AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

What product?  There are roughly four being tossed around in this thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:
Put in the order Thursday, I’m still waiting for arrival

What the OP posted.. Ordered Thursday, Confirmation Friday, quiet after that
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]

View All Quotes

Strange.  Mine shipped same day and was accompanied by a personal message by the company.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty easy. I got to put some in and you just pull the front take down pin, slide the feeler gauge in till you get a snug fit, grab coresponding shim and slide it in, use eyeglass screw driver to align and close take down pin. Removes a lit of the pivot play between receivers.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Strange.  Mine shipped same day and was accompanied by a personal message by the company.
View All Quotes

Well guess what was waiting in my mail box after getting home from work.. Wobble BeGone..
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
Pretty easy. I got to put some in and you just pull the front take down pin, slide the feeler gauge in till you get a snug fit, grab coresponding shim and slide it in, use eyeglass screw driver to align and close take down pin. Removes a lit of the pivot play between receivers.
View Quote

Awesome, so glad they worked out for you, and that they were easy to install

What size shim did you end up needing?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:40:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#6]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
As much as the gluing or other methods work...these things stay put unless you want them out....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6045/IMG_1136_jpeg-3179766.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6045/IMG_1137_jpeg-3179767.JPG

Comes with everything you need to fit them to your specific setup. Stays put.  Disassemble whenever and don't worry about losing anything.
View Quote

Hey man, I just wanted to thank you for suggesting the Wheel Diamond Accu-Shim.

I was skeptical it would be better then the receiver tensioning screw, but you sold me on it - and I'm super glad you did.

Mine arrived a day early, and installation was super easy. 2 sets of 25x 1 direction swipes* (not back and forth) across the included sandpaper, and I was able to thin the Accu-Shim to the point that my rear receiver pin could fully insert. Took less then 10 minutes.

--> Wow, super stable. Way better then the receiver tension screw.

The Accu-Shim not only removed the up/down play (12-6 oclock) but as you said, removed any Rotational Play (from say twisting the handguard counterclockwise.) Combined with the Front Pivot Shims I described in the OP, there is now Zero play in any direction - even the most OCD anti wobbler would be satisfied.

For total wobble-free bliss, I really recommend combining the Front Pivot Shims with the Accu-Shim in the rear.

*For those fitting the Accu-Shim, the supplied sandpaper cuts really fast. I did 25x 1-direction swipes at a time, but if I was doing it again I would suggest sets of 10.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

View Quote

Mainly used .005 and .006 but did have one .003 and .004. Couldn't get out all the wobble as it was impossible to shove a really tight shim in the gap. I did not glue them. Keeping the 2 receiver together was much easier than trying to stick the shim to the upper post and then putting the two receivers together. The shims are so thin I was worried about slicing my finger tip open if I tried to shove too tight a shim in.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Well guess what was waiting in my mail box after getting home from work.. Wobble BeGone..
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Mainly used .005 and .006 but did have one .003 and .004. Couldn't get out all the wobble as it was impossible to shove a really tight shim in the gap. I did not glue them. Keeping the 2 receiver together was much easier than trying to stick the shim to the upper post and then putting the two receivers together. The shims are so thin I was worried about slicing my finger tip open if I tried to shove too tight a shim in.
View All Quotes

That makes sense as a concern; perhaps a glove or a bit of tape over your thumb?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Nice.

So what I found when shoving shims into mine, I was able to get a pretty thick combo into the initial crevice between the upper and lower front pivot pin. But then this thick combo would prove to be too thick to make it all the way to the front pivot pin hole. I had to go with a thinner combo to actually make it all the way to the pivot hole.

So for using the Feeler Gauge, make sure that the Gauge can fit all the way to covering the front pivot hole, not just fit in the edge. Whatever that thickness is - the hole covering one - should be the correct thickness for the shim.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 0100010:
Seastrom part A370-903-5, .251" ID, .375" OD, .005" thickness stainless steel shims, pkg of 50.

Great find, thank you.

Only issue is for those like myself with a weird # (.009) gap, which required 2 sizes of shim combined.

For those about to buy shims, might be worth buying a Feeler Gauge and just shoving them into the pivot pin gap to see what thickness is right for your lower/upper combo.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHXJG31?tag=arfcom00-20

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71VDiXHmvzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ordered

Nice.

So what I found when shoving shims into mine, I was able to get a pretty thick combo into the initial crevice between the upper and lower front pivot pin. But then this thick combo would prove to be too thick to make it all the way to the front pivot pin hole. I had to go with a thinner combo to actually make it all the way to the pivot hole.

So for using the Feeler Gauge, make sure that the Gauge can fit all the way to covering the front pivot hole, not just fit in the edge. Whatever that thickness is - the hole covering one - should be the correct thickness for the shim.

Installed mine tonight.  The thickness tool showed a .005 gap when the upper and lower were together but moved to one side.  The shim I had to use was a .002 for the front hole, however.  

My play was really light as the dimensions above indicate, but I wanted to try it anyway.  I did see the comment about the added pressure the shim is now added to the system and it possible causing stress or wear, but my parts all also in spec so not overly concerned.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Installed mine tonight.  The thickness tool showed a .005 gap when the upper and lower were together but moved to one side.  The shim I had to use was a .002 for the front hole, however.  

My play was really light as the dimensions above indicate, but I wanted to try it anyway.  I did see the comment about the added pressure the shim is now added to the system and it possible causing stress or wear, but my parts all also in spec so not overly concerned.
View All Quotes
Seastrom part A370-903-5, .251" ID, .375" OD, .005" thickness stainless steel shims, pkg of 50.

Great find, thank you.

Only issue is for those like myself with a weird # (.009) gap, which required 2 sizes of shim combined.

For those about to buy shims, might be worth buying a Feeler Gauge and just shoving them into the pivot pin gap to see what thickness is right for your lower/upper combo.

Ordered

Nice.

Nice, did the .002 end up eliminating the side to side play? Hoping it proved a worthwhile upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Hey man, I just wanted to thank you for suggesting the Wheel Diamond Accu-Shim.

I was skeptical it would be better then the receiver tensioning screw, but you sold me on it - and I'm super glad you did.

Mine arrived a day early, and installation was super easy. 2 sets of 25x 1 direction swipes* (not back and forth) across the included sandpaper, and I was able to thin the Accu-Shim to the point that my rear receiver pin could fully insert. Took less then 10 minutes.

--> Wow, super stable. Way better then the receiver tension screw.

The Accu-Shim not only removed the up/down play (12-6 oclock) but as you said, removed any Rotational Play (from say twisting the handguard counterclockwise.) Combined with the Front Pivot Shims I described in the OP, there is now Zero play in any direction - even the most OCD anti wobbler would be satisfied.

For total wobble-free bliss, I really recommend combining the Front Pivot Shims with the Accu-Shim in the rear.

https://i.ibb.co/nz2K78s/AR15-LWRC-Shims-Combo.jpg

*For those fitting the Accu-Shim, the supplied sandpaper cuts really fast. I did 25x 1-direction swipes at a time, but if I was doing it again I would suggest sets of 10.
View Quote

Glad to hear this!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Nice, did the .002 end up eliminating the side to side play? Hoping it proved a worthwhile upgrade.
View All Quotes

Great find, thank you.

Ordered

Nice.

It's now ever so slight.  A .003 may have been perfect, but the way I installed it the .002 worked.  The side-to-side wobble is barely evident now.  I was actually fine pre-shim so am just fine with where it is now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:34:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redshift556] [#14]
I'm using the pivot shims on a couple of rifles and they work well. They can be a bit of a pain to install but they do pretty much get rid of the wobble. Wish I would've known about the glue when I bought them though. I took one of my shimmed rifles apart to clean and messed up a couple of the shims on re-assembly. After a few beers the shims really become a PITA Still a good product from a great company.

Wheel diamond national match shim is my favorite.  I have them on every AR that needs it, which basically is every one I have that doesn't use a SOLGW upper.

That thing is solid on every lower I've tried.
View Quote

These look excellent, going to order a couple. Thank you for posting this.

EDIT: Has anyone been able to order the wheeler diamond shims? I keep on getting an error message when clicking the "buy now" button.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve alway used Mega lowers with the set style screw you access with the grip off.  They take up the slack with adjustable tension and also work great with any upper.  No parts to get lost etc.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:50:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Redshift556:
I'm using the pivot shims on a couple of rifles and they work well. They can be a bit of a pain to install but they do pretty much get rid of the wobble. Wish I would've known about the glue when I bought them though. I took one of my shimmed rifles apart to clean and messed up a couple of the shims on re-assembly. After a few beers the shims really become a PITA Still a good product from a great company.

EDIT: Has anyone been able to order the wheeler diamond shims? I keep on getting an error message when clicking the "buy now" button.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Redshift556:

Wheel diamond national match shim is my favorite.  I have them on every AR that needs it, which basically is every one I have that doesn't use a SOLGW upper.

That thing is solid on every lower I've tried.

I just ordered another 3 as spares / for future builds (that's how much I like the one I installed.)

This is the link to use for checkout, which also offers choice of 1-2-3 packs of shims.

http://www.wheeldiamond.com/NationalMatchShim.htm

Hope that works for you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:58:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mc556:
I’ve alway used Mega lowers with the set style screw you access with the grip off.  They take up the slack with adjustable tension and also work great with any upper.  No parts to get lost etc.
View Quote

My LWRC lower had a similar tension screw system. It worked pretty well for the eliminating the up/down play (6-12 oclock) but would eventually get a little loose and a bit of wobble would come back.

It didn't help for the side to side (3-9 oclock) play at the front pivot pin, which is what the Pivot Shims solved. And it didn't help for me on eliminating the Rotational Play of the upper being able to wiggle a little counter clockwise when I would tork the handguard with my left hand..

The Wheel Diamond shim completely zero'd out any vertical and rotational play for me, a lot more stable then the tension screw on the LWRC. Paired with the Pivot Shims the rifle is completley devoid of play or wobble, it feels like the upper and lower and one solid part now.

No effect on performance, but so much more satisfying to hold and dryfire now.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Update on the Wheeler diamond shim. Just got them in the mail today and spent about 45min fitting one of them to a rifle with a very loose upper/lower fit. This upper/lower had a ton of vertical and horizontal play.

The Wheeler diamond shim removed 100% of the verticle play and about 95% of the horizontal play. I could've left it a little bit tighter and gotten rid of the horizontal play completely but I opted for easier disassembly. Very happy the shim, it's a tight fit in the upper and won't fall out on it's own. For $8 it's a 10/10.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top