Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2016 2:09:49 PM EDT
Wish I had pics but sorry I don't.
I decided to take my bushmaster out for a little shooting.
I was shooting with my brother at 200 yards. He was shooting a 7 mag.
I managed 5-6" groups keeping all shots in the black on a 10" target.
60 grain nosler ballistic tip with canular with blc2 and small rifle magnum primers.
Rear sight at battle zero and front sight one click up from flush.

Is that just meh, ok, or decent ?
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
better than I could do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Not bad at all with iron sights.  Ammo quality plays a role.. What ammo?
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
better than I could do.
View Quote

(with irons)
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#5]
i would say more than sufficient
all would be in center mass
what more could you ask for
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#7]
200 yards with irons?  I used to be able to, but now, my eyes will not allow such things
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The realistic answer is 3 MOA from hand loads is not something I'd write home about. You didn't say if these were loads you worked up for the gun or not. Could be the barrel simply doesn't like this load. I would expect that type of grouping from run of the mill  mil-surp ammo.

If your new to shooting rifles it's a good start.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Real good.  I see folks at the range that struggle with scopes to keep in the black at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
200 yards with irons?  I used to be able to, but now, my eyes will not allow such things
View Quote

Yeah, screw that noise. I'm 22 with great vision but a 10" black target still blurs out quick for me.

I would be happy with those groups OP.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What do you think?  You reload, so you obviously have a history with shooting firearms, how do you think you did?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think?  You reload, so you obviously have a history with shooting firearms, how do you think you did?  

I was kinda feeling I did ok. But now I'm not so sure. The trigger felt like I was dragging a cinder block on a gravel driveway.
All my carbine shooting has been through my Eotech or other optic. This was the first time I mounted the carry handle to the rifle in the 8 years I've owned it.
The loads work well with my Daniel defense 1/7  middie.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty decent on a 10" target at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#13]
ARS24-7, don't take my post as a negative of your shooting. My post was about the grouping of a handload compared to a common military surplus round.

As I stated it is about right for surplus. As far as the 200 yd with irons, hell I don't even see 200 yards with my old eyes. I can generally hit at 100 but anything over that is with optics. So take that as meaning there is nothing wrong with your shooting. But as you said this load works fine for your DD, it just doesn't seem like this rifle like it.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Void one day I'll load a pic correctly
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think you did fine. Have you ever noticed how much a gritty trigger makes you concentrate on the shot?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was kinda feeling I did ok. But now I'm not so sure. The trigger felt like I was dragging a cinder block on a gravel driveway.
All my carbine shooting has been through my Eotech or other optic. This was the first time I mounted the carry handle to the rifle in the 8 years I've owned it.
The loads work well with my Daniel defense 1/7  middie.

I think you did fine. Have you ever noticed how much a gritty trigger makes you concentrate on the shot?  

Yeah, as I was pulling the trigger all the background noise disappears and all I could hear is my breath exhale and I swear I could actually hear the trigger slowly grinding away until it finally released. Felt like an inch of travel lol.
It's probably my least shot rifle. I have 5 AR's and this is my only factory built and only 1/9 carbine length gas system.
All my others are 1/7 middies plus a 6.8 SPC SBR  in progress.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The realistic answer is 3 MOA from hand loads is not something I'd write home about. You didn't say if these were loads you worked up for the gun or not. Could be the barrel simply doesn't like this load. I would expect that type of grouping from run of the mill  mil-surp ammo.

View Quote

Give us a break.  You can shoot less than 3 MOA with irons at distance all day long?  OK.  Whatever you say   He didn't even say what kind of rest he was using.  It seems he didn't mean offhand, but still.  What if he was just using a sling?  What if he just was using his mag as a monopod off  a bench.  Even if he had the rifle bagged front and back, shooting 3 MOA with irons at 200 yards is not something I see people do regularly.  Despite how great everyone says they shoot around here.  

I know that some HiPower disciplined shooters will be able to do better than this.  But it's usually with a good trigger, a heavy barrel, a really tight sling and practice.  Maybe a smaller ap than normal.  Etc etc.  

Nothing wrong with having high standards.   And maybe you can shoot better "all day long".  But my skeptical meter is pegging.  

I don't usually like to get into arguments on here.  But I get sick of the claims of how great people can shoot.   Because for sure some of it is just BS.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Give us a break.  You can shoot less than 3 MOA with irons at distance all day long?  OK.  Whatever you say   He didn't even say what kind of rest he was using.  It seems he didn't mean offhand, but still.  What if he was just using a sling?  What if he just was using his mag as a monopod off  a bench.  Even if he had the rifle bagged front and back, shooting 3 MOA with irons at 200 yards is not something I see people do regularly.  Despite how great everyone says they shoot around here.  

I know that some HiPower disciplined shooters will be able to do better than this.  But it's usually with a good trigger, a heavy barrel, a really tight sling and practice.  Maybe a smaller ap than normal.  Etc etc.  

Nothing wrong with having high standards.   And maybe you can shoot better "all day long".  But my skeptical meter is pegging.  

I don't usually like to get into arguments on here.  But I get sick of the claims of how great people can shoot.   Because for sure some of it is just BS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen brother! I took me a while in my early years to keep em on a 10" target at 100 yds with irons. Ive seen MANY other walk out and look at their targets in confusion like "where did I hit?' If youre on paper at 200 yds youre doing just fine! Focus on the fundamentals and keep putting that lead down range.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Pretty good for a stock rifle. A smaller hooded peep sight and smaller NM front sight post will easily reduce your group if your doing your part. I love shooting irons. I flip em up with my optic off, cowitness and practice. Iron sight rifleman skills are a dying skill we should all hone.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 10-shot group pictured below was fired off of sand bags at a distance of 100 yards using a Colt A2 with the standard A2 iron sights.  The group has an extreme spread of 1.86 MOA.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooting skills on ARFCOM are inflated, yes.

However shooting well with irons is not that hard if you are trained to use iron sights properly.  A surprising and discouraging number of people think iron sights are not precise or that optics are the only way to shoot good groups.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

However shooting well with irons is not that hard if you are trained to use iron sights properly.  A surprising and discouraging number of people think iron sights are not precise or that optics are the only way to shoot good groups.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't meaning to sound like it's not possible to get small groups with iron sights.  I mostly shoot irons myself.  I prefer irons.  I have got some small groups with iron sights, A FEW times.    Albeit I find it easier to get groups with irons from my battle rifles.  

Anyways......    He asked if it was good.  I think it is.  I would be really happy with that.  Of course he hasn't proved he actually did it either.    No pics.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iron sights have been winning wars since the musket. They will always be around

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For all you assholes that can't bother to read before jumping on someone try going back and reading the post I made A DAY before this clown posted.

Then STFU. Bunch of ass clown posers on here I swear.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I wasn't meaning to sound like it's not possible to get small groups with iron sights.  I mostly shoot irons myself.  I prefer irons.  I have got some small groups with iron sights, A FEW times.    Albeit I find it easier to get groups with irons from my battle rifles.  

Anyways......    He asked if it was good.  I think it is.  I would be really happy with that.  Of course he hasn't proved he actually did it either.    No pics.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will be going to the range this weekend and I will repeat the shots at same yardage, same loads. even wearing the same underwear. This time with pics.
I was shooting from a bench with barrel on a bag and stock on my shoulder and no sling. This time I'll have my DD bbl along with me to compare the two.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top