Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2012 6:31:11 PM EDT
Hey fellas, my coyote rig is an old {but in great shape} Ruger M77 in 22-250, std barrel, I have a nikon scope on there, with a bipod, and light... Gun still has the wood stock pretty much like the day she was made in 1971 except for a Ruger trigger job...
I use that gun just for coyotes, it is the std barl not the varmint barrel {I have to carry that thing 2-5 miles most times}....

Now I am thinking about building a specific coyote AR, not really for follow up shots, since once them boys hear the first shot, you cant focus on another one before they are gone....  Thats another reason I prefer the lighter barrel,  only 1 shot at a time, so no need for the extra barl material,,,,

So how are your coyote guns setup, pics will help, thanks   also what caliber you running, I was thinking 223 is definitely plenty and cheap to buy and build...
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey fellas, my coyote rig is an old {but in great shape} Ruger M77 in 22-250, std barrel, I have a nikon scope on there, with a bipod, and light... Gun still has the wood stock pretty much like the day she was made in 1971 except for a Ruger trigger job...
I use that gun just for coyotes, it is the std barl not the varmint barrel {I have to carry that thing 2-5 miles most times}....

Now I am thinking about building a specific coyote AR, not really for follow up shots, since once them boys hear the first shot, you cant focus on another one before they are gone....  Thats another reason I prefer the lighter barrel,  only 1 shot at a time, so no need for the extra barl material,,,,

So how are your coyote guns setup, pics will help, thanks   also what caliber you running, I was thinking 223 is definitely plenty and cheap to buy and build...

I have a co-worker with an AR set up for yotes.  But if I were you (building from scratch), I'd build a 300 blackout, with a silencer, and subsonic rounds.  If they don't here the first one.......
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a pic of some I built up. (Pre triggers.)  Ha.

The second is my Dad's.

It sounds like you have a pretty nice setup already but it is nice to have a few extra rds to sling at them when they get to hauling ass

Good luck

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a co-worker with an AR set up for yotes.  But if I were you (building from scratch), I'd build a 300 blackout, with a silencer, and subsonic rounds.  If they don't here the first one.......

A coyote can hear a mouse 100 yards away a suppressor will not give you any advantage hunting coyotes in terms of noise suppression.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]

RRA lower, RRA 2 stage trigger, Stag upper, Micor comp, Nikon 3x9x40.

LOVES Black Hills 55gr soft points.

And, here she is dressed for the dance.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 3:10:36 AM EDT
[#5]
nice guys, I am thinking camo {mossy oak style}...  fluted 18" brl with a target crown...
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 3:48:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Remington R-15 .VTR Predetor 223  Rifle - Timney 3# Skeletonized Trigger - Badger Ordinance Gen II Tactical Charging Handle Latch - ERGO Grip - Nikon M-223 scope (w.Rapid Turret) , 4" Sun Shade, and M-223 mount. Stonry Point Rapid Bi-pod. Fox Pro FX3 w/remote 'Critter'. Cabela's 3 Cree LED Light. 55 gr. V-Max. (Hornady and/or Georgia Arms). This rifle is a little on the heavy side and I wouldn't want to have to hump it around all day long. But it is accutate!

(Updated Photo)

238 yards. One shot......
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 4:33:22 AM EDT
[#7]

16" Hbar, Nikon M-223 Scope. I use Sierra 63 grain semi-point handloads, and can hit minute of coyote out to 400 pretty easily. No need for anything further than that in my area. What ranges you looking to shoot at?
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 4:35:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r222/hans1911/kewl.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r222/hans1911/kewl2.jpg

Where did you get the dress?
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I just howl on the predator call and when they come running it, I get the first shot out at 150. If they survive that one, I get them on the way out before the 200 yard bracket. So far, I have had pretty good luck. I have taken 3 coyotes with that technique and I have hit one on the run at 175 yards. Granted they run on an established path out here so it is easy to lead the little doggies. I'll be honest, it took a bit or trial and error, but they just keep coming.

The setup is a DPMS Oracle .223/5.56 with an NC Star MK III. Lots of fun to practice on moving targets.

Tim
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:27:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't need to be anything fancy. This is my go-to/do-all AR set-up. He was about 150-170 yards out.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:52:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I use an RRA predator Pursuit with a nikon monarch 4x16 mildot and it is just about perfect for yotes.Shots out to 200 yards are no problem and 300 is within reason if conditions are good.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 6:10:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Cobbled up general purpose carbine:

They check into my backyard but they don't check out!
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Remington R-15 .VTR Predetor 223  Rifle - Timney 3# Skeletonized Trigger - Badger Ordinance Gen II Tactical Charging Handle Latch - ERGO Grip - Nikon M-223 scope (w.Rapid Turret) , 4" Sun Shade, and M-223 mount. Stonry Point Rapid Bi-pod. Fox Pro FX3 w/remote 'Critter'. Cabela's 3 Cree LED Light. 55 gr. V-Max. (Hornady and/or Georgia Arms). This rifle is a little on the heavy side and I wouldn't want to have to hump it around all day long. But it is accutate!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/Eric300_photos/Guns/pics008-1.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/Eric300_photos/Targets/r15010.jpg

(Updated Photo)
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/Eric300_photos/Guns/r15002-1.jpg

238 yards. One shot......
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/Eric300_photos/Deer%20and%20other%20critters/coyote006.jpg

You sure thats not a pet yote, he looks like hes sleeping?    Nice shooting on that paper for sure, Im going to have to look into the rem ar's now, you got me interested...  Is that your light above your scope? link to one of them?
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r222/hans1911/kewl.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r222/hans1911/kewl2.jpg

Where did you get the dress?

At Dunhams on clearance.  Camo sleeve for a shotgun trimmed to fit.  She is redneck, she don't need high-falutin' threads.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#15]
This is how I've got mine setup now.  The scope and bipod are new.  I had used an aimpoint with a 3x magnifier previously.  This new setup will be tested in late June.

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Any flat top AR with decent trigger and barrel will do the trick. I prefer freefloated barrels. I have several in .223/5.56 one in 6.8 but my favorite at the moment is a 22" 6mm DTI. Similar performance of the 22-250. Great thing about the AR is being able to tailor it to your exact needs. I'll try to share some pics later.

Good hunting
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#17]
You sure thats not a pet yote, he looks like hes sleeping?    Nice shooting on that paper for sure, Im going to have to look into the rem ar's now, you got me interested...  Is that your light above your scope? link to one of them?[/quote]

Oh, it's sleeping all right......permenantly! Take one 55 gr. V-max and call me in the morning. It was a youngen' mousing out in the field in the middle of the afternoon. The light I got from Cabela's. I really like it because it's all self-contained, no big battery to lug around and no long power cord to get tangeled up in. It runs on 4 lithum A123 (or whatever the numbers are) and has a flip-up red lens, 3 Cree LED's will light up a yote at 150 yards even with the red lens on. It's a little big (there is a smaller size) but that doesn't bother me any,  I think it was $100 or $120. You mght also want to check out 'The Assassinator' light at www.hogheavenoutfitters.com

Here was my vantage point.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You sure thats not a pet yote, he looks like hes sleeping?    Nice shooting on that paper for sure, Im going to have to look into the rem ar's now, you got me interested...  Is that your light above your scope? link to one of them?

Oh, it's sleeping all right......permenantly! Take one 55 gr. V-max and call me in the morning. It was a youngen' mousing out in the field in the middle of the afternoon. The light I got from Cabela's. I really like it because it's all self-contained, no big battery to lug around and no long power cord to get tangeled up in. It runs on 4 lithum A123 (or whatever the numbers are) and has a flip-up red lens, 3 Cree LED's will light up a yote at 150 yards even with the red lens on. It's a little big (there is a smaller size) but that doesn't bother me any,  I think it was $100 or $120. You mght also want to check out 'The Assassinator' light at www.hogheavenoutfiyyers.com

Here was my vantage point.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/Eric300_photos/House/coyote009.jpg[/quote]

Eric, now that is a good picture, I would love that for a back yard ....   thanks for the info on the light, im going to check that out...
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/linberkim/Coyote04232011026.jpg

is that a 1 shot kill or double tap etc??
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I use a bolt action 308 and a .223 16" AR, both silenced.  Consider a silencer - I called in 4 once and shot 1 and the other 3 just stood there confused.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#22]
practice your callin, stand set up's, scout them.

that'll be far more important than your weapon of choice. any AR with lower powered optics is a fine choice.

bastards around here are smart!
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/linberkim/Coyote04232011026.jpg

yes cobbled up shit works............. Colt barrel, Young carrier group, old Olympic lower and cheap, then railed handguard.

really who gives a shit..........as long as it works for you!

this is alway's the bottom line. More the person doin the hunt'n than the weapon

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#24]
This was my yote gun.  It was too heavy with the 24" heavy barrel though so I sold it and built up a carbine

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i-COjjT8GM8/T39L-Kow3HI/AAAAAAAABM4/oCVYB94_708/s645/sidepose.jpg
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]
This is my set up, I think it's perfect for the coyote hunting I do.

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#26]
as interesting as our rifles are........ more interesting is the ....COYWOLF........ wich as a few of you know is kinda a mixed breed.

some say red wolf, some timber wolf..........? interesting reading anyways if ya do google!

if they come main stream it'll be after my days in the field.............. though I should be able to look down and see a few of the PETA crowd get turned into ALPO...........
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#27]

I use my IPSC 3-gun rifle.

...and 55gr VMAX handloads.

the BURRIS 1-4x XTR / LARUE SPR-E combo is really nice.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top