Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2013 6:15:22 AM EDT
I am definitely not a fan of vfg.  Well, on my bedside MSAR I love it...but on the AR I don't car for them.

For years my hand has naturally gone to the magwell for that stability.  

For those that have experience with them, please share it in regard to the magwell grip.  

I'm contemplating buying some for my AR's as I think it would give a much more solid and stable grip of the area.  

Which brands are best?

Of course if you do not care for them please share that as well as the reason.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#1]
All my AR's have them and I like the feel when shooting if I happen to grab them. On my 5.56 and 7.62 AR pistols I had to do alittle filing to get them to fit but on my DPMS carbine it went on without a hitch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#2]
You lose a lot of control over the weapon when gripping that close.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I have several of the CAA curved type and really like them. A buddy has the finger groove type but I prefer these. Not only do they work well for a great hand hold but carrying the rifle by your side. Works for me anyway, your mileage may vary.

" />
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lose control...how so?

Muscle-wise it seems a LOT easier for me to maneuver quickly and maintain aim without becoming fatigued when I'm holding the magwell vs. the forend.  

Kinda like holding a box out in front of you vs. holding it in close to the body.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The farther out on the fore end that you can hold, the more control you'll have over the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The farther out on the fore end that you can hold, the more control you'll have over the muzzle.

This. Moving my hand back from the handguard to the magwell recoil and muzzle flip seem to increase and follow up shots take longer.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
You don't look as tier 1 without the forward grip.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Isn't one of the obvious concerns that when things go BOOM in our guns, they tend to blow apart and out the magwell? That would be my main concern with firing my rifle with my hand on the magwell. Accidents happen, and I'd like to keep all my fingers if they do
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I have always used my VG kinda like the magpul AFG w/ my middle, ring, and pinkie finger on the VG... my index finger and thumb griping the bottom and side of the rail respectively.  Magwell grips are not the way to go... i am not a fan of fully extending the support arm but the more unsupported weight you have up front, the harder the rifle will be to control (you can over swing targets ect ect).  I like the VG bc if I am up against cover, I will jam the VG up against the cover and it helps me control the vertical sway of the weapon when shooting longer distances (this is just something i do so i don't know if it is technically "correct") so that is why i prefer the VG over the AFG.  

Also, how can you like using a VG on one rifle and not another?
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had 2 fairly minor "kabooms". The mags blew out in both but the lower didn't crack. I'm sure it may happen but I've never seen one myself.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Isn't one of the obvious concerns that when things go BOOM in our guns, they tend to blow apart and out the magwell? That would be my main concern with firing my rifle with my hand on the magwell. Accidents happen, and I'd like to keep all my fingers if they do

Out of the millions of rounds fired yearly, how often does that happen?
Might as well not play sports either, could twist an ankle or get tennis elbow.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of the millions of rounds fired yearly, how often does that happen?
Might as well not play sports either, could twist an ankle or get tennis elbow.

Don't over exaggerate what I said. No one said anything about not shooting, only that using your brain should be a part of it. I based that concern of of things I've seen on THIS site. There's a reason that safety is a part of firearms.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally I think they are ghey as fuck.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. A small motion at the mag well is exaggerated at the muzzle.

We teach the "C" clamp grip, not because it's cool but because it is a more stable platform. You create a triangle with you body and the gun, with your chest being the foundation utilizing bone support over muscle support. And you have more surface contact with the weapon. I personally run a 2point sling for a modified hasty, thus giving me even more stability and control.

It's science

Also yes you can CQB just fine if you need to with the above technique.

this is a way not the only way
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#15]
The mag well grip is definitely not the most ideal. I will say it is comfortable. However, it does lack controlling the rifle especially when trying to "drive" it from target to target. But, before we jump on him for using it, the mag well grip has its place. For instance, when I was in Iraq my M4 had an EOTech 553, a 3x magnifier, a PEQ-2A, a Surefire 900 series weapon light. All this stuff was mounted on a 7" rail. Kind of makes it hard for a C clamp hold. I found the mag well hold to be ideal until I got a VFG.

So, yes, moving the support hand closer to the muzzle is more ideal and allows for better control and the ability to "drive" your weapon, but how your rifle is set up will dictate how you can grip it. Now I set up my rifles so that I can get the grip I want and add my accessories around that. However, a 7" rail makes it difficult to get that support hand forward grip.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We teach the "C" clamp grip, not because it's cool but because it is a more stable platform. You create a triangle with you body and the gun, with your chest being the foundation utilizing bone support over muscle support. And you have more surface contact with the weapon. I personally run a 2point sling for a modified hasty, thus giving me even more stability and control.

It's science

This! You can shoot much more accurate and faster with a grip as described above!
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is a lower I machined because I do like the Magwell grip during certain situations.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow I like it
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 3:59:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I run the Fab Defense/Mako magwell grip on 3 of my ARs, the earlier version without the hole for the serial # had to be dremeled to fit my first RRA lower but the two later ones I picked up fit on all my lowers with no mods. I also have the CAA pictured above, if you have issues putting your hands on the magwell this is a pretty good alternative, but if you mount it flush with the magwell you can't pivot the upper on the front pin, you have to separate the upper & lower. Also, on my 7.62x39 AR the lower edge of the CAA grip is very close to the bottom of my 30 round mags due to the sharper bend, making for awkward mag changes. I've tried a VFG in mutiple positions and while it's a better way of controlling muzzle jump it feels awkward and wears my left arm out quickly. There's a lot of debate on the dangers of a kaboom, my opinion is that the mag is designed to vent excess pressure so the odds of a magwell rupturing are slim. The Fab defense/Mako grips do extend two inches below the magwell so mag pulls or ranger plates are helpful on 20 rounders and almost a must on 10 rounders.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 4:24:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here is a lower I machined because I do like the Magwell grip during certain situations.

<a href="http://s978.photobucket.com/user/jrwingate6/media/450746d0-d678-4397-bf4a-2d6bab6b04e0_zps7d631493.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/jrwingate6/450746d0-d678-4397-bf4a-2d6bab6b04e0_zps7d631493.jpg</a>

Don't see how that would help. Looks like a standard forged lower would be easier to hold.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 4:47:19 AM EDT
[#24]
IF you have to,

Never Quit ftw

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I just put a magpul grip as close to the magazine well as I can.  It's small, light, and is comfortable.  I still hold the magazine well but that's only when I'm just cradling the rifle, not shooting with it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's science

This! You can shoot much more accurate and faster with a grip as described above!

Watch the professionals (Travis Haley, Chris Costa, Daniel Horner, Taran Butler, etc).  They shoot with their arms extended toward the muzzle for reason.  It's all about leverage.  Hold a broom stick at one end with your hands close together, then hold it with your hands spread out.  It's obvious which way keeps the end more stable.  The magwell hold is a product of people seeing "operators" using subguns.  It can work great for a small platform shooting a pistol cartridge like an MP5, but not for a rifle/carbine.

One of my setups:  
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s978.photobucket.com/user/jrwingate6/media/450746d0-d678-4397-bf4a-2d6bab6b04e0_zps7d631493.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/jrwingate6/450746d0-d678-4397-bf4a-2d6bab6b04e0_zps7d631493.jpg</a>

Don't see how that would help. Looks like a standard forged lower would be easier to hold.

They're both about the same. Plus I was just getting bored with the classic design. I wanted a different looking lower that nobody else at the range would have.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, Ben Grimm is covered I see.

Ben Grimm?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+ infinite. If I need to hold the mag well, I'll hold onto the actual mag well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Somebody who gets it will be along shortly.  Don't want to spoil it yet.

You talking about The Thing?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somebody who gets it will be along shortly.  Don't want to spoil it yet.

You talking about The Thing?

Looks like it was made for his hands!

Oh...Two fingers in each groove. I rarely use them though. Only certain situations. I prefer extending my leading arm as far out as I can get it. The magwell on my lower was more or less just to get a different look.

Here's another one I just finished. They are machined using 7075 T7.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The c-clamp grip is sweet if your're going into a 45 second engagement that you already know is going to happen, but sucks for weapon retention or actually having to hold the rifle on target for several minutes. Right tool for the job and all that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I have several of the CAA curved type and really like them. A buddy has the finger groove type but I prefer these. Not only do they work well for a great hand hold but carrying the rifle by your side. Works for me anyway, your mileage may vary.

http://<a href=http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/rsanborn/pics082509018.jpg</a>" />

This looks good, but whenever I do a magwell grip I like the way the naked magwell/mag feels.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The c-clamp grip is sweet if your're going into a 45 second engagement that you already know is going to happen, but sucks for weapon retention or actually having to hold the rifle on target for several minutes. Right tool for the job and all that.

Sounds like a strength and conditioning issue to me.

OP check this out

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top