Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/1/2009 9:36:11 PM EDT
Decided to re-barrel my Savage Model 12 from .223 to .270 WSM.  I'll have to change the bolt face too.  I got to thinking, I can do this because the .270 WSM works in short actions not unlike the venerable .223 and 308.  So why not build a .270 WSM upper for my AR-10 too!  Has it been done? If so, what's the up and down sides to doing it?

The ballistics to the .270 WSM are great.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is my AR-BMG Innovations .300 WSM upper with a POF lower. The bolt face has to be machined to the larger diameter of the WSM cartridge and the extractor and ejection port need to be modified. Mine runs just as well as my DPMS .308 if not better.

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
After I posted this thread, I came across a Shooting Times article that stated the military and Armalite would not use the WSM case because it's web was to week and bulges occurred just ahead of the rim.  Instead, the went with the .300 RSAUM, because it had a stronger web and overall a stronger cartridge.  The military has used this custom Armalite on a limited basis.  Seems that I'll have to do more research.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You might want to be researching the difference in the 223 Savage action and the WSM, namely barrel tenon diameter and the standing ejector.

They increased the barrel tenon diameter for a reason on the WSM, RUM and Precision/Target actions.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top