thread, but it's a USAFSOC carbine:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5051/5477155873_11c2f3833b_z.jpg

From the Air Force's Flickr.

~Augee
View Quote
Kinda late in the game, but there's a picture out there somewhere of this guy standing in the exact same pose with the world's cleanest Mk.11.

ETA: Found it

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5178/5477151319_96e45260a0_b.jpg
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe he is CCT.  Probably just posing with other weapons.  The first pic above might be his but I doubt this last one is.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:32:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crazysarge16] [#21]
Had some spare time today so I thought I'd take some pictures of my PJ clone rifle

While I was in the Army, did see a few PJs from time to time as they traveled to our little region of Afghanistan. I mainly spent time with Air Force EOD, got roped in as their driver on multiple missions so they would all dismount for big operations while I stayed with their truck. Good group of guys

This started life as a Colt Expanse, mainly cause I wanted the upper and lower and ditched the BCG and barrel since they weren't true Colt. Has slowly expanded over the years into what you see now. Still need to get an optic, but that's on the to do list

Colt LE marked M4 lower complete
SPIKES T2 buffer
Vltor FDE stock
Tango Down FDE grip
Colt "C" marked upper
MagTech BUIS
Colt BCG
BCM Mod4 CH
Colt 14.5" barrel pinned/welded by Adco
Daniel Defense Omega rail
KAC multicam rail panels
Magpul AFG
Surefire 951 FDE (need to replace the head cause it strobs)
Vickers NSN sling

Only thing I deviated on was having a Magpul enhanced trigger guard, seekins precision mag release button, and the MagPul BAD

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 2:33:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Very cool. Thank you for keeping the thread alive.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:03:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Bump.

I can't figure out how to embed the linked video from my phone, but there's some AFSOC carbine goodness after the jump:

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/02/27/83rd-eprs/
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 11:18:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#25]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Bump.

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#27]
As far as the omega 7” rail has anyone seen the fde version in the wild or are they only black
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#28]
They are definitely out there in the wild.  I am fairly certain they can be seen in the TV series about them.

Here is my rifle
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 7:58:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gdavis8] [#30]
What is the general consensus on light selection if I did want to feature one on this type of build?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:44:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gdavis8] [#31]
My (16") contribution:

Really like the bespoke nature of this spec and pretty pleased with how it turned out!
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By gdavis8:
What is the general consensus on light selection if I did want to feature one on this type of build?
View Quote
It will vary, but scout lights should be good to go. Inforce WMLs are becoming more prevalent from what I have seen.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Bump!
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey y'all I'm trying to get started on a Pj/afsoc clone I didn't read all the pages but isn't a an afsoc clone basically a block 1 but with different furniture
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 3:09:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imdBman] [#35]
Originally Posted By Gonzaar24:
Hey y'all I'm trying to get started on a Pj/afsoc clone I didn't read all the pages but isn't a an afsoc clone basically a block 1 but with different furniture
View Quote
Good news for you, the AF unit level purchase leaves a large variety of aftermarket options open for a build.  Could be a Blk I, Blk II M4A1 or a Mk18.  I have seen all of those with them.  I just left an AFSOC graduation that had 2 newer FN M4A1 Blk I on display.  1 had an M68 Aimpoint and the otber had a Trijicon reflex sight.  The airman at the display said he had never seen that reflex sight before.  This was a training facility not operational.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By imdBman:

Good news for you, the AF unit level purchase leaves a large variety of aftermarket options open for a build.  Could be a Blk I, Blk II M4A1 or a Mk18.  I have seen all of those with them.  I just left an AFSOC graduation that had 2 newer FN M4A1 Blk I on display.  1 had an M68 Aimpoint and the otber had a Trijicon reflex sight.  The airman at the display said he had never seen that reflex sight before.  This was a training facility not operational.
View Quote
So does the afsoc community put whatever they want on their rifles? Or is there a specific requirement. Like I've seen nothing but dd omega and kac rails and what do you mean by unit level purchases?
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Gonzaar24:

So does the afsoc community put whatever they want on their rifles? Or is there a specific requirement. Like I've seen nothing but dd omega and kac rails and what do you mean by unit level purchases?
View Quote
Whatever they want is a bit of a stretch, but many units on AFSOC have much more leeway for mounting different items. The cool guy units have massive budgets compared to conventional units, so they end up with a larger variety of gear and weapons accessories. Some of it is issued by the AF, some of it is purchased by individual units from their own funds.

Different pots of money is all; the sky is nearly the limit for variation, as long as the commander signs off on it. The AF may issue Surefire lights, but a unit may decide they want a different brand or a light with a different capability, and purchase them for their guys. Same with things like the Vltor stocks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 4:03:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Make_Mine_Moxie:
Whatever they want is a bit of a stretch, but many units on AFSOC have much more leeway for mounting different items. The cool guy units have massive budgets compared to conventional units, so they end up with a larger variety of gear and weapons accessories. Some of it is issued by the AF, some of it is purchased by individual units from their own funds.

Different pots of money is all; the sky is nearly the limit for variation, as long as the commander signs off on it. The AF may issue Surefire lights, but a unit may decide they want a different brand or a light with a different capability, and purchase them for their guys. Same with things like the Vltor stocks.  
View Quote
Gotcha. I just want to make a clone correct rifle only specs I found what people (cloners and afsoc) were using were dd omega rails and vltor buttstocks. Guess I'll just stick with that
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Make_Mine_Moxie:
Whatever they want is a bit of a stretch, but many units on AFSOC have much more leeway for mounting different items. The cool guy units have massive budgets compared to conventional units, so they end up with a larger variety of gear and weapons accessories. Some of it is issued by the AF, some of it is purchased by individual units from their own funds. 

Different pots of money is all; the sky is nearly the limit for variation, as long as the commander signs off on it. The AF may issue Surefire lights, but a unit may decide they want a different brand or a light with a different capability, and purchase them for their guys. Same with things like the Vltor stocks.  
View Quote

Much simpler than that with the Vltor stocks:
1010-01-586-2718, VLTOR EMOD TAN
1010-01-586-2722, VLTOR EMOD BLACK
1010-01-586-2723, VLTOR EMOD GREEN

1010-01-586-3601, VLTOR IMOD STD TAN
1010-01-585-9988, VLTOR IMOD STD BLACK
1010-01-585-9994, VLTOR IMOD STD GREEN
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 2011BLDR:

Much simpler than that with the Vltor stocks:
1010-01-586-2718, VLTOR EMOD TAN
1010-01-586-2722, VLTOR EMOD BLACK
1010-01-586-2723, VLTOR EMOD GREEN

1010-01-586-3601, VLTOR IMOD STD TAN
1010-01-585-9988, VLTOR IMOD STD BLACK
1010-01-585-9994, VLTOR IMOD STD GREEN
View Quote
Learn something new every day.

Pic thread:

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MALICIOUS2551:
View Quote

wow reviving a year old thread
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:

Looks more CCT than PJ.
View Quote
Came up under a Google search for pararescue carbine. You could be right, though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:34:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Cool thread, subscribed! I was surprised to see this pop up in active threads, I have never seen it before. Some cool builds here and I love the AF, being retired after 27 years.

I was under the 129th RQW out of Moffett FAF, CA for most of my career but at a smaller GSU, squadron level. When 9/11 happened I got assigned to Security Forces/Force Protection at Moffett for several months. I was a young TSGT and didn't own an AR at the time. I'm pretty sure we were issued A2's but swore they were safe/semi/full. I got to go full auto a couple times after shooting expert, but that may have been an A1. The PJ's, CATM and SF didn't have a unit level armorer so we had this Army guy that would show up every few months to work on the PJ's gun. He was always setting off the vault alarm and we'd have to respond Code 3. Once we got there and called all clear I usually hung out a bit and observed. I mean, who doesn't want to hang out with PJ's and their guns!

I mostly remember them having M4's and was always wishing I could get a collapsible stock and quad rail. I don't recall the specifics but I remember a pretty standard config and most had lights and lasers. There was this PJ who showed up at our M9 qualification course one day with a 1911. The other PJ's were giving him a bad time about it but I thought it was cool. I remember him sitting down about 15 yards behind the firing line on the bleachers and shooting at the 50 yard line targets. He was making hits and shot better than some of the other PJ's with their 9's. The RSO cut the PJ's a lot of slack, the closest thing to SOF to visit his range.

The PJ's were super busy during this time and since we spent a lot of time on the flight line we got to watch them train on fast-rope, touch-and-goes, etc. The 129th also has C-130's and those guy were always flying everywhere and practicing drops, etc. It was good duty. I got to work days and as a NCO I was mostly assigned to patrol so I didn't have to watch rivets too much. No rifle pic, although I have some other clones that are close, but here is me one rare day when the Pave Hawks were parked.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#47]
(copied from the MK18/CQBR thread)

Geissele MK16 9.3" spotted in the wild.

Notice the 1/2 MLOK slot on the gun just to the right of the blue jacket.

MK16 9.3" rails = kosher(?)

Attachment Attached File

Mine:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 11:04:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#48]
Close up:

Attachment Attached File

Geissele MK16 9.3"
Attachment Attached File

EDIT:

Further digging states that these are PJs from the 48th Rescue Squadron.

Attachment Attached File

High-Res image:

https://external-preview.redd.it/4UhEm5u7VrIK9o5SBG21-ewXa2JbHMZpdMAM5UM7LQE.jpg?auto=webp&s=4646319daf854d986740c62a5512698a1734299a
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:35:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By PFran42:
(copied from the MK18/CQBR thread)

Geissele MK16 9.3" spotted in the wild.

Notice the 1/2 MLOK slot on the gun just to the right of the blue jacket.

MK16 9.3" rails = kosher(?)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/D28-DC089-8231-43-B1-A4-D4-B50322502-E19-1486046.JPG

Mine:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/IMG_20200416_152707_jpg-1486048.JPG
View Quote
The pistol grip on the carbine on the far right in the foreground looks a bit unusual, almost like horizontal serrations. I can't tell if it is actually a non-standard grip of some sort, or just dust and crud flying around in the photo.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:18:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#50]
Originally Posted By Make_Mine_Moxie:
The pistol grip on the carbine on the far right in the foreground looks a bit unusual, almost like horizontal serrations. I can't tell if it is actually a non-standard grip of some sort, or just dust and crud flying around in the photo.
View Quote

M249

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Page / 13
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top