Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2016 9:19:19 PM EDT
DPMS G2 and similar.  I haven't followed close.  Who sells one or soon will?  DMPS of course, looks like Mega Arms will soon.  And Adams Arms too?  Who else?

And I assume parts compatibility among these new ones will be by chance,not plan.  Correct?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought an Adams Arms for 1000 couple of months ago Daniel Defense is doing something that may or may not be small or I don't remember all of the stuff isn't out yet
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
In order of appearance on the market:

Colt 901, which now included the MARC 901 series

DPMS GII

Adams Arms .308 Patrol (looks like a GII-compatible receiver set with op-rod)

Mega Machine SF-MATEN

POF Revolution

Availability favors the DPMS GII and Colt 901, since they came out first (Colt had the head start from several years back.  DPMS intro'd the GII at 2014 SHOT IIRC.)

I personally like the looks and execution of the Mega Machine SF-MATEN.  Mega makes a great billet set and handguards.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Do any of the new platforms accept standard AR15 forends?  I'd like a light platform with one of the KAC URX 4 rails.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Snip....

View Quote

That is correct. They are direct drop in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do any of the new platforms accept standard AR15 forends?  I'd like a light platform with one of the KAC URX 4 rails.
View Quote

The DPMS G2 does, although there are a few exceptions there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

G11 will accept many of them but require a propitiatory Barrel nut.
I am running a Tod Jarret YHM rail on my G11 SASS
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip....

I have one.... I'm not impressed AT ALL.

And this is coming from a guy that has ran AA's in 3-Gun for years and loved them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And this is coming from a guy that has ran AA's in 3-Gun for years and loved them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip....

Could you please elaborate on that? Which model did you get and what issues does their .308 have?

Ive Been looking at the $1800 alpha model but cant seem to find a single legitimate review out there...

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Could you please elaborate on that? Which model did you get and what issues does their .308 have?

Ive Been looking at the $1800 alpha model but cant seem to find a single legitimate review out there...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip....

This is what I've seen:

Rifle is a base model.  Only mods have been a Voodo Jet Comp brake and I've tried several triggers (I'll get back to that in a second).  Originally, the rifle was purchased to be a lightweight match burner for Heavy Optics division in 3-Gun to keep time off of my PWS Mk216.

1) Accuracy has never lived up to expectations with a variety of loads, both factory and hand loads.  I've ran everything from 147gr. M80 FMJ to 155, 168, & 178gr OTM.  Typical groups are in the 2-3 MOA range and/or more than double what I see in my other .308 AR's.  However, this may be partially due to >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2) Even with the brake, the recoil seems to be substantially greater than other rifles in it's weight class.  Yeah, being a small frame it's a little lighter than most large frame .308 AR's but it still beats the hell out of you.  It just feels way, WAY over gassed.  Subjectively, the recoil seems to be a at least 25% greater than my PWS.  It just moves around too much to be an effective match rifle.

3) Failures to feed about 1 round in 50 with M80 ball.  Not crap, either.... Radway green and Lithuanian.  It's not reliable enough to count on in a match.

4) Dropping several triggers into it gives me puzzling results.  First, I tried a HyperFire... Dropped it in and it was way too light (like just over 2# with the highest rate springs) and exceptionally spongey.  What gives?  Did I install it wrong?   Rip it out and reinstall with the same results.  Maybe the trigger itself is defective?  Nope... Dropped it into another rifle and had the performance I expected.  Then I tried a Geissle.  I forget what was wrong but it was something along those lines.... Just felt WRONG.  Mil-Spec trigger also had issues.  Finally, I dropped in a cassette type and it was good to go.  But that tells me there's something funky going on that I can't explain.

5) Magwell is very tight and definitly not drop free for MagPul SR-25 type mags.  In fact, the only mags that function 100% are Lancers.  Good mags, certainly.... But I'm sitting on a metric shit ton of MagPuls.

6) Everything feels way too stiff.  This is subjective, of course, but it just doesn't feel "finished".  It feels like a prototype to me and not a finished product.  Granted, this is a very early model (it was a pre-order) so that may explain it.

I need to send it back to AA and have them give it the once over.  Unfortunately, I've just been too busy.  In the meantime it sits n the back of the safe because I get angry when I look at it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for posting that, LRRP.  That seemed like a pretty decent review.  Too bad that buffer system is proprietary and therefore not leaving as many options for balance when needed.  Is it sounding like it's overgassed?  Maybe an adjustable block would help.  It would be great to see a direct review/comparison between the DPMS and Mega using the more compact format.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]
That's the first I've heard that it's a different buffer in the GII.

I thought the chart showed that to be a cross-over from one of the other lines.  I'll have to go check, or someone with one can answer directly after measuring and weighing theirs.

Found it:  

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Once again...Mr. Smartypants.  That's a nice list...pretty informative.  I'm not getting the free float tube and handguard reference...sounding like same component but obviously not.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#14]
DPMS has always used a proprietary (read: shorter) buffer in order for the longer AR10 carrier to work with a standard AR15 buffer tube.
Slash & others make heavier versions.  It appears that the G2 uses the same one as the G1.

Armalite AR10 uses a longer buffer tube with a standard AR15 buffer.

Mega appears to be late introducing their small frame offering.  I think I want one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
DPMS has always used a proprietary (read: shorter) buffer in order for the longer AR10 carrier to work with a standard AR15 buffer tube.
Slash & others make heavier versions.  It appears that the G2 uses the same one as the G1.

Armalite AR10 uses a longer buffer tube with a standard AR15 buffer.

Mega appears to be late introducing their small frame offering.  I think I want one.
View Quote

Their site says September.  It is currently August.

Knight's Armament is the first I know of to make a carbine SR25 with the shorter buffer, back in 1994.

DPMS followed KAC's pattern with the LR-308 and AP4 carbines.

KAC eventually ditched the short AR15 extension tube and tiny buffer, due to reliability problems.

I personally would want the JP SCS in a small frame AR10.  I like the looks of the Mega SF-MATEN the most so far, and their machine work is superb.

They should consider 6.5 Creedmoor or custom shop work with Bartlein, Lilja, or Krieger pipes for those who want 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Remington.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive got a DPMS g2 Recon coming in, does anyone know if I can run a Vltor A5 on it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Ive got a DPMS g2 Recon coming in, does anyone know if I can run a Vltor A5 on it?
View Quote

A5 is nominally the same length as Armalite's AR10 tube.  If the Gen II DPMS is shipping with the same short buffer as the Gen 1 DPMS, then swapping to an A5 tube would probably work if you put in an H3 buffer and 308 rifle spring.

No guarantees.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Well if the numbers are right (pulled from the net) then it looks like Im going to have to cannibalize an A5H4 buffer and stick it in an Armalite AR10 carbine buffer to make it wok.  The A5 buffer tube/AR10 CAR tube is 0.75" longer than the standard tube used on the AR15 and DPMS 308.

A5 buffer:  4"
AR15 CAR buffer:  3.25"
AR10 CAR buffer:  3.25"
DPMS 308 CAR buffer:  2.5"
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Why wouldn't you just stick an H3 in it? If the BCG is .75 longer it should line right up?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Just use the A5 tube with a 3.25" AR15 heavy buffer, depending on your gas port location and loads you're shooting.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah thats kind of what Im planning on doing, but the A5 system has an internal spring mounted in the last weight.  So I will need a heavy A5 buffer to get the spring and the drilled tungsten weight to install in the 3.25" buffer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah thats kind of what Im planning on doing, but the A5 system has an internal spring mounted in the last weight.  So I will need a heavy A5 buffer to get the spring and the drilled tungsten weight to install in the 3.25" buffer.
View Quote

Try an MGI RRB buffer.  It has springs between all the weights.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone know if the Mega SF Maten receivers will become available?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not at this rate. When the GII was announced, i was under the impression dpms was going to offer receivers, and open source everything. I thought that meant we would see custom builds. But so far, that hasn't happened.

You got Adams, DPMS, and Mega. I can't remember if others have jumped on board, but Mega is making their own receivers, but i don't know about the other parts. I don't think they will interchange with the GII though.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I wish 2A Armament would have made their Xanthios set as small frame.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#26]
45-Seventy, that's odd.  I've got the AA Patrol Enhanced.  The only things I've done to it are install sights and a sling.  I only have about 50 rounds of IMI M80 through it so far (test fired it, sent it in for service for trigger and bolt catch issues, test fired it when it came back), but haven't had any FTE.  20-round PMAGs are all I have for it, and they drop free when empty.  I haven't checked that with a loaded one.  At some point, I'll have to put my Nikon 4.5-14 scope on it and see what we're capable of accuracy-wise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I specifically asked about receivers at SHOT and Mega said complete guns only.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I wish 2A Armament would have made their Xanthios set as small frame.
View Quote
I second that motion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#29]
anyone got dimensions for a g2 pattern small frame?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what irritates me. When dpms announced it, it was supposed to be open source, maybe i was confused, but all the hype behind it made it sound like there would be third party receivers and parts to build on. Not just multiple mfgs making rifles only.

Kinda defeats the purpose. Further destroys any hope for a standard. DPMS is really good at that for the 308 world.....
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top