Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/7/2012 12:49:18 PM EDT
Do the duckbill or improved 3 prong flash hiders make a pinging sound when you fire through them?

I have a sensitivity to headaches, and the "tuning fork" noise of Vortex and Blackout flash hiders set them off easily. If they do, I'll have to build an A1 instead of a 602.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
"I have a headache, and it has Improved 3 prong flash hider written all over it"

They do make a ping sound....but not as bad as some others.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
On the plus side, they are cheap (improved 3-prong) and you're not out much. I haven't fired a duckbill, but I'm guessing they'd be no different than a Vortex. You might be better off with an A1.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"I have a headache, and it has Improved 3 prong flash hider written all over it"

LOL - Yes, a bad prognosis
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW.  Recently ran ~240 rounds through a 1967 SP1 with three prong flash hider (not duckbill) .  Heard more of the "boing" from the action spring than anything else.  Was wearing full ear cover hearing protectors, not earplugs.

As an added bonus (shameless plug) the NDS mag I used didn't "waffle" through ~120+ rounds, and it sure looked cool...  
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Never noticed.  Do shoot with protection.  Have even had bullet hitting a bent prong and never heard a ping.  Have heard a sproing from buffer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Haven't heard a ping from the 3-prong or duckbill, but I personally love the "sproing/boing" sound in the buffer tube...it let's me know everything is operating properly.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#8]
So duckbills have no noticable resonance? Like I said, I'd never noticed anything with the improved 3-prong, but I kind of figured the duckbill would be similiar to the Vortex or Blackout. Could it be since the duckbill is thinner it dissipates more readily? Interesting. I guess the Op would HATE a Garand...
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 4:29:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess the Op would HATE a Garand

Same crossed my thoughts.  Personally kinda like the twing sound made when kicking the stripper.  Sure added to "Band of Brothers" movie authenticity.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 4:37:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Never heard a ping here.

But the flash hider on an AC556 or Mini-14GB most certainly has a ring when fired.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
The original duckbills definitely make a ping.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So duckbills have no noticable resonance? Like I said, I'd never noticed anything with the improved 3-prong, but I kind of figured the duckbill would be similiar to the Vortex or Blackout. Could it be since the duckbill is thinner it dissipates more readily? Interesting. I guess the Op would HATE a Garand...

Vortex and Blackout have much longer prongs than a duckbill.  I suspect this is why the resonance is more readily apparent with those two.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haven't heard a ping from the 3-prong or duckbill, but I personally love the "sproing/boing" sound in the buffer tube...it let's me know everything is operating properly.

+1

++1  The  way that Sprroii-Doiinnnngggg.... resonates from the stock pressed near your inner ear.  Ahhhh.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't want to say you're wrong... Fact is, "OlGunner" isn't just a name, it's what I am.  I used to shoot for a living and some of the things I shot made big noises.  Spend a few years in the career and you pay a price.  In my case, it was a good bit of my hearing.  But with that disclaimer freely shared, I have never detected a pinging sound from any of my duckbills or 3-prongs.
If they "ping", it must be at one of the many sonic frequencies the capacity for hearing of which I left in my youth.  (I'll diagram that sentence later and figure out where it went wrong.)
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to say you're wrong... Fact is, "OlGunner" isn't just a name, it's what I am.  I used to shoot for a living and some of the things I shot made big noises.  Spend a few years in the career and you pay a price.  In my case, it was a good bit of my hearing.  But with that disclaimer freely shared, I have never detected a pinging sound from any of my duckbills or 3-prongs.
If they "ping", it must be at one of the many sonic frequencies the capacity for hearing of which I left in my youth.  (I'll diagram that sentence later and figure out where it went wrong.)

Rack the charging handle and they ping.

When shooting most the sound is over ridden by the recoil spring next to your head and the sound of the rifle discharge, but they definitely ping/ring at a high frequency.  My dad can't hear it but he worked on an Air Force flight line for 9 years and freely admits the high pitch whine of F-102s, F-111's and C-130's took a notch out of his hearing.

Our repros are made to the same material and heat reat spec as the originals and a good tap with the finger will get them to ring- certainley not as loud as an AAC (longer prongs make for a louder sounds, along with different steel grade and heat treat can affect it) but the duckbills do make a little bit of a ringing sound or "ping" when fired.

ALso there does seem to be some sort of neurological reason for it- I know people with very good hearing who don't notice it as much (likely they are more focused on the actual shooting), but I am known to be extremely sensitive to the environment around me (need pitch black and no noise to sleep!) which is also know as "being picky"

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Huh? Huh?  I can't hear anything!
Of course I've spent a lifetime shooting without hearing protection a lot of it because I didn't have/take time to put it in my ears.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#19]
What?!  no jk.  Interesting im curious now.  are you hearing this w earplugs ?
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 2:07:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Been thinking about that.

I seem to recall having seen a youtube video where a rifle with a three-prong sounded obviously and greatly different from a rifle with a bird cage.
However, I had a three-prong (I think maybe DPMS made, bought through Del-Ton) on a rifle for a while and I can't say that I noticed a difference when I put the A1 birdcage on it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 5:30:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I do notice a distinct ringing sound of the Vortex and similar muzzle devices.

With muzzle breaks, most of them operate on or around the same fequency that many people's vagus nerve is innervated at, and will cause nausea within a few firings.

When running courses, I specifically ask attendees not to bring a blaster with a muzzle break with the large gills, like a Miculek or JP "tank" break, because I and my safeties will be sick to our stomachs, with headaches halfway through the first day.  Some guys even get vertigo from being around them, unless they're shooting the offending weapon, where the sonic lobes don't resonate.  Sounds like a bunch of BS, but I have shared this phenomenon with other instructors and shooters, and we all seem to be in agreement.

My father also said there was work done on sonic weapons to specifically trigger people's stomach nerve and intestinal nerves to cause involuntary vomiting and violent diarrhea, and he may have been involved with their development as early as the late 1960's/early 70's.

OP's concerns are valid.  Likelihood of experiencing the effects as the shooter are minimal to none with the 3-prong, but maybe slightly possible as a bystander.  I would just try it out and see first.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When running courses, I specifically ask attendees not to bring a blaster with a muzzle break with the large gills, like a Miculek or JP "tank" break, because I and my safeties will be sick to our stomachs, with headaches halfway through the first day.  Some guys even get vertigo from being around them, unless they're shooting the offending weapon, where the sonic lobes don't resonate.  Sounds like a bunch of BS, but I have shared this phenomenon with other instructors and shooters, and we all seem to be in agreement.

It happens.  In fact, don't flash-bangs work on exactly this principle?  Many countries limit the number of rounds troops are allowed to fire out of large weapons, like the M/48 Carl Gustav for example, during training due to the effects of the blast wave on the body.  Shoot too much, and it screws up your intestines.

To me it almost seems like while each individual shot is insignificant, some of those brakes can direct the blast in such a way that, over time, the effect becomes cumulative and noticeable.  They had a "Tac-rifle" course set up at a range out here for a match once.  They had a stage that was pretty cramped, like a mocked up hallway.  A few of us were shooting big bore guns, classic battle rifles...8mm Mauser, 30-06, .303 British, etc.  The RO and SO actually looked like they were suffering some physical effects after running everybody through that stage, and I remember actually feeling funny for a split second every time I pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 2:16:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes, we had those restrictions with firing the AT4 84mm Anti-Tank rockets, but we ignored them when doing SPENDEX's at the end of the fiscal year.  We cracked open case after case of AT4's, and fired them off like they were .22 LR, since nobody in our entire Regiment had used their allotment that year.  My poor Scout Platoon got left with the duty to expend all these munitions, as well as the demo.  It took 8 days to blow the demo, and we still didn't get it all IIRC.  

Yes, when running through the house with large-bore weapons, it gets pretty abusive to your senses.  The worst is stepping into a room where one of your M60 or M240 gunners is rocking away, and it feels like being boxed to the head and face by a heavy-weight champion on a crack-induced bag drill at 550-850 punches per minute.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 2:34:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I do notice a distinct ringing sound of the Vortex and similar muzzle devices.

With muzzle breaks, most of them operate on or around the same fequency that many people's vagus nerve is innervated at, and will cause nausea within a few firings.

My father also said there was work done on sonic weapons to specifically trigger people's stomach nerve and intestinal nerves to cause involuntary vomiting and violent diarrhea, and he may have been involved with their development as early as the late 1960's/early 70's.

OP's concerns are valid.  Likelihood of experiencing the effects as the shooter are minimal to none with the 3-prong, but maybe slightly possible as a bystander.  I would just try it out and see first.[/quote

very intresting. thanks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, I'm not sure why but it's like nails on chalkboard to me. Some people have different triggers like bright lights, and for me it's tuning forks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes, I'm not sure why but it's like nails on chalkboard to me. Some people have different triggers like bright lights, and for me it's tuning forks.

Used to have a coon hound who was like that. Any time I'd need to get his attention to stop doing something he wasn't supposed to; I'd tap on something that would ring with that ongoing certain pitch and he would stop in his tracks and look up with his head cocked over, and then run for the corner and behave until I stopped it. Much more humane than a newspaper, and got the same results.

I miss that dog...
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Check out the first few minutes of this film posted by vlado (Colt 601/602 footage):

Listen to the shots fired. Is this what you guys are talking about?
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Check out the first few minutes of this film posted by vlado (Colt 601/602 footage):

That's the sound I'm talking about, and man is that a beautiful sound or what? boy it really drives home just how long the M16 has been around seeing that old reel huh?
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the sound I'm talking about, and man is that a beautiful sound or what? boy it really drives home just how long the M16 has been around seeing that old reel huh?

I dig it; reminds me of the Garand's *ping* sound.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top