Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2011 6:40:12 PM EDT
Ever since my friend got me into retro ARs, I have wanted a replica of a 603 that would have been manufactured right around when my uncle served in Vietnam.  I don't know the dates he was there, but I remember him telling me about taking cover from mortar shells during the Tet Offensive.  The year of manufacture I had in mind was 1967 and I think I came up with something close.  (when you look at it from the outside)  The upper receiver is a no forge code Colt with a slight green tint to the anodizing, barrel is a "MP 12" and no drain hole in the FSB, early bend gas tube, kinda shiny "L R" drain hole hand guards, and a bird cage flash hider.  With the no drain hole FSB the barrel is probably from 1966 and would have had a 3 prong originally, but I put a bird cage on it because it probably would have been changed out by the time my uncle was there.  I paired up a nice set of matte no drain hole hand guards but they look very new, I think of the ones on it as worn replacements but I'm on the fence which way to go.  The upper assembly came with a black slip ring so the components may not be original to each other.  I shopped around for a purple slip ring but the one I already accidentally owned (before I knew what a purple slip ring was) turned out to be the most purple.  (Am I understanding the purple slip ring thing correctly?  I am looking at original SP1 auctions for comparison)  The gray buffer tube, spring, buffer, and BCG, and CH are all from a Century imported kit, LPK parts are a mix, stock is from the EE, shiny grip was found in a bucket of grips at a local show, cotton "MRT" sling was found at a surplus store for $9 or so.  (prices have since gone up and the nice ones are all gone)  One of the bigger cheats / cost cutting measures I am guilty of is the full fence NDS lower.  A while back they had magwell blem 9mm lowers for $100, I couldn't resist.  I always wanted a partial fence lower for this project, but there are a few full fence XM16E1s out there so I am using that as an excuse / justification.  I've only shot it a few times, I'm too disorganized to know how to give a range report but it sure is fun shooting at garbage in a gravel pit.  Here are some pictures, the top 2 pictures were taken in florescent lighting and the slip ring doesn't look purple as a result.

(full width)

(full width)

I like the upper receiver / barrel components of this rifle, thin parkerizing on the barrel from handling, manufacture flaw(s) above the FA bump on the receiver,  rifle rack dents on the ramp of the FSB.  "Flaws" are the front swivel was held with a rivet and the park got worn away, I'm assuming the bare spot on the left side of the upper receiver is from bouncing around a barrel of surplus upper assemblies.  (Am I right about this?)
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Why we ever deviated from something so hot and sweet is beyond me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty darn close.  I like it and think you did a great job.  Think the no drain HG's would be pretty correct.  The L&R with holes were a little later.  Nothing wrong with the full fence lower for keeping the mags in it.  Wonder if your uncle would remember how his was set up?   Most my VN vet buddies don't remember much about their M-16's unless they were there early and they usually prefered the M-14.  Thought they were a little better for shooting through the brush.  Old vs new way of thinking.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice looking 03 somebob. Looking forward to seeing the other one you're building.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good Somebob. We never get tired of seeing basic XM/A1 builds. What interests me about this period is that rifles could have been seen with a number of different features - Is it an XM16E1 or A1? Well technically it would depend on the roll mark it wore, but either way the basic A1 is a real pleasure to handle, carry and shoot. It's an iconic firearm, like the 1911 or SAA. When I pick mine up I have flashbacks and I wasn't even in Vietnam!
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Your rifle looks really good... just like it should!  Thanks for sharing the pictures.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I always get excited when you post a new project, somebob, and this one doesn't disappoint! Great photos you provide as well! 603's are my favorite retro variant, and I love seeing them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
As others have already stated - Classic make/model - and fine execution.

Congrats, hope to see more as time goes on.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it looks great. The wear and all just makes it look "right". Great job, lovingly executed!!!
Mike B
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks good!! BTW, Tet offensive was in 1968. I came back in 1967, thank God.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know much about correctness but I do know something good when I see it. Excellent job!
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice rifle!
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the nice comments, I'm glad you like it.  Here is an old thread about a full fence XM16E1 that came up for sale, I guess this build could be thought of as a replica of something like that.  I think the only thing "wrong" with my lower receiver is the boss for the bolt catch roll pin is square on the NDS full fence (M16A1) lower and is round on the real XM16E1 lower.  (Now that I look at that XM16E1, I see that the upper receiver is a very early forging and doesn't line up with the mag well on the left side, did anyone else notice this?)  As far as the time line goes, I'm figuring if someone served in Vietnam and was there for the Tet Offensive they most likely were there from some time in 1967 to 1968.  (right?)  I suppose any rifle older than January 1968 could have been used by someone like my uncle, but I was just imagining he was issued a new rifle and that it would have been manufactured some time in 1967.  

I have a couple more pictures in the album if anyone wants to see.
http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/somebob/XM16E1/

ETA:  TODO list:  Re-park LPK pieces and look for an older BCG.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top