Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2012 4:00:10 AM EDT
I ordered one of these from Troy using the Black Friday Coupon (13 inch for $151, free shipping), but am wondering if I should have looked around more before pulling the trigger.  This is my first rail, and as all my guns were using standard M4 or MOE handgaurds.

How solid are the mounting mechanisms and is there any chance it can torque off the barrel nut (I would think not since the gas tube sits in the teeth of the barrel nut, but just asking)?

thanks

ETA:  Pics of your Troy Alpha are encouraged

ETA2:  This is going on top rifle

ETA:  Installed!  

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:03:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Rock solid, one of the best rails out there.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:18:29 AM EDT
[#2]
i dont think there are any cons. i love mine.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you cutting down your FSB or replacing with a low pro gas block?

Edit: just saw your other post with cut down FSB.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rock solid, one of the best rails out there.

+1 These rails are the bomb
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Love mine to death. Ive got two a 13 on my 14.5 pinned and a 15 on my 18 in SPR. IWC makes some great accessories to that dont add needless bulk to it. You wont be dissappointed. the only con i can think of is that they heat up after extended firing. so either get the squid grips or use gloves
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I love mine.

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:49:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish they made better panel options that actually protect your hands from heat better than the squid grips.  Something like bolt on or snap panels similar to the KAC urx III, or noveske nsr.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I like mine. Zero complaints with the rail itself but I do echo other's feelings on the Squid Grips.

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Any problems with mounting these on a shaved FSB? Not sure if I wanna have a smith do it (if they can) or buy a new block.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I"ve  installed them over cut-down FSB's, no problem.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad to hear, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any problems with mounting these on a shaved FSB? Not sure if I wanna have a smith do it (if they can) or buy a new block.

If youve got a dremel, do the fsb yourself. I did mine, didnt even take it off the barrel. Just go slow in areas where you could accidentally hit the barrel or cut into the gas tube area and youll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#14]
That's the thing, I don't have the tools to do so. Plus I'm more of the butcher, bull in a china shop type.

I'll probably ask on a local forum. I prefer learning rather than plopping down a credit card.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 1:59:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 2:28:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't used an Alpha rail yet, but I've used a few other Troy's other rails, and they've always performed great.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got my 15" alpha rail, feels good and after all the reviews about it, i bought it, and for me i dont need the quad rail for all the stuff, just a bipod or afg will be used.

Also very light for 15"

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 4:22:51 AM EDT
[#18]
bump w/ post-install pic
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks nice.  It will get hot if you run it hard.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:13:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks good.

DD front sight?  I have one.  I like it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I love mine but during a carbine class once we started to run the guns hard, you better have some gloves on.
the smaller od is why I was originally attracted to these rails.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know if there are any cons either.

I love my Alpha Rail.

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 15" and an 11"

The only con I see, is if you want to mount anything with the rail panels, they are a bitch to put on, and if you want a light, front sight, or anything else, mounting has to get creative to keep the slim, streamlined profile that I love.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Love my VTAC alpha -

The lockup on my Spikes ST-15 is super solid. I have a cut down front sight post that I cut without taking it off the barrel. You do have to shave it down and contour it pretty good for it to fit, but it's doable. As the rest have said, the only possible downside is that heat can build up after a lot of rounds. Although, to provide some perspective, I've run 5 mags through in pretty rapid succession and still been able to hold the rail bare handed. You really have to be running it hard.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks good.

I am debating the Troy or Samson Evolution. I am also debating the 11" or 13".

What I am considering using this for is a BCM 14.5" that is literally identical to what you started out with except I have a CTR instead of the Sopmod you have. Not sure if I will keep the Larue rear and get a front like you are using or change to flip sights. I will most likely be using an mini red dot and Larue mount.

How do you like the DD front sight?

I have used the LMT fixed front sight. That is the only rail height fixed sight I have had. And I have never used anything other than quad rails. I am over them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Love mine.

I've gone from being a DD rail Nazi to Troy rails.

See pic in post below...
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Wearing my new Haley Strategic WML...

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/MP0117/IMG_7425-1.jpg

Does the BUIS get in the way an manupulating the light? especially since its momentary only?
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/MP0117/IMG_7425-1.jpg

Does the BUIS get in the way an manupulating the light? especially since its momentary only?

Not at all.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#30]
The only negative is that they get so hot so quick. This necessitates either shooting with gloves or a VFG. I put a VFG on mine because I enjoy the upright hand position anyway, and it's QD if I feel like shooting with gloves on.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The only negative is that they get so hot so quick. This necessitates either shooting with gloves or a VFG. I put a VFG on mine because I enjoy the upright hand position anyway, and it's QD if I feel like shooting with gloves on.

There was a thread here where a guy mounted Troy rail covers directly to the Alpha (not mounted rail sections, and then mounted the covers to those.  He really mounted them directly onto the tube).  It looked really good, he said they were solid, and it kept the low profile nature of the Alpha.  Ill see if I can find the thread when I get to a computer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought one of the first TRX Alpha Extreme 13" rails from ADCO when they came out. The handguard kept slipping off of the barrel nut after 100-150 rounds of fire. Troy sent new mounting hardware and it did not solve the problem. They finally asked me to return my entire upper so they could check it out for themselves. They found that the handguard was out of spec and had to replace it. Really pissed me off as I had the handguard hydrodipped in multicam for a custom build.

They are returning the upper with a new TRX 13" installed and tested for slippage tomorrow. Troy has pissed me off since they will not reimburse me for my refinishing but gave me a BS $120 credit for future merch.

Regardless if it will work or not, I am going back to my larue 13.2

Troy has lost my business for good. I like the weight and feel of the rail, but cannot trust my life on it after it failed at a Costa Ludus carbine 2 class.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#33]
love mine as well.  

on my 6.8

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Is that a 13" rail with a 16" barrel?

I like the looks of that, which is why I am considering an 11" rail with my 14.5" barrel. I don't really like the rail to go all the way to the flash hider.

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Debated long enough. Just ordered an 11" Troy for my 14.5" BCM.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm considering a 11" Alpha with built-in flip-up sight.  Any problems (height-wise) using this with the MBUS rear sight I already have on the rifle?

thanks, Dave
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a thread here where a guy mounted Troy rail covers directly to the Alpha (not mounted rail sections, and then mounted the covers to those.  He really mounted them directly onto the tube).  It looked really good, he said they were solid, and it kept the low profile nature of the Alpha.  Ill see if I can find the thread when I get to a computer.

Please post when you find it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I bought one of the first TRX Alpha Extreme 13" rails from ADCO when they came out. The handguard kept slipping off of the barrel nut after 100-150 rounds of fire. Troy sent new mounting hardware and it did not solve the problem. They finally asked me to return my entire upper so they could check it out for themselves. They found that the handguard was out of spec and had to replace it. Really pissed me off as I had the handguard hydrodipped in multicam for a custom build.

They are returning the upper with a new TRX 13" installed and tested for slippage tomorrow. Troy has pissed me off since they will not reimburse me for my refinishing but gave me a BS $120 credit for future merch.

Regardless if it will work or not, I am going back to my larue 13.2

Troy has lost my business for good. I like the weight and feel of the rail, but cannot trust my life on it after it failed at a Costa Ludus carbine 2 class.

That sucks but a $120 credit seems reasonable.  How much was the refinish?  
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad.  I forgot to look.

Ill definitely check when I get home from work in the morning.

Link Posted: 12/13/2012 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#40]
To answer a previous question-  there's a stopper lug on the receiver end of the rail- it would be impossible for it to torque off the barrel nut with this lug totally blocking rotation.

I suppose of your nut were loose, you could tighten it with the rail if the gas tube wasn't in place :D

-Dave
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Looks good.

I am debating the Troy or Samson Evolution. I am also debating the 11" or 13".

What I am considering using this for is a BCM 14.5" that is literally identical to what you started out with except I have a CTR instead of the Sopmod you have. Not sure if I will keep the Larue rear and get a front like you are using or change to flip sights. I will most likely be using an mini red dot and Larue mount.

How do you like the DD front sight?

I have used the LMT fixed front sight. That is the only rail height fixed sight I have had. And I have never used anything other than quad rails. I am over them.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/STAGCOMP016.jpg

what the the rail system on that gun? also will it fit over a cut down sight post?
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 3:14:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad.  I forgot to look.

Ill definitely check when I get home from work in the morning.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=2&f=397&t=223232
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I like the looks of that, which is why I am considering an 11" rail with my 14.5" barrel. I don't really like the rail to go all the way to the flash hider.

sure is.

im going to do the same on my 5.56, but i will be doing an FDE rail on that upper.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm considering a 11" Alpha with built-in flip-up sight.  Any problems (height-wise) using this with the MBUS rear sight I already have on the rifle?

thanks, Dave

Won't be a problem bud. AR irons height is pretty standardized, with the only exception I can think of being the Troy Micros.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure is.

im going to do the same on my 5.56, but i will be doing an FDE rail on that upper.  

Sweet! My 11" should be here Monday. Cut the FSB  and delta ring yesterday. Just waiting on the mail.

Out of curiosity, how do you guy clean your upper after chopping the FSB and delta ring? I forgot to wrap it up and so everything got covered in debris from the cutting. I wiped a lot off with an oily rag. But when I slid the BCG and ch handle back into the upper it was very gritty. I know I will have to spray it down with something and blow it out with the air compressor. Only thing I can think of is to buy a can of aerosol clp and drown it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure is.

Sweet! My 11" should be here Monday. Cut the FSB  and delta ring yesterday. Just waiting on the mail.

Out of curiosity, how do you guy clean your upper after chopping the FSB and delta ring? I forgot to wrap it up and so everything got covered in debris from the cutting. I wiped a lot off with an oily rag. But when I slid the BCG and ch handle back into the upper it was very gritty. I know I will have to spray it down with something and blow it out with the air compressor. Only thing I can think of is to buy a can of aerosol clp and drown it.

Rub dirt on it.

I think compressed air is a good option.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm a fan

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 7:21:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Christmas came early!

Rail showed this morning. Will be tomorrow before I can put it on.

Mine will look almost identical to the above except with a 14.5" barrel and I am using a Larue mount instead of DD. I love the color of furniture on that. Never been crazy about the various greens or FDE. But the gray looks good.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top