Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Going to head back to the range tomorrow. going to try shooting the following ammo for groups.

AAC 77 OTM (again)
AAC 75 Sabre tipped
AAC 55 grain FMJ
77 gr TMK handloads
Federal GMM 73 Berger
Federal GMM 69 SMK

Probably going to try and shoot some PMC 55 grain through it first to get a few more rounds down the barrel first.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have two of their barrels.  I probably wouldn't buy anymore unless I found a crazy deal.  I wasn't impressed, but I also wasn't disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve purchased two uppers from WOA a 16” SDM and an 18” SPR.

The SDM averaged 1.7 MOA for 10 round groups with 10 different handloads, it averaged 7 of the 10 rounds into 0.97 MOA, with the three fliers opening it up to an average of 1.7 MOA. I returned the upper twice and the second time WOA refunded the purchase price. To clarify I measure the best 7 out of a 10-round group and record that information too.

The 18” SPR averages 1.23/0.81 MOA for 10/7 round groups, it’s delivered one group at 0.59 MOA for a personal best.

Out of 58, 1x10 groups fired at 100 yards from a bench with front and rear bags, 10 of them are sub moa, most in the 8’s and 9’s the 0.59 MOA group was exceptional.

After about 2600 rounds it just delivered a 1.05/0.70 MOA for a 2x10 with an average mean radius of 0.377”, I’ve had 8 AR barrels and this barrel has given me the best performance yet, even outperforming a 16” Bartlein from Craddock which is holding the #2 slot.

During load development with 5 shot groups my personal best is 0.418 MOA with the 18” WOA. Developing loads and shooting 10 round groups out to 500 yards with an AR15 has become a hobby in my old age.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:56:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tug153] [#4]
I finally got to the range this morning. The barrel did better, but I found that it is super picky with which bullets it likes. I tried 73gr FGMM Bergers and it absolutely hated those. It wasn't a big fan of 77gr TMKs either. Here are the best groups of the day.

200 yards AAC 77 OTM
Attachment Attached File

200 yards AAC 77 OTM
Attachment Attached File

400 yards AAC 77 OTM (my phone went goofy. This picture is sideways, so the rounds were hitting low)
Attachment Attached File

200 yards FGMM 69 SMK
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be happy with those groups.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By everready73:
I would be happy with those groups.
View Quote

Yep. Not bad. Next time j will try some groups at 100 to see what it dies closer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MKEman:
I have two of their barrels.  I probably wouldn't buy anymore unless I found a crazy deal.  I wasn't impressed, but I also wasn't disappointed.
View Quote

What ammo were you shooting?

Ball ammo, or even worse, M855, is hideous on target. Match grade barrel deserve match grade ammo.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By tommee-boy-72:
When I had a problem with my 18" WOA SPR barrel they told me they typically run from 3/4" to 7/8". I was getting 1.5" groups. And had severe gas port erosion at under 50 rounds. I got my $ back from them as they rubbed me wrong talking to them. They were extremely pissed off that I was questioning them about the soft steel being used and the erosion the port had. It was tearing patches as you pushed a patch past the gas port.

I sent in my whole upper and they test fired it. But would not tell me what it shot. I have a $35 warsport that shoots better than that barrel did. Maybe you guys got good ones but I have seen several of friends in my area that have their barrels and they will not shoot very well either.
View Quote

Was that your first stainless barrel? They have way more gas port wrrosion than a chrome moly, chrome lined barrel. Typucally the gas port errosion comes on very fast and then stops.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Tug153:
At the range now. Shooting AAC 77 grain out of the new WOA SPR with 1-8 twist. So far, not real impressed. I am hoping as I get more rounds through it, the barrel will break in. Shot for groups at 200 with the 18" WOA, 14.5" JP, and 14.5" Criterion. The JP and the Criterion both shot under 1 MOA. The Criterion shot the best at .744. With the WOA, I can't get it under 1.5. The velocity seems a little slow too. The 14.5s are shooting around 2625. The 18 is shooting 2710.
View Quote

1. AAC 77 5.56 is slower than Black Hills 77 5.56. A bit less accurate too.
2. Stainless barrels speed up as they break in, then slowly loose speed. You should get 2750 with Black Hills MK262.
3. I have had a stainless barrel take up to 200 rounds to settle in. Shot 1" wide or narrower groups but 3-4" tall. Once it broke in, it settled to sub MOA 5 shot groups. Like all the groups fired in a day, or at least all but one, were sub MOA, where a couple range days earlier they were all 3 MOA or more. Get a few days of shooting and full cleaning sessions to go by, then just let the copper sit. Some barrels really hate being copper free and clean.

I would shoot 200 rounds before testing velocity for recording for dope or deciding what the barrel likes. I have never had good results with that 73 grain ammo either.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DevL:

Was that your first stainless barrel? They have way more gas port wrrosion than a chrome moly, chrome lined barrel. Typucally the gas port errosion comes on very fast and then stops.
View Quote

No, I have Sabre Defense 556 match that has several thousand rounds on it and had less wear. Also have a BA SPR in the Black SS with around 500 rounds and it too has less wear.

I have has 3 bad Wilson barrels. 2 SS and 1 carbon. Will not own another.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top