AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Forward Controls Design (Page 2 of 32)
Page / 32
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By iroc409:

The forward assist without the rim on it should be a pretty drastic upgrade, as I've tried to rip fingernails off in the past.
View Quote
Unless you feel a need for the FA, I prefer plugging them with this because I already have ripped a finger nail partially off

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100339791
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jonny1904:
Unless you feel a need for the FA, I prefer plugging them with this because I already have ripped a finger nail partially off

View Quote
Same
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Duffy:
We don't own or run machines, most of the shops that make our products for us are in TX, some in CA, MI, OR and SC.  The business and family are moving and taking all of our assets to TX
View Quote

Sounds good and a great state to be in....we just have to keep it red
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iroc409:

The forward assist without the rim on it should be a pretty drastic upgrade, as I've tried to rip fingernails off in the past.

Oh yeah, I need to pick up a couple of those for guns I don't need a forward assist.

If I didn't have so many uppers laying around I'd just get some without the FA.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:06:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2A-Non-Negotiable] [#7]
We don't own or run machines, most of the shops that make our products for us are in TX, some in CA, MI, OR and SC.  The business and family are moving and taking all of our assets to TX
View All Quotes
I just read that Elon Musk is making the same move (CA to TX). CA is basically Brazil and only going downhill.

Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
The FCD bolt catch is magical

I wish they would include "bolt catch" in the name, so you could readily search for it, instead of getting this:

Your search for "bolt catch" returned the following results...
0 Records Found.

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 2A-Non-Negotiable:
I just read that Elon Musk is making the same move (CA to TX). CA is basically Brazil and only going downhill.

I wish they would include "bolt catch" in the name, so you could readily search for it, instead of getting this:

View Quote

I found them just by browsing the site, I wanted to see everything they have to offer so nothing would be missed.

Here's a link to it, the ABC https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/ABCR-v3_p_237.html
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Just added ABC/R's description, you should be able to search for bolt catch now
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:00:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey Roger, any updates on the production LPD magazine catch?
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:09:48 AM EDT
[#11]
FCD complete rifles when?
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:20:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SirSqueeboo] [#12]
The mag release is heavenly.  Soooo much better than a Norgon.

Half of my go-to rifle is built with parts I bought from FCD.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#13]
LPD mag catch will be made in once piece, we're still working on reducing the run time on those.  Full FCD guns, it's more than likely
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#14]
LPD mag catch will be made in once piece, we're still working on reducing the run time on those.  Full FCD guns, it's more than likely
View Quote

Goodie goodie goodie
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]
9 minutes from order to shipping notice. Unacceptable!

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#16]
Sorry on the phone with our realtor about our CA property sale

Full FCD rifles will use our components, but trigger, barrel will come from Centurion Arms, Hodge Defense, SOLGW or SIONICS, and furniture will be from Reptilia, Magpul or B5.  We have no interest in making or putting our name on barrels and triggers, I have a simple change I want to make on factory triggers, but I think trigger development had plateaued long ago.

Also look for collaborations with other respected companies, one of them will be released in a month.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a fcd glock mos plate.

First one came in warped.

Emailed to see if I was being retarded on the install.

Had a new one shipped to me for free the same day, arrived overnight shipping.

FCD is on my list of favorites and when I'm not broke ill buy more of their stuff.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry on the phone with our realtor about our CA property sale

Full FCD rifles will use our components, but trigger, barrel will come from Centurion Arms, Hodge Defense, SOLGW or SIONICS, and furniture will be from Reptilia, Magpul or B5.  We have no interest in making or putting our name on barrels and triggers, I have a simple change I want to make on factory triggers, but I think trigger development had plateaued long ago.

Also look for collaborations with other respected companies, one of them will be released in a month.
View Quote
FCD smol parts in a SOLGW receiver set (please use the Cygnus for a subtle roll mark!) and Sionics-ported barrel would make me extremely happy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:47:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#19]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
FCD smol parts in a SOLGW receiver set (please use the Cygnus for a subtle roll mark!) and Sionics-ported barrel would make me extremely happy.
View Quote
What's smol? I looked at the site and saw absolutely nothing. Pictures?
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Internet talk for small
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Just me being an older millennial and using internet slang.

Small parts which is where I most appreciate FCD's design philosophy and prioritization of function above all else, and only when tangible improvements are there to be found.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vincentvega6] [#22]
been hooked on FCD since day 1, great products & great customer support. the ASF is the best/smoothest selector on the market currently and its worth the price of admission.

ETA:
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By vincentvega6:
been hooked on FCD since day 1, great products & great customer support. the ASF is the best/smoothest selector on the market currently and its worth the price of admission.
View Quote

How would you compare it with a Radian? I'm hooked on the Radian Talon-GI selectors at 90 degrees.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#24]
If I ever break my kac selector I'm gonna try a fcd one as a replacement.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#25]

How would you compare it with a Radian? I'm hooked on the Radian Talon-GI selectors at 90 degrees.
View Quote

I had one radian talon, once upon a time. I was not a fan of how it went together. the detents through the barrel seemed like they could break given enough hard use & the levers on the one I had slid around slightly in the dovetails. I didn't like the feel of the levers at all either, did not jive with my thumb, and it didn't get better at either the 45 or 90 degree angle.

the ASF levers are held in by roll pin, and do not move on the selector barrel once they are driven in. the roll pins on the ASF do make it a bit of a chore to put in, but once it is installed its rock solid. the coating on the barrel and the included detent makes for a VERY smooth activating safety. I have ASFs in both lever types, but I have the most in the Q lever. I only got the standard to try out both, and I ended up going with more Q lever versions. the placement of the Q lever fits me better and i'm able to engage it with minimal shift in grip. before this came out I did have a badger condition 1 and I felt the same about the levers as I did with the radian, but it was a lot more solid once installed compared to the radian I had.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#26]
FCD is the one company I’ll fanboy over. Truly excellent products and Roger has always been a stand-up guy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:57:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#27]
RE: ASF (ambidextrous selector, FCD), it's a joint project with SOLGW.  After my last gig, I waited a long time before I wanted to wade into the safety market again.  If we can't do something better, we simply carry products we like and use.  For ambi safeties, there are some competent and able choices, Badger Ordnance Condition 1 comes to mind.

ASF uses roll pins, not screws, or spring loaded detent to keep the lever attached.  The tolerance (0.001) we have on the lever to center interface almost always produces a fit that doesn't wobble before the roll pin is driven in.  I will not brook wobbly levers or screws that loosen or shear, and I don't trust screws, and won't use them if I can help it, both pet peeves that prompted me to stick to factory safety till ASF came out in May of 2020.

The offset q levers are not new on other rifle systems, it's also been done on the AR before ASF came along.  We believe we had done a very good job shifting the lever off center so when it's on SEMI/FIRE, the user doesn't have to break his grip to rotate it back to SAFE.  There are many examples of over correction and it's an easy trap to fall into, we've never subscribed to the "if a little is good, then a lot must be a lot better" thing, because it fails to work almost everywhere it's applied.

Both centers and levers are 8620, centers are heat treated, both are black nitrided.  A lion's share of R&D resources went to the geometry of the detent holes and groove, we have lots of $400 prototypes to show for it lol.  But it's all worth it, ASF has smooth rotation and positive detent engagement, something we think users should demand, and take for granted, it's the way it should be.

I'd post pics, but my friend Nate (NSZ85) recently did a video on it so here it is

AR-15 - Safety Installation - FCD-ASF

ASF's short levers aren't just shorter, they're slightly wider to make up for the loss of surface area.  In typical FCD fashion, we put a lot of thoughts into ASF.  Nothing was made for looks, everything has a reason and purpose.  Roll pins are effective and robust (420 stainless steel), nothing fancy needed, or wanted.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:25:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Their products are of the highest quality and function. Their safety selector is the smoothest I’ve ever felt.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#29]
RE: ASF (ambidextrous selector, FCD), it's a joint project with SOLGW.  After my last gig, I waited a long time before I wanted to wade into the safety market again.  If we can't do something better, we simply carry products we like and use.  For ambi safeties, there are some competent and able choices, Badger Ordnance Condition 1 comes to mind.

ASF uses roll pins, not screws, or spring loaded detent to keep the lever attached.  The tolerance (0.001) we have on the lever to center interface almost always produces a fit that doesn't wobble before the roll pin is driven in.  I will not brook wobbly levers or screws that loosen or shear, and I don't trust screws, and won't use them if I can help it, both pet peeves that prompted me to stick to factory safety till ASF came out in May of 2020.

The offset q levers are not new on other rifle systems, it's also been done on the AR before ASF came along.  We believe we had done a very good job shifting the lever off center so when it's on SEMI/FIRE, the user doesn't have to break his grip to rotate it back to SAFE.  There are many examples of over correction and it's an easy trap to fall into, we've never subscribed to the "if a little is good, then a lot must be a lot better" thing, because it fails to work almost everywhere it's applied.

Both centers and levers are 8620, centers are heat treated, both are black nitrided.  A lion's share of R&D resources went to the geometry of the detent holes and groove, we have lots of $400 prototypes to show for it lol.  But it's all worth it, ASF has smooth rotation and positive detent engagement, something we think users should demand, and take for granted, it's the way it should be.

I'd post pics, but my friend Nate (NSZ85) recently did a video on it so here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7cb3I90w7E

ASF's short levers aren't just shorter, they're slightly wider to make up for the loss of surface area.  In typical FCD fashion, we put a lot of thoughts into ASF.  Nothing was made for looks, everything has a reason and purpose.  Roll pins are effective and robust (420 stainless steel), nothing fancy needed, or wanted.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/781/Capture_JPG-1723201.JPG
View Quote
I'm convinced to get one now, added to the ever growing list
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Sweet
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll echo everything everyone else is saying.  When you use the products, you're like, oh I see now. You immediately see a difference between them and the part you're used to or just replaced.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like I'm ahead of the game. I have all lower fcd components that were available at the beginning of last year. Upper and bcg are hdsi, barrel is centurion, handguard centurion too. Lower is solgw.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Btw FCD exceeds all expectations. Truly all the thrill and no frill. No marketing schemes (re-labeling crap colors) one of the most gtg firearms companies in existence at the moment. The only down side is finding the parts you want/need sometimes is a job in it's own.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't think I've ever seen Arfcom agree on something quite like this

Will have to keep them in mind.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By iiibdsiil:

View Quote

It’s the one thing Geissele, LaRue, and even KAC guys agree on, FCD is quality.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#36]
OP I bought their OPF-G plate for my RMR that I don’t own before my Glock 19.5 MOS came in. That’s how much I trust their reputation.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:
Originally Posted By iiibdsiil:

If one was one the Centurion Arms group on Facebook, they would start instantly noticing how all three get along so well with both FCD & Centurion
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:07:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bonsai1214] [#38]
Seeing you say a full rifle is coming makes me hate living in MA...

Also, lots of things are out of stock I guess I’ll keep refreshing daily!
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#39]
FCD parts go on all of my lower builds. Roger's customer service cannot be beat.

the OPF-G plate is a must have if you are running a glock MOS.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By humahuma:
FCD parts go on all of my lower builds. Roger's customer service cannot be beat.

the OPF-G plate is a must have if you are running a glock MOS.
View Quote

i've always had my slides cut for optics, but seeing an OPF-G go through my hands onto a friends gun makes me want an MOS just to run one lol. I do need a G45 eventually....
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By vincentvega6:

i've always had my slides cut for optics, but seeing an OPF-G go through my hands onto a friends gun makes me want an MOS just to run one lol. I do need a G45 eventually....
View Quote
There's both a G34 gen 5 MOS and a G19 gen 5 MOS in the EE right now.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#42]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7cb3I90w7E

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/781/Capture_JPG-1723201.JPG
View Quote

Cool. Now do me a favor and make a left side offset lever that sticks out to the side even a bit more than your short lever in the pic. Preferably a long lever, not short.

When shooting my MK11-ish and MK12-ish clones, I ride my thumb on the right side of the receiver on BAD 60 degree lever and use it like a thumb rest because it's the widest lever I could find.  A 50 degree Q lever seems like it'd work better as long as it turned into a suitably wide thumb rest.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#43]
How about a program to upgrade existing AR to FCD accessories, professionally installed? Centurion barrel, rail, gas block with FCD
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:51:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#44]
Wider long levers are possible, I don't think it'd have any adverse effect.  HK levers are far wider, even wider than ASF short levers.

One of the mistakes I avoided is overwhelm customers with too many lever options.  I was guilty of and responsible for the numerous lever options in my last gig, something I didn't intend to repeat.  That said, I did think about a thick long lever, but opted to stay close to the TDP width on the long, and only gave the extra width to the shorter lever.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#45]
We don't plan on offering gunsmith services yet, might be something we will look into.  If we can't do it well, in this case, it'd mean both quality of the work, and reasonable turn around, we just don't get into it.

Originally Posted By disembled:
How about a program to upgrade existing AR to FCD accessories, professionally installed? Centurion barrel, rail, gas block with FCD
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#46]
+1 for how great FCD is. Absolutely love the parts I have got. Not all are for the AR platform. Definitely recommend the RMR OPF-G as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#47]
handguard, bolt catch, take down/pivot pins, and selector.  i like

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Wider long levers are possible, I don't think it'd have any adverse effect.  HK levers are far wider, even wider than ASF short levers.

One of the mistakes I avoided is overwhelm customers with too many lever options.  I was guilty of and responsible for the numerous lever options in my last gig, something I didn't intend to repeat.  That said, I did think about a thick long lever, but opted to stay close to the TDP width on the long, and only gave the extra width to the shorter lever.
View Quote

Well, if you ever do offer a "Precision shooters thumb rest lever", lemme know and i'll upgrade. Especially if you also slightly round the bottom to make it slick as hell to flip the safety back on with the same thumb.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Midlothian

Folks at SOLGW and HDSI would like us to go further south (San Antonio) but my wife has family in Dallas, so we opted for something like we have in CA, out of the big city but still close enough to access all the services afforded by big cities.
View Quote

I’m minutes away from there.  Wylie Arms is practically down the street from me.

I’ll come hang out with some smoked ducks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Wiley Arms has been making our EMR-A (ambi mag catch) since 2017, they used to make a lot more things for us, but the shop got busy with other stuff.

When the virus has settled down, we'll have a get together for our friends, hopefully no masks will be necessary then
Page / 32
Forward Controls Design (Page 2 of 32)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top