Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Forward Controls Design (Page 4 of 32)
Page / 32
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Duffy:
We'll have 4 new devices for Keymo and Key Micro.  Dead Air has been a real pleasure to work with, we're mutual admirers of each other's work
View Quote

Are you also going to be doing anything with the new Xenomorph mount? Or just Keymo?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes on Xeno mounts if DA decides to license it, we can come to market quickly once they give us the go ahead.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hard to say, we need to get black out the door first lol
View Quote

For sure, do what you gotta do... I have an all OD anodized build. All OD except for the lower. Knowing how many other items y’all offer in OD, I was hoping to finally get it finished out with a nice lower. Cant wait to see if it happens!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#4]
So are we talking about a nice ambi lower coming soon? To many acronyms in this thread

Please get some details if so.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely solid.

🦆
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#6]
Originally Posted By Blackhalo:
So are we talking about a nice ambi lower coming soon? To many acronyms in this thread

Please get some details if so.
View Quote

Kinda sorta

52:40 mark

LMT Defense Q&A #1 Enhanced BCG's
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jonny1904:

Kinda sorta

52:40 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmLmRQT_UmA
View Quote

Nice. Thanks man.

I do have a couple Mars lowers, so that will be a nice option to have.

Another fully ambi lower on the market would be nice too though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Duffy is the man.  

FCD stuff dont quit
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
The FCD bolt catch is magical
View Quote

Is it noticeably better than Seekins' Enhanced bolt catch? If so I'm in!
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:37:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wally05] [#10]
I just installed a 11.5” RHF rail for my 12.3” ballistic advantage build and it’s a tank!  The rail fits so well with its anti rotation tabs that I had to tap it into place.  Great stuff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Since 2019, we gradually removed voids/lightening cuts on the hand guard to strengthen it.  It's now heavier, but stronger in the process.

Our bolt catch is on version 3, I can't post links but here's a pic.  V3 began production in 2020, and has all of the design features of v1 and v2, and new features folks asked for.  Options for the upper paddle (forward biased, centered, and rearward biased), lower paddle with "butterfly" horizontal extensions to increase surface area.  We added a ledge on the top of the upper paddle, and bottom of the lower paddle to increase traction.  I believe ABC/R v3 is the most thought out bolt catch made for the AR15/M16, it's also one of the most expensive, each bolt catch spends 26 minutes on the machine, it's always been billet machined from a solid block of steel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sdrake100:

Engineers like to think they're designers. They're not.
View Quote

Ha.  Ok.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Since 2019, we gradually removed voids/lightening cuts on the hand guard to strengthen it.  It's now heavier, but stronger in the process.

Our bolt catch is on version 3, I can't post links but here's a pic.  V3 began production in 2020, and has all of the design features of v1 and v2, and new features folks asked for.  Options for the upper paddle (forward biased, centered, and rearward biased), lower paddle with "butterfly" horizontal extensions to increase surface area.  We added a ledge on the top of the upper paddle, and bottom of the lower paddle to increase traction.  I believe ABC/R v3 is the most thought out bolt catch made for the AR15/M16, it's also one of the most expensive, each bolt catch spends 26 minutes on the machine, it's always been billet machined from a solid block of steel.
View Quote

It definitely has a little more heft than other rails I've used / installed, but the quality is apparent even when installing M-lok items.  And I have both the bolt catches and ambi mag releases on two of my receivers.  Fantastic quality.  I just noticed that on some receivers, there is more flop to the release lever.  I know you said it was due to tolerances on some receivers.  

I have no doubts of the quality of anything I order from FCD.  It's one of the few companies that I can trust like that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Some of our products have the H (heavy) designation, RHF hasn't taken on the H suffix but it might as well.  I'd rather have strength and durability than light weight, for those into light weight products, there are some good ones in the market, but sole focus on light weight to the exclusion of everything else isn't our thing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jmreagan:

View Quote

Much better in my opinion. If you shoot with the wrong hand the difference between both if compared side by side, will actually be more noticeable.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Huge fan of fcd products. The bolt catches are amazing. Patiently waiting for stock to replenish. Wanna try one of the charging handles.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Patiently waiting for an ODG "double dimple" EPC port door..

Keep up the great work brother!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#18]
EPCs are going to ano next week, we'll have some black ones in a week or so

Thank you guys for your kind words and support, we're grateful
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:04:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: david_the_greek] [#19]
Putting together my first SBR with a Larue UU kit/lower, which will unfortunately take a while to get, but it overall seems like a decent kit for the price (and I like Marks attitude ). I think in stock forward control products are harder to find than ammo! Orders placed with 3 different sites to get what I think I need, as well as a bunch of extra pins/springs, and a plate for my 19 MOS.

I'm really looking forward to trying the FCD koolaid and hopefully getting an upper/lower when those become available again. As a side note, FCD might actually ship faster than DSG, which is impressive AF.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:18:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#20]
EPCs are going to ano next week, we'll have some black ones in a week or so

Thank you guys for your kind words and support, we're grateful
View Quote
Finally! I'm going to make sure that I am subscribed to be able to get a few that I have wanted.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:41:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: berkeleygiraffe] [#21]

The advent of the ambidextrous charging handle, along with other ambidextrous controls, is a boon for AR15/M16 users, but it is not without unintended consequences.

The forward assist rim is in the path of the user's fingernail or knuckle if he uses the right handle of the charging handle to load/reload, the user can easily snag on the rim. Our solution is a rimless forward assist (LDFA), available since 2015. LDFA does away with the rim found on the A2 forward assist. As the FA isn't an often used control, the design forgoes the surface area offered by the rim and deems the smaller footprint justified.

Hodge Defense Systems Inc. (HDSI) has similar ideas but has a different execution, the forward assist on its Mod2 shares similarities with the A1 teardrop forward assist.

HDSI likes the increased surface area the A1 teardrop forward assist provides while remaining snag free for ambidextrous charging handle users.

Jim Hodge of Hodge Defense Systems and we have been friends for a decade, and are mutual admirers of each other's work. In 2019, each company was developing its own new version of the forward assist. Once we realized the likely duplication of efforts, HDSI and FCD decided to collaborate on a unified low snag forward assist that would have the attributes both companies deem important.

Jim has worked with Jordan Bowles on concepts for many years in the way of bringing ideas and concepts into the digital world as a jump start for design. Jim had asked Jordan to source and sub the original teardrop Jim used in his builds. When Jim wanted a new solution to the FA, Jordan was an obvious “go-to” for this design.

LSFA (Low Snag Forward Assist) is the result of the collaboration between FCD and HDSI. With Jordan's input, the design incorporates attributes from both the LDFA and Mod2 forward assist. It has a smooth top and bottom to mitigate snagging, and increased plunger surface area, with its pad extending inward, towards the bore, creating a forward assist with the surface area Jim likes, and the low probability of snagging important to FCD. LSFA is a fusion of previous FCD and HDSI designs, from two companies known for their meticulous attention to detail and focus on duty grade, hard use weapons and components.

We are confident LSFA will serve ambidextrous charging handle users that want, and use, a forward assist on their duty and defense AR15/M16.

CNC Billet construction,  LSFA is machined from 4130 steel bar stock, heat treated with black nitride finish.

Proudly designed and made in Texas, USA.
View Quote

New LSFA looks neat. looks like it goes inward instead of down?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:05:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#22]
Indeed, LSFA's extended pad is like a smaller A1 FA rotated 90 degree clockwise to reduce the likelihood of it snagging on gear, and fingernail as the user uses the right side of an ambi charging handle to put the CH back to load or reload.

LDFA (Low Drag Forward Assist) is an FCD product from the very beginning in 2015, we made the FA rimless for left hand shooters, or right hand shooters that use ambi charging handles.  Our rationale is because it's a rarely used control, it can afford to become smaller and less obtrusive as it loses a bit of plunger cap surface area.

Attachment Attached File

Jim likes the surface area of his FA on the Mod2 guns.  LSFA is an HDSI and FCD collaboration, it retains the best features both designers wanted.  It has the surface area and very low probability of it snagging on gear, clothing, or fingernail.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey Roger, FDE ano RHFs. I'll buy 3x 13.7s. Welcome to the Lone Star State BTW.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you, we love it so much here
We can now buy firearms to do R&D on, couldn't do that in CA.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#25]
@Duffy Any ETA on when your URF uppers will be available?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Thank you, we love it so much here
We can now buy firearms to do R&D on, couldn't do that in CA.
View Quote

Just don't California my Texas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:00:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By jmreagan:

View Quote

In my opinion, it is noticeably better.  I was a big Seekins bolt catch fan before trying the FCD version.  I was quite skeptical about a lot of the FCD parts initially because of the cost.  I mulled it all over for quite some time and one day finally took the plunge.  You will most likely not be sorry for buying most FCD parts.  My favorites are the safety, bolt catch, castle nut, trigger guard and all the tools they make.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone got a lead on EPCs or looking to sell one or preferably two?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BBOHACH:
Anyone got a lead on EPCs or looking to sell one or preferably two?
View Quote

Get back in line, you

Roger said that they should in stock again soon
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#30]
A small number of black EPCs will be back in stock soon, the rest of the batch with other colors to follow in a month.

So the mods won't lock the thread, we can't turn this into an inventory thread in the tech forum
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#31]
A small number of black EPCs will be back in stock soon, the rest of the batch with other colors to follow in a month.

So the mods won't lock the thread, we can't turn this into an inventory thread in the tech forum
View Quote

I'm Jonesin' man!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Bumping this in the hopes of hints on upper/lower drops. I'm itching to order a couple receiver sets from SOLGW, ADM, or larue, but these would very quickly make their way into my collection.

On a more tech forum related note, the majority of my FCD dimpled parts have come in after sourcing from 3 or so various online vendors. Absolutely gorgeous, and far smaller foot print wise than I expected, in a very good way. Sadly, my order from the FCD mothership has yet to arrive, even though Roger was the first to get it into the mail system, by a LONG shot. Ordered and processed the 9th, and here I sit because of USPS
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#33]
USPS strikes again  

Please email me your order number, or just email me and I'll find it and file a claim with USPS.

If they lost it, we'll replace it, but we need to give them a nudge to get things moving, it's not lost yet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:23:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Roger, are there going to be any od green EPCs in this upcoming batch?  And any word on the LPD release?

This beauty showed up today.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:24:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By AAMP84:
Roger, are there going to be any od green EPCs in this upcoming batch?  And any word on the LPD release?

This beauty showed up today.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50900813577_e348dc9d22_k.jpg
View Quote
I've been scouring all over the place for a duck BCG - nice grab. Here's to hoping they come back in stock.

Tech thread: for yall with a FCD end plate, have you found any advantage to using the QD ports located on the sides? Just messing around with mine for a few minutes and the standard mounting point keeps the sling away from my chin when mounting the gun...but always curious to see other's philosophy of use.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I would love it if y’all did a 12” C4 rail in FDE.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#37]
EPCs will be plenty in a month or so
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

So whos duck's feathers do I have to fluff to get insider knowledge on another live BCG drop?

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Dang, a month? I have refreshed it every day for 3 weeks and that tab is always up on my phone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#40]
We were starting to send some to dealers before we realized some were not assembled and incomplete, so that pushes us back by a bit, but these are just the small batch of 200 all in black EPCs.  The much larger batch is going or has gone to ano, Anodize Solutions is quoting a 3 to 4 weeks lead time, they still have to be assembled and laser engraved after that.  Nothing about the EPC is easy or fast, I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Understand completely. Just looking forward to getting some.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#42]
One of the most painful things I've ever felt is snagging my nail hard on my forward assist. Ever since then, I am very careful when charging with the right side.
When I found out about your low profile for assist, I knew I had to have some. I purchased five, and can't wait to get rid of all of my fingernail catchers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:
One of the most painful things I've ever felt is snagging my nail hard on my forward assist. Ever since then, I am very careful when charging with the right side.
When I found out about your low profile for assist, I knew I had to have some. I purchased five, and can't wait to get rid of all of my fingernail catchers.
View Quote

While running through a stage at a match I jammed the muzzle on a barricade and the open ejection port door jammed almost to the quick on the fingernail of my indexed trigger finger.  

These things can hurt you
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#44]
#serratedgang checking in.

Just installed after receiving my LSFA from AR15Discounts. Not bad.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:04:36 AM EDT
[#45]
The LSFA is pretty nice...can't wait to finish this build.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#46]
For those who have swapped in a FCD forward assist to a built upper, how much of a pain is it to drive out the existing roll pin?

I'm always game to add more Duck to my rifles but some of these FAs are in uppers that have seen thousands of suppressed rounds/general hard-use and I fear the roll pins are gonna be fort knox secure in the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#47]
I’ve removed a few that had been in the uppers for years and none of them were even a little bit difficult to remove.  

I have a carry handle with no sight assembly and I just clamp that in a vice to hold the upper and tap the pin out from the bottom.  I use a flat punch and about a 24oz hammer.  I like a slower swing and a heavier hammer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
For those who have swapped in a FCD forward assist to a built upper, how much of a pain is it to drive out the existing roll pin?

I'm always game to add more Duck to my rifles but some of these FAs are in uppers that have seen thousands of suppressed rounds/general hard-use and I fear the roll pins are gonna be fort knox secure in the receiver.
View Quote

The handful I have removed were not even remotely hard.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#49]
I routinely remove and install FAs on test uppers, the pins are not difficult to remove or install
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Relevant to the duck gang at the Pond: Tag Firearms has the OD and Burnt Bronze Duramags back in stock.

I don't think that I've heard of them in any light over here but over at the Pond (if you know, you know), they say that they're great. I just can't post it in the Pond due to being in Facebook jail again
Page / 32
Forward Controls Design (Page 4 of 32)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top