Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2012 4:10:31 AM EDT
OK Here's my NEARLY complete XM16E1 build!

NoDak XM16E1 lower with a "jellied" DPMS LPK

Upper is an early no code square forge that was given to me for free. I say free but yall know how that works. It infected me with RBRD so "free" has cost me a lot of money!

That upper was a pitted nasty mess and the legendary artist John Thomas made it beautiful again!

C MP CHROME BORE barrel assembly from the LM upper I bought at a Fun Show for the port door and rear sight.

BoyWonder Mottled Stock ETA No Tick Safety and Trigger Guard

Mottled Grip and Drain Hole Hand Guards from members here whose names I've forgotten.  

Gray Slip Ring from Dean

C marked Colt Bolt Assembly I got in an even trade with a RBR member for the early bend gas tube that came on my OOW upper.

TONS of advise and tips and help and inspiration from all you retro heads here! This project would not be complete without you guys help!

Still need to properly mount the barrel and install the gas tube. Needs a gray Mag button and a beat up FA assembly.

Also need to work the finish on the lower some more. It matches the round forge no code upper pretty good but is still too dark for this E1 upper.

Going to a Fun Show today and see if I can sell something to be able to finish this out.

Wonder how much I can get for one of the kids?  

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 4:23:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice, Good job. Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Great project!
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Fellas.

It aint as nice as some you guys have built but it'll do.

It now sports a gray mag release button at least.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice,,and that's a "very early square forge receiver",,it lines up nice with the lower..Nice job!
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks good to go. Nice work. It takes commitment to build something like this these days. As far as the kids go, they are worthless...and priceless. Hang onto them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice,,and that's a "very early square forge receiver",,it lines up nice with the lower..Nice job!

That's why I went for the XM16E1 (except of course the chrome bolt group).

I guess it's really a regular run of the mill 603 mutt.

I have the later no code round forge upper on it now (gotta play with my toys) and the colors match a lot better so it might just stay!

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks good to go. Nice work. It takes commitment to build something like this these days. As far as the kids go, they are worthless...and priceless. Hang onto them.

Commitment? As in should be committed?
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Your XM looks great!

I'm a 603 fanatic.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
That is really cool, love the early square upper receiver.  I can't remember if you posted pictures of the upper already, do you have pictures for a before / after comparison?  Do you have a link to a previous thread?

Quoted:

That upper was a pitted nasty mess and the legendary artist John Thomas made it beautiful again!

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Commitment? As in should be committed?

If you are, then they'll have to take all of us in the same van.

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are, then they'll have to take all of us in the same van.

Never seen a van that big.  I'm thinking ocean liner to Retro Island.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#12]
somebob I'll have to look. I did post pics after I stripped the black spray paint.

Morg and Cdenmark is THIS the ocean liner you guys mean?

Link Posted: 1/15/2012 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Before and After pics as requested by somebob.

I'd forgotten how rough it was before I buffed the sheet out of it and John Thomas did his magic!

Link Posted: 1/15/2012 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank Bob. It was butt ugly before wasn't it?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top