Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2014 12:00:08 AM EDT
Has any one used this bcg? I have never bought anything from Ares armor and wanted to know what the consensus was.

The next generation of Ares Armor NiB Bolt carrier group (auto) for an AR15, M16, or M4 is now available. The Carrier is enhanced with a MK1 ModO NiB coating featuring a proprietary method perfecting the balance of the sodium borohydride reducing agent; a step rarely taken. We then take it one step further to INDIVIDUALLY COAT ALL COMPONENTS before assembly; instead of taking a short and coating an assembled unit.
All Machining is completed to Mil-Spec. Properly Staked Gas Key. Gas key is heat treated. An 8620 Carrier and a 9310 Bolt are heat treated, along with the gas key to ensure proper strength. Bolt and Extractor are shot peened before coating and a crane O-ring is installed for superior extraction, along with a properly staked gas key. Proudly made, above and beyond milspec tolerances, in the USA.
View Quote

The BCG in question in currently on sale for $115.00

LINK
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a few friends buy the BCGs, Im pretty impressed with the quality. None of them have really put them to the test, just a few rounds so far. The only thing I dont like about them, is that only 20% of their stock is MPId (Magnetic Particle Inspected). Not a huge deal, considering if the manufacturing process is decent, MPIs, only turn away about .01% of the stock. But a lot of people will tell you not to get a bolt that has not been MPId. Plus the bolt and extractor have been shot peened, which I think is more important than MPI.
I think there phosphorus BCG are selling for $80 as well. Not a bad deal.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#2]
If you buy one, go ahead and upgrade to the BCM extractor spring.  I have two and had to change the extractor spring after a couple of hundred rounds on one and less than 50 on the other...
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I found them in a search as well...... looking at various bcgs under $150.
Anymore reviews on this Ares Armor bcg?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#4]
anyone else have these???????????

- -  ahhhh forget it.... I just spent the better part of a half hour reading some ugly stuff in reference to when on 3 different forums.
I will stick with a AIM when they come back in stock.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

- -  ahhhh forget it.... I just spent the better part of a half hour reading some ugly stuff in reference to when on 3 different forums.
View Quote

I couldn't find anything negative on my search.  maybe my google-fu is weak.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I purchased the Aries NiB bolt carrier group, and was pleasantly surprised. Machining is excellent, and very smooth. The only machine marks I could detect were on the inside of the back bore of the bolt carrier.
I purchased a blemished A4 upper for $35 at the same time.  The upper had a ding near the front barrel nut threads, and the rail on top ad some funky cuts in the bottom, but it was only detectable with a keen eye.
All was good, and I would make the purchase again.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can't post negative reports like that without a link... c'mon man ?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The next generation of Ares Armor NiB Bolt carrier group (auto) for an AR15, M16, or M4 is now available. The Carrier is enhanced with a MK1 ModO NiB coating featuring a proprietary method perfecting the balance of the sodium borohydride reducing agent; a step rarely taken. We then take it one step further to INDIVIDUALLY COAT ALL COMPONENTS before assembly; instead of taking a short and coating an assembled unit.
All Machining is completed to Mil-Spec. Properly Staked Gas Key. Gas key is heat treated. An 8620 Carrier and a 9310 Bolt are heat treated, along with the gas key to ensure proper strength. Bolt and Extractor are shot peened before coating and a crane O-ring is installed for superior extraction, along with a properly staked gas key. Proudly made, above and beyond milspec tolerances, in the USA.
View Quote

A coworker organized a small group of us to get together and buy five of these BCGs from Ares Armor. I got mine and put it into my Colt MT6700, and immediately noticed that it is a lot tighter than the standard manganese phosphate BCG that cames with rifles typical. This doesn't bother me greatly - my MT6700 was made in 2000 and even my second generation windowed PMAGs are tight in it and my Korean-copy Beta doesn't fit right (may end up getting the magazine well opened up a bit, but that is immaterial to this post).

I disassembled my BCG this morning, since I was planning on doing the full Crane upgrade (one piece gas ring and five coil extractor spring) since Ares Armor markets these BCGs as already having the Crane o-ring installed to aid extraction. Imagine my surprise when I disassembled my BCG.

I contacted my coworker who bought the BCGs and told him. He disassembled his as well, and lacks the o-ring as well. He'll be calling them Monday to find out why the BCGs he purchased are lacking an advertised component.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#9]
mine did not have a crane O ring either.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
mine did not have a crane O ring either.
View Quote

This makes me worry about using it. If the assembly was so shoddy as to completely miss an advertised part, I have to wonder about the entire overall quality of the BCG - especially a <$100 BCG.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
How was the staking?
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like $79 now. Tempting......
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Just add "O"Ring
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How was the staking?
View Quote

a picture is worth a thousand words.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I just bought one. $99 shipped.

Right now, this is my first build, and i plan on more than likely having to make changes, but i just want to get it together and go shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Have 6 inbound, will see what happens
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Did you guys see that thread in this subforum about that one with the wasted FA serrations, and Ares' CS?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top