Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2010 5:04:04 AM EDT
Been doing research to find better barrel for my LR308.
GAP is on waiting list status so I am considering having Krieger install a new barrel for me.

What are your experiences with Krieger barrels on these LR308 platforms?
Would you suggest I go ahead with the change out?
What should I expect?
Suggestions PLEASE!

I ONLY shoot Feder GMM 175gr.

Here is my current configuration:

• Barrel is stock 24" SS Bull w/ cryo treatment.

• Trigger is Geissele DMR

• JP Adjustable Gas Block

• The rest of the internals are stock DPMS.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:51:03 AM EDT
    [#1]
    Is there are particular reason that you want to swap out the current barrel? You've gone as far as to get it cryo treated - is it just not meeting your expectations?

What are your expectations and what ultimately are you wanting to get out of the Krieger barrel?

I only ask because the DPMS barrels typically shoot very well and it seems like a lot of money to put into another .308 barrel if you're only going to get modest gains.

Nice scope and mount by the way
    Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:01:20 AM EDT
    [#2]
    My 24" LR308 Bull shoots .5 MOA at 100 yds. Right out of the box ! Don't know how much better your gonna get than that.
    Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:21:08 AM EDT
    [#3]
    Quoted:
    Is there are particular reason that you want to swap out the current barrel? You've gone as far as to get it cryo treated - is it just not meeting your expectations? Exactly. Also, it's a friggin Stock Barrel !!

What are your expectations and what ultimately are you wanting to get out of the Krieger barrel?
    What should I expect compared to a stock barrel?
    Do you have any experience with Krieger's on this platform?

I only ask because the DPMS barrels typically shoot very well and it seems like a lot of money to put into another .308 barrel if you're only going to get modest gains.
    Modest gains?
    Is this based on first hand knowledge and experience?

Nice scope and mount by the way
    Thanks

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:46:31 AM EDT
    [#4]
    Quoted:
    My 24" LR308 Bull shoots .5 MOA at 100 yds. Right out of the box ! Don't know how much better your gonna get than that.

You were blessed to receive it that way. Excellent.
    What load did you use to shoot the .5 MOA?
    Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:20:34 PM EDT
    [#5]
    I'm an accuracy nut too, But, though I do not compete I still take great joy in shooting tight 5 shot groups. I don't try to fool myself or others with 3 shot groups, or one lucky 5 shot group. I need consistancy to know it's real. I shoot this kind of sub 1/2" MOA consistancy  with the my 2 custom barrel bolt action rifles fairly easily. (1/4" and 3/8"  5 shot groups are not unusual) But, I'm honest enough to tell you that I've had no such luck with my AR platform rifles in either 5.56 or 308. Yes, on infrequent occassion I would get 3 or 4 shots in 3/4", but never the full 5 shots..I can't figure out if it's just that I'm not mastering an AR rifle yet, or, if I've just got bad luck and have been getting stuck with mediocre factory barrels on my stock AR rifles. I got rid of my 24" LR Panther fluted stainless 308 rifle barrel. It would only shoot 5 shot 1" groups on it's best day. Most groups were 1 1/4" using very precise handloads, a fine trigger, and a good quality 6x-24x Elite scope. I recently replaced that barrel with a Fulton 18.5" barrel, and found that barrel shoots no better. I made the mistake of believing Fulton when they advertise this chrome lined Krieger Criterion barrel with the statement "No loss of accuracy with our chroming process". I gravitated to this Fulton 2 1/2 lb barrel because it is black, light, and has an AP4 proifile that would accept an A2 front sight post. While I realize a 2 1/2lb barrel is light and can overheat causing accuracy loss, I only desire one good accurate 3/4"  5 shot group from a cold barrel to smile and know I have one special rifle. I have yet to get that kind of accuracy.    It's just my preference to try to keep my AR rifles on the light side and resembling a handy combat weapon.

Maybe you'll have better luck then me, but I was never able to find anybody here to provide any real input about precision target shooting. I'm so tired of reading the general/vague 1 or 2 sentences posted from the kids and the blasters about how accurate they shoot their 308 rifle.  If I had  1/2" and 3/4" groups that were the norm out of my stock rifles, you could bet your ass that I'd be posting the pictures on ARFCOM without anybody having to ask me for proof!
    (3 shot groups are bullshit and often just luck. I've had plenty of theose too)

If the weight and configuration of a Krieger barrel doesn't matter to you, I'm sure that it will deliver much closer to the kind of accuracy you're looking for. Just be sure to have a bolt matched to the chamber. Let me know how you do. I'm contemplating buying another Fulton...... this time their stainless non-chromed.
    barrel.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:50:55 PM EDT
    [#6]
    DPMS SASS (factory 18" sst bbl)10 shot group at 100 yards with factory 180gr Winchester power points.
    hole on the right was discounted because the high winds blew a stray icecream pail into me at the shot.

i have a one off custom Kreiger 24" sst bull bbl on my DPMS REPR cambered in .260 rem. (this is NOT one of their production bls)
    with my handloads it will shoot an easy .3 MOA, with several groups smaller.
    i know that ppl dont like 3 shot groups, but i generaly dont take the camera out when i go shooting so this is what a have for pix for now
    3 shot group at 100, 140gr Berger Match VLD

but like what has already been said, what are you getting now, and what are you looking for? how much shooting experiance do you have?
    i'm lucky enough to live where i shoot, so i shoot often.  no matter how much money you spend, there is no substitute for rounds down range.
    Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:11:15 PM EDT
    [#7]
    168 gr. SMK  very low wind..
    Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:07:47 PM EDT
    [#8]
    Your questions all seem to boil down to what you expect out of accuracy.  If you're looking for a sub 1/2MOA rifle, you're chasing a monster you're not going to find very easily.  Since GAP has a waiting list, you should call Jered down at APA.  They are a great shop and do fantastic work on ARs.  I know they'll give you a 1/2MOA guarantee for a re-barrel, fitting, etc, but it's not cheap.  Then again, they're among the very best smiths in the country, and that kind of quality and attention to detail doesn't come cheap.  They built my bolt gun from the ground up and it's a laser as far as I can shoot it.
    Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:18:35 AM EDT
    [#9]
    Thanks for the reply Guys/Gals? LOL.

Recently I sent my upper back to DPMS because my dust cover was trapping the empty case when fired closed.
    They replaced the upper receiver and now it works fine.
    Before that I had a local gunsmith install the JP adjustable gas block and he said the needed a torch to loosen the old gas block off.(Does this screw up the Cryo Treatment?) I wonder.

After I received the upper back from DPMS w/ the new receiver, I had to re-zero the weapon.
    I do this with the Hyskore Dangerous Game Machine Rest with a remote trigger.
    The shots tracked nice into the 1" sticky with shots 1-3 then everything went to crap.
    It's possible I had changed the way I had the AR mounted down after the 3rd shot too.
    I use the machine rest to remove human error but it's hard to say now until I take it out to the 100 yard tunnel to find out.

I have a nagging suspicion that after the installation of the JP Gas Block and the upper receiver replacement that the barrel has been damaged.
    I also noticed some new scratches at the front of the barrel after I got it back from DPMS but the crown seems fine.
    Therefore if I'm going to get a new barrel I don't want another stock DPMS.
    I'll try to get you guys some groups but I found out my shooting needs some work yesterday.

Also don't forget, I could get at least 1" groups (a flyer every so often) with the machine rest before the mods.
    And that was with the crappy DPMS trigger too.
    Mr. Tubbs told me to run the final finish loaded bullets to remove the flyers.
    I did the treatment and the flyers disappeared!!

So the barrel was pretty good to go before the mods.
    (JP Gas Block and New Upper Receiver replacement. Ignore the new trigger).

All I want is 1" minimum with NO flyers.
    Once I can achieve this on the machine rest then I can practice w/o the rest with the peace of mind the rifle can actually do 1".
    See my Evil plan?

Oh, and Krieger will match the bolt to the chamber.
    I saw that on the website but thanks for the reminder.
    Page AR-15 » AR Variants
    AR Sponsor: bravocompany
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top