Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2012 12:07:57 PM EDT
Have a slick a1 upper coming and not enough funds for the chrome carrier.  Can a standard bcg work in it?  
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Non-Chrome, standard carrier would be correct anyway for guu-5p.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks folks.  I am going to go this direction then.  Now to find a BCG that is not 150 plus shipping.  I need to get a new barrel first and install inthe 604 upper.  

I carried a GUU-5P my only tour in Afghanistan then transfered my commision to the Army.  Kinda went backwards but since I was going to play in the Dirt anyway might as well get a few commands under my belt.  

I already have a M4A1 like my first two tours to Iraq.  Just finished my last tour in Iraq build and got a A2 since my Reserve unit has M4s and A2s.  

I think I am the only officer who decided to qual on a Rifle and their pistol but I am not issued a M4 and we have 50 A2s sitting there I had one assigned to my S4 shop.  Good to be the S4 sometimes.

I sit behind a desk if we get mobilized so having a A2 is basically just so I can have something that can go farther than 50 yards.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I sit behind a desk if we get mobilized so having a A2 is basically just so I can have something that can go farther than 50 yards.

Just dont say that around the M4 guys. they'll flippy out
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Well when you have the old man (dang I am just in my thirties) shoot expert with a A2 and Sharpshooter with the M4 on popups and Expert on both with paper targets my guys respect that.  I also learned back my last tour in Iraq training Iraqis and put more rounds down witha  A2.  I still had my M4 for social work but training I carried both of them when i was running their range.  I was one of two people who had a deployment on my team and comming out of Polk was not fun.

I can shoot the M9 out to 50 yards, M4 with Acog I shoot better than the A2 but MTOE is CompM4s and I get a M9.  

Just to tell ya'll I was planning on doing the GUU with a A2 upper but saw a thread where a gentleman had 604 uppers with sight and said I am there.  Now to find a 16inch barrel. The cost to put a extended flashhider on my GUU would add $150 to my budget and I have a two A2 Flash hiders laying here.  

My 5.45 upper has a carry handle on it right now so I am good to go with that for a 727 build.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
There were some Colt BCGs for sale in the EE recently. Still may have some. They looked good - wish I didn't have so many bills right now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I am the same way.  I sold $275 dollars worth of stuff to get all this.  I might have to wait too long to get a BCG.  I have 2 extra charging handles so those are good to go.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Really, anything is "correct" in a GUU-5/P. The Air Force is notorious for sticking all different kinds of parts together in the older rifles and carbines. Have seen GUU-5/Ps with old 601/602 uppers without a forward assist and newer ratcheted carriers as well as newer uppers with a forward assist and old chrome slick-sided carriers.

This is one of the cooler ones...

Old CATM carbine.

...and the money shot - the gun came from Colt originally marked as a GAU. - 5/A/A.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Really, anything is "correct" in a GUU-5/P. The Air Force is notorious for sticking all different kinds of parts together in the older rifles and carbines. Have seen GUU-5/Ps with old 601/602 uppers without a forward assist and newer ratcheted carriers as well as newer uppers with a forward assist and old chrome slick-sided carriers.

This is one of the cooler ones...

Old CATM carbine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ripper11/arf/IMG_2399s.jpg

Awsome!  I think I need to send off a NDS lower to have engraved EXACTLY like this one!  Next build - now decided!
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Almost all of the GUU-5P carbines I have seen have had the chrome bolt group replaced with a parkerized one with the forward assist notches.  

The one I am getting rid of on GB has the chrome slick slide carrier, but I used what I had laying around for the build.  

I think all of the ones we have left in my squadron have A1 type uppers, but I have seen a few A2s and the majority were 604s.  As we get more M4s they have been getting phased out.  

When I worked at Davis-Monthan I saw a couple re-stamped GAUs like the picture above.  Most were simply rebuilt M16s marked Colt AR15.  I still kind of like the GUU over the M4 since it is lighter.  I do like the M68 with my aging eyes though.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Awsome!  I think I need to send off a NDS lower to have engraved EXACTLY like this one!  Next build - now decided!
Thanks!

IM sent.

Quoted:
Almost all of the GUU-5P carbines I have seen have had the chrome bolt group replaced with a parkerized one with the forward assist notches.  

The one I am getting rid of on GB has the chrome slick slide carrier, but I used what I had laying around for the build.  

I think all of the ones we have left in my squadron have A1 type uppers, but I have seen a few A2s and the majority were 604s.  As we get more M4s they have been getting phased out.  

When I worked at Davis-Monthan I saw a couple re-stamped GAUs like the picture above.  Most were simply rebuilt M16s marked Colt AR15.  I still kind of like the GUU over the M4 since it is lighter.  I do like the M68 with my aging eyes though.  

Part of the reason I like the GUU-5/Ps for a build/project, there really isn't a "wrong" way to build it. The Air Force has just assembled a piles of parts in every different fashion, so pick your poison. M4 barrel profile seems like the easiest as they are the easiest to get, but the GUU-5/P carbines also used the lightweight 14.5-inch barrel too. Any upper from a 601 to an A2 is "correct" (maybe not the 605, but that doesn't mean the AF didn't have em ). All the GUUs I've seen have A1 style lowers (so do many M16 "A2s" - converted from older A1 guns) and slip rings rather than delta rings... have never seen a GUU with a delta ring (again, doesn't mean they aren't/weren't out there).

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#12]
...and because we must appease the arf.com gods with more pics!

some more GUU-5/P pr0n

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I love it.

I am so building that.

I loved my old GUU-5P.  Best rifle I have shot and that includes new Colts, FNs, LMTs, and Scars in my time in the Air Force and Army.

It just felt correct.  I would have gone with the 14.5inch or 16 inch carbine but the price of a 16 inch M4 barrel is so low and I do not have to pay $155 to perm attach a flash hider.  

Now I need to find my A2 Flash hider it is somewhere around here....

Now with going with the 16 inch chrome lined I paid $145 complete after discount and left enough for one of the Colt BCGs to buy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Should I go 14.5 or 16 inches on the GUU?

I would save 50 bucks going the 16 inch barrel but if I go the 14.5 I have to get an extended A2 or I could go with one of the 14.7s.  

I still prefer the A2 over many of the new Flash Hinders out there except the Smith Vrotex.  I have two for my Gemtech G5.  

Rich
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 4:18:15 AM EDT
[#15]
That's no lie that the USAF comes up with the strangest things to slap a GUU-5/P designation on...and nothing is really standard.  When I was at Hurlburt Field, we had 5 GUU-5/Ps in the armory that were pretty much 727's with M4 barrels, A2 uppers, CAR or M4 stocks and A1 lowers.  Now over here at Camp Guernsey on the other hand, we have the same GUU-5/P designations on rifles that have either lightweight or M4 barrels, 604 slick-side uppers, CAR stocks, A1 lowers and the bolt carriers can be chrome, or black with or without forward assist serrations.  Like I said, there just doesn't really seem to be any standard to what a GUU-5/P should be.  When I built my GUU-5/P clone, I pretty much built a 727 like I carried when I first came back into the USAF.  Now I am thinking of building another GUU-5/P like I use now here at Guernsey with an M4 barrel, 604 upper, chrome bolt and carrier.  Dang, if I stick around this USAF stuf much longer, I will have a rack full of GUU's and none of them alike!
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I like the AF carbines because they are everything an AR should be - lightweight, compact, effective. They aren't about pretty, or having the latest gear, they just do the job. THink my favorite is the 610 though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's no lie that the USAF comes up with the strangest things to slap a GUU-5/P designation on...and nothing is really standard.  When I was at Hurlburt Field, we had 5 GUU-5/Ps in the armory that were pretty much 727's with M4 barrels, A2 uppers, CAR or M4 stocks and A1 lowers.  Now over here at Camp Guernsey on the other hand, we have the same GUU-5/P designations on rifles that have either lightweight or M4 barrels, 604 slick-side uppers, CAR stocks, A1 lowers and the bolt carriers can be chrome, or black with or without forward assist serrations.  Like I said, there just doesn't really seem to be any standard to what a GUU-5/P should be.  When I built my GUU-5/P clone, I pretty much built a 727 like I carried when I first came back into the USAF.  Now I am thinking of building another GUU-5/P like I use now here at Guernsey with an M4 barrel, 604 upper, chrome bolt and carrier.  Dang, if I stick around this USAF stuf much longer, I will have a rack full of GUU's and none of them alike!

Near as I can tell "GUU-5/P" is used to refer to any GAU-5.... variant that has been updated with a 1/7 barrel compatible with modern M855 ammuntion.  

Barrels are both .750 M4 barrels as well as .625 RO723 barrels - other components are literally any other combination of parts that have been used on USAF carbines or M16s.  

Every GUU-5/P I have ever seen, however, has had a 1/7 barrel, and no GAU-5.... whatever is equipped with one.  IMHO, the "GUU-5/P" could be characterized as nothing more than a modernization program and "blanket" designation for any carbine that has been made current.  Whether it's an otherwise standard M4A1 that happens to have a late-604 lower, or a slabsided, non-FA, .625 barreled, vinyl-acetate aluminum stock franken carbine.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Most of the GUU's I used had A1 uppers but I fondles a couple A2 uppered ones.  One had a no kidding Vietnam era lower, i question if it was even an A1 or a M16 original.  Sweet piece of history.  The armory hereon base has a pile of GUU's and M79's collecting dust in lockers.  I so wish that stuff could be sold as surplus.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I know it is not going to be totally retro but I went with a mid length cold hammer frogerd barrel from Rainer Arms.  Decided on the 16 inch with out the perm flash hider and if I do not like it I can switch it out with my Colt 6920 barrel.  I just have issues with the wait times with DSA 2-3 weeks, 2 weeks, 2 weeks.  I had bought an upper from them earlier this year and it never came.  I have middy handguards from my Middy AR already and a Colt N marked stock so it should be good to go.  

I know not a direct clone but 16 inch M4 verse 16 inch middy is a little of a no brainer in my little mind.  Price on the barrel was only $40 dollars difference for a cold hammer forged barrel.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounds good to me. Posting pics when it is done is mandatory you understand...
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know it is not going to be totally retro but I went with a mid length cold hammer frogerd barrel from Rainer Arms.  Decided on the 16 inch with out the perm flash hider and if I do not like it I can switch it out with my Colt 6920 barrel.  I just have issues with the wait times with DSA 2-3 weeks, 2 weeks, 2 weeks.  I had bought an upper from them earlier this year and it never came.  I have middy handguards from my Middy AR already and a Colt N marked stock so it should be good to go.  

I know not a direct clone but 16 inch M4 verse 16 inch middy is a little of a no brainer in my little mind.  Price on the barrel was only $40 dollars difference for a cold hammer forged barrel.

They're right up there with Bushmaster on their backorders.  "Next month for sure!"

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's my GUU-5/P SBR. Built one just like it for my dad except with an A2X pinned for legal length. Still thinking about cutting mine down to 12.5 then kryloning the whole thing.

RC

ETA: I did exactly what I thought I might do. Well almost exactly. There was a miscommunication with the shop that did the barrel work and it got chopped to 12.0. Still, I'm happy.

I call it the GUU-5/Pk.

They didn't touch the gas port. I hope that the .063 Colt gas hole works at 12.0. Otherwise I guess I will have to open it a hair.

RC
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry guys I haven't read the whole thread,
But basically I can throw all my leftover parts
together and slap a GUU stamp on it?
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Pictures will be posted.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I just ran across 14.5 m4 style barrels on ebay of all places, $125 bucks. Guess they are loosening up a bit
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Well I kinda wanted Chrome lined so that put me at 166 after shipping and then next best was palmetto state at $199.  I was looking at the grand scheme of things and 50 bucks for a pin and weld and 30-40 bucks for a extended A2.  After adding the extended I was already over a big penny and I have only one middy to go with my 4 Carbines, SPR Rifle gas, and A2.  Granted I am going to order the XS sights anyway.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:22:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been tire kicking the idea of a GUU-5/P build myself to use up some of my "spares" on the workbench.  I currently have a slick side upper, used/abused surplus M-4 handguards and a used/abused surplus fiberlite stock.  About the only way these parts could realisticly come together is by building a GUU!  LOL

I'm thinking an M-4 barrel and a "standard" bolt carrier with FA cuts, along with a NDS M-16a1 lower are in my future.....  
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#29]

The Rifle is done.

Decided to go with a mid length barrel from Palmetto State Armory and their cold hammer forged barrels were cheaper in the lightweight configuration and in stock, already had C8 handguards, Colt CAR stock, Colt 4 postion tube, Colt slick side upper, Colt LPK, Colt BCG, 7075 charging handle from LWRCi, LWRCI A2 flash hider, Lower is a Sharps Rifle Company with magpul trigger guard and TD BG-16 grip.  Trigger pull is 5.5-6lbs, and it was finished with a VTAC 2 point padded sling.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice.

I really like the proportions of the middies.

Not that I am biased...

I didn't keep the fiberlite long though.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nice.

Not that I am biased...

http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/47865/2511860790041331668S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/47813/2602885740041331668S600x600Q85.jpg

Love it, nice job on both counts.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nice.

Not that I am biased...

http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/47865/2511860790041331668S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/47813/2602885740041331668S600x600Q85.jpg

You should really try a GP style sling on that. I tie the rear loop Israeli-style around the buttstock to the sling swivel, so it slips off the end of the stock easily. You can then carry it SMG style and it will come right up to aim easily and is VERY fast. You have to adjust the sling, but once you do it's tits. You can still 'hasty sling' it too for more control if the sling is adjusted correctly. Doing transtions to hand gun is easy as well - you grab it by the HG with the right hand and 'throw' the muzzle down and back to your right, and the weapon is now slung from your back, muzzle down, perfect for climbing or going to the pistol. All these fancy pull and grab, disconnect, multiple loop systems are BS compared to the simplicity of the GP sling on a fixed stock carbine. I'm telling you, it's incredibly fast, and requires zero adjustment. I know it seems almost too good to be true, but because there's no adjustment in the stock, and it's smooth, the paracord slides right off. Once you get used to it, it's easy to slide it right back on - VERY comfy to carry a loaded weapon this way, great for guard duty or patrolling.

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
...Old CATM carbine.

ham-handed armorer dented the magwell with his stamp...

edited to add: oh, but i would still give left nut to own it....
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Z09SS, I really like your mid-length with the buttstock.  That is a perfectly balanced to my eyes.  Nice and legal 16" length, plenty of buffer to balance out the bolt.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 5:10:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I might have to get a A1 stock or a entry stock and put it on the build.  A1 would be good since I am not wearing armor when I am rocking this carbine.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I tried a SUlly stock and found it was just a little short for me, plus heavy as hell! I'd like to try a cutdown A1, but the A1 just really works for me. Like you said, if you're not wearing armor, it's perfect.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

ham-handed armorer dented the magwell with his stamp...

edited to add: oh, but i would still give left nut to own it....

indentation is very evident - wonder if it interferes with mag insertion/drop-free?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top