Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2009 10:11:02 AM EDT

For the longest time, I’ve been against the idea of adding a bipod to a tactical carbine or rifle. I thought “why in the world do you need a bi-pod on a gun that you’re likely only going to shoot out to 400m?” Going to solid-braced prone, breathing and quickly placing a well aimed shot out to 400m is accomplished through practice. So, why do I need a vertical foregrip with an extendable leg that doubles as a bi-pod?

Quickly fast-forward to 2009, during a visit to a group of go-fast guys near San Diego, I saw this Mk18 SBR with a Grip Pod on it. I jokingly asked the owner when in the world would you have the opportunity to deploy the bipod so you can make a distant shot? The gun won’t even reach out that far…!!!  He looked over at me and said “let’s do a quick qual from 50m against a 10” steel plate, with 3x magazines with five rounds each. We will time it and see who finishes first.”  On the first try, I get smoked, but I’m not really surprised.  After all, those guys shoot for a living and they shoot more rounds in a month than I could in a year. So he gives me a one-second handicap. Again, I lose. Then I ask to try this test again, now focus more on his techniques than try to beat him. I notice with the handicap, I am almost even with him to the five shot kneeling, but his start to even up the shot placement during the kneeling phase, and as soon as we hit the dirt during the prone phase, he just takes over.

My friend placed a GripPod on my M4. He gives me some pointers on how to deploy the Grip Pod. I practiced with this contraption a few times and made sure I was able to utilize it, and then we did the test again. The one second handicap was still in effect, but this time I was able to pretty much even up to his time.  That’s when a light bulb started to come on in my tiny little brain and I noticed that with the Grip Pod, I didn’t have to go into the braced prone and position my body in order to gain that sight picture. With the GripPod, I was able to drop to the standard prone position with the Pod deployed and get right to shooting at my target. The red dot came right to my eyes, and the sight picture was acquired that much faster.

My friend told me he doesn’t consider the Grip Pod to be a bipod, but more like a weapon stabilization device.  He began to explain how the GripPod is more of a stabilizer that he utilizes as a VFG most of the time.  However, when it comes time to go prone (and he said he’s gone prone often in his time in the sandbox), he can utilize the Pod to help with placing a quick-engagement shot on target that might be 100m away or just a block down the street. The Pod can then be retracted with one hand if he continues to move or just leave it deployed.  The Pod not only helps with prone shooting, but when placing a rifle over the parapet off the roof, a jagged wall, or any position that requires placing the rifle on a surface, he utilizes the Grip Pod to help with stabilizing the weapons platform.  He even runs his MK48MOD 1 with the Grip Pod.  Although GripPod makes a SAW/LMG (Squad Automatic Weapon/Light Machine Gun) version, he utilizes the standard military GripPod on his MK48.  The Grip Pod displays its ability to enhance the weapon system even more on a LMG/SAW, as the operator no longer has to worry about deploying a bipod one leg at a time, or worry about the legs getting in the way while he’s moving and shooting. He can simply deploy the Pod when he needs it.  The rest of the time, the Pod’s fast-deploy legs are completely out of the way.  Bottom line, the Grip Pod is never as intrusive as the bipod on the Mk48.  Adding to the Grip Pod’s advantage it’s relatively light weight, considering its internal components and capabilities.  The military-version Grip Pod is actually 2oz less than a VFG with the quick-release attachment. His team even runs the GripPod on their RECCE rifles where it doubles as a bipod and a VFG.

Anyway, I bought a Grip Pod from an internet dealer; I bought the military-version Grip Pod with a steel insert inside the legs.  When placed next to a KAC VFG, the Grip Pod is about an inch longer, but the overall bulk is increased, but nothing alarming, especially when compared to a Surefire M900, the GripPod is actually shorter in length and much lighter.  The Grip Pod is only 6 ounces (6oz) heavier than a standard plastic VFG, but 2 ounces (2oz) lighter than a QD VFG.  And, it’s still smaller than a Surefire M900 in size.  I’ve been utilizing the Grip Pod with a Surefire M600 Scout light on my Colt LE6940 carbine, lately.  This package is lighter and more compact than a standard VFG, Light, and bipod combo.

I would never have thought a Grip Pod would be required on a carbine, and it just looked ugly to me. But after months of use, I’ve changed my mind about it.  The GripPod has grown on me.  The more I use it, the more I like the capability and performance enhancement added to my lowly shooting skills.  The Pod allows me to place shots faster when going prone, and its bulk seems to disappear over time.  The Grip Pod comes in particularly handy when I shoot my 3 gun matches, as I’m able to move from position to position quickly and deploy the Pod whenever necessary. It is just fast, fast, and fast!

So, do I like it? For me, it’s a mostly “yes” answer. I’d like to see if its design can be streamlined a bit more.  I’d remove the wingnut and replace it with another locking solution, since I grip high on my VFG and the wingnut gets in the way a bit. Not too often has a product that I initially disliked changed my opinion so radically, but the Grip Pod has definitely made a deep impression on my weapon setup.  I wouldn’t use it as a sniper rifle bipod, but on a short carbine, or even a perimeter rifle, the GripPod is a great addition.  

The Grip Pod is a viable design and a definite performance enhancer for any type of dynamic shooting, including combat and competition shooting.  This is evidenced by the millions of Grip Pods already purchased by the U.S. Army, Marines, Navy, and Air Force.  The Grip Pod’s service-wide acceptance and acquisition history is also evidence that this is not a fly-by-night product.  The Grip Pod, ungainly looking as it may be at first glance, is a product with a valuable purpose and bright future in modern military small arms deployment.  Will I continue to use it?  YES!

Link Posted: 12/3/2009 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
My sentiments exactly.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Good write up and thanks for the pics too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
nicely written. a family member who is in the marines showed one to me.. i have been wondering about getting one ever since. I think you just about made my mind up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I am issued one, don't ever use it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
crishel...I am still waiting...

Link Posted: 12/3/2009 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I see this is on about 6 different gun forums including as an article for defense review. Do you have a gig as a paid writer now?

Fail zero clip you have on youtube is pretty cool

Aimless, Lol, just 4!

no, no such luck yet. Maybe someone would give me an opportunity someday. But likely have to better my grammar skill

Until then, just taking pictures for the love of the hobby.

The failedzero video was done since a lot of so call sand test were all done with ejection port door open and facing down. I just want to do one with it open and face up so all the sand actually get into the bolt carrier
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Until 87GN beats one with a hammer.... I'm not interested.....

I had one given to me....I traded it for a pair of pants....

I've seen SEALs run a Trijicon Reflex... didn't make me want one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2009 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#12]
My biggest gripe with the grip pod as a bipod is tht it is not adjustable in any way for cant, so it forces your rifle to not be level on an uneven surface.  It would be cool if they could figure out a way to do something along the lines of... deploy pod with the rifle level just above an uneven surface with the button held and the legs pop out and are not completely deployed but conform to that surface... then you release the deployment button and the legs lock in that position.  You could sacrifice the strenght of fully deployed legs for a level rifle.  It would be a lot better than forcing a rifle to be held canted on pretty much any surface you encounter other than flat groupnd or a bench.  Sure canting has minimal effect at close range; however, at long range I would prefer no bipod over one that forces the rifle to be canted.  I can see this as really great on a SAW to controll full auto... on an precision rifle, M4, or SBR I am happy to go without at this point or use a QD Harris when I know I will be needing a bipod.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I have never been on a two-way range, but it would seem that this device potentially exposes the operator substantially when employed over the top of a cover point as illustrated above?
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I found this on the other section of the Forum...

by the owner of GripPOD...

Quoted:
Hope this helps guys the legs are 3 position adjustable, and in the no extended position it looks just like a non adjustable  military grip pod.

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]
As a guy who grew up shooting the M-1 Garand, I really have no use for a vertical grip;  it seems very unnatural to hold a rifle that way, since the front hand is holding the rifle rather than supporting it.  The grip pod on the other hand, is simply too cool for words.  If you are going to have a VFG anyway, why not have one that doubles as a bipod?  (other than it might be a bit too tall)
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Rats! I was going to buy one after Christmas. Now everybody is going to be sold out come January. Thanks alot, SMG Lee!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#19]
You're comparing a Harris bipod mounted closer to the receiver with a grip pod mounted at the end of the rail...Admittedly, the difference will be small, but... How many Grip-pod users have their unit at that location on a carbine? What is that, B36?

Link Posted: 12/5/2009 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I just got one for my M16. Just insert a BETA-C and deploy the grippod and it makes for instant LMG capablity. m4whore
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You're comparing a Harris bipod mounted closer to the receiver with a grip pod mounted at the end of the rail...Admittedly, the difference will be small, but... How many Grip-pod users have their unit at that location on a carbine? What is that, B36?

Imagine the Grip Pod at the same location as the Harris. The difference in height appears to be too close to matter.

Link Posted: 12/5/2009 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Imagine the Grip Pod at the same location as the Harris. The difference in height appears to be too close to matter.

Link Posted: 12/5/2009 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been using one for a long time. I am just a Go-Slow dude from Texas.

Link Posted: 12/5/2009 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hope this answers concerns about the Military adopted Grip Pod being too tall deployed... The Grip Pod is pictured next to a  popular harris bipod,  on a  rifle with standard rail system, this harris  model,, is I believe next to the shortest one harris makes. As you can see clearly see  the grip pods legs are up in the air  and not touching the floor compared to the harris legs, which are both touching and the harris leggs are not extended . Hope this helps guys
http://i48.tinypic.com/2qjy73d.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2j42249.jpg

That is a 9-13 Harris, rather than a 6-9; just look at the straight length of spring at the top end.  

Swap positions of the Grip-Pod and Harris, and see which ones legs are in the air.    

Link Posted: 12/5/2009 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I was against grip pods at first as well. Then I was issued one and even started running one on my SAW. I wasn't sure if I'd like that at first, but with the para barrel and collapsable stock, it makes my SAW a nice relatively handy package. I liked it so much I just plain took off the standard steel bipod since I just never used it. A number of the other gunners in my platoon are following suit. It stands up at an incredible amount of abuse as well, and this is just the regular plastic one,not the .mil one with steel inserts though we are trying to get some of them from supply for us gunners just in case. It's some good kit, I like it alot. I now have them on my personal M4gery and XCR as well, great kit!

Steve
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Please don't take my previous post negatively.  You seemed to be making a height comparison to a product with which many folks are familiar, but also did so with a somewhat unusual camera angle; we can't all be as good with a camera as Chen.    

While I am not a particularly big fan of VFG's in general, I do use bipods a fair bit.  If the opportunity to T&E a GripPod presents itself, I'll gladly give it a go.
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Renegadex nice looking weapon how do like the aac can it looks to be the perfect size on that gun

Works great, it was a custom build as I could not find anyone who was making it at the time. I think Noveske is now. 12.5 inch BBL on 9 Rail, using AAC SPR/M4 which comes back 2.5" over the BBL.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
NUCADET07 FIrst thank you for you service to the country,, and it means more to us than anything, to hear the thumbs up about our patented  Grip Pod from our fighting men in all the services. We do make a special SAW 249 model Grip Pod  which differs in a few small differences .The same space age polyemer grip portion is used but   We replaced the gpso2 military m16 model stainless steel legs with 7075T6 Aluminum legs and encapsulalator ring which almost doubles  the strength for the harsh use the saw puts into the bipod because of the 3 times weight difference from an m16 if you utilize a 200 combat pack of 556. The GPS O1SAW is the model we recommend for the saw But for m16m4 ,m16a4,m16a2,our GPS O2 is the adopted item Again thank you for you post as we do hear this and it really means more than you can imagine thanks Again G.P.S Systems

No problem, I've no problem saying a product is good if it works. If it's junk I'll say it too *cough*Elcan M145*cough* The SAW gri sounds interesting, sadly I don't think my unit will ever get them since we've already got the 02 models and higher tends to not see the difference in such things. Oh well, I'll use this one untill I break it and then I'll find another one and use that untill I break it as well etc..

Steve
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top