Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 19 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By P400:

How long did it take from the time you sent it out to them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By P400:
Originally Posted By Castillo:
Got my lower back from Ares with the upgraded trigger.

Huge difference! Same short take up, but way lighter. Very nice!

How long did it take from the time you sent it out to them?

Took a little while, maybe 3 weeks or more. I don't remember exactly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I got 2 ASA uppers delivered the other day. One regular and one for .458 Socom. The 458 version (I know its just the ejection port enlarged) fits great on my SCR lower, but the other one has quite a bit of sloppy wobble. I sent ASA an email this AM - I haven't built many rifles but that was definitely the sloppiest match I've seen. Weird that one fits great, though. How common is that with rando upper and lower matches?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Andromax:
I got 2 ASA uppers delivered the other day. One regular and one for .458 Socom. The 458 version (I know its just the ejection port enlarged) fits great on my SCR lower, but the other one has quite a bit of sloppy wobble. I sent ASA an email this AM - I haven't built many rifles but that was definitely the sloppiest match I've seen. Weird that one fits great, though. How common is that with rando upper and lower matches?
View Quote

Common.
Being sloppy beats not going together, so most manufacturers err on the "will fit anything" side of tolerances.
You can take the slop out with an O-ring on the front lug or an expanding takedown pin like the one from Demon Tactical.
Ultimately if you're not happy with the ASA I would send it in for a swap, they're not some cheap-o forged upper.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Andromax:
View Quote

Mine is the opposite. Damn near take a mallet to get the pins in/out, lol
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
OK... I kinda want one of these for a hunting rifle...

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I managed to find complete rifles at Gander Mountain for 750. I think they still have some in stock.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Are there any pictures of 5 shot groups with these? I'm really interested in what they are capable of.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By arzombie:
Are there any pictures of 5 shot groups with these? I'm really interested in what they are capable of.
View Quote

Well the lower has almost zero to do with group sizes other than the shooter's familiarity with the trigger....
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:10:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: arzombie] [#9]
some of you guys just live for semantics don't you? let me edit my previous question:

Does anyone have any pictures of any 5 shot groups shot using the ARES SCR lower? I'm interested in the potential familiarity someone can have with the trigger and it's effects on shooting groups as it pertains to having a precision based upper and match ammunition.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:18:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#10]
some of you guys just live for semantics don't you? let me edit my previous question:

Does anyone have any pictures of any 5 shot groups shot using the ARES SCR lower? I'm interested in the potential familiarity someone can have with the trigger and it's effects on shooting groups as it pertains to having a precision based upper and match ammunition.
View Quote

No semantics about it, the lower half of an AR has almost nothing to do with accuracy, that depends mostly on the barrel itself....
The factory complete SCR seems to be a sub 1.5MOA gun with good ammo from all the reviews I've seen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#11]
So what you're saying is you don't have any pictures of 5 shot groups shot using an ARES SCR lower.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:35:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#12]
So what you're saying is you don't have any pictures of 5 shot groups shot using an ARES SCR lower.
View Quote

Here you go, since your googler's broken...
http://huntinnshootin.blogspot.com/2015/01/50-state-legal-ar-15.html

Factory SCR

May be completely different based on which of the million variants of uppers you happen to put on the SCR lower...
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice, thanks. I like how you pointed out the point was familiarity with the trigger and then posted a link to an article (well over a year old) with the original Gen. 1, 10 pound trigger.

So what you're saying is....
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:58:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#14]
Nice, thanks. I like how you pointed out the point was familiarity with the trigger and then posted a link to an article (well over a year old) with the original Gen. 1, 10 pound trigger.

So what you're saying is....
View Quote

That the lower has almost nothing to do with accuracy if the shooter isn't a complete noob...
Match triggers are nice, but crappy triggers can be overcome with experience.  Look at Marine marksmanship qualifications...
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#15]
NO! My kryptonite, being called a noob! What ever shall I do?

So no pictures then?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#16]

So no pictures then?
View Quote

I don't have any pictures either.  I would guess that an SCR lower with the Gen II trigger (closer to 5 lbs than 10 lbs), a JP yellow hammer spring installed and a precision upper would be capable of shooting better than most of us.  In other words, it would probably shoot about the same as the same precision upper on an AR lower with a decent "Mil-Spec" trigger, but a little bit worse than one with a $200+ precision trigger.  Even on the AR, the barrel, ammo and shooter have more to do with the performance.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:34:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#17]

So no pictures then?
View Quote

I didn't call you a noob, I said if you aren't a noob, it won't really matter what lower your upper is on.
Why is that so hard for you to grasp?  The barrel and ammo is where 95% of your accuracy comes from.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:07:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#18]
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:07:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HLS30] [#19]
New RDS came in, almost finished. Just need to stop being lazy and buy a troy ambi mag release.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:59:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCRowner] [#20]

After owning one of the first Ares SCRs for ac couple of years and sending about 5k rounds down range I decided to buy a second lower, and build one myself with what I had learned from experience on ergonometric. the bottom rifle on the pics is  my older SCR and the upper pic is the newer one. .

Bottom: Ares built Sporter 7/2014. All no magnification optics

Additions: Ares Bolt hold open ; Noveske QD flush sling mount;  ALG 13” V2 ERG Handguard ($155 /$120 discounted); Troy left hand Mag release (inverted by driving out pin);  Magpul AR15/M16 MBUS PRO BUS SET ($160/$125 discounted); Burris Fastfire 3 (came with my MTAC)

Notes: Magpul are not set as co-witness.  Instead, when raised, their sight picture is above and unobstructed by fastfire3, and don’t obstruct FF3 when down. They are very low folded. Fastfire3 is perfect height for shouldering and excellent cheek weld with sporter stock. Magpuls maybe 3/8” above optimum but still very good, they are BUIS after all.

This rifle is very light and well balanced. For me I can maintain firing hand grip in proper position when manipulating controls.

(continued next post for full build from MC upper)

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:09:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCRowner] [#21]
(continued)
Top: Ares Monte Carlo 7/2016 lower.  Self-built. 1x-4x MTAC

• Gen 2 (anti rotation) MAS ”Matrix Arms” 7075-T6 alloy, 5.56 side charging upper ($200).

16" 5.56 Ballistic Advantage Hanson Midlength Barrel w/ Lo Pro, Performance Series (.625" Gas Block Journal) + Melonite Gas Tube($245 list/$215 discounted)

ALG 12” EGR V2 Handguard Black ($150/$120 discounted).

Burris MTAC 1x4 , battery and etched reticle

Seekins precision 30mm rings “medium high” .92 ($100).  .92 works perfect me. Excellent shouldering and cheek weld. If you wanted to try and get lower you could go with the “medium low “.87, but you might need to dremmel down a concave section on second picatiny rail in one place. I might have done this if it had been non MC stock

RTB M16/AR15 Bolt - 9310 MPI (5.56) - Completion Kit - Nickel Boron bolt

Noveske QD flush sling mount;  Troy left hand Mag release inverted);

Notes:
    ALG handguards. Everyone who has tried my rifles loves the very low circumference ALG handguards, you can wrap your whole hand around it for very good control and follow on.  This grip is very nice on rifles where one does not have any vertical grips. ALG required 5 seconds to dremmly a tiny portion of one anti rotation tab to fit Matrix upper, none on Ares upper.
    The Matrix is working great, it avoids that cramped “pit” one would have between a scope and raised MC stock hampering access and use of rear charger
    Both rifles are very light and as importantly – balance well – with right hand not having to move from firing position. This balance is also something that really works well with rifles that have no lower grip like SCR. The lighter barrels and light handguards like ALG contribute to this good balance.
    I tried several left hand releases, about half a dozen. I preferred inverting the troy after trying almost everything else.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone know of anyplace that has the CZ sights in stock? I can't find them anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I finally installed a Noveske Flush QD Sling Mount

Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

It was very straightforward and it works great!

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By coldblue:
My latest 20" SCR with camo furniture...
<a href="http://s258.photobucket.com/user/ColdBlue_2008/media/camo%20best.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh249/ColdBlue_2008/camo%20best.jpg</a>
View Quote

What barrel is that?  It appears that they did a straight flute on the front two inches, in contrast to the dimple fluting on the rest of the barrel, giving it a (faux) muzzle brake look.

Nice job fitting the wood to the forearm.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:

What barrel is that?  It appears that they did a straight flute on the front two inches, in contrast to the dimple fluting on the rest of the barrel, giving it a (faux) muzzle brake look.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarpNY:
Originally Posted By coldblue:  My latest 20" SCR with camo furniture...
<a href="http://s258.photobucket.com/user/ColdBlue_2008/media/camo%20best.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh249/ColdBlue_2008/camo%20best.jpg</a>

Yes, those wooden rail covers give me ideas.  Plastic ideas...  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#28]
The barrel was custom machined by Marvin Pitts of Nefarious Arms. It started life as a Krieger 1:7 heavy match barrel.
View Quote

Fantastic job by Marvin.  Having seen what that Krieger barrel goes for without the mods, fair to say that it was a pretty hefty investment?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:48:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#29]
I'm going to finally order one of these in a few weeks. Which version though? Monte Carlo, standard or sport short?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#30]
IMO the Monte Carlo stock is the best suited for optics use if you like a low cheek weld.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By gadgetguy1288:
IMO the Monte Carlo stock is the best suited for optics use if you like a low cheek weld.
View Quote

Thanks, I was going to order that one originally but wanted to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#32]
My latest 20" SCR with camo furniture...
View Quote

What stock set is that? and do you happen to know how it compares to the Ares Monta Carlo stock?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#33]
They seem sold out everywhere, want to get my hands on another.  You guys have any leads?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Try searching under FightLite, Ares changed their name a few months back. Might have to just start checking Gunbroker, haven't heard of any more being produced since they did the name change
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By TheTallest:

I'm going to finally order one of these in a few weeks. Which version though? Monte Carlo, standard or sport short?
View Quote

If you like I have my sporter and monte carlo side by side pictured  here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/672281_ARES_SCR_Pics.html&page=37#i7302567

I bought the sporter built from Ares over two years ago. Red dot as you can see should be very low. I much prefer the monte carlo, especially with any scope. I bought a MC lower and built it late this summer with a side charging upper. Both have ALG rails v2 rails, which I love and which give you a lot of benefit especially on a SCR where keeping weight low and balance far back is very helpful due to lack of grip below action.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By gadgetguy1288:

View Quote

Excellent advice. My sporter and MC are here:

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SCRowner:

I bought the sporter built from Ares over two years ago. Red dot as you can see should be very low. I much prefer the monte carlo, especially with any scope. I bought a MC lower and built it late this summer with a side charging upper. Both have ALG rails v2 rails, which I love and which give you a lot of benefit especially on a SCR where keeping weight low and balance far back is very helpful due to lack of grip below action.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SCRowner:

Thanks. So, the Monte Carlo stock is better suited for scopes and the Sporter is better for red dots? None of my current ARs have scopes so this might be a good candidate for one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Thanks. So, the Monte Carlo stock is better suited for scopes and the Sporter is better for red dots? None of my current ARs have scopes so this might be a good candidate for one.
View Quote

I would get the MC regardless. It gives you more options and a nicer shouldering in my opinion even for red dot.

If you do go with 100% battery dependent like red dot, I found what I did, which is skip cowitness and put sight pic of iron sights above red dot with magpul pro, like my fastifre set up is nice in which case you are going to want a rail. or you can go cowitness with troy micro but I found troy micro not that hardy. I als found the ALG 2 which just has that section out front the lightest and most well balanced.

I can't emphasize enough trying to keep balance back if you want to do mag changes or operate charger while keeping your right hand on in firing positon grip. same goes for light barrel on this IMHO

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#39]

I also suggest considering buying lower alone if you can. it will come with all the non AR parts yo uneed, stock, lower and ares bolt carrier. This way you can do side charger which is also very good given where your firing hand is, and especially compelling if you have a scope which is going to go back and over the rear charger making operation a bit crowded. On the other hand it is not impossible to use rear charger if you have a scope, and you may wish to keep the operation as similar to your AR's as possible.

Another adjustment you may wish to make is left hand mag release. even if you are right handed As you can see I went with a troy inverted. Here are some pics of the half dozen or so mag releases: http://nyfirearms.com/forums/rifles/111994-ares-scr-mag-release-options-experiences.html

Observations on various side chargers on Ares:

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/rifles/110718-ares-scr-side-charging-upper.html

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:01:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#41]
Originally Posted By plinker8:
They seem sold out everywhere, want to get my hands on another.  You guys have any leads?
View Quote

I thought I had seen them on Midwest but when I checked last night they were sold out. So I guess I won't be ordering one soon because everywhere I looked last night they were sold out. They've been sold out for a long time too.

EDIT

If you look on Fightlight's website they don't even list the SCR anymore. I'm guessing that's it, there won't be any more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#43]

I thought I had seen them on Midwest but when I checked last night they were sold out. So I guess I won't be ordering one soon because everywhere I looked last night they were sold out. They've been sold out for a long time too.

EDIT

If you look on Fightlight's website they don't even list the SCR anymore. I'm guessing that's it, there won't be any more.
View All Quotes

EDIT

If thats true it fucking blows.  It was the perfect rifle for us behind enemy lines.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:50:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#44]

If thats true it fucking blows.  It was the perfect rifle for us behind enemy lines.
View All Quotes

EDIT

Yup. I should've bought one a year or so ago when I said I was going to. Figures now that I'm ready they aren't available anymore.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Well hopefully someone in the industry will pop in saying that's not true.  Otherwise this thread just got depressing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#46]
They have said several times that they are going to produce them, but they haven't added them to their new website yet.

Now, whether that's true or not, I don't know.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I emailed them. We'll see what they say.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I emailed them. We'll see what they say.
View Quote

Keep us posted
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Each time I peek in this thread, I get the urge to replace my Mini with an SCR.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Yeah I wanted to pick up another lower a few months ago. Keep checking GB even.. complete rifles occasionally at steep mark ups. Bummer.

I haven't heard anything back from FightLite in any emails I've sent them, about the SCR or their nifty 22/45 replacement barrels/receivers
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 19 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top