User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Forward Controls Design (Page 30 of 32)
Page / 32
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 3:04:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#1]
50* ambi safety initially sold me on FCD, all my ARs have them now.

Newest build sports the safety, forward assist, mag release button, port door, bolt catch, and takedown/pivot pins.  Love me some FCD small parts.

Need to take a look at these receiver sets now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
100% unnecessary, but I don't care. I love the twin dimples

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang

I finally installed one of our EPCs on the test gun (top)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Duffy:
Dang

I finally installed one of our EPCs on the test gun (top)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/781/IMG_2571_jpeg-3000722.JPG
View Quote

Damnnnnnnnn
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe this has been asked before, but why the option for single or twin dimples with the EPC's?
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The shallow depression was meant to serve as a texture, a way to differentiate the otherwise flat surface on the port cover when a user uses trigger finger to get underneath and close it.  It was later pointed out for those that use their support hand to wrap around the mag well could use something like that too, so one was put in front.

We couldn't decide to have just the left or right, so we make both available. either a single depression on the left, or one on each side.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to Trijicon that includes both 6-32 and 6-40 screws, RCR is compatible with all of our RMR plates
The decision to keep use the same thickness and same spec screws for parts commonality has been a good one.  We had no idea back in 2019 that it was going to help us with RCR in 2023.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Duck Sauce build is just about done. Only thing that should change is tossing on my PA Nova in a 1.7" Badger mount, as I'll be putting the dot/mag on the next build. Will get painted come spring, when I got some fresh local foliage to match it with. The Ambi lowers are an absolutely FANTASTIC piece. All the added little design improvements when paired with the FCD add-ons just make it **chef's kiss**

#dimplegang

Link Posted: 11/1/2023 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#10]
LRF uses in spec TDP parts, even the right side bolt release is fairly commonly found on many ZEV/MEGA made lowers.

It was mentioned a few times folks wish the lines would blend with our uppers (v2 at the time) better in the rear.  I just didn't pay attention to looks, aesthetics isn't the reason LRF exists, and I did think about it, and decided to not make it match our v2 uppers, as it should work well and look not out of place for any upper receiver.

Our v3 upper looks different from v2, it's less angular and a bit wider, further validating our decision to not match LRF with any particular upper.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't mind that they don't stylistically match 100%. I was more concerned with the fitment between the receivers, and it is money. No rattling, but still easy to pull the pins. And the countersunk area for the rear pin is great for the guys with big fat hands like me.

All I had to do was heat gun the beavertail on the BCM grip to get it flush with the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
The shallow depression was meant to serve as a texture, a way to differentiate the otherwise flat surface on the port cover when a user uses trigger finger to get underneath and close it.  It was later pointed out for those that use their support hand to wrap around the mag well could use something like that too, so one was put in front.

We couldn't decide to have just the left or right, so we make both available. either a single depression on the left, or one on each side.
View Quote

Just to let you know both my fiancé and I deeply appreciate having the choice between the single or double depression on the epc. I personally love the asymmetric look of the single dimpled epc. It adds an aesthetically pleasing touch to the cover and although I understand aesthetics isn't your main intention when you're improving a part for the AR, I've always thought it was funny how despite that, most of the improvements end up making the gun not just function better(or at least more intuitively), but look better as well.

Aesthetics almost always tend to be a side effects of utility to me though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 3:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#13]
3rd party grip with beaver tail fit is one thing I'd like to see work better on the next revision, it'll be a minor one.

Looks are easy, functions are harder.  The AR system has been around for a long time, coming up with real improvement is harder still, so most of them are evolutionary and usually small.

We often go against trends.  When lightweight was the fad, we went heavy on sling mounts and rails.  Charging handles with moving handles are still the trend, we stick to TDP form factor with fixed handles, these designs are the result of the functions we want them to achieve, following the trend has nothing to do with functions.  

After that, we can work on looks, which usually takes between 0 to 1% of the R&D time because it's so unimportant and easy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Who is getting the clear anodized a5 extensions besides revival? And are you planning to update the carbine length extensions to match for colors? I'm trying to order everything from one website and weighing if I'm going to wait for the carbine length or go with the a5
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]
A5 whenever possible

We may do the standard carbine as well, but we're starting with the A5 version first.  Revival Defense has them, we'll get more next week.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#16]
A5 whenever possible

We may do the standard carbine as well, but we're starting with the A5 version first.  Revival Defense has them, we'll get more next week.
View Quote

So is revival the only place you'll be sending them our or should we expect WO or BTO to get them in at some point
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Dealers can get them, they're just so new, nobody else is physically closer to us than Revival.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Dealers can get them, they're just so new, nobody else is physically closer to us than Revival.
View Quote

Word. I'll keep an eye out my dude!
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Just stopped in to say I love FCD handguards

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:42:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5L33P3R] [#21]

@tct1000 is that a PEAK30?

if so do how do you like it?

Edit:

New bronze FCD upper is fantastic!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 5L33P3R:

Edit:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/478727/IMG_8533_jpeg-3018919.JPG
View Quote

It's the Vox K (the original version).  Not the highest sound performing can, but it's just such a minimal device (weight/size).
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Waiting on the barrel, T2 then this one should be finished

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

it’s …beautiful
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 5L33P3R:

Edit:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/478727/IMG_8533_jpeg-3018919.JPG
View Quote

who did the engraving?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#26]
i went to a buddy's shop and played with his laser a while back just to goof around.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Any timeline on the 5/8x24 Nautilus????
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#28]
No ETA for 5/8, it's being worked on now

Products to be released still in 2023: MLOK fixed loop sling mount, Picatinny fixed loop sling mount, and a new end plate.  Also an RMR plate for G43X and G48
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:42:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5L33P3R] [#29]
No ETA for 5/8, it's being worked on now

Products to be released still in 2023: MLOK fixed loop sling mount, Picatinny fixed loop sling mount, and a new end plate.  Also an RMR plate for G43X and G48
View Quote

@duffy

eta on the new end plate?

was about to order another couple from ya,ll but may hold off depending on what the new one offers.

T
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#30]
December, they're almost done.

The new sling mounts and end plates are a new direction for us, the new sling mounts have a fixed loop, and the end plate has an eyelet for an HK hook or BFG ULoop, none of these are QDs.

QD isn't for everyone, not everyone wants or needs it.  We already make QD MLOK sling mounts and end plates that accommodate QD swivels, the new sling mounts and end plate are not QD, they're more robust for it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:54:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#31]

The new sling mounts and end plates are a new direction for us, the new sling mounts have a fixed loop, and the end plate has an eyelet for an HK hook or BFG ULoop, none of these are QDs.

QD isn't for everyone, not everyone wants or needs it.  We already make QD MLOK sling mounts and end plates that accommodate QD swivels, the new sling mounts and end plate are not QD, they're more robust for it.
View Quote

Speaking of QD, wish guys made a QD sling point that only used a short mlok slot. On some rails and on stuff like the Beretta 1301 zhukov handguard there is a shorter mlok slot towards the rear which would be perfect for a QD sling point but nobody currently makes one. IWC use to make one but their situation now, I don’t think they will ever have them available again sadly. Even a fixed loop that worked with a short mlok slot would be great for an HK hook. I hate having to run my sling all the way forward.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

What lower is that?
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 3:57:32 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

where did you get the camo wrap on your mlok forearm and stock?

I have some mlok grip tape wrap, but never seen the camo wrap
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#34]
MSQ-H is the QD single MLOK slot sling mount.  The fixed loop MLOK sling mount also occupies a single MLOK slot
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By LowRez:

where did you get the camo wrap on your mlok forearm and stock?

I have some mlok grip tape wrap, but never seen the camo wrap
View Quote

@lowrez

I did it myself / homemade
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By _LandCruiser_:

What lower is that?
View Quote

@_LandCruiser_

its an Evolve Weapon Systems lower that was a colab with High Tier Snobs
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MK318:

Speaking of QD, wish guys made a QD sling point that only used a short mlok slot. On some rails and on stuff like the Beretta 1301 zhukov handguard there is a shorter mlok slot towards the rear which would be perfect for a QD sling point but nobody currently makes one. IWC use to make one but their situation now, I don’t think they will ever have them available again sadly. Even a fixed loop that worked with a short mlok slot would be great for an HK hook. I hate having to run my sling all the way forward.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_3428_jpeg-3030308.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_6926_jpeg-3030310.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I was really confused as that is a full mlok slot until I saw this picture:

If you really wanted a QD mount there you could probably whip something up with a little dremel action.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:16:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#38]

That is my favorite build on this entire website. Awesome!

I’m thinking of taking a few of mine apart and just start mixing parts around.

Link Posted: 11/18/2023 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Just10mm:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Just10mm:

the more wrong it looks, the better it feels...
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Finally got a chance to pick these up from my FFL.

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Happy Thanksgiving everyone
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 2:47:27 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Happy Thanksgiving!

Any chance you'll consider reworking the Clear Ano? Current batch is looking completely silver, whereas 7075 should look honey tan. Would really like the latter.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Cowbell:

https://www.aridusindustries.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/20180607_102305.jpg

If you really wanted a QD mount there you could probably whip something up with a little dremel action.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cowbell:

https://www.aridusindustries.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/20180607_102305.jpg

Yeah those little pieces index with the 1301 and they take up a lot of room on that mlok slot. I may just break out the dremel and make the room needed for a sling mount. Seems to be the only solution at this point.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 5:51:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ed_Victory] [#44]

Yeah those little pieces index with the 1301 and they take up a lot of room on that mlok slot. I may just break out the dremel and make the room needed for a sling mount. Seems to be the only solution at this point.
View Quote

This may work for you. I don’t have the M-LOK recoil lug dimensions handy but it occupies roughly half a M-LOK slot.

https://fernilab.com/shop/p/pocket-socket
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:00:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbearz] [#45]

Happy Thanksgiving!

Any chance you'll consider reworking the Clear Ano? Current batch is looking completely silver, whereas 7075 should look honey tan. Would really like the latter.
View All Quotes

Happy Thanksgiving!

7075 clear ano can vary wildly in color and shade. It's eventual color isn't just because of the type/grade of aluminum. Minor differences in the composition, the length of time its being anodized, even the same type of aluminum but different batches with  minor differences in amounts of magnesium, zinc, etc, have a pretty distinct difference in the color that comes out of it.  Plus I believe machining marks can also effect it. Nailing down a consistent color, let alone one that you deem as perfect, when clear anodizing aluminum is all but impossible.

It shouldn't look "honey tan.". It can look honey tan depending on a ton of different circumstances.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#46]
We'll do clear ano now and then.  As pointed out above, the color will vary depending on several factors, forged 7075 and billet 7075 may look different, which also look different from 7075 billet port covers.  6061 will look different as well, the shop we and SOLGW both use has managed to keep them fairly consistent, but we don't demand or expect a perfect match.

We have clear ano RE5F (A5 compatible RE), we'll do more v3 billet uppers next month.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Clear ano carbine extensions please!
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I want a clear ano FCD ACH.   Anyone want to sell me theirs????
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#49]
We'll run another batch of EPC in clear ano, ACF might see another batch next year.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes,   This would be awesome as well.     While I’m here.   Or should we just all go with an A5 kit on our carbines.  What’s the benefit?
Page / 32
Forward Controls Design (Page 30 of 32)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top