Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2011 10:37:37 PM EDT
I was cruising through Ekie's carbine parts thread for ideas (mainly day dreaming, I have nothing better to do on a Friday night) and came across the 733.

While I'd love to do a 609 build, if I ever did make an SBR I think I'd prefer an 11.5 with A1/A2 flash hider. So I figure that narrows it down to 629 or 733.

I'm curious about a few things.

Were the barrels the lightweight profile or were they .750 under the gas block?

Did they come with A1 or A2 lowers?

Also, for historical curiosity, were any such rifles used in major conflicts?

Thanks folks. I love AR15 history.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Were the barrels the lightweight profile or were they .750 under the gas block?

Hmmm... deja vu.  (Scroll down to the last two posts in the linked thread.)

Originally Posted By Couch-Commando on 1/1/2010:
Did these rifles have lightweight or A2 profiles barrels?

Originally Posted By SSeric02 on 1/1/2010:
Lightweight .625" at the FSB. While the longer Colt lightweight carbine and rifle barrels are slightly lighter than .625" forward of the FSB and then have a small step just aft of the muzzle threads for the washer to sit against, the 11.5" Commando length barrels appear to stay a slightly heavier .625" or thereabouts with no step at the muzzle.

Conversely, the 10.3" Mk18 barrels are .750" at the FSB and A2 profile forward of it.

Tee hee!  Sorry if I'm being a smartass.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Did I already post this? Well damn, I guess I need to go to bed.

ETA: I have a Colt fiberlite on hand, and figured it might be fun to find a used/LEO trade in 6520, replace the stock, replaced the upper with a C7 and refinish with norrels. Then eventually SBR it.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#3]
733s came with both A1 and A2 lowers, and Gen II and fiberlite stocks.  However, I don't think my 733 replica is correct, because as far as I know, the combination of Gen II stock and A2 lower was not found in nature.  I prefer the balance of my 654 replica, but I'm holding on to the 733 because it works and looks great with my Gemtech M2-04 (the 654 is 14.5" and pinned so no SBR):

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking it would be fun to get a beat up 6520, complete with the Colt AR15A2 gov't carbine marking, get a C7 upper, register it, spray some colt gray norrells on it (if it's an LEO model) and have myself a convincing looking, fun SBR. I've seen the beat up 6520 carbines go for as low as 700.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]
As for conflicts, I've seen 733s in Afghanistan as recently as this past fall in use by support types.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
733s came with both A1 and A2 lowers, and Gen II and fiberlite stocks.  However, I don't think my 733 replica is correct, because as far as I know, the combination of Gen II stock and A2 lower was not found in nature.  I prefer the balance of my 654 replica, but I'm holding on to the 733 because it works and looks great with my Gemtech M2-04 (the 654 is 14.5" and pinned so no SBR):

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=17460

I have one that looks almost identical. It has a fiberlite stock though.
Its got a top sling kit and silent sling on it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one that looks almost identical. It has a fiberlite stock though.
Its got a top sling kit and silent sling on it.

That's a more authentic setup than mine, with the fiberlite stock and A2 lower.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey CC I couldn't find the recent thread I started on the 733 upper I picked up down there at the SAR show.   It was somebody's bullet hose as it was a hair rough in front of the chamber and obviously hadn't been cleaned in awhile.   Here are the pics I posted:

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've got pics of some 733s and 723s that have come up for sale on other boards that had A2 lowers, the coated aluminum stocks and A1 uppers (with no shell deflector), so your clone isn't too far off.  haven't seen any A2 series weapons with A1 grips though, and wouldn't expect to, as that was one of the "new A2" features.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]

This lower was in a trajic accident and can only use a KNS takedown pin from now on.

Wikipedia says:

Colt CommandoM4 Commando
Type Carbine
Place of origin United States
Specifications
Weight Empty: 5.38 lb (2.44 kg)

Length Buttstock extended: 30 in (760 mm)

Buttstock retracted: 26.8 in (680 mm)

Barrel length 11.5 in (290 mm)

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Muzzle velocity 2,611 ft/s (796 m/s)

Though Colt has focused its attention on carbines with 14.5-inch barrels and rifles with 20-inch barrels, Colt continues to make carbines with 11.5-inch barrels, which it calls Commandos. Commandos are assembled from whatever spare parts are available, so Model 733 Commandos can have A1-style upper receivers, A1-style upper receivers with case deflectors, or A2-style upper receivers, and M16A1-profile 1:7 or M16A2-profile 1:7 barrels. Depending on the specific models, current Commandos may have three-position fire control groups (safe/semi-automatic/three-round burst), or four-position having both full-automatic and burst. The Model 933 has a "flattop" receiver, with a removable carrying handle and a MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail. Though originally called the M16A2 Commando, Colt now markets it as the M4 Commando.

Some American special operation forces, such as Army Special Operation Groups, use the M4 Commando in a limited capacity. Marine Force Recon personnel sometimes use M4 Commandos in place of their US M9 pistols.[9]

The Colt Commando's 11.5-inch barrel creates a substantially lower muzzle velocity and greater muzzle flash, in comparison to longer M16 carbines and rifles. The lower muzzle velocity may reduce wounding effects.[10] In 2005, Colt came out with a semi auto only version of the 733. The designation of this rifle is the 6933.

Recently, the Mk 18 Mod 0 with a 10.3-inch barrel has taken the role of ultracompact carbine with the U.S. Navy SEALs
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Wikipedia says:

Colt CommandoM4 Commando
Type Carbine
Place of origin United States
Specifications
Weight Empty: 5.38 lb (2.44 kg)

Length Buttstock extended: 30 in (760 mm)

Buttstock retracted: 26.8 in (680 mm)

Barrel length 11.5 in (290 mm)

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Muzzle velocity 2,611 ft/s (796 m/s)

Though Colt has focused its attention on carbines with 14.5-inch barrels and rifles with 20-inch barrels, Colt continues to make carbines with 11.5-inch barrels, which it calls Commandos. Commandos are assembled from whatever spare parts are available, so Model 733 Commandos can have A1-style upper receivers, A1-style upper receivers with case deflectors, or A2-style upper receivers, and M16A1-profile 1:7 or M16A2-profile 1:7 barrels. Depending on the specific models, current Commandos may have three-position fire control groups (safe/semi-automatic/three-round burst), or four-position having both full-automatic and burst. The Model 933 has a "flattop" receiver, with a removable carrying handle and a MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail. Though originally called the M16A2 Commando, Colt now markets it as the M4 Commando.

Some American special operation forces, such as Army Special Operation Groups, use the M4 Commando in a limited capacity. Marine Force Recon personnel sometimes use M4 Commandos in place of their US M9 pistols.[9]

The Colt Commando's 11.5-inch barrel creates a substantially lower muzzle velocity and greater muzzle flash, in comparison to longer M16 carbines and rifles. The lower muzzle velocity may reduce wounding effects.[10] In 2005, Colt came out with a semi auto only version of the 733. The designation of this rifle is the 6933.

Recently, the Mk 18 Mod 0 with a 10.3-inch barrel has taken the role of ultracompact carbine with the U.S. Navy SEALs

Wiki, sheesh dubious "facts."  They aren't assembled from "whatever spare parts"  though there were variations, especially in the 80s commercial guns as stocks on hand of A1 uppers, lowers, and the aluminum sliding stocks were used up.  The 733 with A1 field sights was the standard variation until the late 90s.  Colt's website still lists the 733 with fixed sights, but doesn't distinguish whether A1 or A2.  The A2 sights have to be pretty rare on the 733s; I've only seen uppers from those for sale, never pics of complete weapons.  They've also never used A2 profile (heavy forward of the FSB) barrels on 733 or 933 Commandos.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 3:32:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I posted a NIW top sling adapter like that on Jhud's carbine in the 'Pay it forward' thread if anyone is looking for one. I just use paracord now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I posted a NIW top sling adapter like that on Jhud's carbine in the 'Pay it forward' thread if anyone is looking for one. I just use paracord now.

Years ago I got my BIL these Ranger Ricks digests.. Some kind of general purpose field manual. He built an A2 recently.
Apparently in those manuals they showed how to take some wire and bend it into the front clip shape, and cover the wire with the outside of a section of paracord..  I am thinking about doing that to mine to eliminate the noise and metal to metal wear. Because this is one of the retro clones that done right.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#14]
So, would an A1 upper, A2 lower, fiberlite stock, etc. be a plausible correct build?

Likewise, did any of the late ones ever come with A2 uppers?

I really like Colt rifles. And right now it looks like the market has hit rock bottom for used Colts. With new Colt 6520s going for 900, I'm thinking that if I can find a used one for 700 I'll buy it. Then, as time goes on, I could turn it into a 733 build. I have the correct stock for it. It would be cool to have an SBR that says "Colt AR15A2 gov't carbine".

I guess the reason I'm trying to avoid a C7 upper is I would want an original one, and have never seen them on gun broker.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Apparently in those manuals they showed how to take some wire and bend it into the front clip shape, and cover the wire with the outside of a section of paracord..  I am thinking about doing that to mine to eliminate the noise and metal to metal wear.

Would like to see pics when ya do this! I have a TSA (rut roh) that I don't use due to the noise/metal wear issue.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, would an A1 upper, A2 lower, fiberlite stock, etc. be a plausible correct build?

Likewise, did any of the late ones ever come with A2 uppers?

I really like Colt rifles. And right now it looks like the market has hit rock bottom for used Colts. With new Colt 6520s going for 900, I'm thinking that if I can find a used one for 700 I'll buy it. Then, as time goes on, I could turn it into a 733 build. I have the correct stock for it. It would be cool to have an SBR that says "Colt AR15A2 gov't carbine".

I guess the reason I'm trying to avoid a C7 upper is I would want an original one, and have never seen them on gun broker.

I've seen them on Gunbroker.  In fact, I've sold 2 of them there.  You may have to wait awhile for one to come along, though...

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#17]
My uneducated  guess would be that the 733 comes with BOTH the A1 and A2 uppers; the main part would be the barrel (11.5 in.).

Colt RO733 with A1 upper and fiberlite stock.

Colt RO733 with C7 style upper (A1 sights and brass deflector - dunno what the official designation for this upper is).

Colt RO933 with A3 upper and LE Stock. The 933 designation denoted by the removable carry handle.

The 733 Commando with A2 upper would look exactly like the 933, except for the obvious difference in the carry handle; also the 738/938 "Enhanced" Commando models would add the 4 position selector.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Isn't having the A2 sights on the 11.5" barrel kind of an overkill?
300-600m shots is best left to another gun.
Fragmentation is going to stop well before that mark.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My uneducated  guess would be that the 733 comes with BOTH the A1 and A2 uppers; the main part would be the barrel (11.5 in.).

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos11/jan/vk228m16m.jpg

Colt RO733 with A1 upper and fiberlite stock.

http://www.autoweapons.com/photosv/m16a2postb.jpg

Colt RO733 with C7 style upper (A1 sights and brass deflector - dunno what the official designation for this upper is).

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos10/apr/3240m16j.jpg

Colt RO933 with A3 upper and LE Stock. The 933 designation denoted by the removable carry handle.

The 733 Commando with A2 upper would look exactly like the 933, except for the obvious difference in the carry handle; also the 738/938 "Enhanced" Commando models would add the 4 position selector.

The middle one-
A2 lower, plastic stock, A1 improved upper, pencil barrel was what was used in "Heat", and I have also seen in my Military travels being used by various Foreign forces.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Check with Dennis Todd, he's listed in the Industry section, I bet he can find you a black, Colt C7 style upper for your build.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've only seen 733 uppers with A2 sights for sale once or twice.  Not nearly as common as the C7 or just plain A1 uppers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yeah, but it comes stock on the gun I would modify.
ETA: Here's my line of thinking right now.
1) Wait and pounce on a Colt 6520 if I can find it for 700 bucks (has happened in the recent past, hopefully will happen again).

2) Replace newer M4 stock with fiberlite. (on hand).

3) Replace upper with A1 or C7 depending on availability (or leave it be if I'm broke).

4) use JB weld to fill in "restricted markings". Spray with Norrels or similar moly resin to make lower "colt gray"

5) At such a point in my life that I have a stable job (a long time from now), register as an SBR and complete Colt 733.

ETA: Is this an actual pic of a Colt 733? If so, I may not bother with a C7 upper and go with A1 instead.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, with all this 733 Commando talk I decided I needed to take a picture or two of my latest build and post it here. In the Republik of Illinois we are not allowed to have SBR's even if God himself would sign the paperwork. The closest we can get is to an SBR is to build our guns as pistols so, here is my take on a Illinois friendly Commando.

I used a NDS-16A1 black lower and a EE black C7 upper. I can't remember where I got the 11.5" barrel. I used a Magpul enhanced trigger guard just because I had it in the parts box. The handguards are Colt 6 hole. Don't look too close or you might see that there is a cotter key holding the sight wheel. I thought I had the correct roll pin in the parts box but when I was putting things together I found out that I didn't have the correct pin and I'm not going to pay shipping on a single roll pin.

Doc
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ETA: Is this an actual pic of a Colt 733? If so, I may not bother with a C7 upper and go with A1 instead.

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos11/jan/vk228m16m.jpg

Appears to be, listed here, fourth from the top:  http://www.autoweapons.com/products/products.html
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top