Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2008 12:11:33 PM EDT
Ok fellows, I'm preparing to assemble an NDS-16A1 lower that will ultimately get a pencil barreled A1 upper as soon as one can be coaxed out of NDS. But I'm confused about which one of these stocks should go on this M16A1 forgery:

I had thought it would be the one on the right, but Retro Black Rifle indicates the one on the left is correct. Which should it be?
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I would use the one on right, only because the one on the left looks like it is a Cavalry Arms butt stock, not USGI.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, the stock on the left came from Fulton Armory and the buttplate it's wearing is a Colt part from SAW.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Actually, the stock on the left came from Fulton Armory and the buttplate it's wearing is a Colt part from SAW.

hk45shooter says that because it has the A2 type sling fitting.  So, like the Cav Arms ones, it is A1 length, with A2 fittings, even though the buttplate may be A1.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
you may have purchased it from Fulton but it was made by Cav Arms.

this is what a late A1 looks like

Link Posted: 9/27/2008 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you may have purchased it from Fulton but it was made by Cav Arms.

this is what a late A1 looks like
i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/IMG_0043.jpg
i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/IMG_0044.jpg

+1

From left, A1, A2 and Cav I got from SG:

Link Posted: 9/27/2008 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a picture I just took of one of the A1 (USGI or Colt SP1 style) stocks I have. See how much further from the end the sling loop is on mine compared to the stock you have pictured? Also the slot for the sling loop is exposed on yours, unlike the USGI/Colt A1 pictured. The picture ought to help you see what VAAR said.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking what you have, just trying to inform. If you are building a fun gun & do not care if the parts are completely accurate for that model, use what you have. If you are wanting to build with correct parts, like most of us do, that stock is not it.

ETA: Looks like crackedcornish & VAAR beat me to the pictures.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#7]
So it looks like the difference between the trapdoor A1 stock and the one I've got is the slot for the sling swivel.

After further looking at the Retro BR page linked above I see they show the trapdoor stock in the Buttstock section, but show the non-trapdoor stock on the shot of the whole rifle at the top of the page. So I'm going with the non-trapdoor stock.

Thanks. I'd never noticed that sling swivel slot difference before.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So I'm going with the non-trapdoor stock.

Good move.

But hold onto the other stock. All you need for a proper A1 trapdoor type is the stock shell, and they show up periodically, and sometimes pretty cheap too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a place for those Cav stocks, especially for guys with short arms like me.  Retro guys are not all knuckle-draggers...
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]
That Cav Arms stock would be a good choice for a 607 build...  
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The one on the right in the OP's post is a 60's era A1 buttstock.

The A1 stock with the compartment for the cleaning kit and the non-swivel sling loop came out in the early 70's.
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Easy to remember the difference between an original A1 trapdoor stock, and a current mfg trapdoor stock.

The originals have the sling swivel installed straight into the bottom of the stock.

The current have that additional slit to each side. basically allowing the sling swivel to cant from side to side.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#14]
As Forest said, the non-traps are okay for the early A1s, and nice ones seem to be abundant and reasonably priced.
Snag a solid-butt one for the moment, and keep your eye open for a trapdoor shell.
Moon
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top