Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2008 11:50:37 AM EDT
Does anyone make a good reproduction (or sell originals) of the original style XM 177 slings? I guess that may be somewhat of a broad question. But, what I am looking for is the sling that attaches to the front sight assembly and buttstock.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the "slings" used by LRRP and Special Forces units were definately non standard.  You see everything from 550 cord to GP equipment straps.  I've even seen M-1 Carbine slings used.

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
In the "Real Deal" threads, you even see surgical tubing and rappelling rope being used.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
For those of you that might not have been hanging around here when I first posted this little write up, I'll repost it. This might not be quite the way it was done in the field but, it looks pretty good when finished.
I thought I might do a little write up on the way I made my field expedient sling that I've got on my 653 clone.

I started with a general purpose sling that has multiple uses in the military.

I started by Dremiling off the snap hook on both ends.

I then take a piece of 550 cord about 12" long and feed it through one end of the sling.

With a piece of the inner cord from another piece of 550 cord, I then tie and wrap the overlapping ends of the 550 cord.

I then feed the tied ends into the end loop on the sling to hide the tied ends and to give it a more finished look. This becomes the end of the sling to be used at the front sight base.

For the butt end, I take another piece of 550 core, this time about 20" long. I feed it through the end of the sling and loop it back through the end a second time.

The front end must be attached first by feeding the looped end of the sling through the FSB and then passing the entire sling through the loop.

The butt end can then be fed through the stock and tied with a square knot.

When it's all done you've got a nice wide sling that's good and quiet because the metal clips have been removed.

Doc
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all for your post, good information. I guess you don’t know something until you do. Doc I like that sling idea and I think I am going to try that. Do you know if that is an old M60 sling?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 4:41:13 AM EDT
[#5]
That is a General Purpose sling.  It was used for 2 qt. canteens, map cases, etc. and still is in more contemporary variants.  You can find these at most surplus stores.  I think you can buy them by the gross from Sportsman's Guide!

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That is a General Purpose sling.  It was used for 2 qt. canteens, map cases, etc. and still is in more contemporary variants.  You can find these at most surplus stores.  I think you can buy them by the gross from Sportsman's Guide!

What he said. GP straps are everywhere and cheap to boot.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the clarification. I found one http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/usgi-double-hook-carry-strap.html
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Or you could go this route:

Sportsmans Guide - 30 GP straps for $14.97
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is the route I took. Now I have a GP strap on my binoculars, my tool bag in my truck, my range bag, my camera tripod, pretty much anything that can be carried easier with a strap.

Doc
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

$14.97 + $5.49 shipping - $5.00 off coupon code : SH335 = $15.46 shipped

Link Posted: 12/27/2008 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Grenade Ring in the FSB.  Very nice...  But it would rattle too much on patrol.

Link Posted: 1/17/2009 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The ones I received are all the newer lighter green nylon type with dates in the 1980's.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top