Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2015 4:43:52 PM EDT
Anyone tried the wooden stocks from wood4ar15.com?

Thinking I need to woodenize an AR and been looking around, I like their triangle handguard design, IWD is ALWAYS running behind so I may try someone new.   Don't care for the Lucid and a few others because of the rounded handguards and cheekrests.

Just wanting something different than the same 'ol same ol'.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It's interesting that's for sure. I like wood furniture on the right platform.

For an older style build it would look good, but I think it would be heavy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I have no doubt.   I'm used to that, I've packed my RPK+4 extra drums a few times, gets weighty compared to just a plain ol' rifle.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, that kind of weight/handguard (assuming it's not freefloat) would screw with the accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Back in the 1980s I acquired a wood set from Rock Island (A division of Springfield Armory)  They were making ARs with Sendra/Nesard group.

They are great and still have a set on an SP1 parts kit on a SGW receiver.  The weight is fine, balances well and looks great.

" />
" />
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple of them.  My 20 inch 5.56 is built on a Rock River wooden set (Dan Konrad design since the RR is a dead ringer for the Konrad stock, only not as pretty) and I opened up the handguard to go over a free float tube, so yes, the barrel is free floated on this build.

On this build, a .458 SOCOM, with an AA fancy Dan Konrad stock, the barrel is a 20 inch midlength gassed so the handguard had to be opened up for the LP gas block in the midlength position and a rifle length end cap is used to hold the handguard on with the front sight in the rifle position, so obviously this barrel is not free floated.  But who cares on a .458 SOCOM?  It's not like I'll be doing any highly precision long range shooting with the SOCOM.

One might not like the cheek rest but the thickness of the wood in the cheek rest area is not just for the cheek rest but for strengthening the stock around the receiver extension.

On my .470 Rhino, with a DPMS wood stock the wood around the buffer tube is very thin.  It has held up just fine but I personally wish the wood was thicker, especially on such a heavy recoiling rifle.  The forend is standard DPMS aluminum tube dipped to match the butt stock.  Grip is a Dan Konrad also.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a set from Ironwood Designs in San Jose, CA.  Beautiful wood work but the buyer does the final finish.  Not a big deal if you have the basic skills to finish wood.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Dang....I may hafta do that now.

I had been going to get a bakelite-fakelite finish put on some AR furniture for my Sp1....

I may hafta go the wood route now.

Great pictures guys, thank you very much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top