Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2012 9:24:01 AM EDT
First off, if you have never even seen one of these in person, I do not care for your opinion.

Too many people see UTG and immediately want to say it is terrible, though they have no experience with it. I'm thinking about buying one for my rifle, and was wondering about the quality. I've heard these are being made in the USA which is a huge plus, but I'm looking for a little more information. Any experiences  with it would be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, I am using JRS at work right now and can't search for the other threads.  But they are getting good reviews from people who have handled them.  I like the looks of them myself and will probably use one on my 18" bull barrel build when I get around to completing it.

Try doing a Google search with AR15.com and UTG pro as the search items and you will probably be able to find the threads.  I know we have covered them here more than once with some good comparisons to other rails in the threads.

Good luck.  

eta:

I did find this one just playing around.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/547963_interesting_design_change_on_UTG_rails___anyone_have_first_hand_experience_.html
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen them on s&w factory rifles recently.  Does that give them cred now?
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
They are legit.

I won't say they are the best of all, because they are not.  I will say in all honesty that I don't think they have ANY competition in their respective price range.  
I installed the 13" PRO model on one of my carbines after a previous very positive review from arfcommer dogbutter.  I recently thanked him for the words of advice because he told the truth about them.
It is one of the best bang for your buck type products that I can recall in recent memory.  In my humble opinion it is as good or better than a lot of rails at twice it's price point.

The rail itself came equipped with decent hardware.  The 13" model is actually a smidgen over 12.5" in total length.  It is lightweight, slim, and machined very, very well.  The anodized finish looks to be on par with everything else.  My particular 13" example is equipped with 8 limited rotation QD swivel sockets.  The mounting system is fairly robust and uses the same standard barrel nut wrench that you would use to take the stock one off.  

If I had a few complaints I would list them as follows:
The rail will come equipped with rubber rail covers.  They honestly could leave them out.  They are heavy, bulky, and generally look like shit.  I chose to leave them off
The rail is rough on the bare hands.  Not necessarily any rougher than others, just the price of admission for a fully railed......well, rail.  
While I like the mounting system I think it would have been even better if they had allowed for beefier screws.  They tried to make it as light as possible, and did a damn fine job.  But I would give up a few ounces...."just cause".

Other than the small quibbles that I listed I can't find fault with it.  It looks pretty good, and was an absolute bargain at the $100 price point I gave for it.

I also own a 15" MI Gen2 SS that I like very much.  I wouldn't be scared to directly compare the two.  It is that good.  I like the MI more simply because I prefer the tube style.  But in all honesty the fit and finish is fairly equal between the two.....which is very good.

Please excuse the bad pics....
rail
rail
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a rifle length.  Liked it so much, I bought a carbine length.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
What's one of them sumbitches weigh?

For some reason these keep catching my eye.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a carbine drop in UTG Pro 9 months ago.  It locked on tight, was easy to install and was functional.  It was a little on the heavy side but that is the only complaint I had with it.  I did replace it for a MOE rail.

I really did not like the covers and took them off after this picture.

Now
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I bought a carbine drop in UTG Pro 9 months ago.  It locked on tight, was easy to install and was functional.  It was a little on the heavy side but that is the only complaint I had with it.  I did replace it for a MOE rail.

I really did not like the covers and took them off after this picture.
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa360/cjscore/M4Carbine.jpg

Now
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa360/cjscore/IMG_0101.jpg

Just to make sure everybody is on the same page I would like people to be aware that the UTG Pro free-float and the UTG Pro drop-in like this OP's are completely different.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The 13" UTG Pro free-float weighs 15.6 oz.  It is light and I can vouch for that.
UTG Pro
The Mid-length weighs 12oz.
As seen HERE
And the Carbine model weighs 9.9oz.
And that's this one..
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a utg carbine drop in it was out of spec crushed my handgaurd cap when trying to install it. went to sposrtsman's warehouse found a fireflight quad rail they said it was free floating well it was sort of it wiggled off after 200 rounds went to a local gun shop and found a DD omega 7 for 180 bucks best money spent on that rifle. and thats why I have a problem with UTG

btw I have since changed again to a troy trx extreme also I have a UTG rubber grip that would loosen on it is own
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 2:54:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a utg carbine drop in it was out of spec crushed my handgaurd cap when trying to install it. went to sposrtsman's warehouse found a fireflight quad rail they said it was free floating well it was sort of it wiggled off after 200 rounds went to a local gun shop and found a DD omega 7 for 180 bucks best money spent on that rifle. and thats why I have a problem with UTG

btw I have since changed again to a troy trx extreme also I have a UTG rubber grip that would loosen on it is own

No doubt.  That's why a lot of people have issues with UTG.  That's why a lot of people will not give them the chance.

That's why I felt it was necessary to inform the good folks on this board that the UTG Pro free-float is completely different from any of their other products including their drop in rails.

I am glad you like the extreme, it's a fine rail.  That being said I would have no trouble putting a UTG Pro free-float up against it.  The quality will be neck and neck, only the UTG will be $100 or more cheaper.  And I'm not saying the Troy isn't excellent.......it very much is.  I am just saying that from my experience the new UTG Pro stuff IS that good.

It's good enough that Smith & Wesson have it as standard equipment on their guns with the rails.  

edited for spelling**
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 4:52:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 13" UTG Pro free-float weighs 15.6 oz.  It is light and I can vouch for that.
UTG Pro
As seen HERE
And that's this one..

Not bad.  My URX 3.1 weighs 14oz, but pricewise it's in a whole different ball game.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UTG Pro
As seen HERE
And that's this one..

Not bad.  My URX 3.1 weighs 14oz, but pricewise it's in a whole different ball game.

That URX is SWEET though!!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#13]
nice thread, great info. It's too bad the free float products need removal of the end cap, in addition to removal of the delta ring, FSB, FH, etc.

This makes it a harder install than say DD Omega's, Centurion, and even MI's.

So it's a bit odd that they're going for the low end, while needing a lot more 'smithing than some higher end ones.

I'm talking about the US made FF products, not the drop-ins.
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
nice thread, great info. It's too bad the free float products need removal of the end cap, in addition to removal of the delta ring, FSB, FH, etc.

So it's a bit odd that they're going for the low end, while needing a lot more 'smithing than some higher end ones.

Any one piece FF will always require removal of all that, which I'm sure you already know. Just info for the noobies.

I do have one of their 13" rails. I really like it. IMHO I find it light weight and pretty thin. Only two things I need to say about install.
1) Make sure you tighten the screws evenly on both sides or you end up with a crooked rail
2) throw out the supplied rail covers. If you put them on it is like holding a sub sandwich in your hand. Buy some ladder covers instead.
BTW it was a very straight forward install and the barrel nut lined up easily. I got mine off Amazon for $79
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Really appreciate all the responses guys
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
First off, if you have never even seen one of these in person, I do not care for your opinion.

Too many people see UTG and immediately want to say it is terrible, though they have no experience with it. I'm thinking about buying one for my rifle, and was wondering about the quality. I've heard these are being made in the USA which is a huge plus, but I'm looking for a little more information. Any experiences  with it would be great. Thanks

I have 3 drop-in and 3 free-floats, rifle and carbine in both lengths. They are well made, easy to install and rock solid. Nothing not to like. I also have Yankee Hill, Midwest, Samson and Knights. Unless a railed forend has some awesome feature I have to have, UTG fills my needs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bought a rifle length.  Liked it so much, I bought a carbine length.  

That's the free float of course.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 4:53:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I own the rifle length and can not see one problem with it. Easy to install, looks sexy and has not budged in 1250 rounds.  I can see these going up in price once more people find out that these new usa made ones are great and for the price you can't beat them!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I just wish they made some a 2 pc carbine FF to give MI some competition. The anodizing and paint over my FSB is too new and nice to scratch up

Quoted:
I own the rifle length and can not see one problem with it. Easy to install, looks sexy and has not budged in 1250 rounds.  I can see these going up in price once more people find out that these new usa made ones are great and for the price you can't beat them!!!

Link Posted: 5/26/2012 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I've never scratched a good barrel removing the FSB.
Here's mine.

Link Posted: 5/26/2012 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's the nature of the FF tube design.  Some of those parts are no longer needed, or don't help in producing a stable means to mount the rail on.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I didn't scratch barrel either with removal of dring and gas block.

There g2g in my book.

Good luck in ur decision
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I used a rifle length on my dedicated 22 upper build.  quality was very good and it was very light.  I liked that it had the same profile as my daniel defense rail.  it is more oval than round.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 4:46:37 AM EDT
[#24]
UTG rail on my DPMS is perfectly fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top