Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2010 7:56:38 AM EDT
And that would be...What model of Aimpoint was used in the Mog.?   And is the movie accurate in that account?  Also what handle mounts would
have been used....both in real life and the movie???  I have an Aimpoint Comp M now, and indications are that it may be correct for the time
period, but I'll let the hive mind get me sorted out here!  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a thread for BHD builds in the retro forum.

Current BHD Build Thread

your answers lie within.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, it was the Aimoint 3000 that most were outfitted with during that period of time. Don't think the comp m came until the end of the decade. I'ce never been entirely sure of the mount, someone may be able to help with that one..
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The Aimpoint 3000 was introduced in 1989, and the Aimpoint 5000 in 1991.  Either one could be considered correct for a BHD-era build.  The two models also look very similar.

ETA: Regarding mounts, although the MIL-STD-1913 rail was not standardized until 1995, the dovetail dimensions were developed in the early 80s and the ARMS #2 carry handle mount was introduced in 1984, with what we call today a Weaver rail interface (non-standardized cross slot spacing).  The standardized cross slots that eventually became the Picatinny rail came about in the early 90s.  You can buy new ARMS #2 mounts made to Picatinny rail specifications from many vendors.  The early Weaver rail versions of the ARMS #2 mount also come up from time to time on the EE or GB.  Pictures from the period also show other mounts of unknown make besides the ARMS #2.

ETA more: I recently purchased this Aimpoint 5000 with early ARMS #2 mount from a seller on another board.  The Aimpoint 5000 has an optional tube extension that threads into the back of the sight, plus an optional polarizing filter that threads into the front and can be used to dim the view through the sight and make the dot more visible in extremely bright conditions.  Below are some pictures of the sight with and without the accessories and a detail view of the mount.  The seller indicated that he had purchased this mount and sight in the early 90s and had them sitting around rarely used since that time.  It has a 3 MOA dot; be advised these were also produced with a 10 MOA dinner-plate sized dot as well.

Here is the other side of the scope if you care to look at it.

The Aimpoint 3000 can be distinguished, as in the picture below, by the small vertical flat section at the top of the central body of the scope, whereas the Aimpoint 5000 is rounded all the way to the top edge.

ETA still more:  On NDS-C7B upper receiver.  Rear sight not yet installed while I make up my mind.

Link Posted: 8/14/2010 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump for new pix added above.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Great pics and explanation Flatdark.  Was the 3000 a 1' tube while the 5000 is a 30mm tube?

Also, Smith Enterprises makes a very similar carry handle rail mount for those who wish to spend their money with someone other than ARMS.  

ETA: and Leupold still sells those same vertical split rings as well, only about $15.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great pics and explanation Flatdark.  Was the 3000 a 1' tube while the 5000 is a 30mm tube?

Also, Smith Enterprises makes a very similar carry handle rail mount for those who wish to spend their money with someone other than ARMS.  

ETA: and Leupold still sells those same vertical split rings as well, only about $15.

Good question about the tube diameter; I had not thought of that.  The 5000 is a 30mm tube.  A quick look at Aimpoint's website confirms that the 3000 was a 1" tube.

Good point re: Smith Enterprise.  Do you think Dick Swan will sue me for using numbers in my forum posts?
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question about the tube diameter; I had not thought of that.  The 5000 is a 30mm tube.  A quick look at Aimpoint's website confirms that the 3000 was a 1" tube.

Good point re: Smith Enterprise.  Do you think Dick Swan will sue me for using numbers in my forum posts?

Don't put your skivvies on backwards.  

Ahh, and a link to the rings:  http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/mounting-systems-and-accessories/mounting-systems/rifleman-mounts
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What model of Aimpoint was used in the Mog.?  

The fact that you used "the Mog" in your post is mind boggling take it up the ass faggotry.

Link Posted: 8/15/2010 3:47:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for that constructive reply.

Are the split rings authentic to the time?  I know they used weaver rings for the surefires. I always figured that was just because they were the standard so they had a ton?
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are the split rings authentic to the time?

The ones on my Aimpoint 5000 pictured above are the original rings furnished by Aimpoint with the sight in the early 90s, so yes.  I'm sure there were other types of rings available at the time of course.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top