Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2011 8:29:10 PM EDT
Is there a standard method of attaching the "seatbelt" slings to xm177? Is the through the FSB kinda the norm? Im waiting on one in the mail

Today, I found some really soft straps and sling components at the local jackass surplus store and I came up with this for a sling with hooks. It looks like the part on the stocks is in the way but its really not, its almost flush with the side of the stock. The photo makes it look worse.

Its also pretty darn sturdy popped through the slot. Very comfortable with the wide strap.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I did mine like the picture of the "shorty" in the comic book manual, then added a front sling ring through the FSB.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I did mine like the picture of the "shorty" in the comic book manual, then added a front sling ring through the FSB.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/A.jpg

Thanks, been looking at photos and trying to figure out what will work best for me.  So the "cleat" or clamp adjuster is close to the stock right?  Been playing with a canvas one, but its missing the clamp part.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I never could get the GI sling to work for anything but a carry strap, not an 'assault sling' by any means. I played with a bunch of options, but ended up just using knotted paracord.

I've seen pics of SOG with M1 Carbine slings, USGI canvas and nylon slings, paracord, what looks like surgical tubing, rappelling rope, AK slings, you name it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#4]
if you want to use that GP sling on a carbine do a search for field expedient slings....get rid of all the metal stuff near the stock

like this
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I use my sling set up in the picture to carry two ways:  1st is over the head, across the back of the neck, and over both shoulders to the weapon across my lower chest.  The second way is over the right (strong) shoulder, weapon with muzzle down, an butt under my arm pit, hand on the pistol grip.  Both ways present the weapon in a firing position very easily without getting tangled like single or three point slings.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Great link, thanks!  I will probably do that to the stock end on my aluminum stock for sure. I was just surprised how well it worked and how sturdy.  

I found some swivels for deep sea fishing that I have on the fsb now that work nice but I think I'm gonna do the fsb like the xm middy posted a ways back. It has a swivel base from a d stock attached with a Allen bolt and pin right above the gas tube hole. Really slick and clean looking.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like it works, but I sure hope thats a plastic stock your using because that clip through the loop would rip the vinyl or powdercoating right off after a popping it on and off a few times.  Like the other posts said, do a search on the field expedient slings, you can attach that thing without using any metal parts
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like it works, but I sure hope thats a plastic stock your using because that clip through the loop would rip the vinyl or powdercoating right off after a popping it on and off a few times.  Like the other posts said, do a search on the field expedient slings, you can attach that thing without using any metal parts

Haha totally junky 5 dollar plastic carbine stock. I'm still on the fence about what to finish my raw aluminum one with, flat black moly resin with little prep work so it will wear quickly, or do it right with xm gray,  gloss black moly resin. Or, powder coat gloss black. Decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha totally junky 5 dollar plastic carbine stock. I'm still on the fence about what to finish my raw aluminum one with, flat black moly resin with little prep work so it will wear quickly, or do it right with xm gray,  gloss black moly resin. Or, powder coat gloss black. Decisions, decisions.

if I had another raw aluminum stock to refinish I think I would have it anodized (used AlumaHyde II on the last one)...saw a member who had done that awhile back and it sure did look sweet
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Today, I found some really soft straps and sling components at the local jackass surplus store and I came up with this for a sling with hooks.

The strap in question is called a GP (General Purpose) strap. It was generally issued with the 2-quart soft plastic canteen. And yeah, we frequently adapted them as slings rather than the seatbelt or "silent" slings.

It looks like the part on the stocks is in the way but its really not, its almost flush with the side of the stock. The photo makes it look worse.

Its also pretty darn sturdy popped through the slot. Very comfortable with the wide strap.

Your sling attachment is ingenious, but wouldn't have been used in the field. Why? Too noisy. Last thing before a recon team (principal users of the xM) went out, they'd do final inspection. One thing you do is jump up and down and listen (and your buddy listens to you). Anything that sounds unnatural or mechanical would be dropped like a hot rock. It could get you killed. A particular weakness of the GP strap was the likelihood of the metal fixtures on it hitting the handguards –– this is more of a problem with the very distinct sound of M16A1 handguards than with carbine guards, but they too have a distinctive sound, and you can bet the enemy knew it.

So what was done?

- The Ranger School solution was "no sling." Not really practical when you might be going in and out on the ropes. But they would take the sling off, and tape the sling swivel(s) down with green 100 mile an hour tape –– both of them if they were both on a pivot, only the front one if the rear had the Type E stock fixed swivel. I believe that's why the Type E stock has the fixed swivel, actually.

- One SF solution was more of that 100-mile-an-hour tape. If you applied enough of this to the metal parts of your GP strap, it would quiet it right down. This is just good old duct tape, in Army issue OD.

–– A more elegant SF solution was to remove the metal hardware at both ends of the GP strap and replace them with a loop of 550 cord (parachute shroud line cord) tied with a square knot. the loops attach to the sling attachment on the buttstock, and to the FSB.

–– A low-budget solution for infil and exfil only was to make a whole sling of 550 cord. This would let you sling arms for rappel in and McGuire/STABO out.

Hope this helps. Gotta organize my pictures some day.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Your sling attachment is ingenious, but wouldn't have been used in the field. Why? Too noisy. Last thing before a recon team (principal users of the xM) went out, they'd do final inspection. One thing you do is jump up and down and listen (and your buddy listens to you). Anything that sounds unnatural or mechanical would be dropped like a hot rock. It could get you killed. A particular weakness of the GP strap was the likelihood of the metal fixtures on it hitting the handguards –– this is more of a problem with the very distinct sound of M16A1 handguards than with carbine guards, but they too have a distinctive sound, and you can bet the enemy knew it.

Yep, it is noisy. The older canvas m14 sling I bought that had those spring ends was wrapped in old green tape, just like you describe.  Thanks for the info hognose!
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice build. The guy I bought the five colt 601 buttstocks from also sold me car handguards, next week I am buying a CAR collapsible stock from him for $75. So sometime in the next 6 months to year I will have a CAR 15 clone also.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice build. The guy I bought the five colt 601 buttstocks from also sold me car handguards, next week I am buying a CAR collapsible stock from him for $75. So sometime in the next 6 months to year I will have a CAR 15 clone also.

Thank you! That sounds like a good guy to know! If its a original colt in good shape you scored again!
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can find one, a BAR or M14E2 Sling in the 1.25" cotton canvas, are longer than the rifle slings.  Just remove the spring clips.  Should be able to hang the Shorty at the hip with them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I got my BAR sling from THO..was NIW.  THe extra length allows it to hang much lower when slung around the neck.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you can find one, a BAR or M14E2 Sling in the 1.25" cotton canvas, are longer than the rifle slings.  Just remove the spring clips.  Should be able to hang the Shorty at the hip with them.

For the record,if you can find a copy of the 1967 dated TM manual for the XM177E2 you will find in the parts and accessories listing that the canvas BAR sling FSN (federal stock number)  IS in fact listed for use with the XM177E2.Yep,check an old BAR manual and compare stock numbers.Samey samey...........

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 5:39:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Not USGI, but an Uzi sling works pretty well too. I think the GP sling with 550 cord is the best solution for a carbine though - hell, maybe the best period. Screw all that tacticool 3pt nonsense.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Got some paracord, found a excellent unissued condition seatbelt sling at a Gun show but passed, but its 25 bucks, that seems a little high doesn't it? Its like new.

Link Posted: 6/25/2011 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Those general purpose straps go for around 2-5 bucks. They were used on the 2 quart canteens, TA-312s, and a host of other items. I used one for years on my MOPP suit bag.
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 4:59:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Those general purpose straps go for around 2-5 bucks. They were used on the 2 quart canteens, TA-312s, and a host of other items. I used one for years on my MOPP suit bag.

it's been awhile since I bought them, but I think Sportsman Guide sold them in packs of 30 for $25...I gave about 20 of 'em away in the "retro pay it forward" thread
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's been awhile since I bought them, but I think Sportsman Guide sold them in packs of 30 for $25...I gave about 20 of 'em away in the "retro pay it forward" thread
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/IMG_0050.jpg

Wish they still had those.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Regarding how to attach the "seat belt" web M1 sling, the shorty thread has a couple good pics posted by member uxb, one on page 1 shows a pic from back-in-the-day of a G.I. wearing a steel pot holding up his XM177E1, about 19 posts down from the top of the page.  Also one of uxb's own carbines on page 7, about 4 posts down from top of the page.  Also page 4 about 19 down.  

That's how I've got mine rigged, and I can see where the longer BAR sling would work better.  But, I can see where the paracord/GP slings might work better still.  Need to give them both a try eventually.

Shorty thread

Link Posted: 6/29/2011 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Regarding how to attach the "seat belt" web M1 sling, the shorty thread has a couple good pics posted by member uxb, one on page 1 shows a pic from back-in-the-day of a G.I. wearing a steel pot holding up his XM177E1, about 19 posts down from the top of the page.  Also one of uxb's own carbines on page 7, about 4 posts down from top of the page.  Also page 4 about 19 down.  

That's how I've got mine rigged, and I can see where the longer BAR sling would work better.  But, I can see where the paracord/GP slings might work better still.  Need to give them both a try eventually.

Shorty thread

Great thread! Uxb has some nice stuff for sure.  After trying it many ways I think I like the sling attached to the fsb better than below, so I'm thinking I'll do the swivel base i mentioned in a earlier reply thats on the fsb this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

XM gray with gloss black moly resin over the top!
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Finally came up with a slick way to attach the sling with paracord. I tried different ways of looping it on the stock, and this seemed to be the best. Probably done before but heres a pic anyway.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Sir
your "seat belt" sling is technically known as a general purpose strap. The military used them on all sorts of pouches like the general purpose bag or grenade bag and 2 qaurt canteen strap. Most people are most familiar with them in that usage.  

As far as rigging them for slings I have done it many times and I use Parachute cord first of all its Vietnam tested and Approved and its cheap and quiet.  What you got on your rifle looks like its probably loud and clanky and that just won't do on a SF rifle.    

I would remove the clip from one end and run the paracord thru the strap and feed it thru the sling loop on the buttstock.  Then I would tie a small loop of paracord thru my FSB and use the remaining clip to go thru the paracord loop.  Quiet and easy to do Trust me if you use your rifle in the field or even at the range you will thank me :)

ODAR
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Pardon me sir I didn't mean to tell you what you already found out !  For some reason the thread didnt't load until I posted the description of how to rig it sorry I wan't trying to be redundant.

ODAR
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sir
your "seat belt" sling is technically known as a general purpose strap. The military used them on all sorts of pouches like the general purpose bag or grenade bag and 2 qaurt canteen strap. Most people are most familiar with them in that usage.  

As far as rigging them for slings I have done it many times and I use Parachute cord first of all its Vietnam tested and Approved and its cheap and quiet.  What you got on your rifle looks like its probably loud and clanky and that just won't do on a SF rifle.    

I would remove the clip from one end and run the paracord thru the strap and feed it thru the sling loop on the buttstock.  Then I would tie a small loop of paracord thru my FSB and use the remaining clip to go thru the paracord loop.  Quiet and easy to do Trust me if you use your rifle in the field or even at the range you will thank me :)

ODAR

You are correct, Thank you..The original post was about the nylon M14/M1A sling I have. Along the way (read the first page) I found the GP straps and like those better. I took off the clips and just have paracord now. Much more quiet. ETA Im changing up the FSB to a double fishermans knot.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Would you believe it..... a GP Strap for the "Buy It Now" price of $49.99!!!!!  [:O

GP Strap]

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn
this thread is really making me want to get my retro rifle built!!!!
Also I went hiking all day yesterday in the hills of tennesee and I was walking thru a part of the trail that had a forest fire earlier in the year and there were blackened tree trunks and knocked down trees. Just as I was walking thru this part of the trail a commercial UH1 flew up the valley with its distintive rotor sound and I felt like I was in the Vietnamese high country from then on I couldn't think of anything but building my my own rifle.

ODAR
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#32]
49.99? daaayum. I paid like 6 bucks for 2.

ODAR, build it!

Brent
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Would you believe it..... a GP Strap for the "Buy It Now" price of $49.99!!!!!  [:O

GP Strap]

That's ridiculous.  They're super cheap at my local surplus store.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#34]
i picked up a canvas GP sling at the brainerd Army Navy store for 3.50 today.  It was a little smelly so I washed it in palm olive dish soap and hung it out to dry and now its great.  The old clips had all the blackening wore off of them and they are yellow brass underneath.   It has  a very fresh looking ink stamp and is a light green color. I like it now I got to work on my damn rifle and see if I can't get it built!

ODAR
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top