Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2015 9:09:00 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I was wondering if it was possible to switch the safety on a Colt 6920 to accommodate a left-handed shooter?  I've Googled this a few times, but I have not found a definite answer.

Thank you for any feedback or help you can provide me.

Hound
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If your safety looks like this:

Then yes.  If the right side (pictured it would be left) is smooth (no channel) then no.  Buy yourself a Ambi safety and go with that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a Left Hander.

I went with the Noveske/ Magpul's STS drop in 60 degree selector and have never looked back.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I watched a YouTube video of a guy removing the selector but not changing it to left-handed.  In the comments the question regarding moving it to the left side was posted and someone said that the newer Colts have this ability.  I purchased mine in January so I figure it may be able to do it.  I'll take it apart and see in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
So I took out the screw holding on the grip, along with the spring and pin  However although the sector would spin around, it would not come out of the lower.  Am I missing something?  It would pull a little bit but not actually come out of the unit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I took out the screw holding on the grip, along with the spring and pin  However although the sector would spin around, it would not come out of the lower.  Am I missing something?  It would pull a little bit but not actually come out of the unit.
View Quote

It may be hanging up on the trigger, I had to lightly tap mine in and out. (I have a 'bought in December of '14 6920 and reversed the safety)
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Jiggle it... Just a little bit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Push the hammer all the way down and hold it there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, I'll give it another shot tonight.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy an ambi. I like to use my thumb to take the safety off, then my trigger finger to put it back on.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy an ambi. I like to use my thumb to take the safety off, then my trigger finger to put it back on.
View Quote

This. Ambi on every rifle for this reason. Very easy to engage the safety as soon as I lower the rifle and take it off as I raise it. I found myself liking this is and doing it so often that I actually wore out the spring for the safety and replaced it yesterday with a CS one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Those reversible safeties are just the tits.

I put them in all my guns. Didn't know Colt was doing this.

Do they sell just the safety?

I get mine from - shit, cannot remember now, but their part # is 72a, and is not on their parts list or web site, you gotta call and order it.

Company is out west some place, was one of the first to offer a AR- pistol, carbon-fibre wrapped barrels, and a plastic AR15,

they had some quality control issues at one point, and got a bad rep, but i only had very good dealings with them.

They even offered a piston upper before they became common-place.

Just cannot remember their name. Getting old sucks.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

ETA- Found it - Olympic Arms.

I even did a thread about it - now in the archives

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#12]
This is were I have found them.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/safety-parts/safeties/fire-control-selector-prod4902.aspx
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top