Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2015 12:12:27 AM EDT
Neat.  I've been petitioning manufacturers to try something like this for years.  
Converting back to semi-auto is a bonus.
The fellow says that he'll develop a cover for the bolt handle slot when it's in semi-auto mode.
Yes, he says clips, instead of mags.  No biggie, if this helps folks in jurisdictions that are hostile to semi-autos.

Best,
JBR

JEDArms FB page

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice. Bolt action, not pump.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice. Bolt action, not pump.
View Quote

Yeah, I edited the title.  Sorry.  I had this on the mind...

Best,
JBR

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting mod. I'm not sure if the video is supposed to depict the concept or accuracy of the two systems. Accuracy wise, there is little to no improvements based off that test IMHO and I don't see where this application would benefit anyone. I can appreciate the ingenuity behind it, but this day in age, semi-auto rifles are every bit as accurate as a bolt action with the right set up. I do agree however that this could potentially benefit those living in locations which are trying to ban semi auto rifles.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:50:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Correct.  I believe it's more the solution to a political problem than a mechanical one.  
My brother is trapped behind enemy lines in CA.  
Hopefully this can be of use to him and others.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:15:18 AM EDT
[#5]
just asking

why this design other then say a adjustable gas block that can shut the gas off with a side charger upper?

something like this

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:17:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Correct.  I believe it's more the solution to a political problem than a mechanical one.  
My brother is trapped behind enemy lines in CA.  
Hopefully this can be of use to him and others.

Best,
JBR
View Quote

I feel his pain. We are both trapped behind enemy lines. Ingenuity over tyranny...
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe that a turn-bolt action gives you more leverage/moment arm, more camming action, to extract the round as you turn the bolt manually.

A linear pull action requires the cam pin to translate your rearward action into rotating the bolt and extracting the round.  I believe that's why the English straight pull ARs you see have that large handle bolted to the carrier.

I've been wrong before, though.  Just ask my wife.  ;)

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#8]
doesn't the bolt cam and turn to extract a round in semi auto fire as it is? thats been doing it for decades without much problem. all your doing is replacing the force of the gas that would of blown the bolt back to physically pulling back with your mussels.

i see he had to put the spring back in when he changed back to semi fire so im assuming that caming action was just to lock the bcg in.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Could be.  I am not an engineer.
I do know that turning the gas off on my FAL results in a pain in the ass when it comes to pulling a fired round from the chamber.
It might be a moot point, since I don't see much net activity from this guy lately.
Best,
JBR

ETA:  Heard back from JEDArms on their FB page.  They say they're talking with investors about getting production ramped up for this year, hopefully.

I also pointed him at this thread.  Don't know if he's an Arfcommer or not, yet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#10]
With a switch barrel design, you can switch back and forth between a manually operated rifle and semi auto.  One barrel has a gas block and tube, and the other doesn't.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top