Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
nice!
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Do want, I would reactivate it by merging it with an armalite
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It's an old spec deac too, so thats nice since its not done under the new specs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Armeiro you always dig up the coolest stuff.  Think I'd want to re-activate it.  Sure looks like most the pieces are there.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I so want one!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't see the auto sear pin,,but what else is done to "deactivate" it??
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
This rifle is not some rare one-of-a-kind prototype. Rather, it is a war-worn late production Porto that has been enhanced, probably due to the lack of original parts.  The carry handle has been shaved (and weakened) to accomodate some sort of scope mount. A handguard system was likely manufactured because the original was broken or missing.  (ingenious bipod though!) The wooden buttstock is a nice looking replacement for the original polycarbonate which tended to break when shooting rifle grenades.  Only a few of the earliest Dutch prototype AR10's had wooden buttstocks.  This one is well done when compared to others.

I checked with one Brit deac seller and (typically) the pressure related parts have been ruined on the old spec's.  The bolt and carrier are cut.  The chamber drilled and blocked. The gas tube punchered.  However, the action stilll will cycle and go "click" when the trigger is pulled.

There is an AR10 that had been listed on www.guncity.co.nz for maybe a couple of years now.  It's carry handle has also been shaved to the point where it must be very weak.  Notice also the FSB has been whacked off.  

My favorite enhanced AR10 is shown below, compared to what it must have looked like before bubba'd.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I think Olgunner should replicate those HGs on his. That is awesome. Love the look, and makes sense, especially HBAR.

ETA: I think it's important at this point to ask if the prototype FSB's in the work could be machined to work with .30 barrels....
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 2:46:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I think (because of the Wilke wood on it) the carry handle was cut to be able to use the Wilke scope mount.
Mine fits the carryhandle but then the rings don't fit the mount anymore.
The ears around the sight are in the way then.
Is that a heatshield from the M14 ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 3:37:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Christ, how prices have risen on these Brit deactivated "guns" in the last 20 years.  When I lived there, I almost picked up a deact MP5 for grins...for 150 GB pounds.

ka
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow. I like the flat topped carry handle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#13]
What if it were a Colt 601 and had a chopped carry handle?  I would suspect many more would be disgusted or saddened.

I hope the guy who chopped the carry handle did so out of necessity, since that operation also resulted in the loss of charging handle.

It is an amputation to say the least.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw a fully-functional one for sale, several years ago. Sometimes they turn up here and are sold (legally) for export. There is a lot of bureaucracy and masses of licensing involved.

If it's been deactivated, they do a pretty good job of making them paperweights. People certainly had working models back when they were still legal. Between confiscations and deactivation, the UK has probably been a grave for quite a few unfortunate AR-10s.

Quoted:
Christ, how prices have risen on these Brit deactivated "guns" in the last 20 years.  When I lived there, I almost picked up a deact MP5 for grins...for 150 GB pounds.

They are worth more than a functional version these days... well, that's mainly a guess, but I doubt a fuctional one sold for export would fetch much more. If you're prepared to deactivate legally owned firearms, you add some serious value to quite a number of pieces.

Link Posted: 2/2/2012 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think (because of the Wilke wood on it) the carry handle was cut to be able to use the Wilke scope mount.

If by Wilke wood you mean generically, I get your point. I'm not sure the wood on this rifle is specifically from Pete Wilke, I have a set of Wilke wood laying around and this wood looks a little better.  
As HHollow said the furniture certainly isn't factory original.

There are A.I. factory uppers made for scope mounting for the Portuguese and even the Sudanese rifles as I am sure we all know. I had a nice Sudanese sniper upper that came with my rifle I sold to a friend last year. Since the only scope I found for it in years sold for over 3K (and it had no mount) there was not much chance I was going to find one. I replaced it with a standard Sudanese upper from Pete W. before he retired.

Link Posted: 2/2/2012 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#16]
This is a TAG!
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I like it.  Functional at least.

How does that inside-the-handle charging handle work?  While it is ambi, it doesn't look very ergo...

And man, those other bubba jobs....so sad.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like camera tripod legs!

As far as I understand, anything with a bipod is a "Machine gun" and can still be deactivated to "Old spec' even today.

However, an assault rifle can not.

Link Posted: 2/2/2012 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This definitely doesn't look like the Wilke wood that came with my spare parts kit.  I'm not sure who might have built this one, but I really wouldn't mind replacing my Wilke handguard with that one.  It might not be "authentic" but it's kinda cool!

I also have one of Wilke's scope mounts and it doesn't require modification of the carry handle.  It slips fairly easily onto my auto gun, but takes some serious pressure to go on the semi-auto (differences in the finish thickness?).  I haven't actually tried the mount because the rings sit pretty high.  Scoped, you'd have to use a chin weld instead of a cheek weld!

And, yes, I need to find time to take some pics.  I finally managed to bring home my select-fire Portuguese last weekend.  It took the ATF five and a half months to approve my form 4, after which it took me another 6 wks to find a chance to drive across state to pick up the rifle.
Worse...I haven't even had time to shoot it this week!
I have got to find a less demanding job.  

ETA: Quick cell phone photo:
This is the Wilke mount in position (there's a cutout in the underside of the aluminum bar that fits over the rear sight) but not clamped down (there are three clamping points––two up front and one in the rear).  It's a fairly snug fit, but not as tight on this one as on either of my other uppers.

Like I said, I've not shot with a scope on this mount and may never decide to, but it's nice to have the option...even if it's not particularly pretty.
Would be nice if you could use the iron sights with the mount in place.  The rear clamp, unfortunately, would make that impossible.

Link Posted: 2/2/2012 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow.  That is one sweet looking rifle.  Almost like a cross between the standard and the squad version.  Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#21]
The metal h/g top makes it look Mini-14'sh.

Link Posted: 2/2/2012 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This definitely doesn't look like the Wilke wood that came with my spare parts kit.  I'm not sure who might have built this one, but I really wouldn't mind replacing my Wilke handguard with that one.  It might not be "authentic" but it's kinda cool!

I also have one of Wilke's scope mounts and it doesn't require modification of the carry handle.  It slips fairly easily onto my auto gun, but takes some serious pressure to go on the semi-auto (differences in the finish thickness?).  I haven't actually tried the mount because the rings sit pretty high.  Scoped, you'd have to use a chin weld instead of a cheek weld!

And, yes, I need to find time to take some pics.  I finally managed to bring home my select-fire Portuguese last weekend.  It took the ATF five and a half months to approve my form 4, after which it took me another 6 wks to find a chance to drive across state to pick up the rifle.
Worse...I haven't even had time to shoot it this week!
I have got to find a less demanding job.  

ETA: Quick cell phone photo:
This is the Wilke mount in position (there's a cutout in the underside of the aluminum bar that fits over the rear sight) but not clamped down (there are three clamping points––two up front and one in the rear).  It's a fairly snug fit, but not as tight on this one as on either of my other uppers.

Like I said, I've not shot with a scope on this mount and may never decide to, but it's nice to have the option...even if it's not particularly pretty.
Would be nice if you could use the iron sights with the mount in place.  The rear clamp, unfortunately, would make that impossible.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt247/OlGunner/ScopeMnt.jpg

Hi Olgunner.
The mount I got looks the same but the rings on the back end touch the ears of the handle so it won't come down proper.
I got a Wilke stock too and it doesn't look much different than the one in the pic.
Does your Wilke handguard have the original sheetmetal liners ?
If so then I might have some original handguards for you.
They are used but don't look bad.
Stef.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hi Olgunner.
The mount I got looks the same but the rings on the back end touch the ears of the handle so it won't come down proper.
I got a Wilke stock too and it doesn't look much different than the one in the pic.
Stef.

Can you move the rings forward just enough to clear the ears of the handle?  Mine fits as the rings are positioned, but might not if I move the rear ring any further back.

Unfortunately, my Wilke handguard is the full-length, one-piece unit.  It doesn't look bad, for what it is, but I definitely prefer the real deal.

Board member AirForceMajor has the handguards off my semi-auto so he can see if he can replicate them (both inner and outer components).  I'm really hoping he's successful!
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Olgunner.
Stef.

Can you move the rings forward just enough to clear the ears of the handle?  Mine fits as the rings are positioned, but might not if I move the rear ring any further back.

Unfortunately, my Wilke handguard is the full-length, one-piece unit.  It doesn't look bad, for what it is, but I definitely prefer the real deal.

Board member AirForceMajor has the handguards off my semi-auto so he can see if he can replicate them (both inner and outer components).  I'm really hoping he's successful!

The rear ring on my scope mount can not go that far back.
It sits in the midle of the carry handle when the mount is put on all the way.
I have another set of rings and grinded off a bit on the side.
This works but doesn't look the best.
Thankfully my gunsmith is working on a mount to fit my K.R.R the way the Portugese did when one of there sniperrifles broke down.
The Delftscope was mounted to a base that was fixed on the carry handle by 4 screws on the side of the carry handle.
I will send pics when i get the rifle back and maybe you can post them for me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Olgunner.
Stef.

The rear ring on my scope mount can not go that far back.
It sits in the midle of the carry handle when the mount is put on all the way.
I have another set of rings and grinded off a bit on the side.
This works but doesn't look the best.
Thankfully my gunsmith is working on a mount to fit my K.R.R the way the Portugese did when one of there sniperrifles broke down.
The Delftscope was mounted to a base that was fixed on the carry handle by 4 screws on the side of the carry handle.
I will send pics when i get the rifle back and maybe you can post them for me.

Absolutely!  I look forward to seeing that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#26]

I am indeed trying to replicate the Portuguese inner
handguards.  I have been trying to hand
form them; with absolutely no success.  

I am now working on another method which is probably closer
to the way they were made originally; drawing the sheet metal using a set of
dies.  I have made up some wooden
patterns of the upper and lower inner handguards.  I'll use these to make molds into which I
will pour a zinc based metal known as kirksite.
Kirksite was developed either before WWII for use as a prototype sheet metal
drawing die material.  I just ordered 25
pounds of the stuff.  

Now I need to mix up some sand for the mold; I've used
Petrobond in the past when I was fooling around in someone else's foundry but
may have to make my own for this project.
It isn't hard to make as long as you can get the clay binder which I
think I can get downtown.

I also am in the process of building the press in which the
dies go; nothing fancy, just two uprights, top and bottom cross pieces and a
hydraulic bottle jack.  

I'll post pictures when I can.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am indeed trying to replicate the Portuguese innerhandguards.  I have been trying to handform them; with absolutely no success.  

I am now working on another method which is probably closerto the way they were made originally; drawing the sheet metal using a set ofdies.  I have made up some woodenpatterns of the upper and lower inner handguards.  I'll use these to make molds into which Iwill pour a zinc based metal known as kirksite. Kirksite was developed either before WWII for use as a prototype sheet metaldrawing die material.  I just ordered 25pounds of the stuff.  

Now I need to mix up some sand for the mold; I've usedPetrobond in the past when I was fooling around in someone else's foundry butmay have to make my own for this project. It isn't hard to make as long as you can get the clay binder which Ithink I can get downtown.

I also am in the process of building the press in which thedies go; nothing fancy, just two uprights, top and bottom cross pieces and ahydraulic bottle jack.  

I'll post pictures when I can.  

The collective skills of people on this board continually blow me away.
I've said it before––I hope you're photo-documenting the work you're doing.  I cannot wait to see a finished product!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top