Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/10/2012 1:11:30 PM EDT
I have been lurking the EE now for a number of months looking for a solid bronze slip ring.  I have picked a few, but once I get them in, they always have a different appearance than I had hoped.  It is not misrepresentation of the posters, I think it is just that camera lighting can make things just look different.

Here are the funky slip rings I have collected.  I am wondering if a long soak in some nasty, used CLP might make for a more bronze slip ring, or is this just wishful thinking?  I think my best candidate for this would be the second to last.  The one on top is a really cool color, but it is more of a dirty gold color than bronze.  

The bronze slip ring color that I am looking for is on this rifle here.  That is not my rifle.  It was posted by someone else, perhaps on a different forum, awhile back.  That photo is what got me off the couch and in to the swap meets and EE looking for that awesome color of retro.

Also, I do not know if this is the kind of color that can be anodized on to a normal, say black color, slip ring.  Anyone had any luck having a flat slip ring anodized into the color shown above on that rifle?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Megaro, that slipring looks more "plum" to me than anything else although that may be a color difference between our monitors, lighting, etc...

I think that color is a product of a couple things. I remember reading awhile ago of the effects of UV rays on certain anodized parts colored with certain dyes. I seem to recall that the Harrington & Richardson produced AR's
exhibited this kind of color after long term field use and it was attributed to the dyes breaking down from UV rays. If I were attempting to accomplish what you seek to do, I would first seek out a slipring from an H&R rifle if that is at all possible, and then attempt some kind of chemical reaction by soaking in some Hoppe's or something. Hopefully someone else here can confirm what my feeble memory has conjured up regarding that color, and can offer further assistance.

ETA: You might try some science on that second to last one you have...looks to be closest to the pic you provided.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Every once in a great while a bronze one will pop up in EE. I must say tho, that is a mighty fine looking gold one you have there....
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that color is referred to as "purplish", since there was a run or purple-black slip rings at one point.  The guide lists when they were used and by whom.

If you want to divest of that top one, I'd be interested in it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting idea about the effects of the sun.  I bought the one second from the top and second from the bottom during the purple slip ring run / craze.  However, they are very light in color in person.  My thought was that the color darkening effects of a good long soak in CLP might be the ticket.  Yet, I think I recall recently one of our members soaking a purplish upper in CLP for about 3 weeks, and it removed the purple color and turned dark gray.  This is what I do not want to happen, although I think this is what the poster had in mind to tone down the purplish color on his upper.  Interesting about the H&R connection.

Any other chemical kind of concoction beyond CLP that anyone thinks would work?  I have darn near a Hazmat locker full of thinners, noxious fume producing liquids and all other goodies I score at Lowes for removing and coloring of paint and anodizing.  All waiting to serve.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
you may want to shoot victor at us anodizing a note.  he was able to create the bronze finish for somebob and should be able to do the same for a slip ring.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The slip ring on that NoDak Spud rifle is purple on my monitor, too...but the worn magazine exhibits a bronze color in places...  
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The slip ring on that NoDak Spud rifle is purple on my monitor, too...but the worn magazine exhibits a bronze color in places...  

+1 Purple. I am planning a bronze build myself and plan on having Victor do some work for me. I went back and forth between a 'new' grey XM177E1 build and bronze - the BTDT bronze look won out. Just gotta do it. Special gun, special finish. I guess I don't know why you don't like the top slip ring. If you don't want it, contact me via IM and I'll take it off your hands!

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Morg, I like that slip ring on top plenty.  It is just not for the project I am currently working on.  Whenever a certain governmental agency approves a certain transfer to me, I plan to send that slip ring to Victor to see if he can finish the upper and lower of said machinegun in that finish.  It actually has two kinds of anodizing, a dark gray on top and the a dirty, goldish color underneath.  

So now I am building rifles from the slip ring out.  Just one more AR and then I am finished . . . . . . . .  No really, this time I mean it
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I would contact Dean Lucy.He used to have plenty of slip rings.Might could pull out a bronze one for you.I can't remember his email but I'm sure M1sniper or someone else has it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#10]
You know, I had a feeling you'd say something like that. I can't afford Class III stuff, just an SBR or two. Maybe someday I can afford an M16 - nothing as nice as Olgunner's 601 mind you, likely just a transferable A1 or A2, whichever's cheaper. I do hold out hope that I can afford at least an M2 carbine at some point, but my real 'Holy Grail' is a nice Johnson Automatic rifle, and that requires no tax stamp at all. The LMG version would really be tits, but I'll settle for what I get.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would contact Dean Lucy.He used to have plenty of slip rings.Might could pull out a bronze one for you.I can't remember his email but I'm sure M1sniper or someone else has it.

[email protected]

Last time I talked to Dean he was out of sliprings, but that was before Christmas. He did mention that he would have more coming.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I have put in an email to Dean.  This is the rifle I am working on that could benefit from a deep purple slip ring.  This is going to be my Tet rifle.

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I've found more of the purplish slip rings on arsenal refurbished uppers than any other color.  Definately not a rare piece.  Should be able to swap with someone.  Plus 1 on the Victor color match.  Definately the easiest way to get the color you want.  It's what he does.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Same here. The mags should be copper coated under the grey.

Link Posted: 6/11/2012 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I gave away 3 or 4 purple slip rings on the EE a couple years ago. TIMING!
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#16]
PrimaryIndustries always has an ad on GunBroker like they have piles of flat rings, you might message them and see if they have any bronze or plum colored ones.

PrimaryInd Flat Slip Rings on GB
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Finally scored on the purple slip rings!  Big thanks to Dean L. and to Jerrell Heatnbeat.
Here is the purple slip ring:

And a full shot of the rifle

Dean L. was kind enough to provide me with a source of slip rings in the past.  He sent a few more my way this time, and they are excellent as always.  He is a real pleasure to deal with.  But soon after I posted the message, Jerrell contacted me and said he had one that would fit the bill.  I am still a new guy here, and Jerrell and I have never had any business before.  He went to the effort of sending me the ones he thought would work to preview them.  Of course, they were keepers.  But I was blown away by the number of folks here who offered to help.  I was also moved by Jerrell just sending me something out of the blue, not really knowing me, to check out and return if they were not what I was looking for.  I need to make another stop at the PIF thread and put something else out there.

In any event, the purple slip ring quest for me has reached a happy conclusion.  The pics speak for themselves.  It may not be to everyone's taste, but I personally think a funky purple slip ring on the black rifle gives it that extra dash of cool.

Guys, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#18]
but I personally think a funky purple slip ring on the black rifle gives it that extra dash of cool.

Guys, thanks!

I agree! looks great sir.....glad it ended well for you

And props to heatnbeat for his accomodating you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Good looking 603!
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#20]
It may not be to everyone's taste, but I personally think a funky purple slip ring on the black rifle gives it that extra dash of cool.

I like them also.  Rifle looks real nice.  Glad you got it together.  I've also got a purple charging handle and upper.  I'm saying mine was a dipped re-arsenal.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Finally scored on the purple slip rings!  Big thanks to Dean L. and to Jerrell Heatnbeat.
Here is the purple slip ring:

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/6808/purple2.jpg

And a full shot of the rifle

http://imageshack.us/a/img21/3008/purple1s.jpg

Dean L. was kind enough to provide me with a source of slip rings in the past.  He sent a few more my way this time, and they are excellent as always.  He is a real pleasure to deal with.  But soon after I posted the message, Jerrell contacted me and said he had one that would fit the bill.  I am still a new guy here, and Jerrell and I have never had any business before.  He went to the effort of sending me the ones he thought would work to preview them.  Of course, they were keepers.  But I was blown away by the number of folks here who offered to help.  I was also moved by Jerrell just sending me something out of the blue, not really knowing me, to check out and return if they were not what I was looking for.  I need to make another stop at the PIF thread and put something else out there.

In any event, the purple slip ring quest for me has reached a happy conclusion.  The pics speak for themselves.  It may not be to everyone's taste, but I personally think a funky purple slip ring on the black rifle gives it that extra dash of cool.

Guys, thanks!

I thought Dean would have a lead on some
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top