Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2015 2:23:06 AM EDT
Curious if anyone has a Troy Delta Rail and how it mounts to the gun?  Troy states you can literally just drop it in and the barrel is free floated, no need to removed delta ring or gas block.  Does it work that way? does it lock up solid?  Does it fit around the hand guard retaining ring?

Here is my issue, I have been wanting a free float on my AR for quite some time.  I have a S&W MP15 ORC.  The one with the large railed gas block that has taper pins inserted the wrong way.  I for the life of my can not get them out.  I have tried heat, oil, cold and everything else, can not get the gas block off.  I have tried finding a gunsmith that would do it reasonably but they all want $100+ just to remove gas block and replace with a lo profile and install a new hand guard.  That is with me supplying the parts.  

I am curious if the Delta rail may be my ticket?    I have seriously tried removing the one it has and I can not get it, I have pondered just building an entire new upper.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:52:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, I have one. It mounts up solid - I like it quite a bit. I think it would answer your issue.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I got my 1st AR a month or so ago. M&P 15 with a 6" Troy Quad Rail with the same gas block as OPs. It was to short for me as I would grab out in front of the rail when I would run drills.  What a pita to get those pins out. I broke 3 steel punches, soaked it in WD-40, heated up with a torch. I tried for 2 days with no luck.
I went to youtube to see if there a trick and the 1st thing they said to do was get a bigger hammer and wail on it. So I did! 3lb sledge. I took one of those broken punches and cut the tip down short so I had stubby punch. I put the barrel/gas block on top of my vise so I had a solid surface under it. Then I wailed in it. 5-6 hits on each pin was all it took.
I put a UTG 15" free float. It was worth the work but Troy_Vs looks pretty sweet also.

Troy_V can you post a link for your rail setup please. I would have gone with the had I found that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the Troy Delta rails as well. Very nice, locks up tight with no play.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, the Delta Rail is a good solution for those that want a FF rail without modifying their platform, or for those that can't modify their duty weapons. I used to have a mid length Delta Rail on a BCM 16" mid length upper I have since sold. Installation took all of 5 minutes and provided a pretty solid setup. I used blue locktite on the retention screws. I bought mine from Primary Arms, they were on sale for $150.

ETA: I also used to have a S&W M&P 15 OR several years back, it was my first AR. I used a dremel with a couple cut off wheels to remove the gas block. Again, 15 minute job if you have the tools.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the late reply, I got busy chasing deer and elk this weekend.

Thanks all, I to have seen the delta rails going for Sub $150 used or on sale.  I know I can get the Alpha rails cheaper but after I replace the gas block and shop fees I will have $150 put right back into it.  I kind of like the Delta rail because I could sell the upper later and put the stock hand guards right back onto it.

I have pondered using a dremel, I just can never get a Dremel to cut metal worth a darn.  Even with the right wheel set to the right speed they just don't work well.  I originally planned on just trimming the gas block down cutting off just enough to where I could get an alpha rail over the top of it then cutting the delta ring off without removing the barrel nut.  I just did not want to mess up and cut the GB or delta ring too deep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top