User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 208
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:46:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 02Overlander] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
What are you gents finding to be the ideal barrel length for a mini-recce? I'm planning to build one around a chopped FF RAS, NT4 Corncob, and hopefully a 2.5-10x24mm NF NXS with a piggyback RMR.

Talk to me.
View Quote

11.5 - 12.5, compact w/ a can but still has some reach. 

Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 02Overlander:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f160/HDHNTER/IMG_20170205_160841_zpsef7l4bob.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
What are you gents finding to be the ideal barrel length for a mini-recce? I'm planning to build one around a chopped FF RAS, NT4 Corncob, and hopefully a 2.5-10x24mm NF NXS with a piggyback RMR.

Talk to me.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f160/HDHNTER/IMG_20170205_160841_zpsef7l4bob.jpg

Yeah I'm leaning towards 12.5" as of right now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

If you're not hung up on the NT4, the AEM2 rocks on a 12.5 & w/ the short barrel extension for the brake & collar... you end  w/ the velocity benefits of 13.5 in a MK18'ish OAL.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]

If you're not hung up on the NT4, the AEM2 rocks on a 12.5 & w/ the short barrel extension for the brake & collar... you end  w/ the velocity benefits of 13.5 in a MK18'ish OAL.
View All Quotes

I'm not hung on it. It's just, well, Corncob is life. I must have one. So yeah, I'm hung on it, lol. 
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Completely understand the need. 
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Talk to me.

I approach the mini recce ideology like a seesaw; you can emphasize the mini or you can emphasize the recce. Some builds hit that sweet spot and you get perfect balance between both. I obviously emphasized the mini more and went with a 10.5 barrel and a 1.5-5x Leupold. With the 2.5-10x, you're giving yourself a swath of range options. I think putting the NXS on a 12.5 would put you close to that perfect place. Short enough for cqb, but can still contend at ranges that require 10 power magnification. Just this stupid civy's opinion
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:14:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#7]

View Quote

It is quickly becoming my favorite barrel length for use with the AEM5.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm digging the new setup, and welcome back haven't seen you post here in awhile.

Is that a CQBL/M952 setup? Just looks weird from that angle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hunterex:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59096/miniholland2-141036.JPG
View Quote

My 10.5" 300BLK w/ the .30 12th totals out close to the same OAL, well balanced.

Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#10]
It is, perhaps a mini scout in the future, but for now I like the one I acquired and rocked my whole mil career.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:00:20 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Nice.  I knew you would come around
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Talk to me.
View Quote

I am digging the 12.5 right now.  I had it out yesterday in the snow, and we were popping Tannerite at 250 as we could range it with all the snow falling.  I love that thing.  I need more scope, the Razor 1-6 is all I thought I would need with the 12.5, but I want to go far, now.  The AAC Mini is perfect on that length.  My 11.5s are cool, but I shoot the 12.5 more than anything, now.  The 13.7 Infidel barrel is collecting lint in the safe.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:41:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By OneRanger:
It is, perhaps a mini scout in the future, but for now I like the one I acquired and rocked my whole mil career.
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-0/p526x296/16487563_10208619321100701_2827128113301325327_o.jpg?oh=8ac5d83027951645bad339ae51acdcfb&oe=59445A32
View Quote

Well I guess we can start he 13.7" CQBL mafia, of 2 people
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Alaska511:

I am digging the 12.5 right now.  I had it out yesterday in the snow, and we were popping Tannerite at 250 as we could range it with all the snow falling.  I love that thing.  I need more scope, the Razor 1-6 is all I thought I would need with the 12.5, but I want to go far, now.  The AAC Mini is perfect on that length.  My 11.5s are cool, but I shoot the 12.5 more than anything, now.  The 13.7 Infidel barrel is collecting lint in the safe.
View All Quotes

Talk to me.

I'll be honest, a carbine-length rail and front sight post just don't give you enough room to comfortably hold the damn thing; think Mk18 Mod0 shorty...

Anyways, slightly longer rail, mid-length gas, and a bombproof suppressor seems like the way to go, and it's just the cost of building another upper, which ain't shit. I've already got a spare BCG and Gasbuster laying around. It's really a matter of finding a FF RAS for a fair price and bending over to get the NT4. I plan to share the optic with my SR25 recce build, so why not?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:51:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#15]

I'll be honest, a carbine-length rail and front sight post just don't give you enough room to comfortably hold the damn thing; think Mk18 Mod0 shorty...

Anyways, slightly longer rail, mid-length gas, and a bombproof suppressor seems like the way to go, and it's just the cost of building another upper, which ain't shit. I've already got a spare BCG and Gasbuster laying around. It's really a matter of finding a FF RAS for a fair price and bending over to get the NT4. I plan to share the optic with my SR25 recce build, so why not?
View Quote

If you can wait a couple months, it seems they usually release a run in the spring/early summer time frame.  Should be able to grab one at OP.  I'm holding off on several purchases to pick up a pair.  One for a mod juan, one for a seal recce.  Not going fast on either build, mind you.  But I was sad when I had to sell my HCS mod 1 upper so I want to build a new one.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

If you can wait a couple months, it seems they usually release a run in the spring/early summer time frame.  Should be able to grab one at OP.  I'm holding off on several purchases to pick up a pair.  One for a mod juan, one for a seal recce.  Not going fast on either build, mind you.  But I was sad when I had to sell my HCS mod 1 upper so I want to build a new one.  
View All Quotes

Yeah I'm in no rush.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]

My 10.5" 300BLK w/ the .30 12th totals out close to the same OAL, well balanced.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f160/HDHNTER/IMG_20170130_132103_zpsyzf0zach.jpg
View Quote

Your rifle went a long way towards making me want to try out the suppressor under the Gen III myself.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:26:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaska511] [#18]

View All Quotes

Talk to me.

True.  My 12.5 has a 11" NSR, and I have a 13" MK6 on my 13.7
I am totally building a 12.5" midlength, next.  I know it can be done

In other news, one of my WAY overpriced KAC front sights broke on my 12.5.  We put 500 rounds through it, and the damned front sight fell in the snow.  The clamp split in half
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#19]
12.5" / AEM2 / URXII / Fostech Echo FCG

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f160/HDHNTER/IMG_20161227_152011441-01_zpsfpwndq4l.jpeg
View Quote

what barrel and gas system you running?

waiting on my stamp for my 12.5" made from an omt mrp 14.5 carbine. plan to run with my aac spr/m4 miter.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sevin8nin:

what barrel and gas system you running?

waiting on my stamp for my 12.5" made from an omt mrp 14.5 carbine. plan to run with my aac spr/m4 miter.
View Quote

Ballistic Advantage / Carbine
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Haven't checked in on this thread in a while, still as sexy as ever. I've got an AEM5 in jail and a spare SBR lower that needs a home. I'm thinking a 12.5 with a 1-4x may be just the ticket.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Your rifle went a long way towards making me want to try out the suppressor under the Gen III myself.
View Quote

Well you returned the favor, now I'm thinking about a 12.5" 5.56 upper paired w/ a Gen III for my .22 12th. 
The AEM2 does a good job of reducing the bark... but it aint no 12th. 
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Outrider:
Haven't checked in on this thread in a while, still as sexy as ever. I've got an AEM5 in jail and a spare SBR lower that needs a home. I'm thinking a 12.5 with a 1-4x may be just the ticket.
View Quote

The AEM5 is definitely not an ideal can on a short gun but it sounds good and it gets the job done if it's your only can. I'm currently in this same boat. Need to get a carbine can ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#24]

The AEM5 is definitely not an ideal can on a short gun but it sounds good and it gets the job done if it's your only can. I'm currently in this same boat. Need to get a carbine can ASAP.
View Quote

Valid point. Isn't a 12.5 the shortest you can go with the AEM5? Thought it would be neat to take advantage of that setup. I've also got a Gemtech Trek that would keep things on the smaller/lighter side.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I'd say "build a Ti form 1 can with SDTA parts" but the fuckers at ATF shut them down.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#27]

I'd say "build a Ti form 1 can with SDTA parts" but the fuckers at ATF shut them down.  
View Quote

Corncob is my main effort at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Man I should not have clicked on this thread.
Now I wanna build myself a 12.5 upper to pair with my omega can, that I should have any day now.
Thanks to Overlander and Tanner B. This is gonna be the new project that takes over my funds.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

Question: M4-2000 or Saker K ASR?
I already have a SDN-6 and mounts and I hear the M42k sounds really nice, but for $20 more over the M42K I could get a Saker K and maintain a shorter/lighter system. Decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TheManimal:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/351914/NoveskeMR-142624.JPG

Question: M4-2000 or Saker K ASR?
I already have a SDN-6 and mounts and I hear the M42k sounds really nice, but for $20 more over the M42K I could get a Saker K and maintain a shorter/lighter system. Decisions, decisions...
View Quote

I find weight trumps nearly everything especially when hanging off the end of the barrel.  I have a YHM stainless can originally bought for a piggly bolt rig, but has been pulling duty on a semi .308 and my .300blk along with a few other ARs.  the blackout is likely to get a 9mm can down the road (so i can suppress the G19 as well) and i'm considering a Ti Phantom for the 5.56 guns to reduce weight that far forward, just to not throw the balance off as far as the stainless version does now.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I like it, esp the +$100 FDE. Finally zero'ed mine today, unfortunately at an indoor range @100'. Have you seen how visible the beam is outside at distance?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Question. Do you plan on trimming the FF ras at all for the 12.5 barrel? Since the RAS is a 12" rail system?
I have one sitting currently and have toyed with the idea of having a barrel chopped to 12.7 for it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:42:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#33]
Originally Posted By Chincy:

Question. Do you plan on trimming the FF ras at all for the 12.5 barrel? Since the RAS is a 12" rail system?
I have one sitting currently and have toyed with the idea of having a barrel chopped to 12.7 for it.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm planning to trim the first one or two notches off the front, depending on the math.

ETA: Or not, I dunno; maybe it'd be better to not trim the rail and cut the barrel to fit the handguard.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:10:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#34]
Anyone using a FF RAS medium and OPS/AEM can? I want to build a mini recce with my RAS medium and an AEM5 and need to know what barrel length to use so the collar is right up against the rail
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:
Anyone using a FF RAS medium and OPS/AEM can? I want to build a mini recce with my RAS medium and an AEM5 and need to know what barrel length to use so the collar is right up against the rail
View Quote

Judging by @usnguns information from the recce thread is looks like he's using a 15" barrel with the rifle length FF RAS. Medium RAS seems to be 10" in length (9.4" in rail length) per Quarterbore. Looks like you could get away with a 13" or so barrel. I imagine a midlength in this range could be a real sweet shooter when suppressed.

Must. resist. the. temptation....
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:24:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#36]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Judging by @usnguns information from the recce thread is looks like he's using a 15" barrel with the rifle length FF RAS. Medium RAS seems to be 10" in length (9.4" in rail length) per Quarterbore. Looks like you could get away with a 13" or so barrel. I imagine a midlength in this range could be a real sweet shooter when suppressed.

Must. resist. the. temptation....
View Quote

Yeah I saw his measurements too and it would be about 13". I could buy the rainer arms rock creek 13.7" and have it cut down....

ETA: damn, the 13.7" rock creek rainer mid-lengths are OOS and it seems they were a limited run item
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Yeah, I'm planning to trim the first one or two notches off the front, depending on the math.

ETA: Or not, I dunno; maybe it'd be better to not trim the rail and cut the barrel to fit the handguard.
View Quote

See this was my thinking too. Rather chop a 160$ BA barrel to fit the Rail, then trim the 350$ rail that is only made a few times a year.

I need to finish the Holland idea before I even start this project.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Going to build a dedicated 12.5 soon with an ALG rail. Just playing with my 10.5 SBR right now

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By NEASGNoMercy:
Going to build a dedicated 12.5 soon with an ALG rail. Just playing with my 10.5 SBR right now

http://i63.tinypic.com/2n8yf43.jpg
View Quote

Shit son, that's hot in a non-clone sorta way. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

What barrel did you use? Was it already contoured?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By WillysJeep:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WillysJeep:

Ballistic Advantage government profile with a M4 to AEM5 adapter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By OneRanger:
I like it, esp the +$100 FDE. Finally zero'ed mine today, unfortunately at an indoor range @100'. Have you seen how visible the beam is outside at distance?
View Quote

I picked it up used on a screaming deal, so I let someone else pay the extra $100 for the color I've only been able to zero indoors as well. Everytime I plan to get to my outdoor range something comes up
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#43]
My mini-Recce!

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Only minie Recce I have at the moment unless an acog with an rmr counts.
    Its a 11.5 BCM
      G3gun trigger at the present time.
        Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:22:09 PM EDT
        [#45]
        I think it needs some paint. One of these days I'll get around to it..

Attachment Attached File
        Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:56:38 PM EDT
        [Last Edit: edwin907] [#46]

SpecWar 2 Suppressor not mounted (.05mm clearance from LT rail), and it usually wears a TA31.
        Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:31:33 PM EDT
        [#47]
        Don't see much of those.  Nice.
        Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:32:34 PM EDT
        [#48]
        Originally Posted By edwin907:
        http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/sniper907/Afgan.jpg~original

SpecWar 2 Suppressor not mounted (.05mm clearance from LT rail), and it usually wears a TA31.
        View Quote

Always liked your builds.
        Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:10:25 PM EDT
        [#49]
        So, can a mini-recce wear an ACOG?

Attachment Attached File
        Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:49:14 PM EDT
        [#50]
        Last parts for the mini are inbound. Torn between SLR Synergy mini comp and a Battlecomp 1.0  
        Any input?

mock up pic
        LaRue 12in stealth barrel, CMT upper, SLR ion lite rail. Until the stamp on the CMT matching lower clears, it will sit in my 2A balios lower
        glass is a new burris xtr ii 1-8 (yes my ADM mount is pink, go #teamemily )

Page / 208
        Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
        AR Sponsor: bravocompany
        Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
        Top Top