Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/10/2011 6:43:47 AM EDT
I thought I would post this as its something I have been thinking about for a long time.  

I have seen a few vietnam era pics of guys with XM177e1's with full length rifle stocks on them. I don't have acess to the pics but  you probably have seen them.

one is a vietnamese arvn wearing a khaki colored uniform and smoking the other is a U.S. soldier and I think he might be medic. There is one other photo but you can barely see it as the rifle is resting on the ground vertically.  What do you make of these carbines? I have alway wondered if it was a parts replacment issue and collapsing stocks may not have been available. I think its a interesting look and not a bad idea. I love the colapsing stock and it really is part of the amazing look of these rifles but I like the fixed stock look also particulary if the rifle has a very short barrel like the XM77e1 does.

ODAR

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I have all the pics you mention.  Here's another.

The consensus is that it was a personal preference thing and that the shorty system would operate better with the longer dwell time and heavier full stock buffer.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was stupid looking until I tried it. Carbines with A1 stocks are very comfortable - very ergonomic, and you are only giving up a couple inches from totally collapsed. It also doesn't grab your beard, and as was mentioned, the rifle buffer is about the same weight as a 9mm buffer, and we know heavier buffers in short carbines are generally good. I haven't shot it yet, but I am running my A2/M4 on a fixed stock and love it. I have to say, I'm guessing the real reason for the XM177 pics you see was just trying to make the thing run consistently, since they didn't have heavy carbine buffers then. The 651/652 has a wonderful feel to it - only thing better might be a middy. After handling fixed stock carbines, I'm totally sold.

ETA: Anyone notice that the mag in the top photo Hal posted is an early fully-curved 30 rnd? I've seen that pic dozens of times and never noticed...
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#4]
going by the title, I thought this was going to be about carbine stock repairs
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#5]
That set up is going to be my very next build, a Model 651.

Here they are on RBR: Model 651 & 652
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I find it interesting that every pic I ever see of a Vietnam era carbine with a full stock is only ever the E1.  I have not seen a pic of an E2 with a full stock.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I find it interesting that every pic I ever see of a Vietnam era carbine with a full stock is only ever the E1.  I have not seen a pic of an E2 with a full stock.

Looks like Hal143's first pic is a E2.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like Hal143's first pic is a E2.

Think it's time I went to see the eye doctor again! :)

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#9]
woops it was supposed to read Fixed stock :)

the pic of the guy with the map is the one I was trying to remember that was the first one I ever saw and it does indeed look like an E2...also I think it is a 30 round magazine I had originally thought it was 2-20 round magazines taped together but it appears to have a slight curve.  I myself have always loved the A1 length stock and collapsing stocks have never felt quite right to me.

Maybe I'll put a A1 stock on my build...that would solve my problem of not having a two postion stock.  I think my aluminum stock is a bushmaster which used commercial tubes the tube I have is a 3 position and I believe its milspec tube becuase the stock I have is very loose on it.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been putting A1 stocks on all my AR's for about 2 years and find them to be the most comfy, best fit.
Usually just have collapsible stocks on the kids AR's.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I like how they feel, hate how they look on carbines.

I've put my trapdoor on several builds now.  I am fine at the range but it starts to gnaw on my sense of aesthetics.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Great pictures. I have a fixed stocks on all my ARs.

I run the old non-trapdoor M16 stocks on all my AR's.

Paladin
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Right now the only non fixed stock I have is a GUU-5P, the rest are either D,E or A2 fixed stocks.  I always thought the fixed stock was kinda weird looking on a carbine, I only built my 651 originally because it was cheaper than finding the right adjustable stock for it.  I figured I could always add one later and make a 653 out of it.  But then I shouldered it and.....Damn!  I love that carbine!  
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#15]
This is my Wife's first build. A "Sorta 651" she made a few changes for preference and a couple for NY compliance. Great shooting little carbine, she loves it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny this thread popping up.  When I Kalifornistan, I have a pinned collapsible stock (and hammerhead non-grip) on my GAU to make it "featureless" so I can use my high cap mags.  I was thinking how useless a pinned CAR stock is, and thought of putting a type D or E on it.  I have an A2 stock, but I like the shorter A1 stock.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#17]
There's just some things that I think are hideous to look at:

1) fixed stocks on carbines
2) collapsible stocks on rifles
3) 20-round mags in carbines
4) 30-round mags in rifles
5) barrels w/o flash suppressors
6) pistol grips other than A1/A2
7) Magpul stuff
8) ETA: non-standard trigger guards

That said, I basically don't shoot - I simply put clone-type guns together for the enjoyment of it and realize things like 651/652s and Canadian service weapons with the collapsible stocks & 20" bbls work great.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

7) Magpul stuff

That said, I basically don't shoot - I simply put clone-type guns together for the enjoyment of it and realize things like 651/652s and Canadian service weapons with the collapsible stocks & 20" bbls work great.

I could not agree with you more on #2.

You don't even like the Hogue grips? (This is as far away from Retro I will take this post. )
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

7) Magpul stuff

I agree with you on everything except 3 and 4.  I prefer the look of a 20rd mag in both carbines and rifles. Number 2 in particular is extremely ugly and wrong looking, 6,7,8 go without saying.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like how they feel, hate how they look on carbines.

I've put my trapdoor on several builds now.  I am fine at the range but it starts to gnaw on my sense of aesthetics.

Kid of like big gals and mopeds, fun to ride but you don't want your friends to see you doin' it..................

Hahahaha! Mikem you are wise beyond your years!!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Kid of like big gals and mopeds, fun to ride but you don't want your friends to see you doin' it

Never been on a moped, but never worried what others thought about riding anything else. Mostly because I got to ride and they were sitting in the barracks with Rosie and Palmala!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is my Wife's first build. A "Sorta 651" she made a few changes for preference and a couple for NY compliance. Great shooting little carbine, she loves it.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/GarandBoy/DSC00578_2.jpg
I have a similar carbine but used a short fixed entry stock.  I like the shape of the handguards as well as the retro-ish look, but then I preferred the handguards on the A1 to the ones on the A2 I was re-issued.  

It used to have a NoDak spud A1 lower but I put that on a more authentic retro build.  Still, true retro or not, it's become my favorite carbine.  

Link Posted: 7/11/2011 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a similar carbine but used a short fixed entry stock.  I like the shape of the handguards as well as the retro-ish look, but then I preferred the handguards on the A1 to the ones on the A2 I was re-issued.  

It used to have a NoDak spud A1 lower but I put that on a more authentic retro build.  Still, true retro or not, it's become my favorite carbine.  

I'll post a better pick tomorrow, when I've got more light and a better background to work with.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/533/carbine50.JPG

That's hot.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll post a better pick tomorrow, when I've got more light and a better background to work with.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/533/carbine50.JPG

That is pretty damn cool!  Me likey!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Here are two more. I've had them saved for awhile.
1st one is a display with NV.
2nd you can see cleaning rods taped to the buttstock. And the flash hider & ejection port taped up. Maybe he's heading for the water.

Link Posted: 7/11/2011 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
2nd you can see cleaning rods taped to the buttstock. And the flash hider & ejection port taped up. Maybe he's heading for the water.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff160/nosepiece/rs7.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff160/nosepiece/sogrtutahor4.jpg

I'll see your two and raise ya this hardly, if ever seen pic.

Link Posted: 7/11/2011 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff160/nosepiece/rs7.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff160/nosepiece/sogrtutahor4.jpg

I'll see your two and raise ya this hardly, if ever seen pic.

Is the full length rifle painted camo ?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj149/halpark/Partsw.jpg

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top