BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/2/2013 6:13:18 AM EDT
Talk me out of this one. Why?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/Rosy3392/993418_560478354001721_357913567_n.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/Rosy3392/spashpagereaper.jpg

AMPLIFYING DATA

Whole rifle Cerakoted in color of choice  
Lifetime warranty, no questions asked (but we would like to know how you broke it)
Crafted, designed and assembled by Special Operations Forces team members (guys who actually used these rifles in combat)
No shipping cost...  Just $1776 out the door to your nearest FFL

UPPER RECEIVER

Upper Receiver- 7075 T6 Arsenal Democracy custom, hand fitted to the barrel extension and trued receiver mating surface (blue-printed)
Barrel- 14.5" Shilen 416R Stainless Steel, 4 groove Ratchet Rifling, 1:8 twist, Hand lapped with a medium heavy contour, Mid-Length Gas
Flash Hider-  Templar Tactical suppressor mountable flash hider, tack welded to barrel
Charging Handle- AXTS Raptor ambidextrous charging handle
Rail- Arsenal Democracy custom design 13" design, 5 QD points, with 3 sides of Key mod attachment points, SLR Rifleworks manufactured
Gas Block- 16 setting adjustable made from 4140 steel, SLR Rifleworks custom
Bolt Carrier Group- Chrome lined carrier and key with microslick coating, this is a standard full-auto carrier that is 8610 steel with a cm-158 Bolt.

LOWER RECEIVER

Lower Receiver- 7075 T6 Arsenal Democracy custom, designed for seamless fitment with the upper
Trigger-  Geissele 2 stage
Safety Selector- Ambidextrous safety selector
Magazine Release- Norgon Ambidextrous mag release button
Buffer tube- PWS 416, Billet 7075 T6 buffer tube with 2 built in QD's
Buffer- Arsenal Democracy custom 117 gram tungsten powder buffer, microslicked  
Butt Stock- Mission First Tactical Mil Spec Minimalist stock, weighs in at 5.9 Oz's
Pistol Grip- Mission First Tactical EPGI16, 3 interchangeable front and rear straps for different hand types
Rear take-down pin and bolt catch utilizes set screw instead of roll pin for ease of disassembly
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:17:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Because you would be better off with this:

SR-15 Mod 1

Proven rifle from a proven, reputable company.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View Quote
way too expensive for all the "show"

there is nothing on the rifle that improves fuction over a plain AR to justify the cost

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SR-15 Mod 1

http://www.knightarmco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2012_MOD1_Right1.jpg

View Quote

Now we're talking!
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Looks like a nice rifle. Really dig the rail.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

there is nothing on the rifle that improves fuction over a plain AR to justify the cost

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, and for me the pinned flash hider is not an improvement, it's a negative.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Also, the rifle is ugly as hell. The billet looks like cheapo seekins.

Plus, yeah that lifetime warranty is great....if they are still in business. Buying for KAC, or even S&W, you KNOW they'l be in business 20 years down the road. Will this random small company be around?

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#8]
"Crafted, designed and assembled by Special Operations Forces team members (guys who actually used these rifles in combat) " Really???

"Upper Receiver- 7075 T6 Arsenal Democracy custom, hand fitted to the barrel extension and trued receiver mating surface (blue-printed)"

"Rear take-down pin and bolt catch utilizes set screw instead of roll pin for ease of disassembly"

"No shipping cost... Just $1776 out the door to your nearest FFL "

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Who owns the SR15 mod 1? Got any real pictures or video?
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#10]
What do you guys think of this Larue?

http://www.laruetactical.com/costa-556?sort=popular

A little off topic but is there a difference in color between the magpul and fab defense on the FDE color?
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the guy who the rifle was built for, former Ranger, doing some neat stuff these days.

That being said, I think its ugly as sin, has no functional benefit, and really don't understand the keymod/rail hybrid crap, since there literally is no benefit to keymod where it is.

For the money I'd be buying a KAC SR15 mod 1, and enjoying a functionally superior rifle that doesn't look like it belongs in the batman with arnold.

I do like the stock and grip a lot though, might have to get my hands on a few and try them out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a sr15 mod 1 upper. Shoots very well. Smooth. Accurate. Will test more tomorrow
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I bet it balances like a sledgehammer.

Pass.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

SR-15 Mod 1

View Quote

The ARFCOMMERS logic is sound.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
That poor pimped out Glock in the OP's pic...poor thing had the misfortune to be bought by an " operator".
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That poor pimped out Glock in the OP's pic...poor thing had the misfortune to be bought by an " operator".
View Quote

Pretty bad. Thank god it was only a glock and not a 1911
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

SR-15 Mod 1

View Quote

This. E3 is worth it IMO... I'm just too cheap
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SR-15 Mod 1

I bought mine barely used. Heavily discounted. I love the EE. I didn't need the lower. My colt lower works well enough.

I do plan to buy another sr15 e3 though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Crafted, designed and assembled by Special Operations Forces team members (guys who actually used these rifles in combat) " Really???

"Upper Receiver- 7075 T6 Arsenal Democracy custom, hand fitted to the barrel extension and trued receiver mating surface (blue-printed)"

"Rear take-down pin and bolt catch utilizes set screw instead of roll pin for ease of disassembly"

"No shipping cost... Just $1776 out the door to your nearest FFL " http://www.11points.com/images/animatedgifs/americanflag.gif

View Quote

for 1776 i could build a better rifle, that would look better and not be BS hype.  Would also have enough left over for some mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#20]

That rifle has some quality components to it. Sure it is a bit gaudy but it quality gaudy... kinda like a BMW with a hood scoop and a flame paint job.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Now we're talking!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SR-15 Mod 1

Now we're talking!

+1
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Who owns the SR15 mod 1? Got any real pictures or video?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Because Joe Biden says to get a shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/Rosy3392/993418_560478354001721_357913567_n.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/Rosy3392/spashpagereaper.jpg

AMPLIFYING DATA

Whole rifle Cerakoted in color of choice  
Lifetime warranty, no questions asked (but we would like to know how you broke it)
Crafted, designed and assembled by Special Operations Forces team members (guys who actually used these rifles in combat)
No shipping cost...  Just $1776 out the door to your nearest FFL

UPPER RECEIVER

Upper Receiver- 7075 T6 Arsenal Democracy custom, hand fitted to the barrel extension and trued receiver mating surface (blue-printed)
Barrel- 14.5" Shilen 416R Stainless Steel, 4 groove Ratchet Rifling, 1:8 twist, Hand lapped with a medium heavy contour, Mid-Length Gas
Flash Hider-  Templar Tactical suppressor mountable flash hider, tack welded to barrel
Charging Handle- AXTS Raptor ambidextrous charging handle
Rail- Arsenal Democracy custom design 13" design, 5 QD points, with 3 sides of Key mod attachment points, SLR Rifleworks manufactured
Gas Block- 16 setting adjustable made from 4140 steel, SLR Rifleworks custom
Bolt Carrier Group- Chrome lined carrier and key with microslick coating, this is a standard full-auto carrier that is 8610 steel with a cm-158 Bolt.

LOWER RECEIVER

Lower Receiver- 7075 T6 Arsenal Democracy custom, designed for seamless fitment with the upper
Trigger-  Geissele 2 stage
Safety Selector- Ambidextrous safety selector
Magazine Release- Norgon Ambidextrous mag release button
Buffer tube- PWS 416, Billet 7075 T6 buffer tube with 2 built in QD's
Buffer- Arsenal Democracy custom 117 gram tungsten powder buffer, microslicked  
Butt Stock- Mission First Tactical Mil Spec Minimalist stock, weighs in at 5.9 Oz's
Pistol Grip- Mission First Tactical EPGI16, 3 interchangeable front and rear straps for different hand types
Rear take-down pin and bolt catch utilizes set screw instead of roll pin for ease of disassembly
View Quote

The Lower receiver cut is over the top but the rest of the rifle seems pretty top notch. Seems like about 1k for the rail, barrel , the trigger , bolt. Custom billet upper and lower come in around 400. Toss in the rest and it doesn't seem that outlandish priced. The rail looks good to me, it would perform very similarly to the UR 3 from the looks of it. It even has an adjustable gas block. I  wouldn't mind having that upper on a lower of my choice.
·
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I would go with this hodge defense

Quoted:
Check our new home page addition

Hodge Defense AU-MOD1 Rifle - $2295

<a href="http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/HODAUMOD1.aspx" target="_blank">http://dsgarms.com/images/products/HODAUMOD1_2.jpg</a>

•Upper & Lower Receivers Mil-spec,forged 7075 type III hard coat   anodize
•Barrel 16", CHF, CL, Gov, MID, Micro Pinned GB, A2
•BCG M16, HPT, MPI, staked, 158 carpenter steel
•Fire Control Group ALG QMS
•Selector Reversible billet steel
•Handguard Geissele MK IV 13"
•Charging Handle BCM / Vltor
•Buffer H
•Receiver Extension 6 pos, Mil-spec, sling plate, Ambi HK
•Stock Magpul CTR, with enhanced butt pad
•Trigger Guard Magpul MOE
•Mag Catch Mil-Spec
•Bold Catch Full Serration
•Forward Assit Tear Drop

"If you get it, you get it." - Jim Hodge

DSG
View Quote

Hodge defense
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd look at Noveske, KAC, Daniel Defense or any of the "big" names. They aren't as whiz-bang, but they've carved their places out in the market for a reason.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:18:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SR-15 Mod 1

This

Yes, Yes, Yes.  1000X THIS.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:21:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd look at Noveske, KAC, Daniel Defense or any of the "big" names. They aren't as whiz-bang, but they've carved their places out in the market for a reason.
View Quote

Yes.

Plus ...

BCM
Spikes Tactical
PSA
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:52:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Sometimes it is not about the price points. Sometimes it is about who built the rifle, and what it represents. I did a custom build, and while I could have gone with aero precision for my upper and lower, I decided to go with something MUCH more expensive. Why you may ask? Because the parts are built completely differently. Aero is a mass producing company, and while they make a great product, I wanted something that just.. meant more. The upper and lower i bought were machined in house, by a small company. The owner still does all the work himself. I prefer this over mass produced components. This is why my rifle costs as much as it does even tho i could have essentially gotten the same-ish result with mass produced parts and spend probably about half of what I spent.

Sometimes its not all about the money dudes. Sometimes its about where the product comes from and WHY it is made.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:56:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sometimes it is not about the price points. Sometimes it is about who built the rifle, and what it represents. I did a custom build, and while I could have gone with aero precision for my upper and lower, I decided to go with something MUCH more expensive. Why you may ask? Because the parts are built completely differently. Aero is a mass producing company, and while they make a great product, I wanted something that just.. meant more. The upper and lower i bought were machined in house, by a small company. The owner still does all the work himself. I prefer this over mass produced components. This is why my rifle costs as much as it does even tho i could have essentially gotten the same-ish result with mass produced parts and spend probably about half of what I spent.

Sometimes its not all about the money dudes. Sometimes its about where the product comes from and WHY it is made.
View Quote

Are you the owner of that rifle? The reasons why you decided to go with this build over a 'mass produced' rifle was because it was unique? If you're talking aesthetics, I can't argue with that (personal preferences), but what tangible benefit is there over a high-volume, milspec manufacturer's rifle and components, and why should we be interested in this rifle?

To add, none of us here have been advocating OP getting a cheaper rifle. KAC is a quality manufacturer with great customer service, and their firearms hold their value. I'm not sure about the other custom rifles in this thread.

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:17:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Are you the owner of that rifle? The reasons why you decided to go with this build over a 'mass produced' rifle was because it was unique? If you're talking aesthetics, I can't argue with that (personal preferences), but what tangible benefit is there over a high-volume, milspec manufacturer's rifle and components, and why should we be interested in this rifle?

To add, none of us here have been advocating OP getting a cheaper rifle. KAC is a quality manufacturer with great customer service, and their firearms hold their value. I'm not sure about the other custom rifles in this thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I am not the owner of that rifle, I am just stating an opinion on why someone would spend money on something you could get for cheaper. And I am not saying anyone is advocating buying a "cheaper" rifle, however there have been a few things said about being able to build something for less money. It also has nothing to do with being "unique". Some people just like that hands on aspect of a small shop vs large mass produced components. If you actually read my post, I said nothing about KAC not being a quality firearms manufacture, or about any other for that matter. As stated before, I was just trying to get an opinion or view point on why someone would go with a rifle like this, and spend more money on it, instead of buying or building a rifle for half the price.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:23:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No I am not the owner of that rifle, I am just stating an opinion on why someone would spend money on something you could get for cheaper. And I am not saying anyone is advocating buying a "cheaper" rifle, however there have been a few things said about being able to build something for less money. It also has nothing to do with being "unique". Some people just like that hands on aspect of a small shop vs large mass produced components. If you actually read my post, I said nothing about KAC not being a quality firearms manufacture, or about any other for that matter. As stated before, I was just trying to get an opinion or view point on why someone would go with a rifle like this, and spend more money on it, instead of buying or building a rifle for half the price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see. It was a bit vague, but now I understand that you were explaining the merits behind your custom build.

It's really whatever floats your boat. I don't have time or money to waste on expensive rifles that add no particular improvements, except aesthetics. And I trust established brands and manufacturers over the smaller shops due to feedback. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:23:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No I am not the owner of that rifle, I am just stating an opinion on why someone would spend money on something you could get for cheaper. And I am not saying anyone is advocating buying a "cheaper" rifle, however there have been a few things said about being able to build something for less money. It also has nothing to do with being "unique". Some people just like that hands on aspect of a small shop vs large mass produced components. If you actually read my post, I said nothing about KAC not being a quality firearms manufacture, or about any other for that matter. As stated before, I was just trying to get an opinion or view point on why someone would go with a  rifle like this, and spend more money on it, instead of buying or building a better rifle for half the price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I am not the owner of that rifle, I am just stating an opinion on why someone would spend money on something you could get for cheaper. And I am not saying anyone is advocating buying a "cheaper" rifle, however there have been a few things said about being able to build something for less money. It also has nothing to do with being "unique". Some people just like that hands on aspect of a small shop vs large mass produced components. If you actually read my post, I said nothing about KAC not being a quality firearms manufacture, or about any other for that matter. As stated before, I was just trying to get an opinion or view point on why someone would go with a  rifle like this, and spend more money on it, instead of buying or building a better rifle for half the price.

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your opinion of better brother? I see nothing in the description that would lead me to think that they cut any corners in producing this rifle.

I would say that with ... 80% or so of the parts and component produced these days, with the advances in machining and CAD design, and the materials used, better is more a matter of perspective, desire, and preference than anything.

Not to get anything started, just an honest question and opinion.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because that is Nicholas Irving's Glock. He really is an operator. Has a pretty impressive record with the 75th where he earned the nick name Reaper because of all his confirmed kills in under a month. I have had the opportunity to hang out with him a few times and he is a pretty cool guy. Real genuine and humble.

I am not a fan of this rifle, but I realling am digging that lower. Wouldn't mind picking a few up for some custom builds.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

SR-15 Mod 1

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I already have a Daniel Defense DDM4V3 and an AK MAK 90, currently waiting for a Krebs Custom KV-13 but I was already thinking what to get for next year.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#38]
I guess I will be the one to say it, this would be a rifle I would consider buying.  Having built more than 30 ARs over the past 8 years I have never purchased a complete AR from a manufacturer.  This is actually an AR that has most of what I would actually put into a build of mine.  So flame me if you like but they aren't asking an astronomical amount for the rifle when you look at what they put in it.  I would estimate it would cost the average builder somewhere between $1350-1500 to build it themselves depending on the cost of the receivers so $1776 isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't think the price is bad unless you take into consideration how little we know about them. Looks alright.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:38:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I guess I will be the one to say it, this would be a rifle I would consider buying.  Having built more than 30 ARs over the past 8 years I have never purchased a complete AR from a manufacturer.  This is actually an AR that has most of what I would actually put into a build of mine.  So flame me if you like but they aren't asking an astronomical amount for the rifle when you look at what they put in it.  I would estimate it would cost the average builder somewhere between $1350-1500 to build it themselves depending on the cost of the receivers so $1776 isn't too bad.
View Quote

Plus lets face it. 1776 is the most awesome price tag you could ask for.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't have any issue with the rifle or its price.  There are other options for the same price point, but the consumer needs to do their homework, and decide what is the best riflw for them.  

Those handguards are pretty sweet.   SLR is making them according to the description.   I wonder if Arsenal Democracy is going to sell those separately?
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. The barrel alone is going to run over $450 & the rail runs around $200. Any Ambi Lower is going to run around 360. Judging by the quality of components in this rifle all the way down to the gasblock the price is reasonable. I priced out the build using a VLTOR upper and a Aero ambidextrous lower and totaled over 1600. If that weapon was assembled correctly it should be a smooth shooting tackdriver. The only things I would change on that rifle have nothing to do with performance.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Because Joe Biden says to get a shotgun.
View Quote

It's coming together. It will look like this without laser and the Eotech.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/Rosy3392/Blackwater590.jpg
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#44]

Conversation over
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#45]
It is a little rock star for me but I like the angles on the receivers a lot more than the curves on the Seekins. I wouldnt mind having one but Id replace the stock with a UBR and call it done.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:41:32 AM EDT
[#46]
I will probably end up getting one early next year. I will get it in Tungsten gray with black furniture.

I will post pics when i get it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It is a little rock star for me but I like the angles on the receivers a lot more than the curves on the Seekins. I wouldnt mind having one but Id replace the stock with a UBR and call it done.
View Quote

+1

That's what I will do when I get it UBR stock for sure
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm really digging that upper receiver. After a second look at this thread, that rifle does look pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/xMmU2A3.jpg
Conversation over
View Quote

I don't like the mismatch colors on the furniture. That's why I don't have any on FDE.

I like some Magpul stuff and  some Fab Defense but their colors seem a little off.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't like the mismatch colors on the furniture. That's why I don't have any on FDE.

I like some Magpul stuff and  some Fab Defense but their colors seem a little off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/xMmU2A3.jpg
Conversation over

Rattle can. Everything Matches
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top