BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2016 2:34:00 PM EDT
Your opinions on their durability will be appreciated
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#1]
With steel ones so cheap there is no reason, unless you are going for a super lightweight build even then I don't know if it is somewhere I would want to save 1/2 an ounce.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I worked on an ultralight AL gas block at my last job, worked great for 117 rounds.
Then it melted and threw molten AL into my BCG. If your going to buy and AL gas block make it a big one, lots of mass.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I've still got one on my bench 308 that I shaved down from a factory DPMS block.
It doesn't see mag dumps or 10,000 rounds a year, so it's never given me any trouble.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#5]
My JP aluminum gas block has been fine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
No.

Friends don't let friends buy aluminum gas blocks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an AR with a chunky aluminum rail height gas block. It it were steel, it would be half a pound probably. With the very moderate use I've given it, no issues. Being somewhat concerned about it in the back of my mind, I noticed a similar thread a while ago, where one or two guys confirmed that they had the same gas block and each bump fired or mag dumped at least 2 or 3 magazines multiple times with no issues.

Thats good enough for me for a range rifle. For a SHTF rifle, I would still get a steel gas block even it was over kill, just because. Some well known companies put tons of aluminum gas blocks on their rifles, which they would probably not do if they routinely failed under normal use.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried one once and it did not work for me at all. It got hot and leaked gas from everywhere it possibly could. NEVER AGAIN.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a few no issues. One gun has close to 8,000 round still works fine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Your opinions on their durability will be appreciated
View Quote

do not use them

any sustained firing will destroy them, if it actually cycles because of the thermal expansion
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine too.  I'm thinking not all of these aluminum gas blocks are created equal.  I can't see JP sticking a melting chocolate bar on the end of your rifle.  And on the aluminum, think about this.  All aluminum is not created equal either.  Most aluminum products and components are not pure, periodic table aluminum.  They are comprised of all manner of alloys and treatments to harden the end result.  I would suspect those who had melting or quickly failing aluminum gas blocks probably had blocks made with alloys not up to the task.  How many engines, cylinder heads, pistons, etc. are made out of aluminum?  Cylinder heads and pistons in particular are directly exposed to fuel combustion under compression for many thousands of miles and miles.  Anyway, I'm not sure I'd throw the baby out with the bathwater on all aluminum blocks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I would avoid them. If you want to save weight go with a Titanium block.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mine too.  I'm thinking not all of these aluminum gas blocks are created equal.  I can't see JP sticking a melting chocolate bar on the end of your rifle.  And on the aluminum, think about this.  All aluminum is not created equal either.  Most aluminum products and components are not pure, periodic table aluminum.  They are comprised of all manner of alloys and treatments to harden the end result.  I would suspect those who had melting or quickly failing aluminum gas blocks probably had blocks made with alloys not up to the task.  How many engines, cylinder heads, pistons, etc. are made out of aluminum?  Cylinder heads and pistons in particular are directly exposed to fuel combustion under compression for many thousands of miles and miles.  Anyway, I'm not sure I'd throw the baby out with the bathwater on all aluminum blocks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea a lot of times people buy the cheapest parts they can find then blame the part or material.

8 screws keeping it clamped together doesn't allow it to leak.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#14]
3 Years and a little over 3000 rds. with no problems at all. My shooting is target and varmint hunting. No mag dumps as I don't see the point. Guess it depends on how you shoot?
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Nope I usually just chop my FSB and keep the pinned gas block.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#16]
You can find titanium gas blocks that weigh well under an ounce.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Reasons to get one:  None
Reasons not to get one:  A lot
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the 2A Armament is just sexy. Which is almost as important since the weight savings are also less than an ounce.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And the 2A Armament is just sexy. Which is almost as important since the weight savings are also less than an ounce.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the 2A is good, i personally use a SLR and like it alot.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top