Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2012 7:58:09 AM EDT
This is probably an irrelevant question, but I have never been able to figure out what
the slot in the back of a carry handle A1 style upper is for?

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not positive about this, but I always assumed that it was just unnecessary for there to be material there, so they profiled the forgings like that to reduce weight.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
This ^^^ sounds reasonable, & w/o it there it would be a weak point, so to ad structural integrity would be my guess.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This ^^^ sounds reasonable, & w/o it there it would be a weak point, so to ad structural integrity would be my guess.

Seems to me like you are thinking ass backward. The REMOVAL of the material would make it weaker, not leaving it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd assume that it's that way to protect the rear sight and to be able to attach accessories such as night sight/scope.

Sarge
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to me like you are thinking ass backward. The REMOVAL of the material would make it weaker, not leaving it.

Additional complex contours can actually strengthen a casting sometimes, even if it reduces overall outer dimensions. Not sure that is the case here. My guess is the original designers investigated before they produced it like that. It probably is a little weaker than having solid aluminum there, but still as strong or stronger than the front of the carry handle.

Mike_NDS could probably tell us more.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that not what I just said? Just in case you are confused, the OP was referring to the thin piece of metal left in the carry handle. Now read again what I said.

Visualize the receiver without the area in question, how strong does that look. With it it is stronger.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the OP is referring to the "slots" on either side of the "rib". I don't think he is asking why the rib is there, as it clearly needs to be there for structural purposes. I think he means why are the "slots" there instead of the area being solid and flush with the sides of the carry handle, basically the lack of material, not the presence of the rib.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, that is what I mean.  I understand it is there to maintain structure integrity, but it almost looks as if it were
meant to serve as a rail to slide some type of attachment on or something.  Not really sure why it is there, wish I
could just ask Eugene Stoner to find out lol.  Too bad I didn't have this question like 15 years ago I might could have
asked him!
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Meh, It's there because it looks freakin' uglay without it.

Look at one of those Olympic A1 uppers that are basically A2 forgings with A1 rear sights...
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#10]
OK, I guess I do not know what slots the OP is referring to. The web is the thing circled, so that is what I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I think he was asking why is the material thinner in the 'slots', rather than why is there material there at all. The back of the carry handle is about 5/8" thick, except in the scooped out area. Probably just to save on aluminum.

Dead horse properly beaten.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that not what I just said? Just in case you are confused, the OP was referring to the thin piece of metal left in the carry handle. Now read again what I said.

Visualize the receiver without the area in question, how strong does that look. With it it is stronger.

Works for me!
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the OP is referring to the "slots" on either side of the "rib". I don't think he is asking why the rib is there, as it clearly needs to be there for structural purposes. I think he means why are the "slots" there instead of the area being solid and flush with the sides of the carry handle, basically the lack of material, not the presence of the rib.

How I read it too BUT he was a bit vague.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not positive about this, but I always assumed that it was just unnecessary for there to be material there, so they profiled the forgings like that to reduce weight.

Correct. The A1 upper [really the whole of Stoner's original design] was a marvel of weight vs stiffness optimization, especially considering that it was done without CAD. The American Mechanical Engineers of the Greatest Generation were, well... the greatest - and I put Stoner in with the top tier. This generation's greatest achievement will be figuring out how to keep their pants riding at their butt crack without them falling down to their ankles .
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#15]
This reminds me of my friend, an engineer. On his retirement day as he is packing his desk. The bossman walks in and says "Bill, I hate to see you leaving us. Its going to be hard to find a replacement for what weve been paying you all these years."

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...This generation's greatest achievement will be figuring out how to keep their pants riding at their butt crack without them falling down to their ankles...

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#17]
So they'd have someplace to put forge codes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Beat me to it Morg!
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This reminds me of my friend, an engineer. On his retirement day as he is packing his desk. The bossman walks in and says "Bill, I hate to see you leaving us. Its going to be hard to find a replacement for what weve been paying you all these years."

OOF !!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Additional complex contours can actually strengthen a casting sometimes, even if it reduces overall outer dimensions. Not sure that is the case here. My guess is the original designers investigated before they produced it like that. It probably is a little weaker than having solid aluminum there, but still as strong or stronger than the front of the carry handle.

Mike_NDS could probably tell us more.

That's a complex subject.  I have heard that you cannot accomplish increased rigidity by removal alone.  If I recall rightly, you're referring to how stress is lessened by not having angles and corners.  (See below:  Notice the curve of the non-thread portion of the shaft.  It is to prevent stress points that can lead to breaking.)  From my amateur thought rigidity and durability are two separate concepts.  Can you elaborate?  And if I said anything wrong please let me know.  Materials fascinates the hell out of me.

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#22]
<removed>
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#23]
It's so they have a protected place to place their forge codes, ...duh.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I always thought it was to index the M203 quadrant sights.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top