Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2012 10:20:54 PM EDT
Okay...this is a strange one.  

I just picked up an assembled CAR-style upper off the EE for a decent price.  The term War Bastard comes to mind for this one.  PM upper, unknown chrome-lined heavy barrel EXTENSIVELY reworked.  Soldered flash hider on an 11.5" barrel. Vintage FSB... roll pinned (seller forgot to mention that one) to a barrel reprofiled from the handguards forward to pencil diameter. Weird, weird little thing, but oddly charming in its own fuggly way.

Two problems: FSB roll pins need to go; since it is already mated to the barrel this should just be a matter of driving out the pins and replacing them with taper pins...right? Please?

Second problem: there are no heat shields in the hand guards––because of the heavy profile? They are six hole, but don't look to have ever had heat shields.  Are there carbine handguards that will fit a barrel like this?
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Okay...this is a strange one.  

I just picked up an assembled CAR-style upper off the EE for a decent price.  The term War Bastard comes to mind for this one.  PM upper, unknown chrome-lined heavy barrel EXTENSIVELY reworked.  Soldered flash hider on an 11.5" barrel. Vintage FSB... roll pinned (seller forgot to mention that one) to a barrel reprofiled from the handguards forward to pencil diameter. Weird, weird little thing, but oddly charming in its own fuggly way.

Two problems: FSB roll pins need to go; since it is already mated to the barrel this should just be a matter of driving out the pins and replacing them with taper pins...right? Please?

Second problem: there are no heat shields in the hand guards––because of the heavy profile? They are six hole, but don't look to have ever had heat shields.  Are there carbine handguards that will fit a barrel like this?

i've seen some like that.  i think it was just a cost cutting measure from some aftermarket company that produced them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 4:15:03 AM EDT
[#2]
how heavy is the barrel?

here's a couple of pics of carbine HG's w/liners on my 6.8spc HBAR, that were taken when I  was mocking it up...they fit fine

ETA: and you'll have to taper ream the fsb pin holes before you can install the taper pins
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Two problems: FSB roll pins need to go; since it is already mated to the barrel this should just be a matter of driving out the pins and replacing them with taper pins...right?

As noted by crackedcornish, you'll have to ream the holes with a taper reamer to use taper pins...Why not just use straight pins if the holes aren't tapered??? A straight pin of mild steel can be made to fit tightly...  
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll post some pictures of the barrel tonight, but it looks pretty close to yours, Crackcornish (and by the way, nice hand guards!!)

The roll pins look like standard 1/8"; so you'd say just get some solid 1/8" pins, a punch, and have at it? I may just do that.  Any recommendation on where to get pins?
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll post some pictures of the barrel tonight, but it looks pretty close to yours, Crackcornish (and by the way, nice hand guards!!)

The roll pins look like standard 1/8"; so you'd say just get some solid 1/8" pins, a punch, and have at it? I may just do that.  Any recommendation on where to get pins?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=277

AR0020DOW 20 - Front sight dowel pin, each (2 required)  $3.00
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 1:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
how heavy is the barrel?

here's a couple of pics of carbine HG's w/liners on my 6.8spc HBAR, that were taken when I  was mocking it up...they fit fine
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/f2f624ca.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/2395f84a.jpg

ETA: and you'll have to taper ream the fsb pin holes before you can install the taper pins

Cracked - did JT do those HGs for you? They are tits! I actually atalked to him about doing a set like that. They look great bud. (But where's the REST of the carbine?)
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
how heavy is the barrel?

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/f2f624ca.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/2395f84a.jpg

Cracked - did JT do those HGs for you? They are tits! I actually atalked to him about doing a set like that. They look great bud. (But where's the REST of the carbine?)

yes, and he said he didn't like doing them at all because of the all of the ribs, and he wouldn't do any more of them

now that it's finished, the rest of the carbine resides in a state that allows collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs, flash hiders, and large capacity mags.....unlike mine
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top