Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/13/2016 6:02:25 PM EDT
So upon assembly of my Anderson lower with my KAK Shockwave buffer tube, I did have some problems keeping the buffer tube from rotating while tightening the castle nut.  I had everything pretty tight - in spite of my POS NcStar 2nd Generation AR Combo Armorer's Wrench.

However - not being satisfied and recently received my new WEAPONWERX WRENCH I wanted to try and snug down my castle nut.  The new wrench works great!  No slippage on the nut.  Very nice.  However it looks like the notch in my buffer tube has been worn so that my BCM end plate with QD won't hold the buffer tube from turning while I tighten the nut.  

Some pictures...

Here is a picture of my buffer tube up against the buffer retainer.  

See below, I can rotate my end plate on the tube.  I have worn down the notch that is supposed to prevent this from happening.  
Of course this picture is with the tube barely threaded on so you can see what I'm talking about.

Just another angle with a clearer picture...

See below... I have worn the threads by the end plate spinning around.

So, is this tube worthless now?  Or would you tighten it up best you can and try to salvage it?  Suggestions please.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm not an expert but I would say it's still usable with careful installation.

Take everything off and clean it up nice and carefully reinstall paying close attention to keep it clocked correctly.

Should get you by until you can a new one. Good lcuk.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Try a triangular file to clean it up, but it looks hosed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
That sucks that you didn't learn that lesson on a cheap-o buffer tube/endplate like I did...but yeah, that buffer tube is toast...as well may be the endplate. Too bad it's a KAK and BCM...

Personally, I wouldn't try to use that buffer tube again.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a good idea to try and clean it up with a file.  Also, I just want to use it until I figure out how to SBR it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sucks that you didn't learn that lesson on a cheap-o buffer tube/endplate like I did...but yeah, that buffer tube is toast...as well may be the endplate. Too bad it's a KAK and BCM...

Personally, I wouldn't try to use that buffer tube again.
View Quote

True, true, true.  You are correct - even the BCM endplate notch is worn pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The notch is only there to index the buffer tube not to keep it from spinning when tightening the nut. A pistol tube does not need to be as tight as a tube with a stock on it. Use a strap wrench to hold the tube while tightening if you need it that tight. On a carbine tube there is a wrench like tool that holds the tube while you tighten the nut but most simply install the stock and use it to hold the tube aligned while tightening. Doing it like you did you end up with,... well what you ended up with.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The notch is only there to index the buffer tube not to keep it from spinning when tightening the nut.
View Quote

Ahhh, I did think that the notch was there to keep it from spinning.  Next time I'll hold the tube so it doesn't turn.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Just ordered a KAK Shockwave Tube

$20 + $8.75 Shipping.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just ordered a KAK Shockwave Tube

$20 + $8.75 Shipping.  
View Quote

Don't feel too bad man, that is common stuff right there. I seriously did the same thing many moons ago. Chalk it up as a learning expirence and move on.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The retaining spur is mostly for ease of install. You can just keep everything in line by hand while you tighten the castle nut and it won't effect anything.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The retaining spur is mostly for ease of install. You can just keep everything in line by hand while you tighten the castle nut and it won't effect anything.
View Quote

Yep, there's no reason to junk it, just keep everything aligned while you tighten it up and then fire away.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as the castle nut will screw on, you are fine.  Once the tube is screwed in to the reciever and the castle nut is tightened down, the tube will not unscrew unless you loosen the castle nut.  You could stake it so that it does not come loose.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Buffer tube is fine.  Those threads are in an area that doesn't matter.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top