Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/29/2012 10:11:29 AM EDT
I went to the range yesterday and had a weird issue arise, I pulled the trigger and 3 rounds were fired in rapid succession. I thought maybe it was my seating position and I possibly inadvertently bump fired. So after re situating my position I pulled the trigger again and the next 7 rounds (10rnd mag) were immediately fired automatically. I opened the receiver and inspected....I did not see anything out of the ordinary, no metal shavings, no broken springs or other parts, nothing appeared out of place. I added a lil oil and popped in another mag of 10rnds and gave it another go....all 10rnds were fired with one trigger pull. I plan on changing the trigger group before shooting again, but I am curious if anyone has any idea of what could have happened? Now...I did recently add KNS anti rotating pins (mod 2 gen 2) and this was the first outing since adding them. I did not have any issues installing and no parts were removed except the standard pins. Should I re install standard pins and retry, or just replace the trigger parts all together? By the way, the trigger I use is just a cheapo that came in my LPK from TDS Guns.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection under good lighting, I found a small amount of metal shavings. I think its time to loose the junk trigger and KNS....and step up to a timney (this is the perfect excuse to the other half as well...."honey dont you want me to be safe and legal"!)
Springs all appear to be perfectly in place. I have to assume part failure at this point. Especially seeing the metal shavings....I dont know enough about triggers to guess, so I will just replace!

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#1]
First, hide your dog.
Then I would make sure the springs are installed properly. Someone should be able to post a picture.
If so, check the disconnector make sure it moves freely.
Did it work right before you put KNS pins in it? if so, I'd put the standard pins back in and forget about the KNS.

You haven't polished anything have you?
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
My little doubling adventure was due to a broken hammer pin.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#3]
you might have your spring on backwards that happens sometimes
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First, hide your dog.
Then I would make sure the springs are installed properly. Someone should be able to post a picture.
Did it work right before you put KNS pins in it? if so, I'd put the standard pins back in and forget about the KNS.

Lol...left the dog at home this trip. The disconnector has some marks on it...I was just looking at it again, I'll post pics in a few minutes. Yes, it worked prior to installing the KNS on my last outing a couple weeks ago. And no I have not polished a single piece.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
you might have your spring on backwards that happens sometimes

Sounds a lot like this.

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Check to make sure the sear spring didn't fall out. (that is the tiny one that pushes up on the back of the sear.)

I had one fall out when I assembled it, it when full auto until I released the trigger it caught again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
First, hide your dog.

Lol...left the dog at home this trip. The disconnector has some marks on it...I was just looking at it again, I'll post pics in a few minutes. Yes, it worked prior to installing the KNS on my last outing a couple weeks ago. And no I have not polished a single piece.

My guess something with the disconnector. Maybe the disconnector spring is not in properly.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First, hide your dog.

My guess something with the disconnector. Maybe the disconnector spring is not in properly.

Most likely to be the cause.

The "hide your dog" comment is referring to the ATF kicking your door in to arrest you and confiscate your automatic weapon. Thats how they will see it anyway. There is a reason we call them "Jack booted thugs".
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Issues like your almost always point to a disconnector spring as a trouble shooting 1st step.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Upon closer inspection under good lighting, I found a small amount of metal shavings. I think its time to loose the junk trigger and KNS....and step up to a timney (this is the perfect excuse to the other half as well...."honey dont you want me to be safe and legal"!)
Springs all appear to be perfectly in place. I have to assume part failure at this point. Especially seeing the metal shavings....I dont know enough about triggers to guess, so I will just replace!

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont See metal shavings, anyway how did it feel? I never shot one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The shavings are minimal, but you can mostly see them in picture 3. Almost looks like dust but its metal.
You ask how it felt? Well....if I were expecting it I am sure it would of been fun, but since it was extremely fast and completely unexpected, it was a bit startling the first time. However, the second magazine was fun lol.

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Seems that something fouled the disconnector...
Shavings
KNS pin diameter...

Whenever you make changes to the FCG, do the trigger function test prior to firing the weapon.
Function Testing

Step up to a Geissele instead.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a well worn disconector but do the check hold in the trigger then pull bacl the carrier and let it go forward..release the trigger forward you should hear a click.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Looks like a well worn disconector but do the check hold in the trigger then pull bacl the carrier and let it go forward..release the trigger forward you should hear a click.

+1 on this approach

THEN remove the entire FCG from the rifle so you lessen the chances of an ATF follow-up on your machine gun.

The disconnect also seems to be canted to one side in your pictures which could cause it to fail.

FYI, the Feds do monitor this site and are not know for their sense of humor on full auto firing weapons

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First, hide your dog.

The "hide your dog" comment is referring to the ATF kicking your door in to arrest you and confiscate your automatic weapon. Thats how they will see it anyway. There is a reason we call them "Jack booted thugs".

Ok, you just made the list, pal.............
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Check to make sure the sear disconnector spring didn't fall out. (that is the tiny one that pushes up on the back of the sear disconnector.)

I had one fall out when I assembled it, it when full auto until I released the trigger it caught again.
fixed

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First, hide your dog.

Lol. I have been on the list for awhile now.

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Check to make sure the sear disconnector spring didn't fall out. (that is the tiny one that pushes up on the back of the sear disconnector.)

fixed

Nice! A sear spring is found in a full auto rifle….
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First, hide your dog.

Is this a special happy list???
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I am a little concerned with some of your posts though....are you saying, even though I am CLEARLY explaining that something in my rifle has failed causing this issue, that the feds will possibly read this and come look into my gun being fully automatic? I am thinking that seems a little far fetched and paranoid. Im not making posts about how cool my machine gun is!
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I am a little concerned with some of your posts though....are you saying, even though I am CLEARLY explaining that something in my rifle has failed causing this issue, that the feds will possibly read this and come look into my gun being fully automatic? I am thinking that seems a little far fetched and paranoid. Im not making posts about how cool my machine gun is!

Yes well technically your rifle is illegal. It is firing more then one shot with each pull of the trigger. However, I think you did the right thing about posting and asking the question. Something is wrong and it needs to be fixed ASAP! If you are set in your decision to just replace everything, just pull out everything in the fire control group now. You will have a non functioning rifle, and everything will be cool. Then when you new trigger comes put it in and you will be good to go!
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Im not making posts about how cool my machine gun is!

You did admit that is was fun.
The Prohibition Gangsters ruined it for everyone.

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wouldn't put it past 'em but I would fix that problem PDQ. The only reason they might look into it is because they might think you are happy with it the way it is. Like I said, I would fix that problem PDQ. Not being paranoid, just being cautious.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes well technically your rifle is illegal. It is firing more then one shot with each pull of the trigger. However, I think you did the right thing about posting and asking the question. Something is wrong and it needs to be fixed ASAP! If you are set in your decision to just replace everything, just pull out everything in the fire control group now. You will have a non functioning rifle, and everything will be cool. Then when you new trigger comes put it in and you will be good to go!

except, if you still have the parts you could still put them back in. Fed's say no-no to that (from what I have read, I'm far from an expert).
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

except, if you still have the parts you could still put them back in. Fed's say no-no to that (from what I have read, I'm far from an expert).

IDK that seems a little of a stretch to me its not like they are parts for a M-16 or anything designed to make and auto gun…. But if they are junk parts any way take a big hammer to them then trash them….
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IDK that seems a little of a stretch to me its not like they are parts for a M-16 or anything designed to make and auto gun…. But if they are junk parts any way take a big hammer to them then trash them….

It seems like a stretch that they would knock on his door in the first place but if they did they would be looking for parts as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems like a stretch that they would knock on his door in the first place but if they did they would be looking for parts as well.

It's not like it's an auto sear.....these are legal S/A parts.
No need to deploy the tin hats.

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#29]
There was a thing a few years ago about a guy that lent his friend his rifle that happened to fail and go full auto at the shooting range while some LE guy was around.  He got into all kinds of legal shit.  Don't know how it ended up, though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Even "legal S/A" parts can be modified. A legal S/A part does not fire full auto, once it does it now falls into the illegal category. In Colorado you can legally own a MG and pretty much anything else with proper paperwork. It is when you modify a S/A part to shoot full auto that it becomes illegal. That is what they are looking for. No, he did not modify the parts but that doesn't matter. No tin hat here but I have read numerous times about this type of thing happening. Not about the feds trolling forums but somebody getting caught with modified parts because they were stupid enough to take it out and shoot it and brag about it. I'm not saying the OP is going to do that. Just posting my opinion about a SERIOUS problem. Better safe than sorry.

Again, I am not saying that they would go after an individual posting about a problem but as I said I would get rid of the parts ASAP. Right now he is illegally in possession of a MG as the problem not only happened once it was repeatable and constant.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There was a thing a few years ago about a guy that lent his friend his rifle that happened to fail and go full auto at the shooting range while some LE guy was around.  He got into all kinds of legal shit.  Don't know how it ended up, though.

IIRC, the guy was well aware of the problem, and his gun contained some M16 parts. He had been advised by the manufacturer to send it back for repair, but continued to use the gun. The ATF was of course not amused, as the guy was fully aware of the problem, and didn't repair it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I believe the problem was that he installed some "parts" and told the friend not to turn the safety past "fire". The friend did while at a range and either there was a LEO next to him or the range officer called the cops. From what I can remember he is spending his time with Bubba now because he was caught with the offending parts. It wasn't the "friend" that got in trouble as they raided the owners house.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Woops, different case but similar. This is the one we are talking about:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_7_54/ai_n25469335/

[edit] and another write up:
http://oathkeepers.org/oath/2009/10/18/amicus-brief-for-the-olofson-firearms-case/

[edit, again] I guess those articles are the one I was talking about. Here is the complete article. It states, like I said, he did know.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/29561634.html
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Woops, different case but similar. This is the one we are talking about:

[edit] and another write up:
http://oathkeepers.org/oath/2009/10/18/amicus-brief-for-the-olofson-firearms-case/

that pisses me off and at the same time scares the hell out of me
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even "legal S/A" parts can be modified. A legal S/A part does not fire full auto, once it does it now falls into the illegal category. In Colorado you can legally own a MG and pretty much anything else with proper paperwork. It is when you modify a S/A part to shoot full auto that it becomes illegal. That is what they are looking for. No, he did not modify the parts but that doesn't matter. No tin hat here but I have read numerous times about this type of thing happening. Not about the feds trolling forums but somebody getting caught with modified parts because they were stupid enough to take it out and shoot it and brag about it. I'm not saying the OP is going to do that. Just posting my opinion about a SERIOUS problem. Better safe than sorry.

Again, I am not saying that they would go after an individual posting about a problem but as I said I would get rid of the parts ASAP. Right now he is illegally in possession of a MG as the problem not only happened once it was repeatable and constant.

Sheesh.

1. No one said anything about modifying parts except you.

2. The OP knows he has a safety issue.

3. I am sure that the OP will properly address the issue.

4. No tin hats.

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Direct-Drive, if you read any of my posts, I never said that the parts were modified by the OP. Not once. I said IF (a big IF) the OP was caught with the AR in its present condition it wouldn't matter why the parts were like that. The only way to get caught is taking it out and continue to use it. The only thing that matters to the fed's is that the parts are like that.
No tin hats here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I had this on a one of my builds but caught it with the trigger test.
It is a simple fix, just file the front underside of the sear so that it has
A better grip on the Hammer also check the spring to see if it is the
Correct length and not upside down.

PS: 10-4 on hide Dog
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#38]
did that guy ever get out of jail?
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
did that guy ever get out of jail?

Not really following it but he got 30 months back in 2008.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#40]
It is foolish to post this on the internet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Foolish would be to post "hey, check it, I got a full auto. This is how to do it". At least the OP knows he has a problem and wants to fix it
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Sounds like a good case to me. He deserved the 30 months, and should consider himself lucky.

Ever notice that people usually talk thenselves into trouble...

PS: The OP in this thread has noting to worry about. Doubling, trippling, etc occur and is not all that rare. Its when you go around bragging about your MG tht trouble finds you. You have a malfunction, you discover what it is, then you fix it. Simple no?
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

there is at least 1 case i read about where an individuals weapon misfired a 3 round burst and he was convicted and sentenced....

i would make a statement here about how the jokes on us....LOL and pull the FCG out and destroy and make disappear.....

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

he was found guilty....because there is no common sense clause or article concerning fucked up equipment as a defence......love what my country has become........

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#46]
If you look into these cases, its usually something more which leads to conviction. In the olafson case you find out that the person caught with the weapon was not prosecuted. Of course he turned states evidence, but overall you usually find some other info which leads to someone getting prosecuted,
i.e; bragging about state of said weapon, having documentation or computer trail showing interest in converting parts, and actual purchase of same...

My point here is not to get so paranoid that you see an ATF agent behind every tree, or in some dark room monitoring every web site. Be a responsiblr gun owner, and follow the law and you can enjoy yor second amendment rights.

BUT: Stay informed, and join the NRA and your local 2nd Amendment groups (in state).
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

fixed

Nice! A sear spring is found in a full auto rifle….

My bad! I couldn't remember what it was called for the life of me!
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#48]
The ATF read this thread, on the way to your house right now.

Get the Geissele. Stupid nice
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The shavings are minimal, but you can mostly see them in picture 3. Almost looks like dust but its metal.

You ask how it felt? Well....if I were expecting it I am sure it would of been fun, but since it was extremely fast and completely unexpected, it was a bit startling the first time. However, the second magazine was fun lol.

THIS is not something you should joke about anywhere, anytime.

The reason is because the BATFE is able to arrest and prosecute based on intent and that statement does not show a gun owner who had a single, SERIOUS malfunction and immediately disabled the weapon.

Paranoia?  Ask George Zimmerman about paranoia, ask other people who have made statements the FEDS took exception to and ended up being prosecuted about paranoia:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304177104577308082860703386.html

The statement about the Feds monitoring this site is based upon first hand anecdotal evidence. If you want to ignore it, feel free.

Back to the malfunctioning FCG,  I did not say it the first time - I will say it this time. Destroy it by cutting the trigger, disconnect and hammer parts into two pieces but keep the pieces as proof.

Paranoid? Maybe ... but it's the cheapest insurance you can arrange for this situation.

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you look into these cases, its usually something more which leads to conviction. In the olafson case you find out that the person caught with the weapon was not prosecuted. Of course he turned states evidence, but overall you usually find some other info which leads to someone getting prosecuted,
i.e; bragging about state of said weapon, having documentation or computer trail showing interest in converting parts, and actual purchase of same...

My point here is not to get so paranoid that you see an ATF agent behind every tree, or in some dark room monitoring every web site. Be a responsiblr gun owner, and follow the law and you can enjoy yor second amendment rights.

BUT: Stay informed, and join the NRA and your local 2nd Amendment groups (in state).

Where are you getting this stuff?

The rifle malfunctioned, he was charged. No mention of bragging or modifications done.

Edit; A little snip-it from said article.

So in the end, it didn't matter this was merely a case of a "hammer follow"It didn't matter the rifle in question had not been intentionally modified for select fire, or that it did not have an M 16 bolt carrier or sear, that it did not show any signs of machining or drilling, or that that model had even been recalled a few years back.

It didn't matter that, when asked if he'd test fired the gun, Savage testified "From my examination and from what I saw on the [ATF test] video I wouldn't want to attempt it ... the video shows the guy who was shooting it was so afraid to fire it from the shoulder he had to hold it out in front of him. So he knew it was dangerous."

It didn't matter the government had repeatedly failed to replicate automatic fire until they replaced the ammunition with a softer primer type. It didn't even matter that the prosecution admitted it was not important to prove the gun would do it again if the test were conducted today.

What mattered was the government's position that none of the above was relevant because "[T]here's no indication it makes any difference under the statute. If you pull the trigger once and it fires more than one round, no matter what the cause it's a machine gun."

No matter what the cause.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top