Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2012 4:47:37 PM EDT
Please let me know if a different thread has already covered this.

Is there any way to build a dissy using an already lightweight 16" barrel? Since the barrel forward of the FSB is smaller than .625 the only thing I can think would be to use a small shim and screw-tightened FSB... not ideal but I really want to turn my lightweight into a 605!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
A 605 is a 20" barrel cut down to just forward of the FSB.  

Not sure I'm following what you want to do with your 16" barrel....
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

he wants to move the FSB forward basically like a dissipator.  it's doable but probably not worth the trouble.  your options are to weld the gas port, relocated the FSB and redrill the gas port and install the FSB or to shave the current FSB down and install a new FSB at the rifle area keeping the carbine length gas tube intact.

you'll spend more on those 2 options than to find a 20" barrel to cut down.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

he wants to move the FSB forward basically like a dissipator.  it's doable but probably not worth the trouble.  your options are to weld the gas port, relocated the FSB and redrill the gas port and install the FSB or to shave the current FSB down and install a new FSB at the rifle area keeping the carbine length gas tube intact.

you'll spend more on those 2 options than to find a 20" barrel to cut down.

I agree.Find a 20" and cut it down.You could even do an A2 profile barrel and have addco turn it down and pin the FSB.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
But it will run reliably with a carbine gas dissipator setup where it may be hit or miss even with an opened up gas port and a cut down 20" as Colt found out.

I am doing the same thing on an HBAR 16" barrel but I'm not sure what you would do with a lightweight barrel other than what you mentioned with a shim and/or a clamp on FSB. I used a clamp on with mine but it's off getting pinned now.

I think it would be hard to get it to tighten up enough on a LW barrel, who knows but I wouldn't sling off of it even if it did tighten up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#5]
They do this with 12.5" barrels - it's called a Kino configuration or something. Bushmaster sells barrels this way, but I don't see why you couldn't shave the FSB into a gas block and install a new FSB at the front in a new position. Probably need to cut down a gas tube to help hold the triangular HG cap in place, but it's doable.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one of the "kit barrels" that just has to wait for me to have some money to chop and pin.

No historical relics will thus be butchered to feed my Retro Jones!

Tell ya the truth if I didn't have the kit barrel I would probably lop the FNMI barrel I have.

Unfortunately I now have to build a 603 around that barrel.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry should have mentioned yeah that's where the 'faux' part would come in, is having a shorter (actually midlength) gas system and FSB moved forward to rifle position just to hold the handguard.

Quoted:
...I am doing the same thing on an HBAR 16" barrel but I'm not sure what you would do with a lightweight barrel other than what you mentioned with a shim and/or a clamp on FSB. I used a clamp on with mine but it's off getting pinned now.

I think it would be hard to get it to tighten up enough on a LW barrel, who knows but I wouldn't sling off of it even if it did tighten up.

That was my worry exactly. Sounds like I'm just going to have to leave my LW carbine as is. I'm glad I've at least got the NDS middy triangular handguards on it.

At yesterday's gunshow in Portland I happened to look at and handle a 605... it just "clicked" - it was... perfect. At least I know what my next barrel buy will probably be.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#8]
As a carbine length gas system just barely fits under triangular HGs with some work to the HGs or gas block or both, I highly doubt a midlength gas system will fit. I have a set of HGs I bought from a guy that have the heat shields heavily modified for the carbine gas system. I plan on cutting them for shorties so the cuts don't matter, but just thought I'd mention this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Hope this helps.
You can reprofile a sight base to fit under the hand guards.
I had a bbl lying around and decided to do exactly what you are thinking about doing. Spent a few hours with a hand file and was able to shape the base so it fits under the guards without altering them. Only difference here is the bbl I have is .750.
You can see the base through the hand guards here.

after a little cold blue was added.

And after drilling and mounting the fsb and mounting it on the upper. It is going to be a 605 clone but didn't have a 3 prong on hand and wanted to protect the threads so put a bird cage on for now.

I have shot it and it works great, just need to get the lower and finish it up.
Send me an email if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Like I said, this can be done with a carbine gas system, but I doubt a midlength would fit. Nice work RRiggs!
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Like I said, this can be done with a carbine gas system, but I doubt a midlength would fit. Nice work RRiggs!

Morg308 your correct! I missed that it was going to be a mid-length system sorry!
And thanks, hoping the retro gods don't strike me down for building it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Not at all. I think it is THE way to build a 605 - for two reasons. Firstly, it should be more reliable, secondly, you aren't cutting a rare, older barrel. I understand why people want to make it 'correct', but IMO this is the way to build a 605.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]
The YHM one like this will fit under the rifle length triangular handguards without modification
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 2:21:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We did one for Harlan with a mid length gas system.

With a low-pro gas block it actually worked perfect, no trimming of the heat sheilds on the handguards was needed.

Wow - really? I wouldn't think even a lo-pro would fit. I stand corrected.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top