Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2014 9:52:11 PM EDT
Currently I'm running a 9.5" Geissele MK4  And love it but need something longer and as light as possible.
Considering keymod.

Torn between Noveske NSR or Midwest Industries SSK

Open to other suggestions though.
Thanks y'all

Edit: added weights of suggestions:

Fortis Rev -
Length: 12
Weight: 9.2oz
Inside Diameter: 1.340"

Noveske NSR -
Length: 13.5"
Weight: 11 Oz
HANDGUARD WEIGHT:7.9oz.
BARREL NUT WEIGHT:3.1 oz.
Inside diameter: 1.48"

https://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/267626e620e9d7e06c5c04a4382f6fbf.jpg

Midwest Industries SSK -
Length: 12"
Weight: 8.5oz With Barrel nut
Outside diameter: 1.5"

Geissele SMR MK IV (4) -
Length: 13"
Weight:  12.7 oz (with Barrel nut)
Inside diameter

SLR Solo -
Length: 13"
Weight: 11oz
Inside Diameter: 1.3"

CMR 5.56 Rail
Length: 12"
Weight: 10.7oz with barrel nut and hardware
Width: 1.56(body of tube) 1.75 (at QD sling swivels)
Height: 1.995

Link Posted: 1/1/2014 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
NSR.  Excellent rail you will be happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#2]
NSR if your looking for a cheaper option  samson evolution
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Also was considering the geissele MK3 if anyone has experience with that one. Need to compare weight of MK3 NSR and SSK
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my NSRs. I never realized the benefit of the small diameter rail until running the NSR.

If you want something similar, there is a nice handguard from Parallax Tactical. It has received generally favorable reviews. I will opt for these on my secondary build next.

Weapon Outfitters resells them....

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m-16-parts/upper-receivers-and-parts/rail-systems/parallax-tactical-keymod-ffssr.html

Best of luck on your decision.

Oh, and Strike Industries has a great price for their keymod rail segments, 2 pieces for $20. They have been solid and of exceptional fit and finish...

http://strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/rifle-enhancements/2pcs-polymer-5-slot-keymod-short-rail-section.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...need something longer and as light as possible.
View Quote

Have you considered the Fortis Rev?

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=ar15forearmsystems_fortismfg

Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely impressed with MI.  Super lightweight.  Very good fit.  I know the mounting system is supposed to be robust when mounted correctly and mine has given me ZERO issues.

That being said, my next one will probably be the NSR.  The mounting system on the MI may be acceptable, but I find the NSR superior.  If absolute lightweight is the what you're after the MI will be the answer.

You sir, have 2 great options to pick from out of your choices.  MI customer support is second to none.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=ar15forearmsystems_fortismfg

https://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/c2d6c9c87a9ca90f9b95fddfb3751d2f.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/c2d6c9c87a9ca90f9b95fddfb3751d2f.jpg

No I haven't, but I like the QD mounts and rail on the bottom. I'll look up the weight
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Absolutely impressed with MI.  Super lightweight.  Very good fit.  I know the mounting system is supposed to be robust when mounted correctly and mine has given me ZERO issues.

That being said, my next one will probably be the NSR.  The mounting system on the MI may be acceptable, but I find the NSR superior.  If absolute lightweight is the what you're after the MI will be the answer.

You sir, have 2 great options to pick from out of your choices.  MI customer support is second to none.
View Quote

The weight is what attracted me to the SSK, glad to hear a good report from it. Yes the mounting system does seem a bit less secure than the NSR and is certainly a factor to consider. Thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Centurion.  Love love love.  I like the idea of using the milspec barrel nut.  And they're absurdly light.  Look into them, seriously.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No I haven't, but I like the QD mounts and rail on the bottom. I'll look up the weight
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of pics and info in these threads:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/597082_Fortis_REV____Free_Floating_Handguard___12__Special_Intro_Price__179_95_.html

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/609603_Fortis_REV__Free_Floating_Rail_System___14.html

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=609705&page=1

And one of Stickman's:

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 2:55:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the 14" REV and love it. Btw, it uses the standard barrel nut so the weight you have listed is correct.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Centurion.  Love love love.  I like the idea of using the milspec barrel nut.  And they're absurdly light.  Look into them, seriously.
View Quote

Do you have the CMR?  Been thinking a lot about it lately but don't know many people who have them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#13]
SLR 13" best I have found for price point and features I wanted.

Wanted keymod on sides
Wanted uninterrupted picatinny on top
Anti-rotation tabs
Lightwieght 11oz

SLR SOLO 13"
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you have the CMR?  Been thinking a lot about it lately but don't know many people who have them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Specs on it too would be nice,
Can't seem to find any
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Centurion CMR
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The weight is what attracted me to the SSK, glad to hear a good report from it. Yes the mounting system does seem a bit less secure than the NSR and is certainly a factor to consider. Thank you for your input.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If lockup is a factor then you should wait for the BCM KMR keymod which is 7 ounces including barrel nut.

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Wait for the BCM KMR13
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I currently run DD rails but I've recently been playing with a friends Geissele rail and if I was in the market for a new rail, I would definitely go Geissele!

In fact I'm considering selling one of my RIS II's to fund a Geissele MkIV in TAN. That is the rail I just installed on my friends AR-15 and I LOVE it. Was so easy to install. The mounting is VERY nice. Bill Geissele has an awesome product on his hands!
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can't seem to find any
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't seem to find any

I do not - all of mine have been of the C4 variety, but this might be helpful.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I currently run DD rails but I've recently been playing with a friends Geissele rail and if I was in the market for a new rail, I would definitely go Geissele!

In fact I'm considering selling one of my RIS II's to fund a Geissele MkIV in TAN. That is the rail I just installed on my friends AR-15 and I LOVE it. Was so easy to install. The mounting is VERY nice. Bill Geissele has an awesome product on his hands!
View Quote

No doubt about it Geissele makes one of if not the nicest rail(s) out there....their barrel nut is tops...and lightweight (the alloy one)

I would imagine BCMs will be pretty good as well...
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#21]
If you're looking at keymod, i would also suggest checking out the CMMG Revolution rails.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got a 13" Mk4 and a 15" NSR (in addition to lots of other DD and KAC rails).  I'd take a Geissele Mk4 over an NSR any day.  Honestly I'm thinking of dumping the NSR.  I just don't like the fact that if I want to mount anything to the rail other than on the top that I have to buy something.  Plus, the rail on the top seems to be wider than other rails.  For instance, I've got a Larue offset light mount with a Surefire in it that I can swap between carbines that don't have a "fixed" light installed.  I can swap it from my DD rails to KAC and Troy and don't have to adjust the mount.  On the NSR it won't lock without loosening it up a lot.

The NSR is pretty light however.  Of course once you factor in that you have to add stuff to it to mount anything that advantage starts to fade.  I'm going to keep it on the rifle for a while and see how it goes, but so far I like other rails better.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#23]
http://goo.gl/sehAEcI need a new rail system too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#24]
NSR, but I love my Wilson Combat TRIM, check it out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd wait until after SHOT. There's some new stuff coming out from a company that ARFCOM likes very much. I can't say who, but I've been promised to have my doors blown off.  Keep an eye on gunsandammo.com and shotgunnews.com, the video should be up before Thursday of the show.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've got a 13" Mk4 and a 15" NSR (in addition to lots of other DD and KAC rails).  I'd take a Geissele Mk4 over an NSR any day.  Honestly I'm thinking of dumping the NSR.  I just don't like the fact that if I want to mount anything to the rail other than on the top that I have to buy something.  Plus, the rail on the top seems to be wider than other rails.  For instance, I've got a Larue offset light mount with a Surefire in it that I can swap between carbines that don't have a "fixed" light installed.  I can swap it from my DD rails to KAC and Troy and don't have to adjust the mount.  On the NSR it won't lock without loosening it up a lot.

The NSR is pretty light however.  Of course once you factor in that you have to add stuff to it to mount anything that advantage starts to fade.  I'm going to keep it on the rifle for a while and see how it goes, but so far I like other rails better.
View Quote

The thought of the weight after adding the rail segments where you need them
Is something I think should be added into the equation with keymod systems. Yes they are very light weight, but after adding 2-3 rail sections, will it them similar to other rail systems?

I have to say, aesthetics shouldn't play such a
Role in my decision, though after owning the Geissele SMR mk4 it's hard
To settle for a rail that doesn't look as good; and this rail looks pretty damn good. Anxious to see the keymod MK4 come to life.

Thank you all for posting thoughts and suggestions. I've started updating length weight and ID in the OP
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'd wait until after SHOT. There's some new stuff coming out from a company that ARFCOM likes very much. I can't say who, but I've been promised to have my doors blown off.  Keep an eye on gunsandammo.com and shotgunnews.com, the video should be up before Thursday of the show.
View Quote

Well now I'm excited. Keep this thread updated please with any new rails!
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Personally I hate Quad rails. I've been using APEX hand guards lately. Have several. in all the lengths. Very sturdy, and I like the ability to put a rail where I want it. 8 positions around the clock, and the full length.
Rainiers has them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Added pictures and weight to the OP
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Is there an ETA for the Geissele SMR Keymod rails?
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#32]
The point of keymod is to direct-attach and not have rail sections at all.  Which is why all the models with machined in rails confound me, they have the weight and bulk of the rails at the end, then keymod only where you probably wouldn't mount anything anyway?  I don't have any keymod rails, but if I were building another upper I'd go with the BCM or NSR, the MI one looks nice also.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top