Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2016 6:50:40 PM EDT
Howdy, I'm about to purchase a rifle in 6.8 but have heard/read conflicting reports of ideal barrel length for 6.8. Some have said that 18" is best, others have said 16" and some have even said 14.7"

What's the best barrel length for optimum 6.8 110 gr performance?

Intended use will be range/hog hunting

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I would weight the hog hunting higher, and go short.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on the bullet you want to use.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't quote a resource for you, but I looked into this same question a few years ago when I put together my own 6.8.  My recollection was that the 6.8 was actually developed to function optimally in barrels 12-16 inches in length.  Someone else may chime in with documented specs, but this is what I remember.  Anyhow, I went with 16 for a number of reasons: no NFA where I live, didn't want to pin a 14.7, and different states have different regs about minimum barrel length for hunting.  I'm thrilled with my 16 inch 6.8spc!
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't quote a resource for you, but I looked into this same question a few years ago when I put together my own 6.8.  My recollection was that the 6.8 was actually developed to function optimally in barrels 12-16 inches in length.  Someone else may chime in with documented specs, but this is what I remember.  Anyhow, I went with 16 for a number of reasons: no NFA where I live, didn't want to pin a 14.7, and different states have different regs about minimum barrel length for hunting.  I'm thrilled with my 16 inch 6.8spc!
View Quote

this info is correct. you can also get  ton of help on 68forums as well as great info on that cartridge.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
16" is all you need.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top